Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Road Dawg

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    30

    Default flea & tick season

    Hi, Now that flea an tick season is upon us here in NJ anyway, what measures do you take to prevent them from invading your pyrs beautiful hair?I have always used front-line on my dogs and cats, but this is the first time I have ever owned a dog with so much hair. Would front-line and a flea collar do the trick plus combing her everyday? Your input would be appreciated Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Flock Guardian (Moderator)


    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    529
      fluffylove`s Photos

    Default

    Our vet, (breeder and rescue as well) suggests Advantage topical for fleas. Our boy got it last year (we aren't far from you) and the advantage got rid of it in one try. I baithed him, brushed him, but the advantage gets rid of all of them. If you know there are many around good to use as prevention. I have it around in case I spot them. We are in the city, so only if we run through bushes do I give it to him.

  3. #3
    Road Dawg

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Hi FluffyLove, I wish it were that easy, but I live in the country part of new jersey, with plenty of animals, so I think she has to be protected 24/7

  4. #4
    Young Dawg (Member) Klondike202's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17

    Smile I live in NY

    Hello Members:

    I live in New York and fleas and Ticks arent such a big problem because I live in the city. I recently bought a Frontline flea and Tick collar. Is that enough or should I have further protection? If I should have further protection, does anyone have any reccomendations?

  5. #5
    Road Dawg Samsmom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    Hi, Now that flea an tick season is upon us here in NJ anyway, what measures do you take to prevent them from invading your pyrs beautiful hair?I have always used front-line on my dogs and cats, but this is the first time I have ever owned a dog with so much hair. Would front-line and a flea collar do the trick plus combing her everyday? Your input would be appreciated Thanks in advance
    Hey Guys,
    Although Sam is my first Pyr, I have always had extremely furry dogs. I now live in Ohio but used to live in Florida where tick and flea season is about all year round. I use K9 Advantix or Advantix Plus on my dogs. It repels and kills ticks, fleas and mosquitoes and repels biting flies. I think it is the only one that does the mosquitos and flies. It worked great on my Alaskan Malamutes and other dogs. And my dogs, even little Sam get wet alot. I think it works great and we already here in Ohio have the ticks out. I got one off me yesterday but checked Sam and he is good. I wish they would make that stuff for people. That is all I use and it works for us you might talk to your vet about it too. Have a Happy Easter to all that celebrate it.
    Chris

  6. #6
    Road Dawg

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samsmom
    Hey Guys,
    Although Sam is my first Pyr, I have always had extremely furry dogs. I now live in Ohio but used to live in Florida where tick and flea season is about all year round. I use K9 Advantix or Advantix Plus on my dogs. It repels and kills ticks, fleas and mosquitoes and repels biting flies. I think it is the only one that does the mosquitos and flies. It worked great on my Alaskan Malamutes and other dogs. And my dogs, even little Sam get wet alot. I think it works great and we already here in Ohio have the ticks out. I got one off me yesterday but checked Sam and he is good. I wish they would make that stuff for people. That is all I use and it works for us you might talk to your vet about it too. Have a Happy Easter to all that celebrate it.
    Chris
    Thanks Samsmom, I have never tried Advantix, but your not the first person I have heard rave about it, alot of people say its better than frontline. I am going to have to get some, Thanks Again

  7. #7
    Young Dawg (Member) Klondike202's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    17

    Red face

    Hello Members:

    I live in New York and fleas and Ticks arent such a big problem because I live in the city. I recently bought a Frontline flea and Tick collar. Is that enough or should I have further protection? If I should have further protection, does anyone have any reccomendations?

  8. #8
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Jewel's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,740
      Jewel`s Photos

    Default

    Hey Klondike,

    In my experience, flea collars do not work well for a pyr because of the density of their coat. The effectiveness is limited to the neck and shoulder areas; the fleas can live happily in the back half of the dog! Also, the flea collar I used left an ugly yellow ring around my dog's neck.

    The Advantix and Frontline do work pretty well, and like the others have already said, if you don't want to use those products monthly, you can just save them for when you have an infestation. If you only find an oocasional flea here and there and Klondike is not allergic to them, baths would take care of those odd few fleas. There are also a lot of information on the net on herbal flea repellents. I've never used them so I don't know how well they work.

    In Texas we do get pretty bad flea problems. Starting last year I started giving my dogs garlic and vitamin B daily. All I saw was occasional one or maybe two fleas during baths (I didn't see fleas in every bath). I am continuing with the same routine this year so we will see what happens. If it doesn't work this year, I will go to Advantix or Frontline.

  9. #9
    Puppy (New Member)

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    Hey Klondike,

    In Texas we do get pretty bad flea problems. Starting last year I started giving my dogs garlic and vitamin B daily. All I saw was occasional one or maybe two fleas during baths (I didn't see fleas in every bath). I am continuing with the same routine this year so we will see what happens. If it doesn't work this year, I will go to Advantix or Frontline.

    Really vitamin B? How do you give it to them?

  10. #10
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) Jewel's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,740
      Jewel`s Photos

    Default

    Hey LilMissMeagan, I rotate between vitamin B capsules (I use capsules because I open them up and dump the powder into their food) and nutritional yeast. Since pyrs are large, they can take the full human dosage, though I do buy the lower dosage ones. Luckily my dogs will eat anything so I don't have issues with them eating around the supplements I put in their food

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •