Thread: doggie boots

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Default doggie boots

Has anyone tried boots on your dogs? If you have, could you let me know what brand really works. I've been checking out Neopaws and would love to hear from anyone who has tried boots on their dogs. Thanks.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Jewel
    Yes I have tried Muttuks on my Pyrs & Aussies, mainly to keep their paws from building up ice balls between their toes. We live in Alaska where the snow is deep, saying that, the Pyr's always knew how to get rid of their boots...go into the deepest snow they could find. The boots would get so packed with snow, they would come right off...to be found in the Spring! I also wasn't keen on the way they fit due to the double dew claws on the Pyrs, seemed like the strap to tighten them fits too close to them and didn't allow for a snug fit. I have given up on the boot idea and just watch their feet when we walk and try to take care of the ice buildup before it gets too out of control. I have seen different product to apply to their paws, like an ointment type, but have never tried them.

Jewel`s Photos

Hey thanks! I am trying to buy boots for my godchild who is a rhodesian ridgeback. She has automimmune disease which is causing her nails to become very brittle and break off at the quick. Because of the condition of her nails, she can't go out walking anymore - she hasn't gone on a walk in 5 months. I thought that if she wore boots, she may be able to take short walks without further damaging her nails and causing pain. We are in Dallas, so snow is not an issue. How do the boots work on the aussies?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Default doggy boots

Hi Jewel
    The Muttluks worked well on the Aussie's. Easier to tighten up on the straps that keep them on since there are no double dew claws to worry about.
    The Muttluks don't breath all that well for a Dallas type of climate, so maybe the Neopaws are the answer.
    By the way, good advice on the newly adopted Pyr of jkmckin.
    Hope that they can gets the trust in humans back for this Pyr.