Default Yogurt and New puppy

Good morning all,
    I am new to the site and have a question. I have a 9 week old puppy. Sam was wormed by the vet last week and had a bit of loose stool. The vet had me give him some Yogurt it seems to have done the trick. My question is: I have since read here and some other places that giving them yogurt is good for them. How much and how often?? I have had dogs both large breed and small most of my life and have never done this before. He seems to like it and if it is good for him. What the heck...but I don't want to give him too much. Or cause him harm. He is a great puppy, somewhat butt-headed but great other than that.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I typically only give my dogs yogurt after they've finished a course of antibiotics, or when my more sensitive dogs have some tummy issues (after Fourth of July fireworks, etc.). I know some people give their dogs a tablespoon at each feeding. It can be difficult if the dog does not finish the food because it can spoil relatively quickly.

Road Dawg

My 3 yr.old has had loose to runny stool from the day we rescued her. For the last yr. she gets 1 tbl.spoon with 2 cups of dry food every meal. The brand is Krogers plain house brand yogart. Since that day we have had a little problem now and then but that is caused by table scraps mainly salmon it's a little to rich for her.

Jim

Thanks guys. I will give him some with his last feeding of the day/night. He generally eats every thing I give him. I am feeding him 4 times a day. He seems to like it and I have the Dannon plain but I will try the Krogers sometimes. I eat it too and have never tried the Krogers one. Thanks again.
    Chris

Old Dawg (Senior Member) ImWithThePyr's Avatar

ImWithThePyr`s Photos

This is just my opinion... but I would give a probotic that is free of calcium instead of yogurt. I am always concerned about calcium intake for large and giant breed puppies. The reason for feeding yogurt is because of the probotics in it.

Like I said, though, that's just me.

Puppy (New Member)

Exclamation

Hello
    Babe is 6 mo.s old now and when we rescued him he was on pedigree we switched him to blue buffalo ...he had some problems with his coat and of course he was taken from mom to early ...Babe had no fur on his tail or back paws ... I was advised by breeders of show quality dogs to get him on a holistic diet...they also highly advised barf but I don't care for the idea of giving my dog raw meat. He is doing great on the diet... but! I can't give him just the blue yet, I'm still mixing it with the pedigree ...I also have to put rice and pumpkin in with his food if I don't he is very gasy and his poo is like water ...as it is his poo is not always solid and also I have to put fresh pineapple in because he's a poo eating pyr ... I have to wonder how long will it take for him to ajust to this blue buffalo...should I try a new food ? I don't know what to do and I'll tell ya the vet dosn't seem to be to worried about it!
    But I am ...also he always seems to be hungry like a bottomless pit I know he's gettin plenty to eat he is already 70lbs... he dose not get table scraps or anything bad for him his treats are bannanas and sweetpottatoes....I would be afraid to give him anything thats not healthy. Any ideas? I don't know if I should have put this here or started a new thread but I thought it might help .
    Also I will try giving my pup some yogurt he has had a lil' and he does like it.
    Gloria & Babe

Gloria and Babe,
    I have been giving Sam (he's 12 wks) a tbl. spoon with his last meal of the day. I make sure that he eats it all so not to worry about is being spoiled. He is doing well on it. My vet was the one to recommend it for his loose stool. I also give him some sweet potato and pumpkin and no people food. I hope the yogurt helps.I know how much we worry when our babies are having issues. Some others are so much more knowledgeable about the food thing than I am and I am sure they will chime in.

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

I hear that pumpkin is suposed to be great for making the stool solid. Never had a problem with it though. I feed raw, have some kibble lying around but that's more like toss in the yard go look for it kind of deal.

Raw diet is the absolute best thing for a dog. The kibble process destroys 95% of the natural enzymes dogs need. The raw maintains them. Many skin/allergies/health problems disappear with it. EVO, Nature's Variety etc are some really good ones. Look for 45% protein on the lable. Dogs are carnivores not herbivores. Table scraps are VERY good for dogs!!!!

For the coat, I know they put show dogs on peanut oil to make the coat grow and look nice. Salmon or any deep sea fish oil is the best, herring, anchovies, etc. Give him sardenes in a can with water NOT soy oil. Soy is not good for them. IT's a plant based oil and they have a hard time digesting it as they are carnivores.