Thread: Dental Care

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Default Dental Care

Okay...I've had dogs ever since I was a kid at one time or another, and as for my adult life have hardly ever gone long without a dog.
    Back in the 60's to 80's I personally never heard things like brushing your dog's teeth.
    But after we owned our first beautiful girl Pyr, Belle, and a trip to the vet she had built up tarter, and a cracked tooth. The vet recommended surgery to remove it. Cost, $600. minimum.

So having a new puppy Pyr we are committed to not let that happen again and one day, I decide that it's time to introduce Sebastian to the doggie tooth brush (he was 7 months old then). That didnt' work out well he wanted to play with the toothbrush. So I put that off for another time.

Now he's 11 months old and I'm concerned about his teeth. They look good, I just don't want to be in the same position as we ran into with Belle.

Do any of you brush your Pyr's teeth or do you use products (we have a seaweed thing we sprinkle in his food that's supposed to work against tarter)?

Road Dawg

I honestly leave it to the pros when it comes to something like that. I can clip the nails and brush and stuff, but I have to ask my vet or a grooming service for tooth brushing. I can't hold my pry still long enough to do that. It's bad enough I have to cut her nails when she's sleeping and even then I only get a few done at a time. But she does have a lot of "dental" chew toys. I would be glad to hear other's advice!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Sounds like a plan to me Willow
    How often do you have your pyr's done?

Road Dawg

I had her's done only once so far. She was spayed 2 weeks ago and I had them done then. My other dog (not a pyr) had had hers done maybe 5 times and she's 5 years old, so I guess once a year.

Road Dawg

Dogs get the same tartar/plaque that humans get and need regular dental cleanings. A toothbrush cannot get up under the gums like dental equipment can.
    brushings work, but just like humans, they need to be done every day.
    I am too lazy for that.... especially with 9 dogs! A yearly cleaning works just as well!
    I guess you could say I am paying for convenience! Tooth brushing will postpone the need for cleanings, but they will still need them.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Okay, thanks so much. If I could get a toothbrush in Sebastians mouth I'd do it in between times but it just isn't going to happen as he's still a puppy and very playful, with a crazy sense of humor.

He'll be going to the vet in March, so we'll have his teeth done at that time.