Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shedding

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Yep, I've found if we brush them regularly, the hair doesn't collect on our floors as much. In any case, we vacuum twice a week, or more.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Vin, I just reread your post about shedding twice a year. I read the beginning of the first sentence and thought (before I read on) 'oh no way my Pyrs shed constantly!' LOL then read on.
    Love it!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who get dogs that were bred for extreme weather conditions and complain about the shedding. Our last Newfie that we rescued was an owner surrender because the previous owners didn't realize that Newfoundlands shed. It's just hair for crying out loud...that's what brooms and vacuum cleaners were invented for long ago.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Hey Folks!
    I just got done doing this and wanted to come on right away and share. Our Pyr travels in our truck with us, therefore we deal with the hair a lot so I've tried several things to make it an easy clean up in between vacuuming our truck, which I have to do every other day minimal. But of course we have white hair on our clothes, coats, gloves, well everything.

The cheapest and easiest way to get hair off of such things (also blankets) is to take a spray bottle and lightly spray the area, then take your hand and run it along the shed hair. It beats buying those roller tape things all the time. Sometimes for smaller items, like socks, you can just spray or dampen your hand and the hair comes right up. Might even be good to keep a spray bottle in your car because if you're like me you think you have all the hair off and never fails you get out in the natural light and lo and behold there's a huge clump of white hair on your shoulder

Hair free....for the moment, one fast moment.