Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight and size

Puppy (New Member)

Default weight and size

I know this gets brought up a lot but I'm trying to get an estimate on the size of the Great Pyrenees. I've seen photos of three related males that are just over 6' when standing on their hind legs. I don't know that their owners know the exact weight of these dogs though they do know the height when standing in this manner.

Each of these dogs look to be about the same size in terms of girth and breadth. None look fat or overweight. One owner says his dog weighs around 135lbs and the other say 170-180, and the other says 180-190.

Most of the bigger males that I have seen in person have weighed 135-140lbs.

Is it likely that the dogs that are that tall can weight that much? I'm guessing that a dog that is 32" at the shoulder could easily weigh 140lbs+. However, I don't know the relationship/comparison to a dog that stands over 6' when standing upright.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I'm not sure if this will help, but here is a photo of our current crew. Our Yellow Lab is on the large side - about 105 lbs in this photo. Our male Pyr (next to our Lab) is about 110 lbs, and our female (furthest to the right) is about 90 lbs in the photo (about three-days after we brought her home from rescue). Today, the Pyrs are both 30.5 inches at the withers and about 110 lbs. Our Pyrs are about average when it comes to size compared to other Pyrs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry Sebastian Isabella2.JPG 
Views:	1406 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	199  

Puppy (New Member)

Yes, it helps alot. If all I had to go on was the weight of the Lab, I would have added 20lbs to weight of the Pyrs. However, I would have never guessed that the female Pyr was in any way lighter than the Lab by the photo.

Most times, people overestimate the weight of my Bernese Mountain Dog by 30-50lbs. He actually weighs 97lbs, but his large head, heavy bone and abundance of coat combines to make him look much heavier.

I'm guessing the same thing happens with Pyrs. I'm guessing that some owners who don't regularly weigh their Pyrs greatly overestimate their weight.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Yep, I totally agree with you. Most people assume that our Pyrs weigh more than 120 lbs, and when I tell them that they weight between 105 and 110, they are generally surprised (many times these are fellow Pyr owners). Some of the other dogs we see that are the same size in frame to our Pyrs that are legitimately 130+ lbs tend to be overweight in my opinion.

Puppy (New Member)

I think the reason that pyrs look heavier then what they really are weight wise is all the coat.My guy looks HUGE for a 4 month old pup and he is but its alot of hair! I met a lady with her Great pyr at Petsmart and she said he was one of the small ones,she said he weighed only 105 pounds..and he looked like he had to be 205 pounds! he was tall,long and alot of coat so appeared bigger then his weight.So a 150 pound pyr is a huge dog! if at 100 pounds they can look that big then 150,180 and so on his really huge!

I met a 205 pound pyr just a few weeks ago,he was a small pony!

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

fluffylove`s Photos

Great pyrs are not supposed to be large and heavy. They need to be strong but agile. A dog that can't move it's body is not an effective guard dog. Many people breed larger sized dogs sacraficing layback and good movement. A dog without a neck or efficient movement is no good as a guard dog. Go back to what Mary w crane brought over in the early 1930's, from the original working dogs of Franch, Urdos etc from Basque. They aren't what you see very often anymore unfortuantely becuase those are dogs to be admired. These dogs need elegance...many don't.

The fluff makes them look a lot bigger and more intimidating...There is a reason the standard calls for 27-31" in males and 25-29" in females, otherwise the standard would be the bigger the better as it is with the Tibetan Mastiff.

Puppy (New Member)

Default My Pyr

My Pyr is 11 months and 73 pounds.

Puppy (New Member)

Our Barkley is about 30 months and 110 lbs. He's very fast and agile. When he went to the vet a few weeks ago, they thought he was over 150.

Puppy (New Member)

Our female is a lean 115 pounds. She is 18 months and is BIG. I'm 6' and on her back legs she can put her front paws on my shoulders. Hope that helps.

Young Dawg (Member)

My Albert is 2 years old, weighs 110 and stands 5'5".