PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Pyr with elbow calluses?

Andrea Lawrence
12-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi friends,
My dog Tuck has a huge, black elbow callus. His other one is smaller and pink. One Vet said it was just pigment discoloration, but he's been licking it for eons and it's quite large and seems to have fluid and bother him. He's 12 and a half years old and in terrific shape other than this. Anyone know anything about these calluses? Thanks so much!

pyrecho
12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Are you sure it's not a Hot Spot?

TrueMom
12-31-2006, 09:44 PM
If it has fluid running from it try putting medicated powder on it to dry it up. I use Gold Bond medicated powder for any runny rash on my pets. They don't usually lick it off. Use atleast twice a day. I would take my baby to another Vet if it stays the same because it could be a fatty tumor. Don't be too alarmed until you know for sure what it is. Keep an eye on it. Hope this helps.

vin63
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi friends,
My dog Tuck has a huge, black elbow callus. His other one is smaller and pink. One Vet said it was just pigment discoloration, but he's been licking it for eons and it's quite large and seems to have fluid and bother him. He's 12 and a half years old and in terrific shape other than this. Anyone know anything about these calluses? Thanks so much!

My Newfies would get them as they got older. We would have to keep an eye on them to make sure that they didn't turn into pressure sores. We also would moisturize them from time to time - this would help them from getting dry and cracking. If it has ruptured and the dog is licking it, we would use a little triple antibiotic ointment, cover it in gauze and wrap it with vet wrap, changing the dressing once a day.