PDA

View Full Version : Better ways of securing this forum?

mips
10-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Hey all,

I'm kind of annoyed by these 'robots' that register on this forum and leave topics like "How To Pedal Correctly On The Bike", "Before A Missed Period - Very Early Symptoms Of Pregnancy" and even one named "How to F***** Yourself"

You all probably hate this just as much as any other here coming to this forum to talk about our dogs. It's not only annoying, it's also offensive.

I know there is 'Human Verification', but does this system allow more types of security, like a question you need to answer or something? So these robots can be banned out 100%, instead of removing them from the forum and removing their topics, so we can prevent this from happening.

I'd love to find out if you want to, if I know which kind of system this forum uses I can search the internet for better ways of security and present them.

Greets,

Kim

Edit: I see on the bottom of the site "Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2", I'll go take a look for any solutions for this.

Barkathon
10-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately some robots can even defeat some of those security questions ("captcha"), of course it might thin them out a bit.

We need some kind of image recognition that detects that there's a dog pic on the left hand side :) though I am lacking that myself!

Tsunibear
10-10-2014, 07:30 AM
We have done a captcha before and it didn't help. The bots know how to beat them. The site has a firewall up which prevents most of them but, some of them do fall through the cracks. We have two moderators Red and Terry and both of them have lives so they delete them once they are one. We also have one Administrator which is Rise Star. In all honesty for a site as big as this one is we are doing pretty good seeing how we only have three people who can delete and ban these guys.

Chicag0_Red
10-10-2014, 10:06 AM
So these robots can be banned out 100%

You find or build this I will make both of us multi-millionaires. :cool-new:

And Terry and I can go back to our previous lives as professional lurkers and amateur fishermen. :pray2:

ecfinn
10-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Would you, at any point, be looking for help moderating? I'd be glad to fill in the cracks and ban spammers/delete unwanted threads.

Eric

mips
10-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I just read online that these spammers are not robots but actually real people. I have no idea why a real person would do this. But against actual people you can't protect the forum against that. Unfortunately.

Tsunibear
10-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I just read online that these spammers are not robots but actually real people. I have no idea why a real person would do this. But against actual people you can't protect the forum against that. Unfortunately.

Usually they do it because they get paid to do it.

As far as more moderators go that's Rise Star's decision and when he picked Terry and Red I think it was cause they were on often and on different times of the day so the boards were always covered.

Chicag0_Red
10-11-2014, 07:31 AM
As far as more moderators go that's Rise Star's decision and when he picked Terry and Red I think it was cause they were on often and on different times of the day so the boards were always covered.

And here I thought it was because we were CUTE!.
:ranger::crazy:

Tsunibear
10-11-2014, 12:18 PM
And here I thought it was because we were CUTE!.
:ranger::crazy:

Hahaha you would have been better off using the word charming instead. :RpS_flapper:

risestar
10-24-2014, 09:13 PM
The reality is that it is getting more and more difficult these days as the spam bots are getting more and more sophisticated. There are spam guards in place which definitely help but these days new antispam measures are often defeated in hours. Its an unfortunate tradeoff as locking down the forums may help reduce spam, but also inconvenience new users that would need to wait for approval before being able to post.

pjciii
11-07-2014, 05:23 AM
i use a website call "bleepingcomputer.com" for all my security issues. it is a white hat site and these guys have alot of expertise. i dont know it it will help with the issues this website is having with the spambots. you could always unleash a Ddos attack on the ip address. just saying...but i do find the website helpful with alot of information on all types if security issues. other websites i use have captcha for posting only.
patrick

pjciii
11-07-2014, 05:24 AM
i use a website call "bleepingcomputer.com" for all my security issues. it is a white hat site and these guys have alot of expertise. i dont know it it will help with the issues this website is having with the spambots. you could always unleash a Ddos attack on the ip address. just saying...but i do find the website helpful with alot of information on all types if security issues. other websites i use have captcha for posting only.
patrick

Chicag0_Red
11-07-2014, 11:38 AM
you could always unleash a Ddos attack on the ip address. just saying... Which would violate every ISP's terms and conditions contract as well as being illegal under federal and multiple state laws unless you happened to own all of the systems involved in said DDos attack. And if the offending users ISP is worth their salt they have rules in place to mitigate the worst of the ddos traffic so while you may slow down their browsing (which they aren't doing anyway) you really won't have much if any impact on the out bound traffic. Most of those spambots aren't running on the command and control computers they are running thru proxy's or on victim's systems so you wouldn't be targeting the responsible party anyway.

other websites i use have captcha for posting only.captcha and similar, while helpful, aren't fool proof. So it is a balancing act between usability and convenience on one hand and maintenance and security on the other.

While not perfect I prefer to spend my time reading the site and banning the offenders when they get thru rather than spending time approving posts.