PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have the runt?

Phinn
04-04-2014, 01:11 AM
So I am new to the forums and all though I am not a first time Pyr owner I do have a few questions and worries!

I work at a horse ranch and the owner breeds Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherds to protect the horses and other livestock. So when I found this out of course I had to have one. After losing my last Great Anatolian to parvo at only 4 months it has been a tough road to get back on the puppy train. So when I found out she was breeding her female this winter I thought it was about time to try again. When the pups were born I got first pick and I picked the runt. He was the 8th pup born out of 9 in the litter.
He is about 1/3 the size of the rest of his siblings, about 6 to 8 pounds at 6 weeks old while his siblings are almost 10 to 15 pounds at 6 weeks. He eats well and plays as much as he can before his larger siblings run him over.
I am wondering if there are any other breeders or owners out there that have had a runt before that developed any of the health problems that runts can develop. I talked to the owner and this is her 3rd litter with her female but this is from a different male since her original male was shot this last summer.
Her female is half and half and about 75 pounds while her male is 75 25 with more Pyr and about 130 pounds.
This isn't her first runt from the female but he is by far the smallest she has had before.
I was wondering if there is anything I need to be on the watch for from him?
I plan to take him to the vet once I get him just to do a check up cause I would hate to lose another puppy at such a young age.
Any advice is welcome
Thank you!

Here are some pictures of him at a day old and 6 weeks!

Romanji
04-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Cute puppy BTW.

My old dog, a GSD/doberman mix is the runt from a litter of 6.
He is smallest and yes, siblings bowl over him come feeding time.
I chose him myself because he just stupidly stood to the side letting everyone else eat... By the time the frenzy is over... He waddled over to the dish but there is nothing left.
I still remembered him as that malnourished puppy some decades ago... My gentle dog.

Anyhoo... He did not have any problems in development. In fact is quite a smart dog.
His malnourished days wasn't long when he comes to us. My mom is a known nurturer for pets to plants, children and grandchildren alike. Even her carps and goldfishes looked well fed. So food wise, my old dog ate good to keep and up keep his health.

Anyhoo... That's my "runt" story.
And memories do bring back how much I missed him.

Good luck with your pup.
Get that wellness checked and see what your vet says.

Loki's Mom
04-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Very happy that you have another pup to fill the hole left by the loss of your other pup. My deepest sympathies there. Maybe after some of the other pups are weaned or sold or given away, he can have some extra mom time and nutrition. He is very cute and you sound like a dedicated pup parent. Have you named him yet? Let us know how it goes with the vet check!

Phinn
04-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Romanji - Thank you and what a cute story, I feel once he is home and fed alone he will grow right up but for now I just sneak him some extra mom time when the pups are sleeping. ^^ And I have been really watching him this last week and he seems to be catching up nicely, almost like he is just a week behind in development from his litter mates. I will for sure still do the vet check but my nerves have been eased quite a bit.

Loki's Mom - Thank you. He was such a sweet puppy and it was terrible the way he went. But I know he is happier now. My new pups name is Dax! Him and Koda were supposed to be brothers but the pup from Koda's litter I wanted as well was already sold so I had a left over name and poor Dax was named before he even was born!

Loki's Mom
04-07-2014, 01:00 PM
My new pups name is Dax! Him and Koda were supposed to be brothers but the pup from Koda's litter I wanted as well was already sold so I had a left over name and poor Dax was named before he even was born!

I wish you and Dax many long happy healthy years. Before you know it, Dax will be quite the little terror and you'll be hitting the forum here regularly to help you keep your sanity through all his puppyhood hijinks! And I know I speak for all here when I say we look forward to hearing all about his growing up. These dogs are so amazing and can be so infuriating and delightful, usually at the same time. :)

Romanji
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Yup! Yup!
Loki's mom.
ITA.

Dax is a cool name.

Phinn
04-24-2014, 12:43 PM
The terror is growing!
Dax is now 10 weeks old and doing great, he is still behind his siblings but he is quite mighty.
Can't wait to continue to watch him grow and develop!

nick's spirit
04-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Welcome Phinn & Dax....and he is growing up to be quite the handsome boy!!
So at 10 weeks, I assume he's already been in to see the vet....or maybe not, if he has, what did the vet think of him?? He looks pretty healthy (and mischievious) in his last photo. I think you might be luckier with a runt than with one of the larger/heavier pups, my thought is that Dax will grow nice & slowly into whatever his ideal weight & size will be.
Just for your info, in Vancouver Washington April 30th thru May 3rd the Great Pyrenees National Show will be going on, it might be worth a drive over if you have time. You can check it out by searching Great Pyrenees Club of America.

Nancy, Holly & Rudy

Loki's Mom
04-24-2014, 02:31 PM
The terror is growing!
Dax is now 10 weeks old and doing great.
Love that mischievous wink and grin! What a cutie! What has he torn up lately or gotten into that he shouldn't? :)

Phinn
04-24-2014, 07:29 PM
NS- He is very handsome, I wouldn't have wanted any other puppy. I actually gave him a bath today and his skin is all speckled! I was like omg you are so gross dirty until I realized it was skin. >< I felt kind of dumb! But his little toe skin is black too, so many colors. And he isn't going to be coming home with me till 12 weeks old so no official vet visit just yet but we do have a mobile vet that does our horses and livestock that looked at him and said he was one of the healthiest of the bunch. He plays and chases everyone in the house hold. It is great. And I agree I think he will be about the same size as mom, body structure is more like her, so more anatolian build but he might be heavier since he is the male. He is perfect no matter what though lol
And I will have to look into that, I haven't heard of if before so thanks!

LM- Oh he is, mostly just getting into the cat food today, though he did manage to get out with the sheep while we were feeding this morning and he was protecting them from the ram we have in there. It was hillarious! But other then that its mainly a cup here and there, trying to keep him off the coffee table legs as much as possible. He does think toes are pretty good for chew though. :)

Loki's Mom
04-25-2014, 07:13 AM
He does sound adorable and perfect! That's funny about the skin freckles/pigment! I've thought the same thing before with my current pup and another cat I had when he was a kitten - kept trying to scrub his mask off (the baby kitten) and it turned out, that was just his coloring. >.<

adityaa
05-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Depression (www.doctorhalper.com)

Beautiful post! I am really glad to visit on this site because your post is very useful and very detailed for us.Thank you so much provide your great and fantastic data for all.I really read your all blog.Very informative ideas and good information about on this site.Great and loving looking.I like it.Thanks a lot for sharing that.Thanks..

Phinn
05-07-2014, 10:54 AM
I thought I would update you all on Dax's growth!
He is now home with me and OMG I forgot how much puppies sleep... and pee... and poo.. Haha anyway is growing like a weed now that he is away from the litter. Almost 15 pounds, his legs are just about 12 inches long and he is fit as a whistle! I know he is still a little small for a 12 week old pup but he is also the runt and not full bred great pyr. He is built like an anatolian shepherd with the fluffiest fur. I will add some pictures of him at my house enjoying himself. Thank you everyone for the great advice!

nick's spirit
05-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Looks like he is on his way to becoming a very handsome boy!!
Yeah, puppies....just keep on picking him up & cuddling him when you can, as you know, this time doesn't last that long.
He will be big & getting the hang of life with you in a very short time

MBHfromNH
05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
What a cutie!! nothing like a sweet puppy and now that mine is 8 months old I'm missing that "little" bundle of fur. Thanks for posting - one of the best things about this forum are all the great puppy pictures:RpS_thumbup:

Clifford
05-07-2014, 03:34 PM
We suspect that Clifford was a runt. He's only about 85 lbs, and it's the ideal weight for him. He's shorter than most pyrs, but he has lots of muscle and little fat. He's also crazy energetic, and could probably pull me to Canada and back. (Maybe 700 miles from here). Cliff is very intelligent, and stubborn, but he knows when it will work best in his favor.

I've always wanted a dog the size of the cartoon Clifford, but after being raised with a chihuahua, he certainly feels that big. Especially when he's got his head on top of the table or counter to sniff out what we're eating.