PDA

View Full Version : Pending forum upgrade, please read.

risestar
11-21-2013, 12:12 AM
The time has come where it is necessary to upgrade the forum software. This version is many years old and I have held off upgrading to this point as it is extensively modified and the new version is quite different, a lot like upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7.

However, it has reached the point where there are compatibility issues with the server software, so it is a bridge that needs to be crossed.

I expect that i will get to it next weekend, probably Saturday Nov 23. I expect it to be fairly ugly and it will more than likely take the better part of the weekend to get most things working correctly. There should not be any loss of forums posts, but expect some things to be not 100% up to snuff until everything is finished.

My largest concern is I do not know how well the photo galleries will convert over to the new version. Hopefully all will be ok however just to be sure, if you have any photos in your individual photo galleries that you don't have backed up to your computer, please save them just in case you need to re-upload them.

The biggest difference that you should expect is that the layout is quite different in a lot of ways. Better in most cases, however different none the less. So expect to trip over a few new things and bump into a few walls ;)

The new version should be running by early Saturday morning and I will work on fixing most things up Saturday and Sunday.

nick's spirit
11-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the updating & the notice...

SebastiansMom
11-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes, thank you so much for the notice, and for everything you do to keep this community running smoothly.

I look forward to the new version!

Chi_gal
11-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the notice as well as all the hard work!

Tsunibear
11-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the notice and thanks for the hard work.

Davey Benson
11-23-2013, 05:00 AM
Oh Boy, new smileys! :mad::p;):D:

Davey Benson
11-23-2013, 05:03 AM
...still only allowed four images per post. I don't suppose there is any way to have that number increased to... oh, I don't know... 6? 8? 10? I don't know if that would cost more. I don't know that would slow down the forum much, as it doesn't have a whole lot of traffic. I guess I could keep using my FB account for my photo addictions. :o:):(:confused:

Tsunibear
11-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Holy cow we have a quick reply now! I was kinda shocked to see the white.

Davey as the for new smiley's I think in this setup if RiseStar ever wanted to he could add even more smileys to the selection.

Davey Benson
11-23-2013, 03:28 PM
The number of smileys is fine, I can still use mine from the fee smileys website if I want something different. I just wished we could post more than 4 images per post, (and smileys count as an image just like an oversized photo of someone's great pyr.) :cool:

Tsunibear
11-23-2013, 03:59 PM
The number of smileys is fine, I can still use mine from the fee smileys website if I want something different. I just wished we could post more than 4 images per post, (and smileys count as an image just like an oversized photo of someone's great pyr.) :cool:

Good point. I get why they do 4 because, I think it has to do with bandwidth usages and limiting us to four means the boards load faster. I don't get why smileys count as a picture.

risestar
11-23-2013, 04:46 PM
I'll bump up the images and see if I can adjust the smilies.

Tsunibear
11-23-2013, 06:07 PM
I'll bump up the images and see if I can adjust the smilies.

Awesome! Thanks Risestar!

risestar
11-23-2013, 07:16 PM
bumped it to 6 and added additional smilies.

Davey Benson
11-24-2013, 06:33 AM
Awsome! Thanks for the levity! :applause:

nick's spirit
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Quite the new look Risestar!!
Now I have to get used to a whole new way of doing things.....:confusion:
you know what they say about people & their age when it comes to change!!
I am impressed that you got it to run so smoothly so quickly
Thanks!
Nancy, Holly & Rudy

Tsunibear
11-24-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't think I am in love with the white text...it might be my glasses but, the white text is hard to read. :RpS_bored:

Davey Benson
11-25-2013, 05:53 AM
I like the new color saturation, and the new text font.... :RpS_thumbsup:

Tsunibear
11-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Okay the grey is 100 times better. Thanks Risestar for all of your hard work.

Razzmatazz
11-25-2013, 08:48 AM
The forum looks infinitely better, and more inviting good job!

Davey Benson
12-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the update Risestar.

Regarding this forum, I've noticed it's the only one that I frequent that doesn't fit my monitors any longer. I have to shift it left and right to read the posts. I don't know if anyone else is having this issue or if it's in my personal settings something I need to change. I know it's a little less convenient to read than it used to be in the old format.

Tsunibear
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the update Risestar.

Regarding this forum, I've noticed it's the only one that I frequent that doesn't fit my monitors any longer. I have to shift it left and right to read the posts. I don't know if anyone else is having this issue or if it's in my personal settings something I need to change. I know it's a little less convenient to read than it used to be in the old format.

That's weird. What's your resolution set at?

Davey Benson
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM
good question. I have my main monitor set at 1680 X 1050. If I go up to 1920 X 1080 Then I don't have to scroll left and right to see all this forum, but the left and right sides of my display are cropped off.

If I slide this window over here to this monitor, it's even worse, the resolution on it is 1366 X 768. (its the factory screen on this HP laptop)

And even on this other computer (another HP laptop) I can't see it all, and the screen resolution on it is the same 1366 X 768 even though it's a smaller screen.

I dono...

risestar
12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
The body of the forum and the site is 1200px wide and the background is relative to your monitor. So it should be viewable unless you have a really small monitor or an old laptop.

The one thing that could be happening is that you could have zoom enabled in your web browser that might be throwing things off. If you are using Firefox, go to view-->Zoom... If you have Internet Explorer, click on Tools--->Zoom...

Play around with the custom size until you find that magic number that works for you and all your other sites.

Davey Benson
12-17-2013, 03:54 PM
ahhh...... that's it!

I use IE 8, and IE 8's default is 125% zoom. (ctrl + 0 )

When I shift it to 100 percent then I can see all of the Great Pyrenees forum.

Since 125% is the setting I prefer for the rest of my online experience, I might just change that setting for when I view this site.

It's interesting that this is the only forum that I visit, where the 125 setting doesn't work for me. ( I must be getting old eyes to need that extra 25 % )

risestar
12-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Many websites use an automatic resizing scheme that resizes the look of the site according to your resolution. The downsize to that is that you have no control over the end look for different users. The site might look awesome at one resolution and terrible at another.

A lot of other sites have little logos and all the rest is just background, and that allows the site width to shrink and expand depending on the resolution. I'm personally not a big fan of that plain jane look.

You can usually add custom zoom buttons to your IE top menu for easy access. Other browsers like firefox also have plugins that can autoresize particular sites for you.

ahhh...... that's it!

I use IE 8, and IE 8's default is 125% zoom. (ctrl + 0 )

When I shift it to 100 percent then I can see all of the Great Pyrenees forum.

Since 125% is the setting I prefer for the rest of my online experience, I might just change that setting for when I view this site.

It's interesting that this is the only forum that I visit, where the 125 setting doesn't work for me. ( I must be getting old eyes to need that extra 25 % )

SebastiansMom
12-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Risestar, again, thank you so much for your hard work and everything you do to keep this community up and running. The new forum looks great!

The only thing that I have noticed is that when I'm on my phone or iPad, I can only use Quick Reply. That may be an iOS issue with Safari, and maybe I should start using the Tapatalk app instead.

I haven't tried replying on my computer, just because I'm usually on my phone or iPad.:peaceful:

risestar
12-18-2013, 11:20 AM
The new forum software actually uses an app called "Forumrunner" which is I believe is $1.99 and it allows a much improved mobile view of most all Vbulletin based web forums. When you install it, and visit the site, you should see a much improved mobile experience.

For ios devices (Iphone, Ipad)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin/id362527234?mt=8

For Andoid devices
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.endoftime.android.forumrunner

Risestar, again, thank you so much for your hard work and everything you do to keep this community up and running. The new forum looks great!

The only thing that I have noticed is that when I'm on my phone or iPad, I can only use Quick Reply. That may be an iOS issue with Safari, and maybe I should start using the Tapatalk app instead.

I haven't tried replying on my computer, just because I'm usually on my phone or iPad.:peaceful:

SebastiansMom
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Risestar, I love the new app! Thank you so much for the information! (I'm sorry if I should have seen it sooner and just missed it!)

ipyrer
12-12-2014, 12:41 AM
i use the chrome. its also great

ipyrer
12-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks for your work. aprreciate it