PDA

View Full Version : austrailian sheperd/great pyrenees mix

sherrinesbitt
04-19-2013, 04:40 PM
hi my name is sherri nesbitt, i'm new to this forum and i recently accquired an aussie sheperd/ great pyranees, and heeler mixed five month old pup. while i see no heeler in her, i do however see pyranees and aussie in her. her name is cocoa and she is the most lovable pup ive ever had. shes excelent with my children but i see the pyrenees as the dominent breed in her more then the other breeds. based on what ive gathered about the breed the pyrenees are solid white but she has tan spots on her some black in her tail and some spotting around her nose. i could use some help here on deciding size and overall temprament of her. also do pyrenees have webbed feet just wondering

SebastiansMom
04-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi, Sherri and Cocoa! Welcome to the forum! She sounds gorgeous! I do hope you'll post pictures, soon!
Her size may be a bit hard to predict, but if I had to take a wild guess, I would say maybe somewhere in the 50-70lb range (?). It's hard to tell without knowing anything about her parents.
As far as what to expect of her personality, what is she like now? Is she high-energy and playful, or is she calm for a five-month-old and fairly docile? Is she eager to please, or a bit more stubborn? The answers to these questions can help you determine if her personality leans more toward the Aussie side, or the Pyr side. As a precaution, it is probably a good idea to keep her leashed when she's not inside or in a fenced-in area, even if she seems to be well-trained. Pyrs love to wander.

Chicag0_Red
04-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Hi and welcome to the boards. Print this and stick it up on the "fridge". EVERYTHING YOU'RE ALWAYS ASKED ABOUT A PYR (http://www.lgd.org/library/evrythng.htm) It answers most of your current questions and the base url for the LGD Library (http://www.lgd.org/library.htm) will be invaluable to you over the coming months. Especially the Nothing in Life is Free program.

PS: Most Pyrs are born with some degree of color that fades as the Pyr ages. A lot of adult Pyrs maintain some coloring though it may be hard to detect in photos.

Jewel
04-19-2013, 09:00 PM
With mixes you really just have to wait to see what traits will be manifested. There is no way to predict. My Bro is 1/2 pyr and the other 1/2 is, we guess retriever/aussie. His personality is more retriever/aussie than pyr but he's all white. Bro is 25" and a skinny 68 lbs. But there are pyr/aussie mixes that are over 80 lbs.

How big is your girl currently? Oh and pics are mandatory :D

If you haven't read it yet, here's a thread about pyr/aussie mixes: :)
http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27249&page=3

sherrinesbitt
04-20-2013, 05:07 AM
thanks for the post. as far as her personality she loves to play while outdoors but inside she's very docile. she doesnt seem stubborn but at the same time she doesnt always respond to her name. sometimes i have to coax her to come in cause she loves to be outdoors. i'm trying to teach her to be indoor/outdoor cause she doesn't have any protection outside but she stays out most of the time during the day and she comes in at night. how often to you bathe this breed?

Jewel
04-20-2013, 06:57 AM
There is nothing particularly pyr or aussie about her personality as you decribed, she just sounds like a good puppy!

Pyr owners vary greatly in how often they bathe their dogs. My two get bathed on average every 4-6 weeks. Some pyrs get maybe 2 or 3 baths a year, while others may just have 1 bath a year. Much more important than bath is regular grooming. A pyr that is regularly groomed with its coat free of tangles and matts doesn't necessary need to be bathed very often at all. I bathe mine more often because I am neurotic. :p Also, the type of coat can also play into how often a dog is bathed. A very full coated very large pyr may not get bathed often as it is a huge ordeal. My pyr mix, on the other hand, doesn't have the same dense undercoat like a purebred, so he's pretty easy to wash and air dry.