PDA

View Full Version : House Broken or Not Quite? 5.5 months old

JerzysMom
01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, wondering if my great pyr who is 5.5 months old is officially house broken or not ?
He has gotten very very very good at waiting until he is let out to go potty,
but if it has been too long since he was last let out, he will finally go on the floor.
We used to have dogs that refused to go in the house no matter how long they were inside for, so im wondering if only THAT is a true house broken dog, or is what my pyr does still considered House Broken and expected?

Davey Benson
01-22-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't consider any dog "house broken" it's a dated term conjures pictures in my head of beating a dog with a stick to break him, I like the term "house trained" much better. ;)

That being said..... all dogs are different, and I would say your dog sounds like it's probably house trained pretty well. When you say he will releave himself if he is left inside too long..... what sort of time period are you noting between going outside?

5.5 months is still considered a juvanile puppy, pyrs mature a little more slowly than some other breeds, and as all dogs get older, they are usually less driven to have to take bathroom breaks.

I have a black lab who is 13 and he will just stay in forever if you let him. I have a three year old ausi/border cross who has to dart outside every time the door opens up, and then he's marking everything in sight... 36 tires, 42 trees, a chicken, the fence, the side of the house, I've never seen anything pee as much as he does.

Tsunibear
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
What kind of time frame are we talking about here? 8 hours, 10 hours, 12 hours or less? At 5.5 months he is still a baby and his bladder might not be able to hold it for 8 hours never the less 10-12 hours. So if he is going while you are gone for long periods of time then you might have to have someone come over and let him out half way through the day cause he is still a puppy and their bladders aren't always big enough to hold it in for that long.

JerzysMom
01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Hey guys, i have to let him out every 2-4 hours, it just varies. Some times he has to go quicker than other times. So if he needs to go within 2 hours, and i wait an extra hour longer, he may go in the house. However he is getting wayy better at lasting longer, and doesnt go TOO often in the house. He has definitely improved because even just a month ago he was going on the floor every time i turned around!
Thanks for the replies. :)

Tsunibear
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
His bladder might not be big enough to hold more then 3 hours worth of urine right now. He is still young, Pyrs grow at a slower rate then most dogs. They are big but, still very much puppies at 5.5 months. So if you are going to ask him to hold it for longer then 3 hours right now maybe take his water away an hour before you leave.