PDA

View Full Version : New puppy

Ziva's Mom
12-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Hello all. I'm new here, and new to the breed. I have a 16 week old puppy. I've had her for 2 weeks, now, and things are going pretty well, but I one one problem. How do I convince her that chickens are not playmates? She chases them, and while she doesn't seem to want to hurt them, I really don't want her to chase them. Any good ideas?

Davey Benson
12-12-2012, 05:58 AM
What has worked for me in the past is to keep them seperated by a physical barrier untill they are older.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/222578_10150231577079575_4731620_n.jpg

Ziva's Mom
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Thank you Davey. That's what I'm doing. I guess it's just going to take awhile.

Espinay
12-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Thank you Davey. That's what I'm doing. I guess it's just going to take awhile.

Yes, it is going to take a while. Your pup will need to get through the silly teenage stage yet. You will need to keep them separated when you are not around and be on hand to correct the pup when they are together. There is a good article that you may find useful here:
http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm

While not directly about poultry, this is useful too: http://www.lgd.org/library/startpup.htm

Ziva's Mom
12-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I thought I had things under control... barriers put up, etc. Things went well for two days and then today I had to be gone for a few hours. Somehow, a hen got into the part of the yard where Ziva was spending her day. She killed it and ate it.

I'm trying not to get too upset about this, but it is certainly discouraging.

Ziva's Mom
12-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you Espinay. I printed the article so I can read it and refer to it. I think it will be helpful. I just hope that getting a taste of fresh chicken hasn't ruined her as a guard dog.

Chicag0_Red
12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Thank you Espinay. I printed the article so I can read it and refer to it. I think it will be helpful. I just hope that getting a taste of fresh chicken hasn't ruined her as a guard dog.

Probably not. The problem with fowl and chickens in particular is that they are so animated and that energy tends to transfer to the puppy / younger Pyrs (and other LGD breeds). They are just so funny and entertaining it is hard for the pup to resist and then they are fragile ... heck everything is fragile given the way a Pyr pup plays.

As for consuming the dead bird; it is not uncommon for older Pyrs to dispose of the remains of flock members given that the body will draw in scavengers and potential predators. They do this both by consumption and by burying what is left. (Remember that most predators in the wild are opportunistic feeders and will just as readily feed on carrion as fresh kill.) It is all part of some magic formula that they have developed over thousands of years to keep the risk to the flock as low as possible. So fix the fence and don't give up on Ziva just yet. Also note it may be several years before she can be trusted with the birds in a direct contact environment, but, that would be the case regardless of this unfortunate incident. Pyr pups are just too big and play too rough and she will be a "puppy" for a long time regardless of how big she may seem to you. That is one of the reasons they normally start LGDs out with an older LGD of opposite gender so they can teach / train the pup and watch for inappropriate behavior.