PDA

View Full Version : a great pyr rescue in georgia

pjciii
09-02-2012, 10:33 AM
this is a very hard working rescue with a very high placement rate that should be added for available dogs.
http://www.greatpyratlanta.com/

thanks
patrick
didnt know where to put this

nick's spirit
09-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe Risestar can post it in the Petfinders Featured Adoptable Pets
there are some beautiful looking Pyr's at that rescue...so glad I'm on the other side of the country!!

Tsunibear
09-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I think the Petfinder adoptable pets just pulls from the Petfinder site itself under the breed Great Pyrenees. So if they get a Petfinder set up then they would be listed on the site automatically. At least that is the theory I am getting from how the site is programmed.

pjciii
09-03-2012, 03:03 AM
they hold their own adoption days. they dont just let anyone have a great pyr. they qualify you to be able to adopt. they come visit your home where the pyr will live. they have rescued 400 from georgia and the southeast from neglect, abuse or just surrenders. they are not intrested in being a dog mill and they have a large network of fosters and spend alot on money bringing the heartworm positive and neglected dogs back to health. this is a very caring rescue and not about flipping dogs. you also sign an agreement that if for some reason the dog doesn't work out that it always comes back to them and not just dropped off at the pound or left to run away. i guess not everyone is fit to be a pyr owner just like not everyone is not fit to be a parent.
patrick

Chicag0_Red
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
You just described about 95% of us rescue organizations. Don't think that being on pet-finders is equivalent to being interested only in quickly placing the dog. and in fact a unfortunate number of our rescues never get listed on pet-finder. Most of the better organizations are also cross-pollinated if you will. We send a lot of dogs out to fosters and permanent homes all over the country and every one is subjected to just the type of scrutiny you describe. I actually had one woman (I refuse to call her a lady ... sorry girls) tell me it was harder to adopt one of our dogs than it was to adopt a kid. I told her that was because the kid could 911 her while the dog would have to rely on the neighbors.

As a side note they are already listed on pet-finder as a rescue shelter and currently have 34 or 35 dogs listed.

Lancelot
09-04-2012, 07:09 AM
You're absolutely right Red. I can however sympathize with the woman. I couldn't qualify for a rescue because I live in a retirement village that doesn't allow fencing. ( Except for the dog park Lance is on a leash at all times.) My only option was to find a breeder. Though I wouldn't trade Lance for the world as he has turned into the most wonderful Pyr, I still do regret that I didn't get a rescue that really needed a good home.