PDA

View Full Version : new pup

willysmom
06-15-2012, 05:01 AM
We picked up our new 8 week old female pyr in March. It is now June and Sophie still has no clue that she is supposed to go outside to go to the bathroom. I have had many dogs in the past and currently have a 4 year old lab , and i have never had a problem with training. She is confined to the kitchen and I also crate her when she can not be watched, but even then she will pee on the floor right in front of me. She will stand at the door if she wants to go out with the lab, but not to let me know that she has to go to the bathroom. This this typical for a pyr?

Lou Lou
06-15-2012, 05:56 AM
How often does she go out? And does she go out separately from the other dog? Puppies will 'forget' to pee if they somebody to play with. Heck, my Pyr just last year. He was a year and a half old and had been housebroken since he was 3 months basically. He had to pee, scratched at the door, when my brother came over and all of a sudden he forgot he had to pee. Playing with my brother, running around, jumps on the guest bed, he's play bowing and all of a sudden it's like I hear a tap running... peed right on the bed. I couldn't be too upset about it. The sheepish look on his face was enough.

So I would start taking her out separate. And watching her outside, making sure she goes. Big praise when she does. Go back to square one. Take her out the same door every time, so she knows which door to go to if she needs to let you know. I've seen people hang bells on the door so the dog can let you know it has to go out, there's an idea too.

Make sure the house is thoroughly cleaned of any pee smells, because that reinforces it. If you have carpets, you can rent a Rug Doctor or something similar. Hard surfaces need to be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner.

You might want to have a U/A done just to be thorough and check she doesn't have a bladder infection or something of the sort.

Linsul
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
If she's not peeing in the crate I would chalk it up to puppy forgetfulness and distraction as Lou Lou said. I got my puppy at 7 weeks old and she'd pee in front of me too! Their little bladders are so tiny that I imagine when they gotta go, they gotta go! I read somewhere that a general guideline is they can hold it for an hour for every month of their age. It was a good guideline for mine, she had few accidents, never in her crate. Going in the crate is the dog version of a human going in the bed, they'll avoid going where they sleep and if they do it's a eyebrow raiser.

willysmom
06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I have been doing all of those things, taking her out often, cleaning up with nature's miracle, etc. I even got the bells for her to ring. She just does not get the concept. At 5 months and 55 lbs, it's getting a little old.

Jewel
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
So, exactly how many accidents are we talking about per day? When my male was a pup, he had to be taken out at least once every 45 minutes when out of the crate or we were risking an accident - he also gave no signs before going. If Sophie's taken out at least once an hour and and you watch her do her business outside and even then still having accidents in between, you should check with your vet to rule out medical issues.

Alternatively, there could be behavior issues related to the accidents. But I would have the medical issue is ruled out first before thinking there is an behavior issue.

Linsul
06-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Wow I'm a dummy and didn't do the math on her age! I understand your frustration at 5 months old and 55lbs for sure. Hope things are going better, gosh. At that age ruling out a medical issue is really solid advice.

willysmom
06-17-2012, 06:13 PM
The last few days she has actually been doing better. She has had only one accident in the house. I have found that if I take her out often enough she's ok. But, she does not let me know she has to got out, I have to guess. Hopefully she will learn this eventually. thanks for all your help.

Terry
06-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Hang a little bell on the knob Willy :) She will ding it :)

nick's spirit
06-17-2012, 06:39 PM
She is still a puppy, even tho she looks like a big girl. You are obviously doing the right thing by taking her out more often. She will get the hang of things...eventually.
Just the other night Holly (7 1/2 yo) came up the steps to our bedroom licking her lips...out of a peacefull sleep I jumped out of bed, ran down the steps with her & let her out....she actually came up to tell me she really had to throw up & she needed out side NOW!!!
On the other hand, when our rescue Aussie has needs to go outside, he is too timid to wake us up...sometimes, not very often, we find surprises in the mornings...oh well.
Keep up the routine with Sophie...she will get this "outside" thing down.

Jewel
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Yeh improvement!! Terry made a great point, I totally forgot about the bell. It's a really good idea for dogs that do not express themselves as clearly as others.

Davey Benson
06-18-2012, 08:43 AM
My last BC was really good about telling me before she had to throw up..... it was always RIGHT before, but if I acted quickly she could always wait untill she was outside the house. :o My other dogs.... not so much. :(

willysmom
06-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I did get the bell and hung it from the doorknob of the door that I always take her out of. Should I train her to hit it with her paw or her nose, or doesn't it matter? Sometimes she will walk by it and ring it by brushing it with her side by mistake. Should I take her out anyway so she associates the noise with going out?

Terry
06-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Murphy caught right on but Emma took a little coaxing.. She just hits it now with her head. What we did along time ago is hit the bell everytime she went out and eventually she got the hang of it :)

Terry

Maggie's mom
06-18-2012, 05:58 PM
I taught Maggie to ring a bell to go out using the touch command. I taught her touch by smearing a bit of peanut butter on the palm of my hand, and when she sniffed it, I said, "touch!! Good!!" After she would consistently touch my palm to command, I taught her to ring the bell (with her nose) the same way...smeared a bit of peanut butter on the bell, when she sniffed, and the bell rang, I praised and let her out. I let her out whenever she rang the bell. I know some say their pups learn to ring the bell just to go out to play, not just to potty, but Maggie pottied whenever she went out, so I didn't differentiate. My purpose was served because she pottied...and if she wanted to play, it was fine with me!