PDA

View Full Version : puppy and slippery floor?

zerosugar
03-10-2012, 05:24 AM
hello folks!!
im just wondering if anyone have had any issue raising great pyrenees puppy on hard slippery floor such as wooden, marbles, and those shiny white ceramic tile?
my pup, Olly, seems fine adjusting to the wood floor - he rarely slip, only when hes getting up he may slide abit but never a eagle spilt flat to the floor.

i know that a great pyrenees can weight up to 70kgs and sliping may cause joints issue right?

The thing is, my whole house is all on wood and marble flooring. Will it just be a good precaustion just to buy those non-slipping rubber square thing that they sell in pet shop? or just make one or two areas with the rug?

i do take him out regulary in the morning and evenning half an hour each session and more on the weekends depending on the weather :D

Chicag0_Red
03-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Hank has done fine on the wood and tile floors around here. I also put out a few of the 5x7 area rugs , but, if you keep their nails and paws trimmed they should do okay.

zerosugar
03-10-2012, 07:40 AM
thanks Red :D

grtpyrlvr
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I would put down some rubber bathroom mats in the high traffic areas for now. I have heard others say their pups back feet slipped to the left and right as they walked on slippery floors and this caused knee problems in their puppies. A lot of giant dog breeders will suggest the mats or even the interlocking foam play mates you use for kids. We have 2 with ortho issues so I bought a bunch of cheap throw rugs from wal Mary and have them evy few feet on our wood surfaces for them. If a puppy has an accident I just pick it up and throw it in the washer. I figure a little bad interior decorating is better then an ACL or luxating patella issue.

zerosugar
03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
thanks you greatpyrlvr i'll consider buy those matt

one more question... will the pup eventually adjust to such slippery floor? i observed Olly and he seem fine now rarely slip getting up is natural now even when he jump over an obstacle he would landed like a ten!! :D

few days ago i went back to the vet just to check up on his knees and they said that his knees patella is somewhat loose. They also said that it not something to worry about yet but only to caution.... well dont puppy have small gaps for growth anyways?

pyr haven
03-13-2012, 09:01 PM
nice pix btw. second red and grtpyrlvr.

mine would race round corners like blinking idiots, and one of them has slipped and hit her head. so we layered ALL our tiles with this nonslip mat (easy to wash cos those pups wud pee on the mat) which we bought from hardware shop and many colors (it's also soft to use as baby mats). cut to measure.

when they got older they did learnt to plop down softly, but still the girl is very playful so we have since carpeted and bought a LOT of rugs placed strategically.

she has hip displasia, so it is a good measure to "soften" her walks on hard floorings, she prefers to lie down on grass or her sand hole (used to be a hill). Loose patella is indicative of future joint prob unfortunately, before clinical symtoms

SuzMiron
03-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Lisa, the woman whom I got Shiya from, warned me about slippery floors. (I had posted a concern about Shiya having hip dysplasia a couple of weeks back.) So when I contacted her about my concern of Shiya hobbling when getting up from lying down, she brought up the slippery floors again as a reminder. I guess the theory is it can cause joint maturation troubles. I have been without carpets on the floor for several months because Shiya was having a great time pulling the threads out. I pitched them and didn't replace them because I like the bare floors...but now that she is hobbling, we have placed room sized carpets back down. She is still a pup at almost 16 months old, so I'm hoping this is not going to be a great permanent problem. I took her to the vet, who didn't x ray her, but did recommend omega 3s. So between the carpets, her diet, her joint supplement, and her modified daily walks (walking leisurely for awhile), I am hoping this will remedy. She is a big girl at 109 lbs and by no means overweight. I have been careful to not let her become heavy and placing strain on her joints and long spine. Lisa is not aware of, n'or has seen in her pyrs, any evidence of hip troubles...so I'm crossing my fingers.

Maggie's mom
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
One other option you may consider if you don't want to put rugs all over your house is paw wax. http://www.vetinfo.com/paw-wax-for-dogs.html
Many people use that instead of rugs for their pups with ortho issues. I tried it on my last 2 pups after their knee surgeries (in addition to rubber backed rugs all over the house)...it works fairly well, making their pads a little sticky so they don't slip and slide getting up. The only thing I didn't like was that everything (grass, dirt, etc) sticks to their paws, so you have to "dust off" their paws when they come in from outside. It also needs to be applied every day or so. There are several places where you can order it...here is one: http://www.dog.com/item/paw-wax-50g/370101/?srccode=MRDGGOOG&mr:trackingCode=8BE2CA37-0182-DE11-9973-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA

Personally, if you don't mind rugs, I think that's an easier way to go.

peg
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I am fostering a little pyr girl who had been running loose. She is about 12 months old, severely underweight, heart worm positive and quite small. She is about 23 inches from shoulder to floor and weighs just 39.7 lbs. The vet said other than the heart worm she is healthy but needs to put on 10 - 15lbs. She is totally pyr- in fact looks like a minnie me of my Maxx E. Any ideas about putting on the "good weight" would be appreciated. Also, can I assume she is as tall as she will be since she is about 12 months old? She is a real sweetie and watching her get used to being in a house and fed regularly is such fun!!;) Thanks for any tips.

zerosugar
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
greeting Suz, sorry to hear about your pup. about the supplement if omega 3 not working for Shiya you could switch to glucosamine i heard it pretty effective healing repair the cartilage and condition joints. and yes daily work is a must, any good excercise will help the cycle process of breaking down and repair...
if walking is too much for Shiya you may try put her in a small size pool for kids. water resistance is great for rehabilitation.
personally i think omega3 work best for coats and skin irritation and not so much for joint but go with what the vet has recommend first.

Olly's dad

zerosugar
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
To Peg, two thumbs up for adobting her.
To make a puppy gain weight is a piece of cake my friend... but you going to need effort and consistancy. make your pyr work out before a meal time (do things that really make your puppy really tired!!) rest for 10 to 30 mins then you may feed him (you can try this excercise: hold a closed hand with few kibbles inside and wait for the eye contact... don't open your hand until she is calm and concentrated as this mental work out really tired my Olly!!) after she finishes her meal don't make her do anything else put her in her sleeping area and you have to repeat this with consistancy your puppy will gain 20lbs in no time. you may increase the feed until you can't really feel her spine.
if possible feed less but more frequent to increase her metabolism.

grtpyrlvr
03-16-2012, 07:28 AM
thanks you greatpyrlvr i'll consider buy those matt

one more question... will the pup eventually adjust to such slippery floor? i observed Olly and he seem fine now rarely slip getting up is natural now even when he jump over an obstacle he would landed like a ten!! :D

few days ago i went back to the vet just to check up on his knees and they said that his knees patella is somewhat loose. They also said that it not something to worry about yet but only to caution.... well dont puppy have small gaps for growth anyways?

I actually just went through this so I can give you first hand advice on this.... We acually broke down and bought a puppy because my daughter does junior handling in shows. We found a top pyr breeder who's dog was in westminster this year. Well 2 of the litter so far have luxating patellas from the sire she used (she is very upset but that's another story). So we went to the vet and had her xrayd. She does have a shallow groove so the "risk" is there for her to have the same problem but we can do pro active things to help prevent it. We started her in PT to strengthen the glutes so they hold the knee more solidly in place. We also limit her jumping, exercise etc. Lots of glucosomine, chondrotin etc....

So it sounds like you are dealing with the same thing...Will the knee every go out? Who knows? She is pre-disposed to it just because of the shallow groove.

I was told with young dogs they are having great success with PT to get the knee to hold in place until those growth plates close and surgery can be done. Some don't even need it if they build up the proper muscle. PM me if you would like more info!

SuzMiron
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Shiya's hobbling comes from her back legs and I am presuming it's the hips from my observations (the luxating deal)...and only when she gets up from lying on one of them. So I'm feeling confident that in time, it will remedy itself. I am walking her leisurely these days. I will have to do my run/walk routine on my own. I will take her swimming a lot this summer, weather permitting of course. Her diet contains salmon oil (omega 3) and is very nutritious without grains or chemicals, so that's good, along with a salmon based kibble. I am also providing her with a joint supplement from nu vet. It's called NuJoint Plus and contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Methylsulfonylmethane, and Vitamin C. She will be two years old come November (also the next winter) so I'm hoping by then she will be able to have her fun in the snow without having to be inhibited from galloping in it as she adores that.