PDA

View Full Version : Site Maintenance/Web Server Issues

risestar
02-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Sometime within the next week we will be moving to a new web server. Everything will remain the same, however there will be a change in DNS, so during the transition, the site will be unreachable to some for a period of time, usually 6-12 hours. Some smaller web hosts may not refresh their DNS as often so some may see a longer downtime. If this is the case, try to reach the site using a different internet provider and if successful, request that your internet provider refresh their DNS.

Because the move requires a database move, the forum will be closed during the transition time so a final copy of the forum database can be moved to the new server and it will be reopened there.

I will let you know when we are close to getting this done.

nick's spirit
02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the notice risestar, not sure of what all the tech stuff means tho!
What does DNS mean?

Chicag0_Red
02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the notice risestar, not sure of what all the tech stuff means tho!
What does DNS mean?

It is Domain Name System. It is what changes all those pretty names into IP addresses that the computers understand. That way you can type in greatpyr.com instead of remembering the actual numeric IP address like 192.168.19.200 (not the real address just an example)

If your ISP takes to long to update their dns-cache you can always use a public root server like g.public-root.net (199.5.157.131). You can learn more here http://public-root.com

Tsunibear
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up Risestar.

Davey Benson
02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
terrific, maybe this site will stop tripping alerts with my antivirus software. :D

Chicag0_Red
02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
terrific, maybe this site will stop tripping alerts with my antivirus software. :D

Hey Davey; PM me the alerts you are getting (screen shots, etc. ) as well as the info on your antivirus. Maybe I can check out or at least duplicate the false positives.

Or you can email them to me at Chicag0_red(at)politicalheresy(dot)com

Davey Benson
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Received a reply back from my antivirus tech support...

Hello,

Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.
Thank you for your help.

Regards, ***** ********
Virus Analyst

So that figures, it's not a problem with this website it's just my problem...... sounds about right. :rolleyes:

risestar
02-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Server move is now complete. There were a lot of compatibility issues so please let me know if you get any errors or anything looks weird

Chicag0_Red
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Looks good from here. I'll throw several flavors of Linux and windows at it with different browsers and let you know if I see anything.

Jewel
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Everything seems good on iPhone. But my desk top is all messed up. I can see?that people are submitting new posts but when I click on the thread I get a message saying "no thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" but when I click on administrator, I get another message that says "sorry. The email function has been disabled by the administrator."

TexasKat
02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Looking at it on a Mac using Safari. It works excellently well. Haven't tried it on Chrome, but since Chrome is based on Apple's Webkit software, that means it usually will work without a hiccup on Chrome as well.

It will help Risestar quite a bit if we tell her what kind of computer (and what browser) everyone's using. It will help her stomp out bugs.

risestar
02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Jewel it sounds like cache problem with your browser. You've probably got DNS cached so your browser is taking you. To the new site for threads you've already visited and the old site for those you haven't. Try clearing out your cookies and cAche in your browser then restarting your browser

Winterlude
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Everything is working fine once I logged in, on a Mac and running Safari . . Thanks for all the work, RiseStar!!

Davey Benson
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
no problems here, I runnin windoz 7 and just plain ol Internet exploder

Jewel
02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Jewel it sounds like cache problem with your browser. You've probably got DNS cached so your browser is taking you. To the new site for threads you've already visited and the old site for those you haven't. Try clearing out your cookies and cAche in your browser then restarting your browser

Done! All fixed now. Thanks!!

Tsunibear
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Works wonderfully for me.

nick's spirit
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Okay here too Risestar.....got caught this morning, but all has worked out
and by the way everyone....hope I didn't overwhelm you with posting the pics...can you tell I'm learning!
And now my lttle brain is on overload!