PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from taste of the wild dog food

ad_mn81
01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Hows everyone doing, been awhile since I last posted and hope everyone and their pyr is doing well! After posting a question about Taste of The Wild Dog food and getting mixed responses, I have fed Ace their salmon formula for the past year or so.

Over the past 2 weeks or so he hasnt been eating much, he would push and move the food in his bowl around with his snout, but wouldnt actually eat it so I thought maybe he was sick, until I put the pieces of the puzzle together. One week ago I remember putting food into his bowl and thinking something smelled funny, but failed to realize it was his food that was the culprit. Tonight I went to the pet store where I normally purchase his food, and it was a very strange coincidince because another customer who waiting to check out and she was holding guess what kind of food? Yep T.O.T.W. so I proceeded to ask her whether she has had any issues with her dog not liking her food etc. At first she said no, and then I explained why I was asking. Once I was done, she said when the bag was down to 1/3rd or so left, her dog became ill and vomited for a week after eating. Hearing that confirmed to me it was the food. I bought him Earthborn Costal Salmon forumla and offered it to him upon arriving home, and guess what..he ate the hell out of it, eating a half pound plus sample bag that the store gave me for free.

Anyway long story longer I just wanted to provide information to educuate as many people here as I can and I would defintely suggest that no one feed their dog any brand produced by Diamond. If I recall correctly there were a few of you(jewel) and I dont recall who else who said stay away from Diamond products and you guys were defintely spot on. Hope everyone is doing well!

Tsunibear
01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
That's weird. My cats eat TOTW and they love it. I haven't had any issues with it yet. My dogs eat Diamond Natural, they get a mixture of chicken and lamb formula. I don't feed the dogs any fish based food because, it makes them fart really really bad. The cats eat fish based foods though with no issues.

SuzMiron
01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
is it because of the sodium selenite in it? I don't buy Diamond products myself, but my husband brought home Diamond Dog biscuits for treats. I read the label after having recently read about sodium selenite and have been thinking I should toss them.

Lou Lou
01-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Have you contacted the company with your concerns? The only way they get the information to recall is customer feedback usually.

Novel food is usually swallowed pretty quickly here regardless of quality. Charley who is super picky about his own Orijen to the point its difficult to keep weight on him, will gulp down my brother's dog's Authority brand food.

ad_mn81
01-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Have you contacted the company with your concerns? The only way they get the information to recall is customer feedback usually.

Novel food is usually swallowed pretty quickly here regardless of quality. Charley who is super picky about his own Orijen to the point its difficult to keep weight on him, will gulp down my brother's dog's Authority brand food.

I did contact the company via email yesterday and will post their response

Amatrine
01-27-2012, 10:15 AM
No problems here with the Natural Balance Grain Free Bison. I did feed TOTW but changed because of the high protein. If your dog is having ANY kidney issues at all, the high protein in TOTW can cause problems too.

Sorry your pup got sick. Now, mine DID get sick on the Chicken soup for the soul, dog food, I think they make that too .. we bought it once to try it, and back on Natural Balance.

Tuxedodog
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I fed Kirkland (Costco/Diamond) for several years. Last summer the dog's started scratching and their coats got really dry, so I started to switch to TOTW Buffalo, it was not well recieved. When I got half done the other 2 bags I started to add in Diamond Naturals - the formula for better coats and they are certainly doing much better. I guess I would like to know why to stay away from Diamond - it came highly recommended from a number of sources.

Amatrine
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Never mind I guess Natural Balance is not diamond.
People avoid diamond because of a past food recall where dogs died and got sick.

My cats eat diamond and have no problem. We had no problem on TOTW like I said , but with Gracies hips wanted a lower protein .

Winter and Newton
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I have fed my animals Diamond products for years with no problems except the occasional finicky eater. The recall of Diamond products was 6 years ago, was voluntary and was due to a single shipment of corn from a single vendor comtaminated with aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring fungus that attacks corn during hot dry harvest years. Not a good thing, especially if you are the owner of one of the dogs that unfortunately died but this was not a situation where Diamond's quality should be suspect 6 years later or their processing standards should be in doubt. They acted quickly on the matter. They were not tied to any of the more recent recalls of products from China. Most of the sites that rate dog food products rate Diamond products anywhere from medium high to very high depending on the particular product. I will continue to use their products and if my dogs were experiencing the symptoms you noted, I would suggest that there might be more to whatever issues your dog is having than Diamond dog food. Sorry if I am the contrarian here.

Andrea
01-27-2012, 05:51 PM
I am feeding the Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice since three years. I started with the puppy formula and when Luca turned one we switched to adult. I never had any issue with the food.
In fact before I adopted my other dog Dudley I fostered him and the Rescue Group of which I was fostering for provided the food and it was Taste of the Wild. He never liked it. Instead he would go over to Luca's food and eat hers. So I didn't force him to eat the TOTW and just gave him the Diamond Natural. He just loves it and also, no problems.
I myself decided to feed the Natural Brand because it doesn't have the by-products and fillers.

Davey Benson
01-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I feed both diamond and totw bisson. When Polar Bear fell ill, the first thing that ran through my mind was "is it what he is eating?" So we went through quite a numer of test, checking for many things, kidney function, heart, lungs, liver, etc. Even though they weren't able to tell me exactly what caused him to expire, one of the conclusions that they did arrive at, is that his condition wasn't the result of what he was eating. Since all of the rest of my dogs are doing well, I will continue doing what I do.

Tsunibear
01-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one feeding Diamond Natural to my dogs. With as often as Monty is at the vet with allergies and his FSF, I can say with the utmost confidence that the food I am feeding him isn't a problem. Heck the vet asked me not to take him off of it and just give him a home cooked meal for dinner due to all of the steroids he is on.

My Mom started feeding her dogs the food as well and now they are no longer itching. Heck their hair is growing back now, she was feeding pedigree before and her male Cairn Terrier was having a bad reaction to it.

Like I said before I think it could be from the fish formula. Sometimes fish based foods have an odor to them and that can make a dog not want to eat it.

samantha63
02-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Ive been feeding TOTW for about 2 years now, i do rotational feeding and use all four formulas. My great dane romeo had really bad sensitive tummy issues when he was younger and i switched him to TOTW at 5 ish months and have never looked back. he does great on it, loves it and never gets tired or bored with eating it (my guess is that s due to the fact that i rotate the formulas). his stools are nice and firm and his gas has gone down immensely!

choosing the right dog food is a case to case thing, ive seen some dogs do great on TOTW (i know a lot of dane owners that feed it with success) but ive also seen my fair share of dogs that dont do that well on it. the key is to find what is best for your dog while keeping the quality high :)

Davey Benson
02-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Most of us probably have this page book marked.....

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I know I've stressed over what I was feeding my dogs, especially when I have one fall ill, or in recient past, have one pass away, then I wonder if it might have been what they were eating, and could I have done better....

I've always tried to feed a 3 star food or better, and TOTW High Plains is 6 star rated.

Then I have ran across this site... (it's one I really recomend, wether you believe it all or not, it's helped me not to stress out so much over what I was/am feeding my dogs.)

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=dog_food_reviews

(Actually the whole website is pretty good reading.)

It basically says the same sort of thing... it's not so much specifically what you are feeding, is as important as how your dog is doing on what you are feeding. Of course there is the obvious what you DON'T feed your dog, (dark chocolate, grapes, onions, etc.) but one dog might do better on a chicken protein, one might do better on a beef protein, one might do better on fish.... I can't keep my pyrs out of the goat feed, and that has grains..... :rolleyes:

Ya just got to read the lable, and try not to feed anything you wouldn't want to eat for yourself, too much sodium, preservative, artificial colors, floor sweepings... etc.