PDA

View Full Version : Smart dogs=Pain in the butt

faolin~francesca
12-12-2010, 12:01 AM
I got a scat mat to try and keep my dogs from jumping on my counters. It's really werid, but when Faolin gets scared during storms he gets up there and tries to hide. I got it home and was setting it up just like I was supposed to. Put a treat behind it and when the dog gets on it, makes them get right off. Well since it had been folded in the box it had a small bend and wasnt flush with the counter, they went to get the treat and got off really quick like they were supposed to. Cesca sat and looked at it for about a minute then put her foot under the bend and took the treat. It was really neat to see her work through the problem but at the same time, WTF. I dont think that dang thing is going to do me any good now that they know how to beat it.

Tsunibear
12-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Oh that is priceless. You could try to get it to flatten out so they can't get under it and hope for the best.

I was told to put a cookie tray with water in it at the edge of the counter slightly over the edge with a treat behind it and when Missy started counter surfing the tray with water came down on her crashing. It took four times but she did stop.

Off topic do you have pictures of the two dogs cause I really want to see Faolin and Cesca.

Terry
12-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Had to google this and didnt know they existed?

http://www.shop4-scat-mats.com/

Murphy would have a sh!tfit :eek: but Emma would probably just lie on it :D

Terry

bodhizmom
12-12-2010, 08:14 AM
wow !
something about scatmats feels wierd to me
but what really got my attention is the price.
bodhi would probably bark at it
and bark . . .
and bark . . . and bark . . . . . . .

Jewel
12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
My friend uses a scat mat but she puts it on the floor in front of her counters? I am not sure using the scat mat ON the counter would really teach Bijou not to get on the counter. I am pretty sure she would be on it if the scat mat is not there. I don't think the point is to leave the mat on the counter all the time?

Pots and pans falling making a racket does not phase Bijou one bit. That happened yesterday. I dropped two or three metal baking pans and she was in the kitchen with me. She didn't even move one step and calmly watched me pick everything up. Bro would have been in the next county in a split second if that happned to him and traumatized for months, if not for life. When Bijou was just a tiny pup, I dropped a pan next to her head and even at that age she didn't flinch. Luckily Bijou does not usually take foods that are in closed containers or bags. She normally just goes for stuff that is left in the open like on the chopping board or in uncovered plates or bowls. So I can still defrost wrapped up meat on the counter and not worry she'll get it.

LilMissPris
12-12-2010, 09:02 AM
ROTFLMAO!! All of these comments are too funny cause they are so true and I could see each of your dogs reactions! Just yesterday, while on the phone with my MIL, my hubby was making a grilled cheese sandwich. He stepped away to look at the tv and while sitting in the office I saw Sophie just stand on the stove for his lunch:eek:. I freaked out(my poor MIL got even more freaked out) and ran over to chase Sophie away. Lunch was saved and Sophie was fine. But it's not just Sophie we have to watch out for, it's our smallest cat who loves bags so not much is safe defrosting on the counter;)

Jewel - Your Bro and my Sophie sound so much alike with loud sounds. She'll run away and then look at the sound barking at it but she's getting better as long as we let her sniff it. LOL!!

faolin~francesca
12-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Tsunibear, I have mountains of pictures but someone ate my usb cord. I'm sure you guessed, she is white and fluffy. Hopefully the one I ordered will be here before Christmas.

Tsunibear
12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Jewel dropping the pans themselves doesn't work for Missy. It was the water that did it. She loves water but, she doesn't love it attacking her from the counter. It has to be from a hose or she isn't okay with it. She is really weird needless to say. I can turn the water on in the sink and she doesn't care for it cause it is from the faucet but, if I put it on the spray nozzle her mouth is open and tail is wagging. She isn't scared of the faucet or anything like that I think she just doesn't care for it being stationary.

Faolin~francesca I feel your pain. All of my USB cords are now in a box.

faolin~francesca
12-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Cesca is just the opposite of Missy. She loves my pond and water from a bowl but once it starts moving, she wants to be no where near it. I think I might try the water in a pan on the counter edge. At least she couldnt get her foot under that :rolleyes:

Tsunibear
12-12-2010, 08:37 PM
If she does get her foot under it the water should come down on her. As for Missy I sometimes think she thinks she is part Newfoundland. :rolleyes: