PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get pyr pup

Jack Frost
07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a great pyr years ago and am considering one again. How many of you got your pups from a "reputable breeder" as opposed to a farmer? Do you prefer males or females as housepets? I'm also considering the rescue route but at this point in time I'm undecided.

Thanks
Jack

fluffylove
07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
haha a man after my own heart! A topic I am very passionate about!

Ok, first of all, DON"T GO TO A PET STORE, they are all puppymill dogs.
2) Just because it's AKC registered, doesn't mean it's a good breeder, just means they haven't been caught doing anything nauty.
3) NEVEr take a puppy under 8 weeks of age. A good breeder doesn't let pups go that early.
4) Health guarantee should be LIFETIME,
5) If there is anything temperment/health wrong with your dog you should get a second for free when you are ready without having to return your pet. THis is a huge one. Most breeders don't do this.
6) Don't go just by the parents, ask about five generations back about health and temperment issues, ALL breeders have issues, some less serious etc
7) Is it a show, working or pet being bred. Show dogs are not bad, but often breeders breed to what is winning which is not good. Breed to the standard, not to politics. Showing is 90% polictics and 10% standard. I've seen crippled dogs win. Very frustrating. Just because a dog is winning, doens't mean it's any good. It can be, but not always.
8) If it's a working livestock guardian dog, they tend to have sharper temperments.
9) Bigger is NOT better
10) I would strongly suggest staying away from back yard breeders and farmers because you get no guarantee and no idea about temperments, cheaper yes, but no guarantee. Up here in Canada they sell for 1200 and up and that's cheap.
11) COnsider rescue groups too! You get an adult and know how big it is and what issues they have. There are LOTS in rescue, I would totally do that.. breeders can be a handful to deal with..again, not all..I lucked out. My breeder is AWESOME.

PYrs bark, wander and shed. If you have issues with any of this don't get one! :o) The barking can be annoying, shedding a lot of work and the wandering terrifying...but they are so clever, compassionate dogs. Usually not food motivated and will guard you with their lives, happily.

I like males better, females are...well...bit...c...hhh....es..lol
My breeder is www.limberlostkennels.ca she's an icon in the breed.
I have two from her, I'd have a whole run of males if I could! Females are tougher to potty train and oh boy... :o)

I'm sure I missed something...fill it in group!

Yellowvespa
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I got mine from my uncle so I don't know what would make a great breeder.

I would just suggest doing a lot of research in all aspect.
I do think a rescue is a great way to get a forever friend in need of a home.

Amatrine
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM
My first two were a farm/back yard breeder. They died from horrible issues.
Make sure you get a good breeder for sure! We went through so much trauma, emotionally and financially. After all that it its no wonder I had the small stroke and seizures for the first time in my life.

It is wort the wait and travel to get one from the rite person.

Linda&Max
07-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Fluffylove had many great points. I came into pyr ownership making many of the mistakes warned about there. Max was a surprise Christmas gift (fortunately a very WELCOME surprise!) My husband's family had a pyr while he was growing up, and loved the breed. So when he saw the ad in the paper for pyr pups (I think for $300) he jumped at the opportunity. The pups were bred by a farm family (in Indiana!) that raise them primarily for guarding their livestock. We met both the mom and dad. We brought home a 6 week old male pup (I know, I know) being totally unprepared. I've had a crash course on pyrs since then, which is how I found this forum.
Max is solely a housepet. We had no intention of showing or breeding him. He's been a great addition to our family. Unfortunately, we have had a fairly major health issue with him that I understand is partially genetically based-osteochondritis. He's still confined to limited activity, which is driving us both a little nuts.
Good luck to you as you continue in this process.

vin63
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Please check with a rescue. There are many Pyrs in need of adoption and a good home.

Jack Frost
07-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm thinking I'll probably go for a rescue. When I look at all of the pyrs on petfinder my heart goes out to them.

Jack

fluffylove
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey Jack, definetly, rescue. I help them out up here and often want to steal them, they are awesome dogs!

By the way, if you go for a breeder and want to confirm they are good, let me know. I'll check it out from here...nicely. I've got lots of experience with bad ones (from people I know) I'm very involved with dog people up here, crazy and sane! lol
I also know from the show world, and from livestock guardians as well which by the way I'd stay away from. I know of one that people got, the dog was stalking the kids when the pup was 8 months old! It was attacking the kids. Ugh.

Rescue the way to go!!!!

Davey Benson
07-03-2010, 07:44 PM
...4) Health guarantee should be LIFETIME,
5) If there is anything temperment/health wrong with your dog you should get a second for free when you are ready without having to return your pet. THis is a huge one. Most breeders don't do this.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but what exactly does that mean? :confused:

I have a border collie cross who is 11 years old now. She has been diagnosed with lung cancer. So if a health guarantee lasts a life time that means if you have a dog 11,12,13 years or so, and he developes a condition you get another dog?

Wow, that sounds terrific! Basically you never get just one dog, you are always assured of at least two! :p

Davey Benson
07-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a great pyr years ago and am considering one again. How many of you got your pups from a "reputable breeder" as opposed to a farmer? Do you prefer males or females as housepets? I'm also considering the rescue route but at this point in time I'm undecided.

Thanks
Jack

Ya, I sure as hell wouldn't want to get a dog from a farmer, those guys are A-holes!

Jewel
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Well, we have lots of working pyrs here in TX, so it is quite common to get a pup from a farm or ranch. Thus it is normal to mention farms as a source to get pyr pups. A pup from solid, healthy, reliable working stock is likely to be a loyal good dog.

The key is to avoid those people who breed just to sell pups. Many of these people call themselves "breeders". Problem is they are not in it to better the breed. They are not using proven, health screened breeding stock, but rather are interested just to make puppies. These people should not be supported.

Davey, health guaranties are for genetic defects, like bad hips, elbows and various breed specific genetic issues. I suppose one day they may be able to determine a cancer gene, but for now cancer is usually not covered by health guaranties.

Tsunibear
07-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Missy came from a breeder who has working dogs. She was an accidental litter the breeder showed me her grandparents from her Mom's side and talked to me about her dogs for a good hour.

Jack Frost
07-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Ya, I sure as hell wouldn't want to get a dog from a farmer, those guys are A-holes!

I don't believe farmers are "A-holes" ... farmers are many times much more knowledgeable about animals and breeding, pedigrees, outcrossing, inbreeding, etc. I was just asking where people got their pyrs. I am not convinced that so called "reputable breeders" (and I put that in quotation marks) are all what they are cracked up to be. From my experience most of them want to sell their dogs for show and pass off the ones with poor pigment, small size, etc. as pets. It was not my intention to critize the farmers. Just wanted to make that clear.

Jack

Davey Benson
07-04-2010, 06:56 AM
... It was not my intention to critize the farmers. Just wanted to make that clear.

Jack

Thanks for clarifying. :D

Jewel
07-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey now, it would not be fair or correct to infer that show breeders have no knowledge of pedigree or bloodlines. Yes, there are diligent breeders who will take responsibility for the dogs they bred. Breeders of LGDs sell those pups that are not suitable for work as pets, no different than show breeders sell the non-show quality dogs as pets.

Jack Frost
07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey now, it would not be fair or correct to infer that show breeders have no knowledge of pedigree or bloodlines. Yes, there are diligent breeders who will take responsibility for the dogs they bred. Breeders of LGDs sell those pups that are not suitable for work as pets, no different than show breeders sell the non-show quality dogs as pets.

True. My intention was not to insult the breeder or the farmer. I'm getting a rescue.:)

fluffylove
07-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately common sense is lacking places. If there is anything wrong with a dog like really early cancer, hip displaysia, elbow problems, nasty temperment, wobblers, criptorchids, luxating patellas, seizures, early blindness, deafness, that sort of thing. Many dogs don't get siezure until they are 4 or 5 years old, some people don't know their dogs are displastic until they are past the 2 year age. Pyrs can be maturing for far past 2. Most breeders don't give a resplacement for free, or even withouit returning the pup.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but what exactly does that mean? :confused:

I have a border collie cross who is 11 years old now. She has been diagnosed with lung cancer. So if a health guarantee lasts a life time that means if you have a dog 11,12,13 years or so, and he developes a condition you get another dog?

Wow, that sounds terrific! Basically you never get just one dog, you are always assured of at least two! :p

fluffylove
07-04-2010, 02:33 PM
oooo this is going to be fun! **smiling**

Hold on guys, farmers DEFINETLY can be first class A$$holes!!! No good breeder up my way (Ontario) sells for guarding sheep anymore. If they do it's under specific circumstances, but it's rare and those dogs are never groomed or looked after, it's sad. You have to keep in mind there are excpetions to the rule, there always are! I have seen lovely dogs come from guardian parents, it's just typically they are far sharper temperments because farmers want more aggression. Look at the problems they have in France now with dogs, huge issues.
I can only speak for breeders in Canada, most (always exceptions) sell to loving homes, always wanting a dog returned if it can no longer be taken care of. Most people up here do that. There is no such thing as the perfect dog, even ones that are showing with mutliple BIS placings, there is always something wrong with them. My breeder had the most magnificant moving male she sold, it won specialties and was stunning, he was however small, 27" at best. Size however is the last thing people should look at. Men, size does not matter! lol I love a big dog but it's secondary to movement, structure, health and temperment. Done. Hope I haven't made any enemies! :o)

I don't believe farmers are "A-holes" ... farmers are many times much more knowledgeable about animals and breeding, pedigrees, outcrossing, inbreeding, etc. I was just asking where people got their pyrs. I am not convinced that so called "reputable breeders" (and I put that in quotation marks) are all what they are cracked up to be. From my experience most of them want to sell their dogs for show and pass off the ones with poor pigment, small size, etc. as pets. It was not my intention to critize the farmers. Just wanted to make that clear.

Jack

Jack Frost
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Well you've all made good points and I guess I'll have to go with my gut feeling - rescue. Since so called reputable breeders take their dogs back if you don't want them any longer or can't care for them, then are most rescues the product of backyard breeders? If so, I guess their dogs aren't too bad since so many people love their rescues and have had them for years. Just a thought.

Jack

Amatrine
07-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I had to look that one up . I have never heard of wobblers.

fluffylove
07-06-2010, 04:01 PM
wobblers is rare, but it affects the spinal cord, I believe it's the pinching off of the cord with the vertabra?

Even good rescues take back dogs that you can't take care of. I know what to look for in a breeder and can always tell a good one froma bad one. It's not brain surgery but education, lots and hooking up with a good one from the start you can identify good ones and ones that just don't care. Either way, I always encourage rescue! Rescues come mostly from back yarders and puppy mills oh and bad breeders that don't take back their dogs. I just came across a puppy mill broker called toronto (same as my city) and they are a puppy mill broker like the Hunte Corp. Buying a pup there is like buying a CD online.