PDA

View Full Version : soft poop

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 06:55 AM
We are having a lot of issues with this from Dottie. When I picked her up last wednesday I took her out in their front yard and she pooped. It was soft, not formed at all and somewhat...explosive:eek:. Ever since we got her home her poop isn't explosive anymore but it's definetely not formed, it's like soft serve ice cream. It is however better than her initial poop.

Is there anything we can do? She has a vet appointment next tuesday. I have decided to keep her here at the house until this clears up, no walks or trips incase that's effecting her. She has done a cold turkey switch from purina puppy to Wellness large breed puppy, I had a couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt to her meals hoping that'll help put some good bacteria back in her tummy. I had no choice because she refuses purina puppy all together but LOVES her Wellness.

We are also curious if she possibly still has worms I see little specks, almost like rice, in her poops. Would worms cause her to have diarrhea?

grtpyrlvr
05-18-2010, 07:17 AM
We are having a lot of issues with this from Dottie. When I picked her up last wednesday I took her out in their front yard and she pooped. It was soft, not formed at all and somewhat...explosive:eek:. Ever since we got her home her poop isn't explosive anymore but it's definetely not formed, it's like soft serve ice cream. It is however better than her initial poop.

Is there anything we can do? She has a vet appointment next tuesday. I have decided to keep her here at the house until this clears up, no walks or trips incase that's effecting her. She has done a cold turkey switch from purina puppy to Wellness large breed puppy, I had a couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt to her meals hoping that'll help put some good bacteria back in her tummy. I had no choice because she refuses purina puppy all together but LOVES her Wellness.

We are also curious if she possibly still has worms I see little specks, almost like rice, in her poops. Would worms cause her to have diarrhea?

A lot of internal parasites can cause a loose stool as well as a change in food and diet. I swear by "Canned pumpkin" for my dogs when this happens. It solidifies the poop within a couple of hours when mixed with their food.

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 07:30 AM
A lot of internal parasites can cause a loose stool as well as a change in food and diet. I swear by "Canned pumpkin" for my dogs when this happens. It solidifies the poop within a couple of hours when mixed with their food.

I can not find a can of canned pumpkin by me to save my life! Went to wal-mart, jewel, k-mart, walgreens and nothing! I even had my husband stop at the stores around his work, which's an hour away and HE can't find it.

She isn't having accidents though it's not so bad she can't control herself she can hold it. We were also worried quite possibly she could have gotten into something before she came to us. She was outside 24/7 noone knows what she did (besides eat some chicken eggs and kill some chickens).

Just have to wait until I can get her in tuesday and find out. I'm not sure what her worming schedule was the woman said she was wormed at the breeders but with what and how many times she did not say.

Amatrine
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Specs that look like rice sounds like worms all rite.
If the stool is runny, could be other things too. Does it have a bad smell?
Coccidia has a nasty smell. I would take a stool sample in.

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Specs that look like rice sounds like worms all rite.
If the stool is runny, could be other things too. Does it have a bad smell?
Coccidia has a nasty smell. I would take a stool sample in.

Well it smells like poop...so guess that's bad. It is a really strong poop smell. I wanted to leave a piece of poop outside so she knows where to go but it smells to bad we have to scoop it immediately.

We're suppose to bring a sample in tuesday but can I bring one in earlier? I'd like to get this taken care of before tuesday. Like I said I have no clue what her previous worming schedule or what product was used.

If we can find pumpkin should I still offer her some?

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Should I possibly fast her for tonight? She eats really well, drinks well, I was told to try adding plain white rice to her food but we only have brown rice would that work? My husband is going to try looking for canned pumpkin again he'll stop at all the stores on his way home from work this evening.

TexasKat
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
We're suppose to bring a sample in tuesday but can I bring one in earlier? I'd like to get this taken care of before tuesday.

Call the vet, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. Rice-looking pieces are potentially tapeworms, but it's also possible that your pup has several types of worms and it may even be something more serious.

Don't depend on over the counter worm meds.

It also may take several wormings before your pup is free of them altogether.

Amatrine
05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I would get her in faster if you can. If it is coccidia, it can go downhill fast. I know, I had an outbreak here from a foster once. It was a nightmare to get rid of. Even if you can just take a stool sample in now and drop it off. They charge around $25 for the test.

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Well tuesday is the first day she can physically go in to the vet I called the morning after we got her to set that appointment up. I called the receptionist said she would double check about bringing in a sample to check but she was pretty sure I could. I explained to her the situation and she agreed it had to be checked. So next time she poops I'll bring it in. Hopefully she'll poop before they close.

Tsunibear
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
What kind of food are you feeding? The rice looking specs are most likely worms they would be in her stool even if it was firm. Missy gets really soft stool when she eats certain dog foods i.e. Blue Buffalo, if I feed her that I have to mix it or her poop is super soft.

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
What kind of food are you feeding? The rice looking specs are most likely worms they would be in her stool even if it was firm. Missy gets really soft stool when she eats certain dog foods i.e. Blue Buffalo, if I feed her that I have to mix it or her poop is super soft.

Well she's eating Wellness large breed puppy now. She's been on it since saturday night. Her poop has always been soft even when on purina puppy, which's what she ate before coming here. I mix in some plain yogurt with her food.

She doesn't seem to be pooping a lot either, she has only pooped twice today this morning at 7 and than again at 11. She than usually poops around 6:30-7 at night. She has farted quite a few times too.

indypyrenees
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Well we did give her some brown rice mixed with cheese. I gave her just the rice and cheese this afternoon and then took the other half and mixed it with her kibble and yogurt this evening. She LOVED it (and when I made her batch of rice and cheese for tomorrow my husband thought it was our dinner and started nibbling on it lol). Wouldn't you know too she is usually on the clock with her poops and the one day the vets open late she misses her evening poop! Hasn't pooped since 11 o'clock. I was able to get her in for a vet visit thursday though the vet said he will stay late to get her in for me :).

But we're hoping getting her wormed will help with the poop issue.

indypyrenees
05-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Well we are off to the vet today now. Had to get Dottie into a different vet, one we've never seen before. Her soft poop is now full out diarrhea :(. She's still drinking out and would eat anything if I fed her but we haven't fed her since yesterday morning.

My poor baby I hope she'll be ok.

TexasKat
05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Please let us know how Dottie is when you get back. We're all hoping it will be something easy to clear up, but it's great that you're taking her in today instead of waiting till next Tuesday.

Fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Chicag0_Red
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Please let us know how Dottie is when you get back. We're all hoping it will be something easy to clear up, but it's great that you're taking her in today instead of waiting till next Tuesday.

Fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Yeah ... What she said! :D

_Red

Terry
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
we had a very bad time when we first got Murphy and it went on for weeks.
had him wormed and was also trying to figure what kind of food was the best for him.
but he did eventually quit (squirting) all over the place.
i will ask my wife later as to what finally made him better?

good luck with Dottie eh!!

Terry

indypyrenees
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Well today was interesting, and we found out we are actually Dotties 3rd owners! I called the woman we adopted her from to find out what breeder she was from so we could get the worming information. She told me that she would have to get a hold of the woman SHE adopted her from since that woman bought Dottie from the breeder.

So after forever the vet found out Dottie has only been wormed once and was given an over the counter walmart wormer to boot. So needless to say she has quite a bit of worms. So she was wormed, and we had the apply some frontline plus because I wasn't sure she had eaten enough when I gave her the Program tablet. We're going to see how this goes with the worming, going to start her on some boiled chicken and rice tomorrow. If we can't get things to solidify she'll have to go back in. They are going to call and check on her progress next week.

She's still in great and quite mischievous spirits though so that's a great thing!

Terry
05-20-2010, 02:04 PM
just found out he had a reaction to the worm med he was first on but we had to wait for that to get out of his system, before they put him on the right stuff.

i thought it was the food but was just told by my wife it was the worming..

Terry

indypyrenees
05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Hopefully she'll be ok with this worm medication, would hate for this to get worse.

The vet said it could be her food, but if things start firming up than we'll keep her on wellness, she seems to like it. Well my husband thinks it's more of the yogurt she likes but she's eating really well. The vet suggested we push through this 15 lb bag though, we're already halfway done so that wouldn't be a problem.

She seems to otherwise be in a good mood. She was quite upset we didn't go on our walk today though. I could tell she missed it she seems more rambunctious than usual.

Chicag0_Red
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I know when Hank got the runs after coming home with us and switching food we gave him 1/2 teaspoon of pepto-bismol liquid (and let him lick the spoon LOL) and cut the yogurt back to 1 teaspoon full because it might be too rich for Dotties tummy along with everything else going on.

As with everything else Your Mileage May Vary; but, the pepto worked great for Hank with just one dose. (he was about 18 pounds at the time.) We tend to under medicate due to the Pyr Metabolism.

OVER-THE-COUNTER MEDICATIONS (http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm)

_Red