PDA

View Full Version : The Great Escape

DPUS
05-08-2010, 06:01 AM
My usually routine is get up 4:30am, let the dogs out in the backyard, make coffee, and then join the dogs in the backyard. The dogs do their duty and then want to come in and go back to sleep.

Last night the wind knocked down a portion of my fence making an opening for these big dogs to get through. When I went into the backyard and the yard was empty, I looked to see if any of the gates were open. No. I thought did I put them in the backyard? Did someone steal 700 lbs of dog? I found their escape route, propped the fence back up, and immediately called out. Jaxie came running, whimpering all the way. I put Jaxie in the house.

No sign of the other dogs so I got in my car and started searching the neighborhood. No sign. I came across the paper delivery gal and ask if she had seen big dogs and she pointed to the next block. There they were, Drizzle, Pax, and Peaches (foster Pyr) running and having a good ole time, but no Petro to be seen. At a distance, I honked, got their attention, and they stood still. When I got near, I opened the car door and called them to me. Drizzle and Pax right away jumped in. Peaches was hesitant and stayed at a distance, wanting to go in the car but not wanting to come near me. After several attempts, I decided I needed another approach and started home to put Drizzle and Pax in the house and get some roast beef to lure Peaches to me. To my surprise Peaches starts following the car and out of the rearview mirror I can now see that Petro (who came out of nowhere) has joined the follow. I parked the car in the garage, Peaches and Petro came in the garage, out the service door and into the backyard.

I think we were all relieved the adventure was over but it was too early in the morning to have such excitement.

Any great escape stories?

suttongal
05-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Haha.........great story. No escapes yet, just waiting for the day the kids leave the gate open. My last dog was named Houdini by the dog catcher.

Chicag0_Red
05-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Sounds like your routine is similar to mine. Thankfully Hank hasn't decided to go "visiting" yet.
The closest thing to a great escape (from Hank) is managing to get an unsecured gate open (courtesy of the yard crew) and going around to the front porch to be let in because I was taking too long to get out to the back yard.

Used to have a Rhodesian Ridgeback / Lab mix that you couldn't keep anywhere he didn't want to be. Like suttongal's dog his nickname was houdini but the neighbor had to give it to him because the dog catcher never could get close enough. And he didn't wait for the wind to blow the fence down he would take his mouth and pull boards out of the fence until it was a big enough hole to go through. But the worst one was the day he drug the trampoline over close enough to the fence to use it to vault the 6 foot fence. (Why climb when you can jump?) The neighbor said it was the funniest thing he had ever seen.

grtpyrlvr
05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Sounds like we could of commiserated together at 4:00 am! Last night my gang plus my foster pup, 4 months old, were going crazy to go out. So I got out of bed let them out then stood at the window to watch them. Well we have an invisible fence and I totally forgot that I did not put my shep's collar back on. This happens often but he never leaves the boundaries after 3 years. I see all of them sprint back to the back of the yard and notice there are rabbits in our yard. Well My shep takes off after the rabbit, my pyr follows and my foster runs back to me and hides. My guys spent about 20 minutes chasing the rabbits up and down the farmers field! I got my Pyr leashed and called my shep to heel and walked back to the house. Let everyone inside and my puppy is whining to go out so I let him out, shep bolts past to get the rabbit on the porch and it all starts over again..... Mind you it was 5:00 by the time I got everyone in and remembered to put the collar back on!

DPUS
05-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Great stories!

I am just a little disappointment that Peaches didn't keep her 'flock' of Danes together.

Chicag0_Red
05-09-2010, 04:58 AM
That is because she was busy Guarding them... LOL