PDA

View Full Version : My puupy and my dachshund do not get along?

Amatrine
04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I need help. My dachshund is afraid of the new puppy. He tries to play and bites, and she runs away. He takes this as an invitation to taunt her now.
When she does snap back at him, he gorwls, and I have to pull him away from her.

When he gets older he could easily harm her.
Is there anything I can do to nip this in the butt ? He tries to bite the other small dogs and they assert themselves and he leaves them alone.

I have given him a stern no with a light nose smack and pull him away from the dachshund, but he persists. She is terrified of him and waits to go outside to pee etc when he is sleeping and hides on the couch where he can not yet jump onto.

Help!!

grtpyrlvr
04-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I need help. My dachshund is afraid of the new puppy. He tries to play and bites, and she runs away. He takes this as an invitation to taunt her now.
When she does snap back at him, he gorwls, and I have to pull him away from her.

When he gets older he could easily harm her.
Is there anything I can do to nip this in the butt ? He tries to bite the other small dogs and they assert themselves and he leaves them alone.

I have given him a stern no with a light nose smack and pull him away from the dachshund, but he persists. She is terrified of him and waits to go outside to pee etc when he is sleeping and hides on the couch where he can not yet jump onto.

Help!!

First of congrats on your new pyr puppy! Second I would not do the little nose smack thing on your pyr. They respond very poorly to that type of training and seem to be best with positive reinforcement. Have you tried putting your pyr on a leash and then letting the two of them get together? That way you have control if the dog decides to jump and "play" with the little dog. I would make sure that you give both of them little treats so they are beside one another that makes a positive association between the 2. It's tough to introduce a new dog into a home that already has one. Especially when their is such a big size difference between the 2.

vin63
04-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Are you currently doing any other training with your puppy? I would separate them until you are able to modify the behavior with some training.

Amatrine
04-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Not yet, he is too young. He is only 7 weeks.

TexasKat
04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Not too young. Started teaching Scout not to nip at 6 weeks. Used a bit of smeared peanut butter and lots of verbal reinforcement. When he licked at the PB, reinforced with praise "Kisses! Sweet kisses :)", if he nipped, pulled his face away saying "NO BITES!! :( "

Maybe you could decorate your dachsie ears or side of her face with a bit of PB (in very close supervision and with no other dogs around) and reintroduce them with some individual training. Of course, your dachsie needs a bit of PB too (just to keep it fair).

Only do this when you're directly in control of both dogs. Sit down at their level with the dachsie in your lap. Cuddle her and only praise the pup for good behavior. The point is to associate yummies with the dachsie's presence.

Sounds silly I know, but Scout learned pretty quickly that only kisses got him the yummy PB.

vin63
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Not yet, he is too young. He is only 7 weeks.

Wait, he's hold enough to bite, chase and otherwise assert his dominance over your other dogs, but you think he's too young to train? If you're not going to train your puppy, then keep him separated from the other dogs. The alternative is that he will continue to aggressively establish his dominance/placement in the pack, recognizing the lack of training or correction from humans, as approval.

Amatrine
04-21-2010, 12:21 PM
No, I am training him every day. I am talking about class training. I will not do that until he has all his shots.

Jewel
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Perhaps you are already doing it, if so, ignore me :) I find that with the really young pups, they have more difficulty understanding corrections (maturity issue). It is easier with behavior shaping methods like clicker training.

Tsunibear
04-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Perhaps you are already doing it, if so, ignore me :) I find that with the really young pups, they have more difficulty understanding corrections (maturity issue). It is easier with behavior shaping methods like clicker training.

I did something similar with Missy but I used the dog whistle. I blew it and she quit chewing on the little cairn terrier. When she stopped playing to rough with the little one I praised her. Now she doesn't play rough with them at all.

Amatrine
04-21-2010, 06:54 PM
That sounds like a good idea, I will try that. Abby is doing a tad better today. She is sitting near him rite now, but she has a bone and wont let him near her. She wont stand up for herself but she will for a bone , silly girl.

I will get a dog whistle this weekend. Sounds like a good plan.
I think as he gets older it will be better , as she has always done fine with older dogs, and even large older dogs. I have had German Shepherds I have fostered and she did not mind. Just this puppy thing.

vin63
04-22-2010, 06:45 AM
If you are having agression issues among your dogs, it is not a good idea to have treats around without ensuring that the dogs are separated, and to make sure the treats are put away when done. Having treats around in that manner just increases anxiety and tension in the household.

grtpyrlvr
04-22-2010, 01:45 PM
That sounds like a good idea, I will try that. Abby is doing a tad better today. She is sitting near him rite now, but she has a bone and wont let him near her. She wont stand up for herself but she will for a bone , silly girl.

I will get a dog whistle this weekend. Sounds like a good plan.
I think as he gets older it will be better , as she has always done fine with older dogs, and even large older dogs. I have had German Shepherds I have fostered and she did not mind. Just this puppy thing.

Not to scare you but the only "fight they drew blood" was over a treat when my dad's pyr came and my shepherd was here.... It seems to be a "trigger" among most dogs..I would keep all treats out of the picture till they are on better terms. Even now we seperate my dad's dog and mine when they eat a treat bigger then they can chomp in a few seconds.

Amatrine
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Well things are looking better. Today my dachshund instigated play with him and they are both playing with each other!! I guess she just needed more time with this guy!

Now just teaching rooster that he is not as small as they are,lol