PDA

View Full Version : Picky Pooper

Milu
04-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi all! How are you all doing? Been rather busy lately, so just popping in with a quick question.
Kuma has become a creature of habit. At 7 and a half months old, he only really likes to do #2 in one place, in a flower bed behind the shed. Now, I'm not complaining, it's nice that he goes in one spot, keeps the yard sanitary (also, he hasn't lifted his leg yet). But the issue is that he won't go anywhere else. When I visited my in-laws-to-be last month, I spent about 2 hours each day just standing outside, trying to coax it out of him. They don't have a secure yard, but I also brought a tether to give him his space to do his business. He held it in for as long as he could, until it uh.. exploded out of him mid stride. He was also a bit reluctant to pee as well. In the weeks since, I've started to work with him on this, started out by standing near him while he did his thing, then trying to move on to the next step by having him on leash, etc. He won't go when he's on leash.
Any ideas? :)

Kate53
04-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Don't know what to say except to keep working with him until he gets the message that it is "okay" to go anywhere he can. Did you happen to "confine" Kuma for any length of time when he was a puppy? Perhaps he thinks that he is only "allowed" to go in a certain place because he didn't have an opportunity to go in different places while he was developing "the going-outside" habit. It almost sounds like he is a afraid of going #2 somewhere he is not suppose to? Just a thought though....
Now, I have the oppposite problem with Queenie. She doesn't want to go the bathroom in her fenced area beside the house. Instead, she wants to do all her business on her walks. I wish she would go in the fenced area once in awhile just to give me a break from walking!! The only time she goes #2 in her yard is if she has a tummy problem like diarrhea. Go figure, huh?

nick's spirit
04-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Seems like all my Pyr's have been "shy" about doing their business. If I can find a nice secluded spot for Holly to go, I can let her off her leash, she will "hide" in the tall bushes or grass & do her thing...then come bouncing back. The only time she will absolutly not do anything is when we are on the ferry heading back to Haines and the only place to "go" for 36 hours is the car deck on the ferry. She will not eat (except for dog cookies) she will drink minimal water, and wait til we get off the ferry in Ketchikan before she will do anything. EXcept last year when her little sister, Angel, who is a great traveler showed Holly it was okay to "do her thing" and Holly actually peed! A big step for her. So I think Kuma will eventually get it, he just has to figure it out...frustrating for you standing there. And I swear a Pyr can feel a thread attached to their leash...and they will not go!

Milu
04-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Kate-
He was crate trained when he was little, and still sleeps there at night. But the kinda quirky thing was that he was more than happy to do his business on walks when he was younger, but as he got older, he really wanted to stick to our yard. When we go on longer walks now, he holds his bladder till we get to our front lawn. I swear, if I didn't know any better, I would have thought that the mulish expression on his face was saying, "You dictate every other aspect of my life! When I eat, when I get tummy rubs! No! I'm clinging to this last scrap of dignity, I'm deciding when I poo!" :)

Davey Benson
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Ah ha! I've got a new money making ideal!

http://www.heathershikinghiatus.com/files/NewOuthouse.jpgGreat Pyrenees outhouses! :D

Milu
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Hah! What am I supposed to do with I go on trips, stick in the back of the pickup? Pyr-Port-A-Potties?

Jewel
04-02-2010, 07:36 PM
But of course, you don't have to carry one that height, silly, Kuma is not that tall. Build one not as tall and it will go right on top of the Jeep Liberty, no problem!:D

Actually, when Bijou was a wee pup she was reluctant about going to the bathroom away from home. When she was 4 months old I took her to her first pyr picnic. She played for 3 hrs and didn't pee once. When we got in the car to go home, she immediately peed in the car. She was "shy" that way for a while but eventually grew out of it. Now she marks territory like her brother on our walks.

Tsunibear
04-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Monty is the same way as Kuma is. Monty will go in the same place in the backyard every time and wouldn't go if someone was "watching" him go. Now he will go if I am watching him thanks to my boyfriend and I's constant lurking when he was going and popping out and waving at him. He will only go where he feels at home though. When traveling to Palm Springs he will not go poop for 9 hours when we get to Grandma's house where he stays when we are down there, he will then go with no problem.
Missy on the other hand goes wherever she wants. I am starting to think she likes an audience, because she only goes when she is being watched. Maybe she is trying to help Monty out by showing off.

pyr haven
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
my female pyr is also rather selective and will not poo outside. absolutely no class (or i think tat's wat's in her head)...she will also hold it and rarely pees till she gets home. my male pyr will mark but does a peculiar shoving his rear end into bushes :D so yeah, i do believe pyrs are quite shy about poo2ing. which kinda goes wit their regal bearings? lol

Milu
04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
She won't go outside!? Then where does she go inside?

pyr haven
04-03-2010, 10:04 PM
She won't go outside!? Then where does she go inside?

oh blimey, i mean outside of our property...meaning after a walk and poo on our garden..sorry for tat :o

Davey Benson
04-04-2010, 07:18 AM
LOL.... I just pictured your great pyrenees inside your house sitting on the loo reading a magazine. :D

Milu
04-04-2010, 08:52 AM
LOL.... I just pictured your great pyrenees inside your house sitting on the loo reading a magazine. :D

Me too! I was mighty impressed that you convinced a pyr to perch herself over a toilet!

grtpyrlvr
04-06-2010, 06:34 AM
All the pyrs we have owned have preferred to come back and do their business at our property. Made walks real easy because I did not have to carry a bag with me ;)

Only the males will pee here and there but they wait till we get home to do a "big pee-pee"