PDA

View Full Version : New Pyr - Food Aggression from old Pyr

mom2two06
02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
So we picked up a rescue today. She could do with or without my two but they seem to like her. However, when I threw down food for the three of them, my male (5 months) went ballistic on her. She is 14 months and about double his size, but he went right after her when she tried to eat her food. Never mind that he had his own.. then after I broke that up, when he was finished with his, he went right over and stole hers. Poor girl seems timid, though I was told SHE had exhibited food aggression (none that I can see), so he drives her away.

What would be the best way to handle this? Should I feed her separately until she gets a little quicker (she is new to raw)? How do I correct Bandit when he does this? When I tried to get her food back he ran from me and wouldn't even drop it when I had his collar. :( They have always been so good and have never done this with each other... I never expected it from either one of my two.

vin63
02-26-2010, 07:57 AM
I tend to feed new members/fosters, etc., separately just in case there are any behavior issues. While all of my dogs eat in the same room, their bowls are separate from each other and far enough away to provide a buffer zone.

Davey Benson
02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I know some people feed their dogs together.

I just don't, it saves having to deal with food agression issues. This way, it just doesn't get a chance to start. Everyone here has their own dish, and own corner. I don't shut anyone in a seperate room or crate or anything, they can come and go, but they are out of eye shot of each other, and that seems to work really well for me. The water dish is a communal one, and I've never had to break up a fight at the water cooler, but the food dishes are seperate.

The dogs do a really good job of eating their own food, and not running around seeing who's dish has the better food. Plus I feed them in my office, and I stay at my desk and work while they eat... so I can referee if I have to.

Also by feeding this way, everyone has their own diet, the adults, the geriatric patient, the large breed puppies, etc.

I hand out treats from time to time, and they will all gather around tightly for those, and I've not have any issues when I had out the food.

My two latest pup's were litter mates. I feed them in one area, and they have their own dishes, but they don't have food boundry issues with each other, they will sometimes eat from their own dish, and sometimes both dive into one dish, and then both over to the other one. :rolleyes:

pyr haven
02-26-2010, 08:27 AM
i fed mine it a safe distance from each other (min 5-6 feet), me in between, later me at a close reachable distance, to curb any food aggression and to tell em to eat from their own bowl. they r very clever dogs so they understood exactly wat i mean. as always wit any behavious, tell them UH UH or NO as they are thniking of doing it. U must think like a big bear cos I sure was scared

mom2two06
02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you all. It pretty much sorted itself out. I fed her separately for a meal or two, Bandit stopped doing it and she learned to fend them off from her food (without fighting, they just seem to get that she really wants it).

As for distance, they are fed in the yard. I toss the chicken quarter on the ground and one takes it to their own corner of the yard. Then another, then another.. they seem to know if they don't get the first one, another is forthcoming. The pups eat fast but Holly finished her leg quarter without any trouble tonight at dinner, even with both of the puppies out there and bouncing around.

BK-47
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Mine each have their own food dish and eat about 6' apart. They do fine but it took some work to get there. At 5 & 6 years they are now very tolerant of each other and will eat out of one dish if neccessary.