PDA

View Full Version : Guarding?

ad_mn81
02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
So we took Ace to the dog park this afternoon and there was a golden retriever who was running around the wife as she had just given Ace a treat for coming when called. Anyway, this other dog was going crazy jumping on the wife and trying to get a treat. Ace saw this and began to what looked like push away the retriever by putting himself in between my wife and the other dog. This lasted for a few minutes and eventually the other dog went away. I interpeted this behavior as him trying to guard/protect my wife, not sure if I am right, but curious to see what u guys think.

lovely mornings
02-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Boomer did that from day one with me as well. Whenever I called lassie..., boomer would cut her off and block her from coming to me.

He claimed his dominance immediately over her.

He was initially greedy with his food, bone treats and sleeping area with her, she was not allowed on it or near me.

I think boomer was being greedy for my attention and what treats I might have for him when he did this with Lassie, as he knew she was no threat to me.

We called him Barkley at first because he backed into her like charles barkely did opponents on the court before he retired... full powerful body block and push them out of the way.

Kate53
02-22-2010, 09:20 AM
So we took Ace to the dog park this afternoon and there was a golden retriever who was running around the wife as she had just given Ace a treat for coming when called. Anyway, this other dog was going crazy jumping on the wife and trying to get a treat. Ace saw this and began to what looked like push away the retriever by putting himself in between my wife and the other dog. This lasted for a few minutes and eventually the other dog went away. I interpeted this behavior as him trying to guard/protect my wife, not sure if I am right, but curious to see what u guys think.

Queenie actually "rolled" a big male Shephard that she always appeared to accept and had socialized with occasionally. About 3 weeks ago we were walking in the neighborhood and ran into them (the dog's owner is a bit of a jerk and the dog has never been trained so he tends to really pull this guy around.) First I thought Ajax (the dog) was trying to get near Queenie to greet but when he tried to go around her to get close to me, she nailed him! It was like a "don't go there" kind of thing (she was being really nasty) and was adamant that he was not going to get close to me. First time she has ever taken on a male. Both the dog and the owner got the picture!!

DPW
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Sure sounds like protection behavior to me.
In the one year we've had Cider he's had two run ins with coyotes. The first time I watched Cider stay between the goats and a single coyote. The goats were bunched up in a tight group and the coyote pacing back and forth with Cider matching him step for step. Cider did not attack. He was only five months old at the time so that may have been the reason.
The second time, two months later, Cider hit a coyote with body blocks every time it got past a cow and got hold of a day old calf. I watched him hit the coyote three times.
Both times the coyote ran when it saw me heading it's way.
I have no data to back up this assumption but maybe Pyr's use just enough force to get the job done. Seems like Ace reacted just forcefully enough to keep the golden retriever away from your wife.
It also sounds like the goldens owner needs to get control of their dog.
Way to go Queenie!

vin63
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM

That is a protection tactic behavior. Our Newfoundland, Carlisle, did this often and used to protect our Yellow Lab, Henry, in the same way. Our Lab is such a submissive dog that other dogs at the dog park would often target him, but Carlisle would either stand between Henry and the other dogs, or roll the other dog(s) if they continued to exhibit dominant behaviors toward Henry.

Jewel
02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Great stories from everyone! I have a similar story with my first pyr Fifi. One summer we sort of joined an impromptu dog group at one of the local parks. We'd all go to one far end of the park away from the walk/bike trails and let our dogs off leash to play. One day we were all hanging out and the dogs had run around in the heat, and Fifi was lying in a exhausted white heap close to me, panting hard. My husband had been rollerblading and he walked toward the group, still wearing his rollerblades, from the walk/bike trail. He was walking funning because of the rollerblades and one female lab became alarmed and started barking at this approaching person. Fifi looked up, recognized that the person was her "Dad" even at a distance and got up and promptly put herself between the lab and her Dad and then started pushing at the lab's head with her own as if to get the lab to stop barking. That was the first time we ever saw her exhibit protection acts. We were very touched :)