PDA

View Full Version : How do I get papers for my Pyr?

Pyr-intrested
01-22-2006, 12:44 PM
In my local paper there is an ad for Great Pyrenees pups for sale for $150. It says they are purebred but no papers. What does that mean exactly? Can I get papers for him/her if I buy one? If so, how much will it cost? The price seems a little low, but I assume it is because there are no papers. Is it proper to ask the seller to prove that they are purebred, and how do I know the "proof" is authentic? :confused:

purveyor
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
No. That generally means that one or more of them either also is not registered or is not registered as allowed to breed. That means you would not be allowed to register yours.

Although there are many great Pet Pyrs than are unregistered, you have to be careful, some unscruplous people will try to pass off a mixed breed as a purebred in these cases. You need to ask to see BOTH the parents. If this is not possible, pass because its very possible that theirs just got knocked up by a passing dog and they dont own the other parent. This puts its genetics and health at great risk. If they are willing to see both parents, ask to see their health records and look for any above average vet visits or obvious problems. Carefully examine the parents, their attitude and personality as the pups will have some of the same attributes. Also the breeder should ask you all kinds of questions to see if it is the right breed for you. If they do not, pass because they are looking for any old home and don't really care if it is the right one or not. Ask the breeder lots of questions about the breed as well. If they stumble, then they don't know their breed much either and you are taking a risk as well. You also need to ask to see the puppies vaccination receipts for proof that they have been given their early puppy vaccination. If they avoid the topic, pass because this is a bad breeder who does nto know or care about the welfare of the pups and you could very easily end up with a sick pup that could cost you a lot in vet bills or worse one that later does not make it because of a lack or dilligence from the breeder

These situations are a risk, you are gambling that the breeder has 2 Pyreneees with good genetics and from good backgrounds that are in good health and have personalities that are suitable to pass to their offspring.

What is your price range for one? I know it is possible to get a really good pet pyr from a lot of really good breeders for about $500-600. They will fully guarantee them as well and will be registerable and they will proudly show you their pedigree, health and their animals x ray certifications so you can be sure that the parents are from really good stock.

risestar
01-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Laws differ from state to state. Many make it unlawful to advertise unregistered or unregisterable pups or dogs as purebred. Some do not however.

No, unfortunately, you would not be able to register a pup like that and yes, $150 is EXTREMELY cheap so its likely that its got something else mixed in and that the seller is trying to get rid of them quickly. I would say that one has alarm bells going off all over the place.

Typically, a good pet Pyr from a good breeder and line will run about $500 or a bit more, possibly as high as $800. A show animal will usually start around $1000-$1500. High price does not mean better though, you need to look into the breeder, examine the parents and their health as well as look to see if they have any show champs in their line or parentage as thats usually a sign of good conformation to the breed standard.

In my local paper there is an ad for Great Pyrenees pups for sale for $150. It says they are purebred but no papers. What does that mean exactly? Can I get papers for him/her if I buy one? If so, how much will it cost? The price seems a little low, but I assume it is because there are no papers. Is it proper to ask the seller to prove that they are purebred, and how do I know the "proof" is authentic? :confused: