PDA

View Full Version : Yawning

ad_mn81
02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I was just wondering how often everyone's dog yawns? It seems like Ace yawns alot, I dont think its a health issue or anything but just curious.

Davey Benson
02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
My Pyrenees didn't yawn much..... My border collie cross, is always bored. :rolleyes:

I've heard with people one theory is that a yawn is to cool the brain. I wonder if that's the case for dogs? Hmmm.... :confused:

Jewel
02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
From what I've read, a dog's yawn is actually body language that communicates important messages, in addition to the common physical reason that we all yawn. The experts say the yawn is used by a dog to signal peace and diffuse tension. For example when two dogs meet and there is a bit of tension coming from one of the dogs and the other is non-aggressive, the non-aggressive one would turn it head so as not to look at the nervous dog directly and then yawn to communicate that it has no intentions to fight.

So, my question to you, ad-mn81, is what have you been doing to threaten Ace such that Ace is sending you "chill out, man" signals?? :D :D

Tsunibear
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Missy yawns just before bed and in training. Then again she is the biggest dog in training and the others get nervous with her. So maybe Jewel is onto something.

Davey Benson
02-19-2010, 05:21 PM
That is intersting Jewel! :cool:

My border collie cross also sneezes quite a bit. When she does, it's never one sneeze but like about 6of them, one after another. I wonder what that means in doggie language? :confused: :D

Polar
02-20-2010, 06:27 AM
I think it means she needs a benadryl! Lol

Kate53
02-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Queenie yawns quite a bit but usually during our walks....almost like she is bored or something. I have never seen her yawn while socializing with other dogs. Hmmmm....maybe the other dogs yawn because of her???

dsloveswva
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
my joy yawns when she is overloaded with commands or in a situation when she needs to say 'please relax, everyone!' and i read that this is dog body language. humans yawn when our bodies need more oxygen, and for relaxation. probably acombination of both with our pyrenees friends.

pyr haven
02-21-2010, 07:05 AM
my male pyr give a big curly tongue yawn right in my face when he wakes up

ad_mn81
02-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Jewel From what I've read, a dog's yawn is actually body language that communicates important messages, in addition to the common physical reason that we all yawn. The experts say the yawn is used by a dog to signal peace and diffuse tension. For example when two dogs meet and there is a bit of tension coming from one of the dogs and the other is non-aggressive, the non-aggressive one would turn it head so as not to look at the nervous dog directly and then yawn to communicate that it has no intentions to fight.

Lol. Not sure, its mainly just when I pet him. He will look at me and smile and then yawn. Not sure what it means :)

lovely mornings
02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Interesting...
What about the yawn stretch combo..
When I call boomer right before he comes he yawns puts his paws straight out in front and puts his head down and lifts his hind end all the way up in a deep back stretch and then he comes....

It is hilarious..., it looks like he is going to lay down in protest to coming but he is just going through this ritual he does prior to walking up to you...

Unless you are holding food or treat, or calling other dog (in which you may be offering her a food or treat boomer wants first..) in which case he runs to you as fast as possible... lol.
P

Jewel
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Okay, for those who may be curious. This is from Stanley Coren in How to Speak Dog:

"A dog that is under stress will typically yawn. I dog obedience classes, I have often seen a dog yawn immediately after its master scolded it for something or gave it a very harsh correction."

"One of the most interesting uses of yawning is to send a pacifying message... The yawn contains no elements of fear, dominance, or aggression. It is the exact opposite of a threat. When a dog is being menaced by another dog's aggressive signals, the target of this display may simply respond with a yawn. While the dog's human companion may view this as a sign of nonchalance or bored confidence, it is in reality sending a pacifying message. At the same time, yawning is not a sign of submission. The threatening dog will often break of its aggressive display immediately upon seeing its target yawn."

"There is another situation where yawning can occur, but in this case it is a pacifying gesture given by a dominant dog. Suppose that a dominant animal is approaching a submissive dog who may be fearfully protecting something like food. In these circumstances, the dominant dog may yawn, perhaps as a sign of friendly unconcern. This seems to have a calming effect on the fearful dog."

Tsunibear
02-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Okay, for those who may be curious. This is from Stanley Coren in How to Speak Dog:

"A dog that is under stress will typically yawn. I dog obedience classes, I have often seen a dog yawn immediately after its master scolded it for something or gave it a very harsh correction."

"One of the most interesting uses of yawning is to send a pacifying message... The yawn contains no elements of fear, dominance, or aggression. It is the exact opposite of a threat. When a dog is being menaced by another dog's aggressive signals, the target of this display may simply respond with a yawn. While the dog's human companion may view this as a sign of nonchalance or bored confidence, it is in reality sending a pacifying message. At the same time, yawning is not a sign of submission. The threatening dog will often break of its aggressive display immediately upon seeing its target yawn."

"There is another situation where yawning can occur, but in this case it is a pacifying gesture given by a dominant dog. Suppose that a dominant animal is approaching a submissive dog who may be fearfully protecting something like food. In these circumstances, the dominant dog may yawn, perhaps as a sign of friendly unconcern. This seems to have a calming effect on the fearful dog."

Makes sense, Missy yawns in training all the time. If I get frustrated she yawns. I just thought it was because she was bored of me.