PDA

View Full Version : Question...Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard Mix

TheCiscoKid
02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Greetings!

New to the forums and Great Pyrenees. My fiancÚ and I are in the process of adopting a Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard Mix. We've been fully disclosed on how to handle a Pyr, but am not entirely sure how the Australian Shepard will come into play. We've got plenty of space and a large fenced in yard. Both are schedules are pretty flexible, so we have a lot of time to dedicate to training.

I guess were just seeking some information on this mix. I can't seem to find anything online at all. How do you think the temperament will be? Supposedly he's a big sweetie, so I doubt that'll change much. How does this breed do with other dogs? Other puppies? Could they form a strong bond if raised with another puppy their age?
Any information/advice would be great!

Thanks!

Jewel
02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Welcome! Is your new boy 1/2 pyr 1/2 aussie? Mixes are great, I've got one! My male is 1/2 pyr and I believe the other half definitely contains aussie and retriever.

The thing with a mix is you don't know which breed will show through where. My male is all white and he doesn't look like a aussie at all, he actually looks like a white retriever. But his sister is white with golden coloring resembling aussie merle pattern. My dog's temperament is definitely not the calm, secure pyr. He's a higher energy, nervous type. His sister, on the other hand, is just a chunk of love.

My male exhibits more of the herding, retriever type personality. He's got higher prey drive than a pyr, he is much more willing to please (thus much easier to train), and he's shown some herding instinct.

How old is the boy you are adopting? If it's a young pup, you will just have to wait to see which breed personality he exhibits. How exciting!

TheCiscoKid
02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome! Is your new boy 1/2 pyr 1/2 aussie? Mixes are great, I've got one! My male is 1/2 pyr and I believe the other half definitely contains aussie and retriever.

The thing with a mix is you don't know which breed will show through where. My male is all white and he doesn't look like a aussie at all, he actually looks like a white retriever. But his sister is white with golden coloring resembling aussie merle pattern. My dog's temperament is definitely not the calm, secure pyr. He's a higher energy, nervous type. His sister, on the other hand, is just a chunk of love.

My male exhibits more of the herding, retriever type personality. He's got higher prey drive than a pyr, he is much more willing to please (thus much easier to train), and he's shown some herding instinct.

How old is the boy you are adopting? If it's a young pup, you will just have to wait to see which breed personality he exhibits. How exciting!

Thanks so much for the reply! I think he's more 3/4 Pyr and 1/4 Aussie actually. He looks a lot more like a Pyr. He's mostly white with a few light brown patches on his back and one light brown ear. He's very fluffy and is about 12 weeks old. He looks HUGE in the photos, which we love!

I guess time will tell then. =)

Tsunibear
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks so much for the reply! I think he's more 3/4 Pyr and 1/4 Aussie actually. He looks a lot more like a Pyr. He's mostly white with a few light brown patches on his back and one light brown ear. He's very fluffy and is about 12 weeks old. He looks HUGE in the photos, which we love!

I guess time will tell then. =)

That is what Missy's breeder thought she was too. 3/4 Pyrenees and 1/4 Australian shepherd. I learned otherwise after talking to the lady but I was still kinda hoping that was what she was.

You have to put up pictures cause I would love to see him.

TheCiscoKid
02-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Here's a picture of the little guy taken by his rescuer =). We'll be picking him up this Saturday, yay!!! We're really hoping he's going to be a BIG boy! :D

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/criscojk/ethan.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/criscojk/ethan2.jpg

Davey Benson
02-18-2010, 08:58 AM
He just looks wierd without mascara! :p

TheCiscoKid
02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
He just looks wierd without mascara! :p

Well he's just naturally handsome ;) , he doesn't need any girly make-up! Being new to this breed, it took me a moment to figure out what you meant LOL.

Think he'll be a big?

Davey Benson
02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
(ya, without all the black facial features, like the black lips, and black eyelids, he just doesn't look as much like a polar bear as a pure Great Pyrenees.)

I think he should be at least as big as an australian shepard. :)

Just by looking at his tail, and his legs, I don't think he will get full Great Pyrenees size. But then again, he is just a baby.

Also from my exposure to my friends ausi, and the fact that my border cross has some ausi in her, I can confirm that breeds eagerness to please. They do have higher drive than a pyr, and will be more willing to please, easier to train, and perhaps show some herding instinct. Which is quite different than a Great Pyrenees physcosis of just roaming through the herd quietly, patrolling for what doesn't belong there.

*edit* yea! My 50'th post, now I'm officially an "old dawg". Finnally a tittle I can actually relate to. :D

Jewel
02-18-2010, 11:04 AM
He does have the looks of an aussie, the eye color too. If he's 3/4 pyr, then he is likely to have the size of the pyr. Sometimes the mixes have long legs and get the height but not quite the bulk of the pyr.

edit to add: just saw Davey's new post, here is mine at about 14 weeks. He's standing next to our first pyr, a 25 inch and 80 lb female. He ended up at 25 inches tall and a skinny 70 lbs, though people think hes about 80 lbs.

TheCiscoKid
02-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Kind of hoping he has a bit more Pyre in him, but either is fine by us. I spoke to the carrier last evening and they mentioned he weighed some where between 25 and 30lbs. Is this big for 12 weeks?

I've been doing a ton of research on both breeds. It's going to be very neat seeing which one takes over hehe.

And Jewel, those are some beautiful pups you have there!

Tsunibear
02-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Man he is way lighter then Missy and her siblings where. Do you know what the parents looked like? That would tell you what to expect size wise usually. Missy's mom was 100lbs and solid white. She was beautiful, her grandmother was the same weight and looked about the same. Her dad weighed 110lbs or so and was marked like a Bernese Mountain Dog I didn't get to see him but I had the option to walk 5 miles up a hill and meet him. I passed the description was enough for me. Missy was one of the bigger females in her litter and she was also one of the lightest ones too.

Jeneanxo
02-19-2010, 06:09 AM
I have a 4 year old 3/4 pyr, 1/4 aussie. she was a total spaz as a puppy. now that we have a full bred pyr puppy to compare her to, I realize just how mellow a pyr is. now that she's 4 she is so mellow and so sweet. the aussie part I think makes her a bit needier than the full pyr. I think it's a fantastic mix. she weighs about 80 pounds, she has the build of a pyr with aussie fur (silkier). attached is a picture of Esti (mix) with a 6 month Hopper.

GnuAttitude22
02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I just had to share my comment here.

My beloved Sam, a Pyr/Aussie mix passed away this time last year. She was 13 1/2 yrs old. Best dog I've ever owned. I've also had 2 full-blooded pyrs and border collies, and assorted other dogs in my life. I have to say a lot of the time Sam was a more of the people pleasing Aussie, but man, when the pyr kicked in she did what SHE wanted to do. LoL

She always had a smile on her face, loved to travel, camp, swim, shoot the rapids and chase squirrels! She was a really good-natured, protective when she needed to be, laid back lady. I truly miss her and when the time/place is right, I definitely want another pyr/aussie mix!

TheCiscoKid
02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I just had to share my comment here.

My beloved Sam, a Pyr/Aussie mix passed away this time last year. She was 13 1/2 yrs old. Best dog I've ever owned. I've also had 2 full-blooded pyrs and border collies, and assorted other dogs in my life. I have to say a lot of the time Sam was a more of the people pleasing Aussie, but man, when the pyr kicked in she did what SHE wanted to do. LoL

She always had a smile on her face, loved to travel, camp, swim, shoot the rapids and chase squirrels! She was a really good-natured, protective when she needed to be, laid back lady. I truly miss her and when the time/place is right, I definitely want another pyr/aussie mix!

It's amazing how attached we become to them! Sorry for your loss =(. Thank you so much for sharing. My fiancÚ and I are VERY excited to add Winston to our family. It's great to know others have had such great experiences with this particular mix!

TheCiscoKid
03-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Well "Winston" arrived from Tennessee this past weekend! He's quit the big ball of fluffy love. His paws are HUGE! I think he's going to be a pretty big boy. His legs are also very thick already. I think he's also way too smart for his own good. We're going to have to challenge him big time. He looks a lot more Pyr in person, especially in the face.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/criscojk/Win5.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/criscojk/Winn3.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/criscojk/Winston1.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s149/criscojk/Winston4.jpg

Kaspyr
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
He is a very nice looking puppy! My full-blooded Pyr was 25.5 lbs at 12 weeks. Have fun with him!

TheCiscoKid
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
He is a very nice looking puppy! My full-blooded Pyr was 25.5 lbs at 12 weeks. Have fun with him!

Thanks! He's between 25 and 30lbs, so I'm happy to hear he's close to a full Pyr size.

nick's spirit
03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
That is one handsome boy!!
I see mischief in those eyes!! But it sounds like you are up to the challenge.Looking forward to hearing all about Winston's growing up and antics.
Nancy & Holly

samcclelland
04-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I think you will be very happy with a Great Pyr/Aus Shepard mix. We recently adopted one (10 months/80 lbs) and she is a joy. We also have a Doberman/Aus Shepard mix (2 1/2 yrs old) and they bonded instantly. The deciding factor for us adopting her is that she is deaf. After only 4 days she already knows 4 basic hand signals. I guess that would be the Aussie in her as I have been told that Great Pyrs can be a little more difficult to train. Granted it is sometimes a little difficult to get her attention, as she is still a puppy, but once we have her attention she is very eager to please. Still we could not have asked for a better addition to our home.

Maggie's mom
04-07-2012, 05:45 PM
@ samcclelland--Welcome, and congrats on adopting such a wonderful, intelligent pup! I notice you're from Rke...I live in Vinton. We should plan a play day sometime! Maggie is just shy of 10 mos. old.

Jewel
04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
I guess that would be the Aussie in her as I have been told that Great Pyrs can be a little more difficult to train.

I would agree with that.:p My part aussie pyr mix is FAR easier to train and responsive than my purebred pyr.

Aussie/dobie, hmmm, we are gonna need pictures, pleeeeeze!

samcclelland
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Here are some pics of our 10 month old Great Pyr/Aus Shepard mix and Dobie/Aus Shepard mix.

Tsunibear
04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
They are too cute! Your dobbie/aussie mix looks like my friends rott/border collie mix.

Jewel
04-10-2012, 08:24 AM
We've been describing Bro as 1/2 pyr (this part we know) and 1/2 aussie/retriever - this part we are guessing. So, here's a comparison pic, that's a purebred aussie on the left (from a magazine cover) and Bro on the right. I am thinking there is definitely some resemblence, you think?

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad98/jewelpyr/Aussie.jpg

Davey Benson
04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
But does he have the same personality of an ausi?

My dog scout.....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/37765_448691029574_642379574_6282664_967624_n.jpg

His personality....

http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_06/sp_0611_01_v6.jpg?width=480

(and if you've ever seen tweek on sout park, you'd instantly know.... :D

Tsunibear
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Jewel I think you are right on with your guess. Bro's ear set is correct for an Aussie and the shape of his ears themselves resemble that of a Golden Retriever and his larger head structure would be from his pyr side. Seeing how he is 1/2 pyr and 1/4 Golden would also give him that color, especially if the Aussie part was a recessive gene like a red merle.

Jewel
04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh no, Davey, I confess, I've never watched South Park!

Hmm, since I am already at it, I'll make another confession. When we got Bro at 8 weeks, his ears were button ears like the pyr. When he was about 10 weeks, all of a sudden his ears turned into the rose ears like they are now. I was not happy about that because I preferred the button eared look. Sooooo, I taped his ears for months. :D But as you all can see, it didn't work.. :p

Tsunibear
04-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Hmm, since I am already at it, I'll make another confession. When we got Bro at 8 weeks, his ears were button ears like the pyr. When he was about 10 weeks, all of a sudden his ears turned into the rose ears like they are now. I was not happy about that because I preferred the button eared look. Sooooo, I taped his ears for months. :D But as you all can see, it didn't work.. :p

My Mom did that same exact thing with one of our Jack Russells because, their ears are suppose to be pointed down but, his started to stick up. It didn't work for her either. :rolleyes:

Thankfully Missy is mixed with a Berner so her ears are very similar to a Pyr.

pyr mix
07-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Greetings!

New to the forums and Great Pyrenees. My fiancÚ and I are in the process of adopting a Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard Mix. We've been fully disclosed on how to handle a Pyr, but am not entirely sure how the Australian Shepard will come into play. We've got plenty of space and a large fenced in yard. Both are schedules are pretty flexible, so we have a lot of time to dedicate to training.

I guess were just seeking some information on this mix. I can't seem to find anything online at all. How do you think the temperament will be? Supposedly he's a big sweetie, so I doubt that'll change much. How does this breed do with other dogs? Other puppies? Could they form a strong bond if raised with another puppy their age?
Any information/advice would be great!

Thanks!

I currently own a purebred Great Pyrenees female and a Pyrenees/Aussie mix male. They are both great dogs, very calm and loving. My mix thinks he's a lap dog and loves to be cuddled and loved on. The female is just jealous. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure your fence is at least 5ft tall. We had a 4ft tall fence and the mix jumps it like nobodys business. The good thing is he stay on the property where as when the purebred would jump she would take out for miles. So please make sure you have a secure AND tall fence. Enjoy the breed mix, I think its one of the best mixes I've found.