PDA

View Full Version : Getting a second Great Pyr

Tracey Stratton
02-16-2010, 12:19 PM
We currently own a 2 1/2 year old male great pyr and would love to get another. We have been contacted by someone that needs to get rid of one but it is another male. This concerns me because of what I have read, does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

TexasKat
02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Has your Pyr met the other Pyr? That would be a first step.

risestar
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
It depends on the personality but if even one is dominant you are playing with fire. Male female pairings work best

vin63
02-16-2010, 03:49 PM
It really depends on the individual personalities. I would try introducing them on neutral territory, first. Observe the behaviors, not being too quick to separate them if they start to play and want to get to know each other.

Just as an example, we had a male Newfie and our current male Yellow Lab when we were in the process of adopting a Pyr. We first looked into rescuing a female bacause of our current two males, but the two females we introduced to our Newfie and Lab were quite dominant and aggressive toward them. We, on the off-hand, asked to introduce a male that was at the shelter, who ended up being our Sebestian. He was quite laid back and hit it off immediately with our two, and felt comfortable enough to lay down in front of our Newfie. So, sometimes you never know until you do the introductions.

Tracey Stratton
02-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Thank you for the advise, It sounds like we just need to get them together for a play date and take it from there. If anyone else has suggestions or ideas please let me know!

Shaylene
02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree with introducing them and having a play date to see how they react with eachother.
We recently learned the hard way about how male Great Pyrenees can be territorial. Our Male and female had a huge, first litter(11) and out of the group, we fell head over heals in love with one of the males and one of the females. the we have found homes for all but the two we kept and always did supervised play time with the parents(mainly the father). the pups are 4 weeks old now and there have been two situations with the father and male that caused us concern. We assumed it was him just showing that he is the alfa male, but the father has shown aggression. He has not harmed the son. but we don't want to take the chance. I asked breeders I have met in the area and they strongly urged me to find our little P-Bear a home because they told me that unless they grow up together, it is hard to bring in a younger male. I hope it will be different in your case. :)

Jewel
02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Like everyone else suggested, meet at a neutral place, and I would like to add that you might want to consider taking the two of them for a walk first before setting them loose. I mean don't let them meet face to face first, but have the dogs walk side by side to lesses stress of introduction in case one dog does not react well.

The walk serves a couple of purposes. First it releases some of their energy so that they are not full of energy when they meet face on which could lead to overexcitement and which may not be good if that excitement turns into aggression. Secondly, the walk will allow the dogs to be introduced to each other in a non-challenging way and allow each to know each other in a more controlled way.

I assume that your current boy is dog friendly and well socialized? If so, then you'd be more concerned about the new boy's personality and much easier to observe him if you do not have to worry about your own dog's reaction.

Tracey Stratton
02-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Like everyone else suggested, meet at a neutral place, and I would like to add that you might want to consider taking the two of them for a walk first before setting them loose. I mean don't let them meet face to face first, but have the dogs walk side by side to lesses stress of introduction in case one dog does not react well.

The walk serves a couple of purposes. First it releases some of their energy so that they are not full of energy when they meet face on which could lead to overexcitement and which may not be good if that excitement turns into aggression. Secondly, the walk will allow the dogs to be introduced to each other in a non-challenging way and allow each to know each other in a more controlled way.

I assume that your current boy is dog friendly and well socialized? If so, then you'd be more concerned about the new boy's personality and much easier to observe him if you do not have to worry about your own dog's reaction.

He is a very good boy, in fact our Black Lab pushes him around all the time. That is why I find it hard to believe that we would have problems but I like the idea of walking them together first just to make sure. They say the other dog is not dominant but you never know.