PDA

View Full Version : Which Type of Collar for Training?

Cybil
02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
What type of collar for training does everyone on here use/prefer? I've read that choke collars can do long term damage and that regular collars aren't very effective. I have read some good things about using Prong/Pinch collars (only during initial training), but they do look a little aggressive. But as I've said before, I'm new to the breed and I want to get all the training right the first time around.

It is vitally important that the puppy learns to walk on a lead as it will be travelling with me and will be encountering new livestock, dogs, cats, etc., and I can't have it out of control for the safety of other people & animals, so any advice/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

vin63
02-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I've used choke collars for as long as I can remember...keep in mind that it's not necessarily the collar, but the person using it. If used properly, it can be an effective training collar.

Kate53
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I've used choke collars for as long as I can remember...keep in mind that it's not necessarily the collar, but the person using it. If used properly, it can be an effective training collar.

Exactly, Vin. It's the "hand" that makes all the difference when teaching a dog to walk on leash. Pyrs generally will respond very well to positive reinforcement and encouragement. I personally use a Martingale collar exclusively. "Premier" makes the biggest selection and can be purchased online at most pet supply places. Measure your Pyr's neck and add 2 inches....the collar can be adjusted quite a bit to allow for growth and fur.

Jewel
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Since you don't have the pup yet, I would highly recommend that you read up on loose leash training. I think having the pup train to walk loose leash is the best solution overall. Intense socialization of the pup is also vital to train the pup to stay within your control in all environments.

Neither of my dogs is loose leash trained. :rolleyes: So... I've used the choke collar for years but most trainer these days recommend against using it. In recent months I've switched to using the martingale collars only, but on the martingale my dogs don't respond as quickly. I've never used the prong collar.

peg
02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
When I first got Max the woman from rescue told me he had to be on a pinch collar- couldn't be trusted without one. I used one for about 3 weeks and just hated it- I am sure it has a purpose but seemed like overkill to me. I went with a martingale (which my other dog has) and Max has been great with it. Even on the few occasions when he has begun to seriously pull, I can easily keep him under control.

Cybil
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.
I will definitely be trying out the loose leash training.

GNeedham
03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I only use the chain slip collars, or as most people call them "choke chains".
The purpose of the chain is to be able to control and train and NOT to restrain the dog. Its simply a matter of safety for the dog and the handler and anyone else around that could be hurt if your dog gets away from you b/c you didnt want to use a the proper chain.

You can check out the video I have posted on youtube of me walking a Boxer/pitbull mix. This was probably only the 2nd time I actually took him for a walk. I do attention excersizes for a few days prior to taking them for walks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdzPDAKFsc

fluffylove
03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
ah, the everlasting debate. Be VERY careful with chokes, if they are not used properly, you WILL harm your dog. It will also tear at the coat. I use a regular collar, but I do the training outside with my body language, voice and a noise destraction. My dogs even come when called.

A pinch collar will also strip, but it gives you more control, without harming the dog. What it sounds like you need is a training yourself :o)

ps- positive reinforcement did NOT work one bit my two. Disciplin NOT punishment...getting the behavior changed as it happens.

Tsunibear
03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I am with flufflylove here, I use a regular collar and lots of discipline when she is misbehaving. My Shar-Pei is on a choke chain due to his wrinkles he can't wear the regular collars they rub his coat and skin wrong.

pyr haven
03-16-2010, 08:17 PM
same here, i use regular collar. did considered prong. bot choke chain (but used it to throw when they had a thing about chasing goats). these are very clever dogs (lol the size of their brains is same if not bigger than ours), i will actually talk and reason with them like kids, mind u they understand. they are very good on leash, except when they see crabs on beach. btw the LEAVE IT command works really well to curb the dash after cats or birds or squirrels.

GNeedham
03-17-2010, 07:02 AM
i will actually talk and reason with them like kids,

Im sorry but the Dogs Brain is incapable of reasoning like this. I hear this from alot of people..."He knew I was mad at him yesterday so today he did ....so and so....etc." I know we would like to think that dogs are able to but they just dont have the ability.
:o

TexasKat
03-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Maybe not:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090810025241.htm

More: http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2009/08/dogs-think.aspx

and a live blog from the speech:

http://www.fenichel.com/dogthink.shtml

Autumn & Jax
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Personally I like choke chains. Used properly you wont hurt your dog and it works great. If you dont like the idea of a chain you can just use a piece of rope with a loop in it. I use that also, it seems to stay up high on his neck better. They work great. There are choke collars called fursavers that have large links that are easier on the fur. Also there is a rolled leather choker. Try www.rayallen.com. Its a K9 site with lots of great supplies.

DPUS
06-03-2010, 03:29 AM
I guess I am old fashion but I go with building a strong relationship with the dog and then in turn the dog responds. Too often, training tools are used as a crutch for people who don't want to put in the work. All these new fangled collars out there today are meant to train the dog and that means TEMPORARY to me. Save your money and buy the dog a tastey bone. That will build relationships and for sure not deliver pain to the dog.

Lilmamamudd
06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I use the prong for biking and carry it with me when walking, so when she misbehaves the prong replaces the flat, otherwise I use my voice to stop her, or tap her bottom with my foot, if she really gets out of hand i grab her scruff and she sits quickly... I think it depends on the dog and situation, with Emma I find when we first set out she is a bit of a leader, so I jsut keep turning until I frustrate her with my lack of staying in the same direction, so now she keeps checking when we walk, she also knows left and right, I taught her that at 14 weeks old so that when I had the stroller she wouldn't get her toes run over... its easy, just keep turning in the direction and say left right left right as you turn... and for pulling, stop and wlak the other way, I find the slip and choke pull hair, so I use the prong, and flat only... I see alot of others use a gentle leader, but personally I would only use that for blading...

peg
06-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I have been using a martingale and it has worked beautifully. Max has retained his wonderfully furry neck even though he has the collar on all the time. It also lets him feel a slight pull if he is walking too fast (or too slow).

peg
06-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Max with his furry neck and collar under all that soft fur

Belanas_mum
10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
We do a lot of obedience training with Bella Ana, and we use a choke collar on her when she is on her walking leash. ie. she has an extend-a-leash we use for laid back walks, which we fasten to her flat collar. She is free to roam around at will, so long as she doesn't pull on the leash. When she is on her 6ft walking leash, she wears her choker. This is when I expect her to heel and behave like a lady. She is doing so well, I expect to lose the choker altogether soon (she is a little over one year old).

If you do choose to use a choker, please do your research and ensure you are using it correctly. It should never be tight on your dog's neck. Not only can it cause damage to their neck, it doesn't teach them a thing. Basically, the leash should always be loose. If your dog pulls, they get a reasonable yank. Strong enough to get their attention and cause a little discomfort, but certainly not enough to take them off their feet or cause damage. When the leash is loose, the collar will release pressure on the dog's neck. Chokers and various prong-type collars have a bad rap from owners who are using them incorrectly.

All I know is that there's no way I could have taught my dog how to heel without a choker. With our little Bichon, that wasn't as much an issue... but with a great big Pyr... well, she's big enough to take me off my feet. I needed to be able to have her well in check.

Juliets
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM
I tried a flat collar with our boy when he was younger, and did ok until he got bigger. Then he seemed to break every collar I bought! I then tried a choke collar but it was like he had nothing on. He pulled terribly no matter what I tried. I didn't like the idea of using the prong but I was unable to walk him at this point. I gave in and got a prong and now when I put it on him, he is a totally different dog. He is calm, no pulling at all, I barely have to correct him on walks. If I try to go back to the choke collar he acts like a crazy pup (he's 3). I can barely hold onto him with the choke on and he has even almost taken my husband to the ground with it. We even did in home training with him and still using the prong worked best for him.
I wouldn't be comfortable using a prong on a puppy (just my opinion) but I think if you are comfortable with whatever you choose, it will help keep your dog comfortable too. Training your pup from the get go how to walk properly on leash will also help things a lot too. :D

Davey Benson
01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I was told by a moderator on a border collie forum that "it's a well known fact that americans are lazy and don't train their dogs, there is no need for choke collars or prong collars"

So.... there you are.

(if course when I asked this person to site their source for this "fact", then they got all huffy and said they were allowed to have an opinion on an open forum, and if I didn't like it not to let the door hit me in the behind on the way out...) I think I like our moderators a little bit more all the time. :D

now with all that being said... I only use a regular old nylon coller on my two pyrs.... they actually do really well on leash, probably because they were so well leash trained as puppies. I can couple the two together and they do just as well on leash that way as they do independantly.

Topper
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I use the prong type on may malamutes and it does not hurt them or me. But a regular collar my arm out of the socket. :(. Harry don't go on walks for his back side is bad.

Davey Benson
01-21-2011, 04:47 PM
My german shepherd doesn't lunge and jerk, but she keeps a constant pull, and run on the end of her leash. (she wasn't trained to walk on a leash) If I take her out on leash, she looks like one of those toy airplains that flys around in circles on the end of a string.

Jewel
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
My german shepherd doesn't lunge and jerk, but she keeps a constant pull, and run on the end of her leash. (she wasn't trained to walk on a leash) If I take her out on leash, she looks like one of those toy airplains that flys around in circles on the end of a string.

Maybe you ought to have her pull a cart full of her friends, including those two white ones :p

Tsunibear
01-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Maybe you ought to have her pull a cart full of her friends, including those two white ones :p

Oh that would be priceless.

Missy is a odd ball, she walks perfectly on a regular old nylon collar with the boyfriend but, if I am walking her she has to be wearing her choke chain/nylon collar. She likes me more then him and she does listen to me but, when it comes to walking she just doesn't walk the same for me as she does with him. :confused:

Davey Benson
01-22-2011, 07:47 AM
LOL.... the GSD is going to be my million dollar baby.

Spent another couple hundred on her again this week.

She snagged her leg on something when she was out with her friends. Got no idea what, but it gave her a pretty good sized gash in her front leg.

I told them while they had her under to stitch up her leg, go ahead and spay her at the same time. So the two combined she has a dozen stitches right now. Ya....... she's going to be an indoor dog for a while.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm pouring money into a rat hole whith her. Makes my pyrs seem really low maintance. :rolleyes:

Tsunibear
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
LOL.... the GSD is going to be my million dollar baby.

Spent another couple hundred on her again this week.

She snagged her leg on something when she was out with her friends. Got no idea what, but it gave her a pretty good sized gash in her front leg.

I told them while they had her under to stitch up her leg, go ahead and spay her at the same time. So the two combined she has a dozen stitches right now. Ya....... she's going to be an indoor dog for a while.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm pouring money into a rat hole whith her. Makes my pyrs seem really low maintance. :rolleyes:

I feel you there.

With Monty's cancer and his neuter he has over 17 stitches. I quit counting at 17 so I know there are more. On top of it he is the only dog I have met so far that didn't get them removed at 2 weeks. He will be going on 4 weeks with the stitches in Monday. Hopefully he gets them removed on Monday because he has totally destroyed his inflatable e-collar. They weren't made to be worn everyday for a month I guess. :rolleyes:

Missy is so low maintenance compared to him.