PDA

View Full Version : I Know Your Stubborn, Now Get In The Car!

lovely mornings
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I need to take boomer to be microchipped, well check, shots,ect....

When I took him in to be checked for a microchip my husband took the day off work and helped me get him into the car by picking him up and forcing him.
He whimpered the whole time like a baby and I was extremely grateful they were able to come out to the car with the scanner.

How do you get a stubborn 100 plus lb. dog in the car who does not want to go.... when you cant lift him. Just me and my daughter.

Patricia

TexasKat
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
When a very ill (now gone to heaven) Pyx mix had to go to the vet (he never got in a car voluntarily) we set up an impromptu 'ramp' with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood braced underneath with some pieces of 2 x 4. One person holding his leash the other 'hovering' to make sure he didn't fall. The plywood just happened to be the 'right length" to make a gentle slope to the door.

Other lumber may work but you'd have lash it together somehow to make sure it didn't come apart in the middle of getting him in the car. Test it for sturdiness before you ask your pup to walk up it.

It worked for us at the time, but (of course) your mileage may vary.

Terry
02-08-2010, 02:41 PM
maybe something like this...

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/loon20009/t_16552.jpg

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/files/master/t_16552.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/pwr/product-reviews/Dog-Steps/p/16552-Pet-Loader-Steps.html&usg=__U38XfXsxT2r4OYWU6GReTxrHx8U=&h=418&w=500&sz=38&hl=en&start=40&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=dzKfmyeDuS53BM:&tbnh=109&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dportable%2Bsteps%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1R2ADBR_en%26sa%3DN%26start %3D36%26um%3D1

TexasKat
02-08-2010, 02:53 PM
ooooh, I want one of those!

Davey Benson
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
ohhh..... I need one of those for my friends 4X4. :)

How I load up mine is I go over to the drivers door, open it up and say "get in" and she climbs right in. :cool:

nick's spirit
02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Love that ramp...but how heavy is it??? As heavy as a Pyr butt???
I know this is silly, but I have always tried to have a vehicle that my dogs can just about "walk" into. But sometimes we have to take my husbands Toyota truck, and it is hard for Holly to jump in (which I don't encourage) so she just puts her front paws up and I get to lift the "fluffy white butt" the rest of the way! She happily jumps out, so that's no problem. I have tried a ramp before, and that takes some training too, and it's not all that convienient or light weight, since it seems the heavier the dog the heavier the ramp!

Jewel
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Patricia, if you have a sedan, I would open both back doors and lure him in with treats. If he just puts one paw into the car, it is a victory that you build on. Do this repeatedly until he's willing to step into the car. Once he's willing to step in, take him on short rides, maybe to get a burger or something like that he can have a bite of. Then he'll be able to associate cars with good stuff.

I have a SUV myself, and the backseat in the SUV is always folded because we bought that SUV just so we can carry the dogs. My dogs access the SUV through the back passenger door though, where they can step in rather than jump. I don't let them jump from the tailgate, it is pretty high. When my Fifi was sick with cancer, we got her a ramp so she didn't have to step off anything. The ramp is fairly heavy though and not exactly a snap to use.

The steps posted by Terry is supposed to be 18 lbs. That probably a bit less than my ramp, but it's not feather light either.

vin63
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
That fold out ramp is very cool! I wonder if there is a similar one for side doors? I am going to try a ramp soon now that Sebastian and I am getting older. :p I usually pick up Sebastian and Henry and put them in the back seat of the truck...Isabella is so excited to go for rides, she jumps in no problem.

Terry
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
this one i see comes smaller and only weighs 9lbs.

http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-products/paw-bridge-dog-ramps.html

Milu
02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
That one looks a bit flimsier though- I'm not entirely sure it would hold a grown pyr in the 125s range.

lovely mornings
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Now I like the idea of the ramp for training the new puppy coming....
Lassie runs to the car as soon as she sees a leash..... she loves going bye bye.

But boomer.... If he thinks your intent is luring him into the car he gets as far away from the car as possible.

He does meet my car at the gate though coming in or out, I give him a cookie for standing still and not trying to leave while the car pulls out.

Through pure trickery.....,

We have a 12 passenger van, that we took the seats out of to get him into when my husband took the day off...
But during the week, unless my husband takes a day off I have a volvo sedan.

I am going to buy the stairs for the baby coming, as he can be trained to use it

Milu
02-08-2010, 07:29 PM
It might take a trial of peanut butter and treats to get him going, but once he decides it's worth it- I hope it'll be easier!

Tsunibear
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I have a really nice ramp that a customer of mine no longer needed because he dog passed away. She said "Honey you have a large dog, good luck always picking her up and loading her into the car." When she offered the ramp I told her I didn't need it cause I can just pick Missy up, that was 4 months ago I can still pick her up but it isn't easy anymore.

Terry
02-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Murphy has been growing up with me and vehicles. first with the 4 wheeler and the milk crate,and now mostly the truck as he is way too big for the bike
but he still manages to mooch the odd ride with his front feet on the handlebars and his back legs over the seat between my legs,people who see us must get a chuckle. will try and remember to get a pic of that :rolleyes:
what we do now is i will open the door of the truck and (if) he takes a little run at it he can get up no problem.
but 99% of the time he walks up and puts his front feet on the seat and waits for me to lift his butt in :o
here we are last weekend pulling wood out of the swamp up the road...

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/loon20009/DSC05395.jpg

i dont need to purchase one of those ramps or stairs YET. but will see in another 6 months!!! :o

Terry

Kate53
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Love that ramp...but how heavy is it??? As heavy as a Pyr butt???
I know this is silly, but I have always tried to have a vehicle that my dogs can just about "walk" into. But sometimes we have to take my husbands Toyota truck, and it is hard for Holly to jump in (which I don't encourage) so she just puts her front paws up and I get to lift the "fluffy white butt" the rest of the way! She happily jumps out, so that's no problem. I have tried a ramp before, and that takes some training too, and it's not all that convienient or light weight, since it seems the heavier the dog the heavier the ramp!

Been there, done that! Now that I have my husbands full sized Ford truck with a super crew cab, I just open the back passenger door and she jumps right into the back seat. I have the longer seat folded up so she can sit/stand on the floor and look out the rear windows.

Kate53
02-09-2010, 07:56 AM
This is the ramp I have. It telescopes and has a non-skid surface. Not too heavy yet heavy duty. Definitely will hold a GP. Unfortunately, Queenie never bothered with it and now gets into the truck by herself. I suppose she will need it in good time though.