PDA

View Full Version : Titan is home

buzymomibe
02-06-2010, 09:15 AM
We had our first night with Titan. He is so cute. He is doing great only 1 accident on the floor. And it was when he was very excited. Last night he did ok in the crate, but woke up about every 2.5 -3 hours so we took him outside, half of the time he would potty the other half he wanted to play, which we had to say, no bedtime and returned him to the crate. The only thing I have noticed is that when he sleeps he seems to breath rather fast. Faster then when he is jusy laying on our lap or playing with toys. Is this normal?
He isn't a big eater, we fed him 1 cup last night, which he ate maybe half, and then I fed him a cup this morning which he ate maybe half of again and then walked away. The people we got him from did say that he wasn't big on the eatting at one time he was much more of a grazer. So should I allow him to free feed? The problem I see with this is the other dog and the cats getting the food and eatting it.
He is not sure of the cats, he tries to play with then, but then barks and scares them away,lol. The cats are not sure of him yet, and pretty much just look at him like what are you.

I will try to figuar out how to post pictures and post a few later.

nick's spirit
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Titan sounds like a "Great" boy already!!
If I remember correctly, they do breath a bit faster when they are in a deep sleep, and playing and getting to know a new house & people & routine are a lot of work for a little guy.
If you can, why don't you try feeding him 3 or 4 times a day...it looks like you are a busy mom, but with children around, maybe they can help with the food schedule. With other pets it is hard to free feed because you don't know who is getting the nutrition.
Good that he is okay with his crate, it can be a great training tool
Enjoy your boy!!

mom2two06
02-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Both of mine used to do that fast breathing when they slept... must be a puppy thing? Scared me half to death, I used to think there was something wrong with them. :)

One of my cats seems to think he is a dog.. he goes out with them, eats from their bowl, drinks from their water. Too bad they just seem to want to chew on his head. ;) Here is a pic of the three of them:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/mom2two06/butters.jpg

buzymomibe
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
He seems to be adjusting well and is doing better with eatting. I am feeding him 4 meals a day of just a little over a cup at each feeding. He finally ate the whole serving this morning for the first time.
We have had a few accidents, but for the most part he is doing well. We don't want to leave him out in the yard alone yet, so he goes out everytime he wakes up, 30 minutes after he eats, and whenever he scratches at the door, or whines in his crate at night. although sometimes the lil guy throws me off and right after he pees and poops outside we come in and he will then pee on the floor. :o But all and all he is doing very well.
He sleeps pretty well in the crate, he wakes up about every 3 hours whining and we take him outside then put him back in the crate. And he will whine for a few minutes then go back to sleep for about 3 hours. We have never crate trained, so I am hoping I am doing this right.

Theresa

DPW
02-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Once again I'll start with the disclaimer of I'm no expert but......
Of course every dog is different but my dog at 17 months is only getting 4 cups of kibble a day. The winters in Oregon tend to be a bit wet :rolleyes: so the goats don't go out as much. As a result Cider is not getting the exercise he gets in summer.
I could probably cut his intake to 3 cups a day as I have allowed him to put on a couple of extra pounds for the winter months as he lives in a barn and I wanted him to have a little extra insulation. The barn is old and is a bit drafty to say the least.
Just make sure you do not overfeed him. Slow growing large dogs will have fewer health problems throughout their life if kept on the lean side. You should be able to feel his ribs without too much pressure. Same with hip bones.

buzymomibe
02-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I just followed the directions on the side of the large breed puppy food bag (Eukanuba) that said for a 20lbs puppy at 8 weeks he should be getting 4 1/4-4 3/4 cups of food divided over 3 or 4 meals a day. He weights 22 lbs and you can easily feel his ribs.
So I don't think he is getting too much. Some times he eats all of it, and other times he leaves some. So he seems to be pretty good about only taking what he wants/needs. Our Pit Bull would eat to the point she would make herself sick, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with Titan.
He hasn't shown any signs of food aggression, the kids put their hands in his bowl, we have taken it away from him mid meal and then given it back, he has to sit and wait to be giving permission to start to eat (he doesn't get it fully, but he is learning quickly) and when the cats go over to eat his food he walks away and lets them have some. So that also doesn't seem to be an issue for him.
time to take him out to potty he just finished eatting.
Thanks for all the answers to questions.

Theresa