PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!!

toyotaholland
02-04-2010, 07:23 AM
hey,
Today Angel didn't eat the rest of her food. So I gave it to Rami outside. She came near his bolw and started growling and bit Rami. It was my fault for doing that but now my wife is kinda bothered that she will do something to our kids or even her. I have tried to scold her when she even acts like she is going to do something. I feed Angel and she's not aggressive with me just other animals. My wife thinks that the behavior will get worse and that it is bad gene or something in that breed of dog. We have watched a lot of animal cops and stuff and that's one bad behavior that could be dangerous....Any ideas?

Kate53
02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
My opinion (and mind you, this is just an opinion!) is that your wife has over reacted to the situation. You will find that a few of the posters on here also have Pyrs that are food aggressive but I personally don't find it an unusual thing if it is between dogs. If shown to the human/owner/leader then I would have concerns. I always corrected the behavior immediately when my female Shephard did it with my male Shephard and it didn't happen that often. However, neither of my dogs would have ever shown aggression towards me....just each other. That is the natural order of the pack and as long as your Pyr has not shown aggression to the pack leaders, I would think it was just a status manuever.

vin63
02-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Addressing food aggression requires ongoing, consistent training. Our Sebastian was very food aggressive and protective of his bowl and food, whether he finished his food, or not, when we first brought him home. Every meal, we would make him sit, stand over him while he ate, picked up his bowl at different intervals correcting his aggressive behavior. When he submitted, we put the bowl back down for him to eat. While we don't have to do that as much anymore, we still do it from time to time. Any type of aggression toward any member of our household is not tolerated.

DPW
02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I am no expert but I agree with Kate.
Fights over food are not uncommon. Be it canines, felines, fish or fowl. Wild or domestic. Even humans. Ever seen relief supplies being airlifted into an area after a disaster? It can get pretty ugly.
I don't believe it to be a bad gene or breed characteristic as your wife suspects.
I wouldn't completely ignore it either. You don't want it to become a habit. And you probably don't want to feed one dog out of anothers bowl in the future. At least with the other dog watching.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule but I suspect that most negative behaviors exhibited by our dogs stem from lack of proper training when young. But as I said I am no expert. Simply my opinion. But I wouldn't lay awake nights worrying about it.

Jewel
02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Forgive me for asking, how much experience have you had with large dogs? Food aggression issues can elevate from just the other dog to humans if not handled properly. To correct the behavior, as Vin said, requires long term training and management. In order to do that, your ENTIRE family needs to be involved. It is far from enough that Angel is not aggressive towards you. Your wife has valid concerns respecting the children. If your wife is unsure about Angel, it would certainly not help the situation.

I would urge you to immediately seek help from a professional, even if it's just one consultation, so you get a understanding of the situation. As you must have seen on the animal cops episodes, food aggressive dogs are put down by the organizations because they can't risk placing a dog with aggressive tendencies in homes. Seek help now, please don't let Angel have the opportunity to elevant this behavior.

Kate53
02-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Vin, I agree that no aggression in a household should be tolerated. I also believe corrections should be made immediately upon signs of "posturing" or imminent assault. I think I was just trying to point out that food aggression between dogs is not an unnatural event and that it doesn't always mean a dog is dangerous. I hope I did not come across in my last post as someone who would tolerate a dog's assertiveness in any situation. It was not my intention. :(

vin63
02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Vin, I agree that no aggression in a household should be tolerated. I also believe corrections should be made immediately upon signs of "posturing" or imminent assault. I think I was just trying to point out that food aggression between dogs is not an unnatural event and that it doesn't always mean a dog is dangerous. I hope I did not come across in my last post as someone who would tolerate a dog's assertiveness in any situation. It was not my intention. :(

No, not at all. It's like I mentioned before in another post, our dogs are too big and strong to take these behaviors lightly (not that aggression from any sized dog should be tolerated). Today, as with all of our previous dogs, they all eat in the same room (kitchen) next to each other. We've had up to 8 dogs eating that way in our house, and we have rescued horribly food aggressive dogs in the past. From my experience, canine companions function better when they know and understand their place in the household.

lovely mornings
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
My new boy has shown immediate dominance over my little sheltie.
I am feeding them separately because although he likes her and plays with her, he growls and hops a step to make her run from his personal bowl and blanket area.. They are his.
I thought this natural for him as he was starving before and someone gave him a personal blanket with his bowls of food just for him and a bone just for him.

Should I do something to make them eat together.

I am posting because this morning I made him some eggs with red potatoes sauted in olive oil with kelp seasoning...

He was eating it in the house, lassie was outside. My smallest housecat walked over and shared his bowl. He licked him then went about eating as if he were happy to share with the kitty.

How is the kitty different than lassie?

toyotaholland
02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I can hand feed Angel and she want do anything aggressive torwards me. What I started doing instead of feeding one inside and the other outside I brought Angel in to her crate/pin and then brought Rami in. I set there bowls close by to each other to try and show her they both can eat together and not get into it with one another. I thought about letting my 5 yr old help me feed today. Im going to let her hand feed one with supervision of course. I know for a fact Rami will not do anything to her. So we will see.

Milu
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
For some reason, pyrs in particular are greatly curious about cats. Pyrs who've been socialized well with them are very gentle and loving towards them. I think my favorite story and example would be the time Ragingbull took George to work, and that 180 pound hunk of fluffy pyr made a kitty friend, and she massaged his back. I think the pyr's independent nature and relatively low prey drive give them the ability to interact with them in a peaceful manner. Short answer: the cat is a cat and Boomer recognized that and didn't feel like he had to contend with the feline for food.

Wooftron2000
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
We were at a friend's house, and the only place to put dog bowls in the kitchen was next to the cat bowl. Our Pyrenees has to sit and stay before he gets his food, so he did so. When we put the food in the bowl, the cat came to investigate, and started sniffing at the food, not quite eating it yet. We tried unsuccessfully to get the cat away, but in the end, I just said 'free' to let our dog get his food.

He stood up very calmly, and let out a single loud woof. The cat disappeared and hid underneath the table. I thought that was remarkably restrained and well behaved -- in particular I was proud of him for not doing anything until he was released.

pyr haven
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
i've got 3 cats and the pyrs behave differently wit each one. 1 pyr ignores the cats (but she will sniff the cats' backsides verociously if the cat's looking the other way). the other pyr loves 1 cat (licks her, she can walk all over him) and totally dislikes the male cat who's more arrogant and independent. So he will even chase the cat outta the kitchen where he knows his food bowls or pans are (i do homecooked meals for the dogs) and just b4 mealtimes.

dsloveswva
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
i have four cats and my pyr, joy, 20 months. i have ongoing issues with food agression with her that i did not address properly when it first reared it's ugly head. but we have made progress; i can give treats to the cats right next to her, and she politely waits for hers. one cat likes her, the young one that grew up with her, and he even walks over to her food bowl when she eats (he seems clueless). she will stop and put her huge paw on him, but not hurt him. the other three older cats don't like her too much and she will chase them away ferociously but not hurt them. and she occasionally enjoys chasing them, but has never hurt them. she seems to know how far she can go.

toyotaholland
02-07-2010, 07:33 AM
so how do you overcome this process.

dsloveswva
02-08-2010, 05:30 AM
do you mean the food agression/guarding behavior process, toyotaholland?
if so, there areso many ways these folks have navigated the problem with their pyrs. try going back and reading through some of the posts.

toyotaholland
02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
yes food aggression gaurding food...not with me or my daughter.