PDA

View Full Version : Growling pyrenees

toyotaholland
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
From what I have read Pyrenees are not aggressive and really do not go around growling at their owners. I had him enclosed in our bath room but had it blocked off. He could see us and was only like 4 feet away but he wanted to get out and started growling a little bit. My wife is concerned that it is bad in his breed

Jewel
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
What do you mean by growling? Dogs vocalize in many different situations. Sometimes they grumble, which can sound similar to growling but it's not a show of aggression at all. It sounds kind of unusual if he is actually growling at you as he's behind an enclosure and you are not in his face. Growling is usually used when the dog is threatening someone in his space, or too close to his space, and usually in an attempt make the person/thing to go away.

How a dog behaves mostly depends on whether he's been properly socialized and trained. It is less the dog's breeding than how the dog is handled.

toyotaholland
01-18-2010, 08:18 AM
he's not being aggressive i guess. I am still trying to socialize him, he just wanted to be near us i guess. trying to get our attention. He was in our house.

Kate53
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
From what I have read Pyrenees are not aggressive and really do not go around growling at their owners. I had him enclosed in our bath room but had it blocked off. He could see us and was only like 4 feet away but he wanted to get out and started growling a little bit. My wife is concerned that it is bad in his breed

I'm not sure what the reasoning might be with your Pyr being confined to another area while you are at home.....but I can tell you that segregating a dog who was meant to be with it's "flock" is going to probably cause you some serious issues down the road. I would like to respectfully suggest you reconsider keeping him enclosed in a bathroom. These dogs do not take well to being confined or being alone. There is some very informative info on the web about handling a GP.

(I meant to add that this vocalization you were hearing may not have been a "growl" but more of a communication to get your attention....my German Shephards used this method to get my attention a lot. Maybe your Pyr was telling you he wanted to be in the same room with you, not confined to the bathroom?)