PDA

View Full Version : car rides

iitstorriffick
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
my great pyr pup absolutly hates car rides. ive been trying to get him to get into the car willingly but whenever he sees the door open he runs in the other direction. ive had to pick him up and put him in the car. then of course i give him a treat as soon as hes in. but it wont be too much longer untill i wont be able to lift him. any advie? thanks =]

Milu
01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I think this topic has been brought up before-
I'd try just sitting in the car with him when the engine is off for 10 minute increments when you're not actually going in there. I scattered treats all over where he sat so that he explored the area. And later, start turning on the engine, short trips around the block, building up the time he feels comfortable.
On the first ride home, my pup was scared sh*tless. Literally. He threw up once too and spent the first week worth of car rides with his head under the back of my seat. But now he loves car rides, he can't wait to get in and look out the window because he knows we're going somewhere exciting.
We have a truck- so the pup has a hard time getting in which was the biggest issue. At 4.5 months and 57 pounds, he still can't jump up into the cab by himself. I have him put his paws on the edge and say '1, 2, 3 PUSH!' and give him the boost at 'push'. I did it consistently enough where he knew the boost was coming at that word.
Another thing you might want to try is to have him on a leash, then just go and sit at the far end of the back seat with the door open, then line the seat with treats, and wait it out until he's tantalized by the food and tries to climb in. I find that a lot of animals are more willing to do things once they have done it once of their own accord.

iitstorriffick
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM
okay ill give that a try.
once Cornelius gets into the car hes perfectly fine. its jus tthe initial getting in that he doesnt like. and if were not home he will get into the car. like when i go on a trip up to new york we stop at a rest area and he goes out does his business and jumps right back into the car. well. i haev a jeep so i have to give him a boost but none the less hes ready to get back into the car. im thinking its just because he doesnt like leaving the house?

Jewel
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I'd say, practice, practice, practice! Get him in the car, get him out of the car, repeat. Once he's willing to get in and out, go for lots of short drives. He just needs to learn car rides are part of life. Have fun!

vin63
01-09-2010, 06:13 AM
What were the destinations the last car rides and what was traffic like (a lot of stop and go driving)?

Treats are good to help them get into the vehicle, but you should also think about the actual car ride and destination. When our dogs were younger, we would alternate the car rides with trips to the park and other destinations that they liked - then every third trip, or so, would be to the vet. Just something else to consider.

iitstorriffick
05-25-2010, 07:48 AM
so its been a few more months. still not much better. he wont run away anymore. hell stand next to me but wont get in the car. most of the trips have been to the beach about an hour away he love it there, between wading in the water and chasing leaves across the beach. still sketchy about the initial get in the car.

Davey Benson
05-25-2010, 09:43 AM
So far, it's been my observation that Great Pyrenees don't take to car rides like other breeds, ie. labs, shepherds, collies. My two will do the car ride thing, but they don't act like it's something they love they act like it's something they will tollerate, as a means to an end. So, for the most part they just stay home except for the occassional vet visit. It's my border who gets the privlage of rides. :cool:

lguffey
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
When our great pyr was a puppy he hated the car as well. I noticed from the very beginning that he got car sick. He would always drool heavily and sometimes vomit. He would even do this riding on the back of the truck around the farm. He finally just grew out of it, although he does seem to drool a little more while riding even still.

DPUS
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
For Peaches, an adult female foster that I have about one and half months, in the beginning I would always have to carry her into the car, into the house, into the cage....Pyr strategy is to play opposum and go limp.

Eventually she got it and after 4 weeks she nicely goes into the house and amazingly has learned my Leaving Routine and knows when she needs to go in her cage.

She nicely goes into the car, actually loves a car ride and does circles of excitement if I just glance at the garage's service door. Peaches excessively drools in the car and throws up but she LOVES a car ride.

Davey Benson
05-25-2010, 12:50 PM
...Pyr strategy is to play opposum and go limp...

LOL.... been there done that. It's called passive resistance, and Great Pyrenees love to use that trick. :p Just this morning my Sissy Girl decided she wanted to stay indoors after our walk down the road to see yet another neighbors new house being crained into place. (yes my place way out in the country is rapidly becoming the middle of town) So I said "it's time to go outside Sissy", and she just laid on her bed and looked at me. I walked over too her and I pointed at the open door and said "go outside sissy." And she rolls over on her back, and looks at me. :rolleyes:

ashcards
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Oh davey, that sounds just like stump too. haha. if he doesnt want to move he will just lay there and look at me like he's a perfect angel. He likes to go limp and not move all three of the other driveways on my street before getting home. He wears a harness so it is sometimes easy to just pull him up but he fights it. :)

Davey Benson
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
LOL.... yep!

I farm for a living, so I'm used to slinging around bales of hay, sacks of feed, baby calves, so when the pyrs pull that stunt I say "Okey" and just pick them up and carry them. It's probaby the wrong thing to do, but sometimes I find it just easier to live with them than to try to train them (or more like have a battle of wits with them). :D

"Ok, time to go for a ride guys...." Then proceed to pick them up and put them in the truck. I swear they are laughing at me the whole time. They don't struggle, they don't run off, they just go limp. It's almost like they are saying... "hmm... it requires so much effort to get into the truck, I think I will just lay here and let the old man do all the work." And hence pretty much the only rides they get any more is to the vet clinic. :cool:

Topper
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Topper would always get in the car but then we got a four door suv and for the life of me he would fight to get into it. Then one day because it was warm out side it didn't turn it on guess what he went right in. I found out he didn't like the sound of the new SUV.
Now you take my Harry. He has a bad back and back left leg. He first would at least put he first feet into the car. Well now make us put him in:p. Some time his hind end work ok. When it doesn't we help him up the stair. Well being a
pyreness he just stand there waiting for the help up the stair.)He know we will do it.)
Last week we were at the vet. He stop just before going into the door. The reason why is because there was one step to go up.:rolleyes: When a pyreness don't what to go they have good power in the first to stop you.
With Harry problems he has I asked the vet if there is any reason why he shouldn't climb the step. He said no maybe on the bad day.
So the whole thing you start something these guy are pretty smart. You will be trained.:D

iitstorriffick
09-05-2010, 08:56 AM
well i found out what the issue was...
i have a jeep liberty. one day when we were getting ready to go on a road trip to visit my aunt and uncle i was loading up all my suitcases and he jumed right in the far back. i put down the back seats and turns out all he wanted was a little more room. he didnt like getting in the back seats cause they were too cramped.... haha i guess i should have thought that from the beginning.

nick's spirit
09-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Some times I wish they could just say what they need!!
Glad he enjoys his roomier vehicle now!

iitstorriffick
09-09-2010, 08:39 AM
thanks =]
were heading to charlotte to visit some family tomorrow so maybe i can get a good picture of him hanging out in his new roomier car.

jellybiehn
09-09-2010, 09:45 AM
lol, its a good thing hank isnt picky...I drive a mini and my boyfriend has a wave! He absolutely loves car rides though. No one believes us but since they are both hatchbacks they are quite roomy when the seats are down. We were a little worried about his first trip to a friends cottage with all the packing and hank and us fitting but it was great, just takes a little creative packing. We just made sure to take him to a lot of fun places in the car when he was getting used to it (he even loves going to the vets!) but we had a 1 1/2 hr ride home from the breeders and right from the start he had no problem in the car, guess we are just lucky.

K.Greenhaw
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Duke hated car rides at first. He vomited in my lap on the way home from picking him up. For a while he would cry as if we left him in his crate. He got a lot better with time, and he figured out that wherever we went he got a ton of attention. We would always take him to ballgames or take our son to school with Duke in the car. He now loves to ride and jumps in the car by himself. He will sit in the seat and watch all of the cars and people as we go by.

schizophrenne
09-21-2010, 05:58 AM
I started looking around the forum because my Pyr hates the car too! He only has a 5 minute ride to and from dog day care M-F. But now it's to the point where he totally slinks away from me if we're on a walk and I go anywhere near a car. It's crazy. So to get him in, I have to give his leash a good tug and he goes in without too much of a fight. Once we're driving, he's fine- he just lays down and occasionally looks out the window. I would give him treats, but on longer rides he tends to drool a lot and sometimes barf. He's about five months now, so hopefully he'll grow out of it?

pyr haven
09-21-2010, 06:24 AM
mud used to throw up barely 5 mins in the car when he was 4/5 mths, he grew out of it

Tsunibear
09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
They do grow out it sometimes. Some of them don't like particular cars and others can feel the static from the car. I have heard of someone on here putting a leather belt under her car to help with that issue.