PDA

View Full Version : Help

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
My Great Pyranees is 8 months old and does not sleep through the night, it seems he is having nightmares wakes up and starts running around the house, he is not alone during the day because my husband is home and he also has the company of a shepherd mix. I have taken him to the vet and nothing is wrong with him. I am loosing sleep and its killing me since I have to go to work, does anybody have any ideas on why he won't sleep through the night. Any help is appeciated.

Jan

pyr haven
12-01-2009, 09:49 AM
just wondering has his lifestyle/sleeping place been disrupted or changed lately? pups thrive on routine like babies. is he getting his regular secure comfy sleeping place? how does he get along with ur finches? new addition to household?

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
just wondering has his lifestyle/sleeping place been disrupted or changed lately? pups thrive on routine like babies. is he getting his regular secure comfy sleeping place? how does he get along with ur finches? new addition to household?

Nothing has changed, he sleeps in the same place everynight. He just looks at the finches, he loves the rabbit and when I go to feed him he licks him, now he does not get along with my other dog Mandy shes a shepherd mix, but we have had her for 14 years, before that we had a St. Bernard for 11 years before he died in April. He trys to dominate Mandy, by pushing her out of the way with his body. And they have gotten into fights.

Could he be teething?

pyr haven
12-01-2009, 10:20 AM
hope someone can pitch in. i doubt teething prob. i may be wrong but it cud be dominance issue wit ur other dog. 8/9 mths old seems to be a milestone. something must be unsettling him. animals have peculiar habits at night tat why i ask about the finches. Is there anything else? rat or roaches? termites?

btw can anyone help answer! i just noticed my "title". wat is a road dawg?? Is tat some kind of a promotion from new member. i just got tagged - pigeon-holed? :)

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 10:29 AM
No Rats or Roaches he sleeps by the side of my bed and the other dog sleeps on the couch.

I have noticed that when he does wake up he has too poop, I open feed my dogs there is always food in the bowl, maybe that could be the problem.
I thought as a puppy they should eat as much as they want since hes a growing boy and has to be around 80 pounds now. I did that with the saint and never had a problem with him being overweight, I also walk the dogs daily, and during the day he has free run of the yard, the funny thing is he only shows agression towards my other dog when I am home, my husband told me when I am gone they are good as gold.

Hell maybe I am the problem. lol

Jewel
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi there, how much exericse does your boy get a day? 8 to 10 months is when pups start to develop all sorts of behavior issues - this is when they enter the rebellious teenage period and they are physically powerful enough to do lots of damage if not managed. When you say he's running around the house, is he doing it in a panic or is he just running around looking for fun things to do? Pyrs are nocturnal, that's when they are supposed to be "on the job", so it is really not unusual for a pyr to be up and about during the night.

If he's just up and about because his instincts are telling him to do so, you might want to consider upping his exercise to get him more tired. Or perhaps letting him have no access to food in the evenings might help too. Now, teething could be a possibility because their back molars come in later than the front canines.

pyr haven
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
funny bedmates? or maybe he just objects to ur snoring? :D

it's baffling, not sure if scheduled feeding will help. Mine gets fed 3 x a day at almost the same time, excercsie in the evening and it works like magic. Antsy like? regular toilet breaks?

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Pyr Haven

funny bedmates? or maybe he just objects to ur snoring?

it's baffling, not sure if scheduled feeding will help. Mine gets fed 3 x a day at almost the same time, excercsie in the evening and it works like magic. Antsy like? regular toilet breaks?

I don't think I snore. :D I exercise him daily about a mile or 2 walk. I let him out before I go to bed which is usually around 10, and he lays down and bam hes up at 1 or 3, last night I woke because I knew he was having a dream because he was running and like crying. So I got up and started to rub his head and bam he jumped up and now I have a bump on my head. It's killing me because I have to get up at 5:15.

Jewel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there, how much exericse does your boy get a day? 8 to 10 months is when pups start to develop all sorts of behavior issues - this is when they enter the rebellious teenage period and they are physically powerful enough to do lots of damage if not managed. When you say he's running around the house, is he doing it in a panic or is he just running around looking for fun things to do? Pyrs are nocturnal, that's when they are supposed to be "on the job", so it is really not unusual for a pyr to be up and about during the night.

If he's just up and about because his instincts are telling him to do so, you might want to consider upping his exercise to get him more tired. Or perhaps letting him have no access to food in the evenings might help too. Now, teething could be a possibility because their back molars come in later than the front canines.

Hi Jewel he doesn't run around in a panic its more like hes looking for fun, I think he gets enough exercise, I walk him daily for around 40 minutes. After his 15 minute too 30 minute excursion in the middle of the night he goes back to sleep and I lay there wishing I could sleep. Its weird I have never had this with a dog. I am going to try the no access to food, and see if that works.
Right now I will try just about anything.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Topper
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I never really thought about it but my topper did the same thing. I just found my shelf sleeping on the couch. Would let him out side and let him do his thing. Sometime it took 10min. and sometime couple hours. He would knock on the front door when he was ready. Topper never dreams he just wanted outside. So he could do his guarding thing. (I guess because most of the time he would just go out side and lay down.) That all started about 8 months. It just been in the past month he has been sleeping all night and the alarm clock wake us up at 6AM

Milu
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Do you have a night light in the bedroom or sleep with the lights completely off? I've been having a problem with my dog getting really antsy and panicky at night. However, I crate him at night so he doesn't tear through the house, but he whines and whines to be let out. But when he goes outside, he goes sprinting around the backyard like the world is going to end. He was panicky to the point where he uh... had a lot of bad gas. I couldn't figure out why he was so gassy at night but never during the day. I actually thought it was the food. Then I thought about it, I get panic attacks a lot and when I do- I get really fidgety, don't sleep well and my tummy hurts like heck- just like the dog! (And similarly, I used to get up and clean the entire house when I was anxious at night so that I would tire out and eventually fall to sleep-I guess that's the human version of running around the house in panic.) So 3 nights ago, I had an idea-perhaps it was the actual darkness that was making him so anxious. I tried leaving a lamp on the ground, pointed just at his crate and it worked like magic. He still doesn't sleep continuously, but he lays there quietly and there's no crying or farting. Hope you can pinpoint what is making him so uncomfortable!

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Topper

I never really thought about it but my topper did the same thing. I just found my shelf sleeping on the couch. Would let him out side and let him do his thing. Sometime it took 10min. and sometime couple hours. He would knock on the front door when he was ready. Topper never dreams he just wanted outside. So he could do his guarding thing. (I guess because most of the time he would just go out side and lay down.) That all started about 8 months. It just been in the past month he has been sleeping all night and the alarm clock wake us up at 6AM

Thats were I am sleeping on the couch, the only problem is if I let him out he starts barking, which isn't a good thing because my neighbors are not that far away. Theres nothing like chasing a Great Pyranees at 3 A.M. in your nigt gown. Especially if its raining or snowing. :D

Jewel
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
AH HA! I think the problem is with Jan not her pyr boy :D Since your boy can go back to sleep no problem, and you're the one who can't, it seems to be obvious that this is a personal issue :p

My first pyr used to walk around the house in the middle of the night, as if patrolling all around the house. Because we have hardwood, I could hear her moving about almost every night. She grew out of that habit though after a while as if she knew there was really no point patrolling. My currently 1 1/2 yr-old pup stays up half the night almost every night scratching and itching. She's confined in our bedroom at night because she can't be trusted with full run of the house. I think a lot of her scratching and itching has to do with her being awake at night and having nothing else to do and not so much that she really has itchies. She also walks around our bed from one side to the other to look at my husband and me to see if we're awake. She'll put her nose right in front of mine, about 1/2 inch away, and just sniff and stare to see if my eyes would open. She's usually awake around 3 or 4 a.m. If she gets no response from us, or if I tell her to "go lay down", she'll eventually lay back down for another hour or so, and then she starts all over again around 5 a.m. until the alarm goes off at about 5:50.

The good news is I think this may be a phase and your boy will grow out of it. The bad news is I am not sure how long the phase will be... :p

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
It probably is me I am going to try the night lite and sees what happens, what ever it is I hope he grows out of it soon.

Heres his picture at 3 months

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL275/9662551/17557702/367732207.jpg

Topper
12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
That is the bad part in living in town. I am lucky I live in town but kind of don't. We have 5 acres. Topper somewhat barks. He just lays there's and watches things. The other thing we have done is we turned on a radio in the living room and bedroom for noise. It took us awhile to get use to hearing it but it did help a lot also. I also agree they out grow it. We don't have to have the radio on anymore either. I know I didn't get a lot of sleep either. Good luck.

Black Angel
12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I will have to try the radio, I know he likes to watch TV especially if he hears dogs barking.

So I guess your telling me I won't be sleeping too well for the next few months.

Oh well it could be worse.

Jan

Milu
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Do you have a night light in the bedroom?

Polar
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
If he always has to go poop when he gets up I would change
his feeding schedule. I personally never leave a bowl of food
out all the time. We have a 14 yr old female lab and an
8 month old male gp. We feed our gp two cups of dry food in
the morning and two cups of dry food at 5 in the evening
after that both dogs are done eating for the day, water of coarse
is always out for them. That way we let both dogs out before
we go to bed around 10 and they both are fine till 7 am. For
the past month our gp doesn't want his breakfast so I will take it
awayand offer it again one hour later usually he doesn't want it
then either. I don't offer it again, he knows that's it till dinner
time at 5. He will eat all of it at 5. He gets 2 cups in the am and 2 cups
in the pm but if he doesn't eat his am meal I give him 3 cups
for the pm meal. I just thing 4 cups of food all at once would
have him throwing up.

Topper
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I always choose to get up. I could of closed the bedroom door. But he does go pee and just doing his pyr. listening. At this time of year he is learning what the WY winds are all about. We live in a single wide trailer. Were we live which is on top of a hill we sometime get some pretty good wind. Well it will rock the trailer a bit and topper goes nuts look for who is moving the floor under him. :D :eek:

pyr haven
12-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't think I snore. :D I exercise him daily about a mile or 2 walk. I let him out before I go to bed which is usually around 10, and he lays down and bam hes up at 1 or 3, last night I woke because I knew he was having a dream because he was running and like crying. So I got up and started to rub his head and bam he jumped up and now I have a bump on my head. It's killing me because I have to get up at 5:15.

Hi Jewel he doesn't run around in a panic its more like hes looking for fun,

I think u gotta ignore him when he's dreaming. Dun rub his head. Petting him tho for us its reassurance will just reinforce that this is a good behaviour so he'll do it again.

rosemary1978
12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Wish I could help, but our 6 month old, male pyr is ...in-&-out all night long. He prefers to sleep outside in the grass (likely because its colder outside), however; he usually goes in-and-out a couple times during the night. He will begin to bark outside so we let him in the house....then he may sleep an hour or two in the house...and then cries and whines to go back outside. Some nights are better than others...but it is always in-and-out at least twice. The worst nights ..it's more like 6 times. We can't let him bark outside in the middle of the night since we're in a neighborhood. He basically has US trained, I suppose. However, if he is crying to go outside I'm always afraid that he has to go to the bathroom...so I always give in and let him out. Additionally, he sounds so pathetic crying by the back door....that I always give in and let him out. Even if it means in 30 minutes he'll start barking and I'll have to bring him back in the house. good luck. lol. :eek:

Tsunibear
12-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I free feed Missy but I get up all the time and let her out in the middle of the night because I don't sleep much here lately. She is up in the middle of the night playing with her squeaky toy and trying to wake up the Shar-pei poor guy just wants to sleep but she won't let him. Only time she actually wakes me up is when she really has to go potty other then that her late night shenanigans aren't an issue.

Black Angel
12-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Rosemary

Your Pyr sounds just like mine yesterday he made it till 4:15. Yours is 6 months and mine is 8, maybe its puberty or they are teething, all I know is I need sleep.

Jan :)

dsloveswva
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
i think maybe the great pyrenees is nocturnal by nature, that's when the necessary guarding instinct is most important. when joy was a babe (under one year) i would take her out at night on the leash to go potty,so i had the say when she came inside. and yes, anything positive you do when they aredoing something you don't want them to do, like whining, barking. etc. is positively reinforced in your dog's brain when you give the behavior attention.
great pyrenees are so smart and clever, but they cannot tell time. :)

ragingbull83
12-03-2009, 06:42 AM
George used to get up at 6 am everyday not a min off he puts his to front feet on my bed and starts making bear sounds.
But since he hasnt added in the Daylight savings time into that big brain of his its been 5:30 every morning.
Yea they get good 14 15 hours of sleep in even if its when hes in the truck with me so they can stay up all night and chew on his bone wonder around get into trouble that kinda thing and hes almost 5 so its all GPs really

Topper
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Topper know time 6AM is breakfest and 6PM is dinner. Daylight didn't change that either.

Jewel
12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Orvis has this door mat that says "Let Me Out So I Can Come In" - that is so totally my dogs!! Bijou demands to come in or go out countless times a day, her brother less so but is still guilty of his share. When Bijou was less than a year-old, I was like rosemary worrying that every time she asked to go out she needed to use the potty. Now that she's 18 months, I know she's just being demanding. She doesn't whine or cry at the door, she scratches HARD at the door, so that one of us comes running just to save the door from being ruined. :eek:

When she scratches at our bedroom door during the night, I can now discern a difference between a "I am bored let me out" scratch and the more intense "Mom I really have to go" scratch :D. I am quite proud of how well I have been trained.

TexasKat
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I have to agree that somewhere under their furry coats, Pyrs wear pocketwatches.

My quite elderly Pyr mix (passed onto his next adventure now) became a complete house dog in his later years. Because I work from home and do creative work late at night when the house is quiet, it was often just he and I around in the wee hours of the morning.

Ranger generally expected his bedtime ritual (me announcing it was bedtime and turning off my computer, then him going outside to potty, a bedtime treat and a hug) around 2AM before he'd settle in the carpeted living room in his 'spot' to sleep for the night.

Sometimes, a project kept me up past 'normal' bedtime.

Usually, around 2:15, he'd scratch at the backdoor to go out (guess he decided to get the ball rolling himself) then when he came back in, and regardless of his 'normal' process, he'd stay up with me. BUT, if I was still working at 3AM, he'd harumph himself off to bed like a grouchy old man who'd stayed up past his bedtime.

The times never varied, I could set an alarm clock by him.

The 2 five-month old pups we have now are just as time aware. We began taking them out for a walk at about 5PM everyday. Now if I'm not ready at 5PM, they'll both come stand next to me and give me the "your-neglecting-me-shamefully" stare that Pyrs do so well. By 5:15, one will come grab my hand and start pulling.

Pocketwatches, I tell ya!

Black Angel
12-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Two days ago I was so tired I yelled at him and said go to bed I am tired of this, would you believe he slept till my alarm went off, today he slept again but woke me to go out at 5 A.M. so I am making some progress.

Now my next fight with him is to stop him from playing with my other dog who is a sheperd mix, and 14 years old. He wants to play shes too old and tired, so they end up fighting.

But you got to love them, especially his sad look when I have to go too work.

Jan

John W. JOHNSON
12-04-2009, 08:18 AM
It is the same for us as well we got Axel from a farm and I am sure he was was fed at 4:00 a.m. and this was our rutine for about two months, he then reverted most of the time to our routine of 6:00 a.m. and just like he has a clock in his head. If we miss a step in the established routine, miss his 10 - 12 walk then he needs to go out at 3 for sure, but if we keep it regular then he is fine. Part of the routine is where he sleeps, (in our room where we have a fan which is noisy so he can't hear every creak or critter), he normally sleeps through. Exercise is a key and we also split his food, 3 cups morning and night. One thing I have noticed about Axel is that he is picky about where he does his business in that he will not go in the same place twice and will hold it if he can't go where he wants to, if this happpens and at first I thought it was a false alarm or he just needed to pee, he would then become increasingly restless until he was taken out again and then he would go to the spot he wanted and go; so live and learn they know what they want to do.
We also hav another dog she is 8 but in good shape and Axel seldom leaves her alone as well, she will be soaking wet in a couple of minutes if we let them play and we do for about 10-15 minutes until we break it up, fortunatly we have areas they can each go to give Tessa a break from the beast. She is about 35 Lbs. and he is 120 and very strong, I think he thinks he is being gental but every once in a while all heck breaks loose and we have a bit of a scuffle.
On a humorous note the latest hting our big boy is afraid of is a butter nut squash, he had never seen one before I guess, but be went to about 3 feet away from the thing and barked madley at it until we put it away; we used it to get his attention if he was particularly willful about something we would bring out the squash and game over, eventually this lost it's power and unfortunatly the squash was too far gone to eat.

PyrDad
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Angel I understand 100% where your coming from with the playing. My Cheval a 2 year old pure pyr, is ALWAYS wanting to play with my 9 year old pyr rott mix. he has about 30 lbs on her and she has had a hard life. We think she has some arthitus starting to top it off. BUT, when she gets in the mood he best look out. She can git under him, grab his collar and toss him around the room. So, the two will probobly work things out on the old dogs terms.

Kate53
12-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Rosemary

Your Pyr sounds just like mine yesterday he made it till 4:15. Yours is 6 months and mine is 8, maybe its puberty or they are teething, all I know is I need sleep.

Jan :)

Guess you guys haven't figured out that Pyrs are nocturnal!!! Mine sleeps all day and is "on duty" all night!! :rolleyes:

fluffylove
12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
My boy sleeps during the day mostly, but is up at night, after we go to bed, whatever that time may be til about 4am. Then he is tired.

Andrea
12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I guess I can call me lucky on that subject. Luca goes to bed with me. She either sleeps next to the bed or behind the door. She doesn't bark, makes no kind of noise and gets up in the morning whenever I feel climbing out of the
bed :)