PDA

View Full Version : New Pyr owner-puppy arrived saturday-Any Advice APPREICIATED!!

chioual
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
hello,
soooooexcited to have our great pyr. we looked at lots of breeders but none were available. found a litter someone wanted to get rid of so adopted a pup from missour. we LOVE him! we have a 45 acre farm and a 3 yr old daughter. so far, he is a most mellow, calm pup ever. we've bought books and researched websites.... any adivce Appreciated!!

i don't think he has ever been inside a house before and gets a little shy/scared indoors. he is happy and playful when outdoors. we plan to keep him inside when we are home, outiside/in barn w/ sheep and goats when we are away.

chioual
11-23-2009, 08:18 AM
here is our Snowbear

Milu
11-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Congrats on your pup, he's a cutie! Just think, in a few weeks he'll be too big to sleep on anyone's chest. Take a ton of pictures! I'd spend the next week or two getting used to things such as loud noises and cars. My pup was raised on a farm and didn't have too much experience with things such as blow dryers, blenders and being in a vehicle- so he was skittish around them for a while. Have you introduced him to the livestock yet?

Jewel
11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
He is so cute!! I would recommend you get that book that DPW mentioned in the other thread "New Sheep Adult Dog".

I often hear people saying how "mellow" and "calm" their pyr pups are. Never could associate those words with my pup... ;)

chioual
11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
so far, he's doing well. we'll see what happens as he gets used to us. the owner of his parents is a farmer and the pup's were kept w/ chickens and goats. he seems to be comfortable around the other animals but not trying to chase/play with them.

my husband pre-ordered and read that livestock book. he gave the litter the puppy test and ours did the best-that's how he was picked.

i've only had 1 other dog in my life-and she was Hyper! so i dont know if it's just Snowbear or this breed, but he is a lot more calm/quiet/mellow. when he saw his crate with the big comfy bed inside, he walked right in and took a nap.

Milu
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Like all breeds, there's dogs with higher energy and dogs that are mellow as can be.
Jewel's Bijou is on the energetic end of the spectrum, mine is toward the middle. Most of the time my pup is pretty calm, but he can be slightly unpredictable. Sometimes a brisk 3 mile walk will tire him out, other times he'll still have energy to bounce around the yard and chase falling leaves.
Your puppy looks very very young- how many weeks? Sometimes I think about human infants at that age and find myself impressed with our pup, Kuma. At 13 weeks, his human counterpart certainly wouldn't be house broken! He still sleeps or lounges around for about 16 hours of the day though.

chioual
11-23-2009, 05:13 PM
day 3, the first day we went to work- he share an area in the barn with Leo our lamb. they got along well! a little shy around the inside of the house but he sits in the corner/hall and watches us quietly. so far- i'm totally in love! he is curled next to me right now on the floor.

pyr haven
11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
omg snowbear is so cute! my pups are also from working dogs on a 1000- acre farm. Sadly the father was killed by coyotes or got shot; just after this litter was borned. He was an aloof dog who takes his job seriously and comes back once every 2/3 days or so for his kibbles. I am embarassed to say my pups are totally spoiled like a child...and have adapted very well to a very sheltered, protective, domestic life wit modern amenities

hosselliott
11-24-2009, 06:16 AM
I agree with Milu, take lots of pictures .
They grow so fast , I thought I took a lot, but now at 11 months I wish I had more, of when they were 1-3 months old.
I don't care what anyone says pyr puppy's are the cutiest .
You might want to trim their nails or file the little points down , makes life a lot less painful, I used my nail clippers and just trimmed the nasty thin point off.

vin63
11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
the photo of him nose-to-nose with your daughter is priceless! The indoor thing is not that uncommon. Our Isabella was around 2 years old when we adopted her, and it was immediately obvious when we brought her home that she had never been indoors. It took a few weeks, but with lots of patience, a few toys, food/treats, and quiet time, she acclimated well.

chioual
11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
today's photo- we're taking Lots of pictures! still just a great pup. getting more playful inside. we are starting to have to say "no" when he tries to play/nip at our fingers but we give him toys and he is easily redirected

Milu
11-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't know about giving him toys immediately after nipping or mouthing- that's rewarding that behavior.

PyrMix
11-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi there, I would disagree slightly with the toys as being a reward. I used this trick with my pyr pup when we got him and he now (at 18 months old) has a little box filled with his chew toys and when he wants to chew he always gets something from the box and it is never our stuff. We would scold his bad nipping behaviour as a pup and immediatly put his chew toy in his mouth. Now, had we have given him treats when he was doing this, or if we were not in a scolding frame of mind, the chew toy would have been seen as a reward. I am not trying to overall disagree, I just know that this trick did work wonders for me and I never have any dog chewed shoes or personal posessions.

Jewel
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Before long Snowbear will be like a whole mattress instead of a pillow for the little girl! :D

chioual
11-25-2009, 12:46 PM
again, Snowbear is being just an A+ pup! will take him in the car and visit friends the next 4 days for socialization training. he is great w/ our cat, but cat isn't so sure about him.... my husband, Snowbear's BaBa (daddy in chinese), will take him for a vet visit this afternoon

THANK YOU ALL SSOOO much for your input/support.... this forum is great! i don't personally know any other great pry owners

Milu
11-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Haha, I love love cat/pyr interaction. It's especially cute when the pup is little, our kitten is the bossier one. I tried to teach my pyr commands in Chinese, but then I realized that he probably wouldn't listen to my fiance who doesn't speak it at all (he has enough trouble getting him to obey him, let alone a language barrier!). Our cat though, responds to some German.

Andrea
11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Our cat though, responds to some German.

Hey Milu, why does your cat respond to german? My oldest cat 'Tiger' does the same, but he crew up in the bavarian mountains of germany. Means him and me came to the USA together in 2006.

dsloveswva
11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
hello, new pyr owner!! my advice? enjoy, enjoy, but always remind them who's the boss, lovingly! i think they're a smart breed, very protective and watchful, but what we humans have as the advantage is that the pyr doesn't like to be scolded and wants to do the right thing, even if they seem kind of aloof at times. and lots of exercise, walks and training is so helpful, they're working dogs and want a certain amount of 'purposeful' movement. my joy (18 months) really belongs in the great outdoors, but has gradually and patiently adapted to living in our home. best wishes, we are all very happy for you and your new best friend!

chioual
11-26-2009, 09:57 PM
our baby boy got so much bigger in less than 1 week! went to friends' house for thanksgiving- there were kids/cooking/adults/tv/toys etc; Snowbear- cool, calm, collected as always!!!!!! EVERYONE kept telling us how unbelievably great/well behaved our pup is!

Milu
11-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Ah, see we don't keep a box of toys for any of our pets open so that they can choose at will. We use them as rewards or under supervision (with the exception of one Kong we keep in the crate at all times). I found that if we rotate the toys out, the dog shows more interest in the new daily selection (if we leave them laid them out, he will end up ignoring them and gnaw on various furniture) and I find it easier to know exactly how clean each one is and to examine for damage. We like to also control the amount of time he gets with toys and to have him return them to us when it's over, and I found that it helped his possession aggression- he no longer growls at the cat when he comes near them to sniff them because the dog knows the toys are ours, not his.

chioual
11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Snowbear today- he helped us with the Lions club christmas tree sale then decorated at home

RoxysMom
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Those pics are too cute! My new Pyrenees pup is coming home the day after Christmas, I can't wait.

Milu
11-28-2009, 05:57 PM
How old is he? What a cutie pie!

chioual
11-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Snowbear is a little over 2 months old. we found him on craigslist in missour. his parents are guardian dogs and live with sheep/goats/chickens. so far, he is just the most calm, marvelous pup ever! at the Lions club tree sale, EVERYONE stops by to see the pup and ask me questions about him. we exposed him to different noises and peopel-trying to socialize him early

pyr haven
11-29-2009, 10:02 PM
hmmm snowbear and ur daughter (i presume) has the same grins. they are both very cute

ragingbull83
12-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Ill have to start looking on there makes me even want a puppy. Having your great Pyr puppy out there will defentley generate a lot of attention.

The full grown dogs will too had George with me at the park the other day and there was so many people petting him and giving him attention he finally about 12 pm crawled under the Picnaic table so no one could reach him lol.

O on the advice keep your stuff up high because a puppy will chew. Take threw that house like a Demo Crew lol

Holly's mom
12-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Snowbear's owner: I am very curious as to whether you adopted your new baby in Jackson, MO? If so, then my Holly was born on the same farm & just might be related to your little cutie!!

As for advice, a big one is to watch out for "mouthing" behavior. It is important to teach the pup their own bite strength rather than to not bite at all. I did this by giving a high-pitched yelp as her canine momma would have done.

Can't overemphasize the importance of training & socialization. And get used to attracting attention wherever you go!

chioual
12-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Snowbear is doing great! happy to see anyone; took him to my shift at Lions Club christmas tree lot and city christmas parade- he was great! so far, no problems w/ livestock at all-the goats/ sheep/ llama/pig seem to accept him. he's gotten a lot bigger in just 1-2 weeks

he was from a farm in Sedalia missouri

here are we-wk 1 and wk2

pyr haven
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
best advice i ever got was to think like a big bear. it was this website where the owner feeds the pyrs a pig ear everyday (at tat time i was furiously reading up wat to feed pyr pup!) I weigh about the same as 10mth old pyr so this comes in really handy!

dsloveswva
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
pyr owners might appreciate this--i worked a long shift today, got home about 9:15. joy was so happy i was home, let her out to potty, then she came back in. i was on the phone, and putting stuff away from the store; she picked up one of her 'inside' toys she's not allowed to take outside, and walked to the back door, looking at me out of the corner of her eye. she did it for attention! i busted out laughing and played with her for about an hour and a half, til she was worn out. what great friends these pyrs are! thanks for reading....peace!

Holly's mom
12-08-2009, 07:32 AM
I thought I would share Holly's fave game--Hide and seek. I guess it started one day last spring when we were on opposite sides of the big tree outside and I pretended to be "hiding". Of course she had to come around the other side to "find" me. Then I started ducking behind the couch while she was lying on it, and she would peek over the back and grin at me as if to say, "I see you, Mommy!!" Pretty soon it was a whole-house game. It's a good game for before bedtime, as it is great for wearing her down. The only problem is SHE CHEATS! :rolleyes: She will try to watch where I am hiding. So, it's really a two-person game: one person stays with her to keep her from peeking while the other hides. When the hider is ready, they call her name softly to guide her toward them. One benefit is that now she ALWAYS comes when called, no matter what she's doing, because it might be time to do something fun!

I've recently adapted this into hiding a favorite toy while we're playing with it (making it stick out a little so she can see it), and she loves that, too. She always looks so proud and happy when she wins (and of course she wins every time)!! I tried teaching HER to hide, but haven't gotten too far with that yet. She just seemed confused, so I gave up on that for now.

P.S. She visited Santa on Sat.--will post the pic on the appropriate thread as soon as her daddy scans it in.