PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Breaks

pyr haven
11-17-2009, 08:02 PM
umm just wondering how long can ur pyrs last before they need to go out to relieve themselves. My 9 mth babies can now sleep right thru from 9.30pm till 7 am. When younger, it was e few times in the night ie. midnight, 3 am, 5 am

Tsunibear
11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I take Missy out whenever I get up in the middle of the night and every time I take her out she does her thing. I know she can hold it cause she has refused to go during long car trips.

Andrea
11-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Luca is now 10 month old and she can hold it quite a while. We are at work from 8am - 6pm. And luckily I don't have to get up in the middle of the night anymore. The last accident she had inside was about 6 weeks ago, but this was sort of a diarrhea poop so I really wasn't mad at her.
On some days I really thought will she ever be housebroken??? She definitely is it now!!! ;)

Milu
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
At 9 weeks, Kuma used to go potty every 2 hours and I'd wake up accordingly. He'd always wake me up by making antsy noises. But lately, he likes spending the whole night without any trips outside, sometimes I'll bring him out and he'll go running for a spot to dig or something to pick up with his mouth or even ignore me altogether and stay in his crate. However, this morning- he just stood up and peed in his crate without warning- no whines, barks or anything. He's never peed in the crate before, so now I'm curious what changed.

Jewel
11-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Bijou was sick on and off from 4 to 8 months and almost every night she had to get up to go, sometimes more than once a night. After we finally got her digestive issues somewhat under control, she decided she would get up in the middle of the night to go outside and play and chase bugs. Thank goodness she's grown out of that stage now.

pyr haven
11-19-2009, 03:12 AM
hmm my male pup just peed on the floor (not marking but a puddle) during dawn. how do you get them to tell you they wanna go outside? in the day time, they will kinda come up to you and look expectantly. (It's still touch and go cos they are still young). I hope to be kindly perceptive with their peeing hours!

Is it a good idea to leave doggy diapers on the floor?

We took a rest stop during a long drive and notice the pups refused to pee unless it is a residential area with other dogs around. Has this happen to anyone else...i wonder why. Long drive 6hrs they will typically refuse to go as well

Milu
11-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I think the smell of other dogs' waste might help trigger them to want to go potty as well? For the last 3 weeks, I kept Kuma either in his crate, outside or in the tiled kitchen and slowly gave him carpet rights 10 minutes at a time, after he went both number one and two outside. It worked great- only had diarrhea related accidents (which I can't really blame him for) and one strange pee incident in his crate. Now I can trust him in all areas of the house for about up to an hour.

ad_mn81
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I was talking to a neighbor who said how she trained her dogs to ring a bell attached to a rope by the back door. Every time she took them out potty she'd ring the bell and eventually the dogs would ring it on their own... Sounds like a good idea to me, has anyone else heard of this or better yet tried it?

On a food related question, I read somewhere how too much protein in a pyr's diet can cause bowel problems? Can anyone confirm or disagree with this? I was wanting to switch Ace's food entirely over to Evo which i high in protein. For the past month we have been mixing a cup of Evo to 2cups Natural Balance limited ingredient formula which has made a massive difference in terms of his poop and how it is formed etc...

Jewel
11-19-2009, 07:45 PM
yes, my godchild, a ridgeback, was trained to ring the bell hung on the door knob to go out. She learned to ring the bell pretty quickly. The thing is, she also learned to ring the bell for just about anything she wanted as a means to get the human's attention. :p

High protein food like Evo is also higher in calories and higher fat. Some dogs may not be able to tolerate it. It has to do with each individual dog, not with the breed. Natural Balance allergy formula is pretty low in protein. I've used the NB venison but I also supplemented it with 95% canned venison. If Ace is doing fine with Evo added, then I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and transition to Evo completely.

fluffylove
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Don't do the bell thing, if youi have a smart pyr they will ring the bell just to get you to the door, or because they want outside, so you'll be hearing that bell all the time as they manipulate you! I didn't do the bell thing, glad i didn't, but I had that happen with the bark! Be proactive, you take them out every few hours and watch for the potty, don't just assume they go.

dsloveswva
11-21-2009, 08:15 AM
this is an interesting-topic on the forum--i have heard of the bell use for potty breaks and that for some dogs it works well, but i can definitely see my joy or another pyr using it to beckon their human servant! and joy was house-broken at a few months old, except for a couple of intestinal-related accidents. i work 10-12 hours on mondays and she stays home from rompin' rovers that day, and never potties in the house, so that's her potty story.
also, on a different topic, i'm reading 'a big little life' by dean koontz, the story of a wonderful dog he was blessed to have for twelve years. peace, y'all!