PDA

View Full Version : Bird Dogs?

vin63
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
We have several large families of crows in my area and the first thing both of my Pyrs do when the go outside is look up and chase the crows flying overhead. I wanted to see if anyone else's Pyrs exhibited behaviors toward, or have an interest in birds.

Topper
09-22-2009, 08:31 AM
We were down in Denver for a month for medical stuff and my brother has trees and have lot of squirrels. Topper would spend hour watching them. When we got back home and we have no trees but he would look up and shake his head because he didn't understand. But he sure love those squirrels.

nick's spirit
09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Up in Alaska we have ravens...and they love to "play" with the dogs. Sometimes swooping over them, sometimes flying just out of their reach, and sometimes just flying at their level...low & slow it's almost as if they want to play a game of tag! The dogs run along the beach & get quite a workout! As my Pyr's get older the fasination with the games seems to get old too.

Kate53
09-23-2009, 05:58 AM
We have a park/walking path near my house that I walk Queenie to almost everyday. There is a large pond area to walk around with lots of "Muskovie" (sp) ducks and a couple of white geese. Queenie likes to try and chase them just to make them move....right to the end of her leash I might add! She sure is a strong dog when she decides to move! Of course you know all the residents feed these things so they are not too anxious to fly away....but Queenie can get them to take off into the water. Same with the squirrels at the other park. There are lots of huge trees there along with palms, etc. Walkers will feed the squirrels so they tend to want to walk right up to you. Queenie always trees them and then sits under the tree and waits for them to sneak down to investigate. Savage amusement I think.....

John W. JOHNSON
09-23-2009, 07:19 AM
When Axel was very younge he was interested in the Robins and tried to catch them if he saw one it took him some time to figure out that the birds could just fly away, I think the Robins played him a bit just staying out of his reach far enough to tease him.

vin63
09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I know, it's fun entertainment. :p They are looking up so much, they often miss the cat that goes running off and scaling the fence.