PDA

View Full Version : LGD story

DPW
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
This story involves a Marrema rather than a Pyr but I thought others may enjoy the story as much as I did.
This came from a letter to the editor in the Oregon Meat Goat Producers monthly newsletter.
A Readers Digest version. Late one Friday night a car runs through a fence taking out several posts. 145 3-5 month old goats that were being weaned wander out on to the highway. The peoples 2 year old female Marrema, Annie, that was penned with the goats kept them pushed against the fence and off the highway.
After the goats were secured the owner goes back to fix the fence and has 3 people that stopped to help express their amazement at how well the dog did in keeping the goats off the road.
The letter ended "Here's to our devoted helpers, may we treat them as they deserve."

dsloveswva
09-12-2009, 07:09 PM
hello--is marrema a great pyrenees or a breed of dog? if a pyr, i'm totally not surprised at the help she provided--excellent!

DPW
09-13-2009, 07:14 AM
I think there's at least a dozen breeds of dogs which fall under the label of Livestock Guardian or Livestock Protection dogs. The Great Pyrenees and Marremma are only two.
Our dog Cider is not a purebred Pyr. His mom has some Marremma in her.
One fact I find interesting is that LGD breeds are among the oldest breeds of dogs in the world.
If any of you have not visited the breed information and training link found on the top of this page I would urge you to do so. The first paragraph.

"The Great Pyrenees is native to the Basque country in the Pyrenees mountains that border France and Spain. Known as Le Chien de Montagne des Pyrénées in its native France, the Great Pyrenees is known to be one of the oldest breeds of dog in the world. The first written reference to the Great Pyrenees is from 1407, where the historian of the Chateau of Lourdes wrote of the breed in use to guard the Chateau.
While similar in size and stature to the Mastiff family, the Great Pyrenees is actually descended from the ancient large, white livestock guardian dogs of the middle ages and therefore evolved parallel to most modern breeds of dogs as opposed to being descended from them. Because of this, the Great Pyrenees has more in common with a wolf, than that of a modern dog. Having no extant ancestor, the Great Pyrenees has remained virtually unchanged both physically and mentally for hundreds of years. This has allowed it to evolve naturally over centuries, which among other things, means that the breed has relatively few health problems, in comparison to modern dogs."

Andrea
09-13-2009, 08:12 AM
I just looked at some pictures of maremma dogs, Akbash sheepdogs from Turkey, Kuvac of Slovacia and Kuvasz dogs. To me they all look the same. I guess all these dogs have the same ancestors somehow. And as you can see they are all from different European Countries. It's hard to explain but at least they look all cute and adorable, just like our Pyrs, don't you think so??