PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Fear outside the yard

abeedle
09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone. My female Pyr (Penny) is 18 mos old and recently started exhibiting classic anxiety and fear in the car. She has regularly come to work with me and had no problems until the beginning of August when she suddenly started barking at a manhole cover on our way home and then became extremely anxious when we passed the firestation (which we pass every day on the way to and from the office).

Since then, I've had trouble taking her on walks (she's never liked going for walks -- on leash that is) and she will simply sit down and refuse to go further, trying to pull and get back to the house.

I've been able to calm her enough to accept rides to the office and once here, she does fine. Walks have remained a problem, but thankfully we have a very large yard and she gets plenty of exercise there. But I would still like to enjoy walks and rides with her.

Help! Any ideas???

Topper
09-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Have had the girl since a puppy or did you get as a rescue. See you have 4 cats you rescue. If a rescue how long have you had her.

abeedle
09-09-2009, 06:52 PM
We've had her since she was a pup. She's great with everyone -- we have three children (17, 14, and 11) and with the cats. She's protective of our house and yard in a very positive way and has managed to pass her Canine Good Citizen as well.

She's our first Pyr and I'm still learning about this breed's great (and quirky) personality. It's been evident that while she's a powerful girl, she's also very sensitive... So, I'm not really sure what's going on with her. Any ideas are appreciated.

John W. JOHNSON
09-10-2009, 06:18 AM
We had a problem with car rides as well, very anxious and then producing the unbarable yelp-bark ear piercing to say the least and he would not accept treats when in this state. We had to start the treats before the ride and on the way to the car and very soo he gave that anxiety up; but he quickly replaced it with another one "garabage bags" so it is usually something that is new or something has happend with the ride that was not observed somthing she sensed and now associates with the ride. The walking may be that she just wishes to go another way, Axel does this on a regular basis and now we have 5 different ways we walk, she may not want to go too far from home; if it is really hot they don't want to walk much in the heat of the day. If we encounter any of this sort of things we talk to Axel and explain to him what the thing is, (I read this on another site and tried it and it works for us), the other day we bought a butternut squash and axel was terrified of the thing backing away and barking at it we had to put it down on the floor and it took 15 minutes for him to get over the anxiety around the squash.
Good luck!

Topper
09-10-2009, 08:50 AM
What John Johnson says is all true. Topper is our first pyrenees also. We have always had/have Malamutes. I am very much enjoying topper. They have the best personality. Very smart. The malamute are also but I have never got them to learn tricks like I have topper. His smile will melt your heart. I have found with Topper don't like sudden change. When a dog is in anixious or aggression mode they will not eat. You girl might be going though a change. I would just keep doing what you are doing and also talk to her about it. I know my topper understand everything we talk about. :)

abeedle
09-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone. This is great advice. I think that Pyrs take their 'guard and protect' duties pretty seriously no matter the situation. So, even though I'm clearly the alpha for her, she probably thinks I'm insane to go casually driving near dangerous things like manhole covers and fire trucks. So gentle explaining, etc... will probably go a long way to help.

Thanks!