PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to compare puppy weights?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jeneanxo
08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
This is just for fun- age and weight:
Hopper was 25.5 lbs at 12 weeks

ragingbull83
08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Ive got a 4 year old puppy at least he acts like it. lol took him into the Vet last week to get his Dew Claws trimmed 186.5 pounds all muscle dont feel a bit of fat on him so you got a lot to look foward too.

Bunchie
08-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi! Took Samson to the vet at three months (about 3 weeks ago) and he weighed in at 35 lbs! I think he is well over 40 now!

Topper
08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Topper is 28 1/2 tall and is about 100lbs. He is 10 month old

rosemary1978
08-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Bruce is just over 9 weeks old and is 20 lbs. We just weighed him yesterday. He has gained 6.5 lbs in 2 weeks!

Andrea
08-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Luca is now 7 1/2 month old and weighs 63 lbs. She got spayed today, that's why I know her actually weight.

Andrea

ragingbull83
08-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Some good looking pups you guys got there.

Jeneanxo
08-18-2009, 06:21 AM
you guys have some big puppies! my husband had to have a boy, since he has daughters, girl dogs, girl cats. I tell him when Hopper is eating off the counter top, he needs to remember that he wanted the BIGGER puppy! but maybe not quite as big as some :)

rocky09
08-18-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm glad i found this site, I jus got my pup a few days ago. He's 3 months old 30 pds and when i finally got him to b still for me to measure him about 17 inches tall.. so i'm guessin from what i've read he's on track with his growth? I got him from a elderly lady, she didnt realize how big he was gonna get when her grandkids got him for her lol..He found my window unit and likes to get in the water drippin from it, so i cleaned out a lil swimming pool and put on the patio for him. I had the joy of riding home 140 miles with him in the truck with me, thats where this picture was taken lol

ragingbull83
08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Thats funny rocks Great pys defentley love trucks especally diesel trucks George will get up in the front seat of my Ram which is cool he wants to see stuff but he blocks all the Ac vents lol

John W. JOHNSON
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Axel is just turning 10 months and is 115lbs but people think he is bigger and guess 150-175. They do seem to grow right in front of you from morning to evening some times. Axel got to a point and got a little fat but then got taller and longer. We know he is big and we love that but one day someone was walking up the driveway and he must have wanted to really impress on them not to and stood on his back feet up against the window and I swear his head was at the top of the window and I was shocked by that, so it is also the lenght of these dogs that is great as well. and if you saw that in the window you would not come in uninvited. :eek:

ragingbull83
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I bet Axel will be a big boy like George is John 115 at that age going to be massive. I agree with you about the size but what is really amazing that i havent seen other breeds of dogs do is that they can put that huge body in the smallest spaces.
They Curl up like snakes and you dont realize what a huge bear untill they sit up George will sometimes curl up in the passenger floor board i was amazed the first time he did it absolutley amazing animal.

Jewel
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I am in for the smallest pyr. Bijou is 14 months and weighs 68 lbs (about 26 inches tall). George would 2.5 Bijous put together :eek:

milo2145
08-29-2009, 07:35 PM
my jethro at 14 months was 120, i have not had him weighed for a few months now so i am sure he is a few pounds heavier.
he really doesnt eat very much, 1 can of pedigree and a cup of dry food in the morning, and 2 cups of dry food in the evening - good quality dry food though.

dsloveswva
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM
stats on my joy--8 lbs. at 8 weeks, brought her home from virginia to florida
in an a/c jeep, stopped in charlotte overnight at a (good) friend's. now at 15 months she's about 105-108 lbs, sometimes she gained 5 lbs. a week and would be bigger in the evening than when i left in the morning! she ate ice from a small cup the whole way home and STILL loves ice. her dad is 180 lbs., her mom about 130, gorgeous dogs. she's still growing and i figure she'll end up 120-130 lbs.,maybe a little more. people say 'oh, what a huge dog!' but she's who she's supposed to be! my love seat is in front of the living room window; when she's alerted to something and gets up on it into the window, she's about 8 feet tall. okay with me! she's doing her job--guarding!
we are definitely safe!

Bunchie
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi folks, been gone for awhile... Sammie will be 4 months old on Friday 9/4 and he weighed in at 47 lbs last week at the vet... guess I should update his picture as he now looks more like a bear in the face than a dog!

Budsprout
09-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Frosty just came back from the vet today weighing in at 45lbs at 5 months. I'm wondering if he's underweight for his age? He's been eating science diet puppy food that is high in calcium (the vet said it would be good for his growing bones since he'll be a big boy) but I'm wondering if I should switch him to a high protein instead of high calcium?

Jeneanxo
09-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I have been feeding Solid Gold Wolf Cub large breed puppy food to Hopper (pricey!!), well worth it (1st 2 ingredients are bison and salmon). Hopper's not too heavy, but tall! at 14 weeks was (if I measured correctly) 19" at the hips.

Rebelmom
09-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Frosty just came back from the vet today weighing in at 45lbs at 5 months. I'm wondering if he's underweight for his age? He's been eating science diet puppy food that is high in calcium (the vet said it would be good for his growing bones since he'll be a big boy) but I'm wondering if I should switch him to a high protein instead of high calcium?

Rebel was always about the same ten lb. weight increment as the amount of months old up until about 8 or 9 months. In other words, at 3 months he weighed 30 lbs. :) 4 months, 40 lbs. and so on then he started slowing up as he approached a year and at 18 months he weighed around 110 and when I took him to the vet today at age 20 months he suddenly went through a growth spurt and now weighs 120. I think Frosty sounds like he's right on track with his weight, better not to gain too fast. Rebel acts like he doesn't even have an appetite half the time so I was really surprised today to see that he gained ten lbs. especially in the hot Las Vegas heat this summer!! Rebel eats EVO which is high protein but mostly because he seems to have better stools on that than any other food we have tried.

Polar
09-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I have a 5 1/2 month old male, Polar He is now about 65-70 lbs
I ca t beleive how big George is! I didnt know they got that
big?!

dsloveswva
09-07-2009, 06:03 PM
i'm saying this in a friendly way--how could you not know they got that big?
he's probably going to be about 110 lbs. at a year old. bet he's gorgeous!

NickRonnette
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Just last Friday we had our Pyr, River weighed. At just short of 8 month's, he now weights in at 97 lbs. He only has a thin layer of fat over the ribs.

Dreamweaverrdc
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Abbey, is 5 months old now and she's between 50-55 lbs, and gaining everyday :D :)

doggiedoggirl
09-08-2009, 12:18 AM
My puppy Zeus was very emaciated when I got him home, but eventually gained around 10 lb for every month he was until 9 months old when he weighed 87lb. Since 10 months old he slowed down to 92lb. 12 months 100lb.
Now at 13 months 102lb. He is an Anatolian Pyrenees. That is Great Pyrenees mother and Anatolian Shepherd father.

Polar
09-08-2009, 09:01 AM
i'm saying this in a friendly way--how could you not know they got that big?
he's probably going to be about 110 lbs. at a year old. bet he's gorgeous!

I know they get big, but everything I read about them states males will be about 130-140, but George is 184lbs!! Wow! Just curious was George neutered?
Robin

2ndPyr
09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Sabby is 19 mts old, we haven't weighed him for a couple months, but he hasn't gained a whole lot since then...probably weighs near 100 lb. He's a tall, lean guy.
If you ask my hubby though, he'll always say Sabby weighs about 10 to 15 more lb than he actually does, LOL, I think it's a guy thing.

2ndPyr
09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
yeah George's dad..............
we're Curious about George.
LOL, just a play on words.

Tsunibear
09-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Little Missy is a little short of 6 months old and she weighs 60lbs currently. She is a Pyrenees/Bernese Mountain dog mix.

heyitstay
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
2 weeks ago, we got two pyr pups. They are now 10 weeks. One of the boys is about 22 pounds while the other is 14 pounds, on a good day. They both are a good weight for their size, although the smaller could gain a few pounds on to his frame and still be on target for his size. We hate wet food, but the smaller gets it mixed in because of the extra calcium, so that he will catch up. Could there be an actual problem as to why he isn't growing barely any, or will he just be a small pyr? The mom weighed 100 and the dad weighed 165. We have a vet appt in 2 weeks for the 12 weeks shots so I will be sure to ask the vets opinion as well. Just hoping that someone had a similar experience!

Milu
11-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Kuma@ 9 weeks- 24 pounds
It's been over 3 weeks since we weighed him (I don't even have a scale in the house!)
I'm starting to think that he's pretty big for his age after looking at other people's puppy pictures. Both his parents were around 125, but his head just looks bigger than those of his siblings. I know he's not fat because I can feel his ribs and see the curve of his hips, so I guess I'm in for a big dog!
Visual aid: I took this just now, I gave him a stuffed kong to keep him busy while I was building a cat tree. That kong is the large size, roughly 4 and a half inches.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/KaiserMimiVII_2008/155-1.jpg

fluffylove
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Why on earth are you rushing the weight? bigger is rarely better. People always try to go so big, but it's extremely rare to get a good dog that's big, both in temperment and conformation. Make sure the dogs get the proper nutition and stop worrying about the weight! It's not important to anyone but you!!! If my dog's parents were so huge, at 125lbs, I would not be rushign the weight, they are more likely to have problems if they grow to fast, and especially if they get neutered at a young age. The different sized bones grow at different rates as do the tendons/ligaments. Careful what you wish for!!!

Milu
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I never said anything about rushing his weight.

pyr haven
11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
4 mths - 38 lbs
9 mths - slightly over 70 lbs

average for 2 pups 1 female and 1 male

ad_mn81
11-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey doggiedoggirl, I have the exact same mix, a anatolian pyr mix, would luv to see pics of him/her. Has anyone heard of a brand of food called Evo?? It has a pic of bernese mountain dog on it...

heyitstay
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not rushing his weight, the wet food was prescribed by the vet to see if he has the capacity to grow since he has barely put on anything in 2 weeks while the other is growing like a weed. They will have to test for calcium absorbsion problems if he doesn't begin to grow. I won't be dissapointed if he is just a tiny pyr, but I need to know if there's a problem or if anyone else had a situation similar where all of the sudden the puppy caught up to a weight within the weight chart.

Milu
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
If you're following the vets instructions, you're doing exactly what you're supposed to.

Milu
11-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Has anyone heard of a brand of food called Evo?? It has a pic of bernese mountain dog on it...
That's good stuff.

TexasKat
11-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Hello all! I've been 'lurking' for several weeks here and have really enjoyed the stories and advice you've all shared. It's been very helpful to me. :)

After having the privilege of being owned by a 3/4 Pyr (with 1/4 something else large and rough coated) our much-loved "Ranger" passed away at the age of 17. A couple of months later, we became the proud parents of a 6 week male Pyr (Scout). After deciding that one is never enough, we arranged to adopt a second Pyr (girl puppy) and picked her up when she was 9 weeks old. Not bothering to explain the math, they're not related but only a week apart in age.

Gypsy (our little girl) was tiny, had a thin coat and seemed quite defensive when eating when we first brought her home. I have nothing but nice things to say about the breeder, but the fact was--Gypsy was from a litter of 10 pups and was one of the smallest. Combining her smallish size, her competition for dinner and the fact that since the pups were 9 weeks old before the breeder would allow them to go to new homes (and Texas was TERRIBLY hot this summer) I worried that Gypsy was always going to look small and forlorn.

Having another Pyr pup standing next to her (only a week older) that was twice the size and 4 times the hair made the comparison quite startling. Gypsy lost her defensive posture in eating in about 2 hours (tail tucked under her hind legs, crouched over her separate food bowl). She hasn't stopped eating since.

For about the first 3 weeks, she added weight and height slowly, then all of a sudden (vet trip last week) she only weighs 5 pounds less than her big buddy, Scout. She's now 41 pounds at 4 months and a week and Scout is 46 pounds at 4 1/2 months.

What's more important, she has all the excess energy she needs to race around and play chase, keep-away and wrestling with Scout and seems very happy and healthy.

I know it is worrisome when there may seem to be a problem, but growth spurts happen. Make sure your smaller pup is getting enough sleep (that's when growth occurs) and monitor the smaller boy's energy levels. How is the pup's hair? Thin and brittle? or healthy and soft?

Then give it a couple of weeks and enjoy!

hosselliott
11-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Don't worry to much I have a brother & sister , and as 8 week old pups she was 6 - 10 lbs heavier than him, till 4 - 5 months old.
Then wow his legs grew longer and his girth increased , now at 11 months he stands 4-5 inches higher and 10-15 lbs heavier.
She used to push him around a lot back then but now the tables have turned and he is the alpha dog.
So don't worry even runts catch up, and can make the best dogs .

hosselliott
11-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Just remembered Pookie is skin and bones ,I was getting worried with winter almost here but from reading around, it seems normal.
I am tiring to build a dog house 4' x 4' by 36" high but the top of his head is now 38" when he sits, so mind as well just go with 4' high, it's going to have heat for the below -15 c nights. and a flap so the height shouldn't matter, and any more growth will not matter.
I know he was the runt of the litter and I love him to death he's pretty mellow for a big guy, 11 months old 105 lbs
great advice from everyone.
Thanks

Jewel
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Milu, Kuma is absolutely adorable, but do try not to cut the top of his head off in his next picture :D :p

Bijou is 17 months, 72 lbs. She's been pronounced by some friends who show pyrs that she's too light boned to be shown. Well, I am just crushed about that... oh wait, I didn't get her as a show prospect ;) Bijou's parents aren't large, her mom is somewhere between 80-90 lbs and her dad is probably about 110 lbs. She's very light on her feet for a pyr, and one day out on the trails she was running off lead and this guy asked us what breed she was. When I told him that she's a great pyr, his response was "I've never seen a pyr that can run like that..." I took that as a compliment :)

Milu
11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Milu, Kuma is absolutely adorable, but do try not to cut the top of his head off in his next picture :D :p

Bijou is 17 months, 72 lbs. She's been pronounced by some friends who show pyrs that she's too light boned to be shown. Well, I am just crushed about that... oh wait, I didn't get her as a show prospect ;) Bijou's parents aren't large, her mom is somewhere between 80-90 lbs and her dad is probably about 110 lbs. She's very light on her feet for a pyr, and one day out on the trails she was running off lead and this guy asked us what breed she was. When I told him that she's a great pyr, his response was "I've never seen a pyr that can run like that..." I took that as a compliment :)

I bet that keeps you in great shape, chasing her around!
I wish I could take more pictures of both the kitten and Kuma, unfortunately asking them to hold still is like asking for a flood in the Sahara desert. I think I will invest in a faster camera.
You should take some pictures of Bijou and her brother in agility!

Topper
11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
We might also look how tall they are. My little (LITTLE) topper is 31 3/4 tall next friday we are going to take him to the vet just to weight him. When I get my normal computer back I will put some prictures on. My boy is getting big at the baby age of 13 months. If he wanted to he could pull me around. I a little 117lb girl myself. I have been sick these past couple of days guess were my baby has been right there with me. You have to love them and I do.
:)

Jewel
11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
How old was Topper in the avitar picture? He looked pretty big there already!

Amy Leigh
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
My Pyr is almost exactly a year old now. HE's my first. When I first got him, at 10 weeks, he weighed 27 pounds and was 15 inches tall. Now, he weighs about 145-150 pounds (my scale isn't so accurate) and is 32" at the shoulder. I think he's a bit bony (I can feel his spine, but not his ribs), even though he has enough to eat.

How much bigger can/should I expect him to get, or is he done growing? I'd hate to think that he's going to be bony all his life! I, however, have never had another one of his breed, so I don't know. What do you guys say? Thanks. :)

ragingbull83
11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Think most GPs are topped out at 140-150 but who knows mine is 179 so guess if they eat good are excercised a lot but think that the biggest dog on record is a mastiff has all kind of problems 190 but when people start telling me weights like 200 250 for a dog i gotta say come on lol so what im sayen for a full grown GP anywhere from 140 to the 170s is a good weight full grown

Topper
11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Topper was 9 months in his pictures. I hope here in a week I post a new one. He is a big guy. He does not have the fuffy fur but he has enough. It is hard enough to keep it brush out. We will see next friday his weight but I am guessing 120lB. He sure has become a love bug.

PyrDad
11-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Cheval was almost year when we got him so I can't say puppy weights. Then he was I think 55 @ the vets office. Now, not quite a year and a half later he's closer to 110 here at home, and a little short, 25.5 - 26 @ shoulder.

fluffylove
11-19-2009, 10:54 AM
go back to breeding and genetics before you say "most GP's". Unfotuantley, most GP's are not bred the way they should be, people go for size. If the dogs are neutered they grow taller and bigger, especially if done before the age of 1yr. Look at your pedigree, if your breeder did line breeding you'll know how big he'll get, if the breeder did only outcrosses then you have no idea knowing how big he'll get.

DaisyMae
11-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Daisy weighed 25 lbs at 16 weeks old. She was the runt of the litter so were not expecting her to be the largest GP. We also take her on walks 5 days a week about 3 miles total or more a day. She loves walking and gets plenty of exercise

rocky09
11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Rocky is 7 months old and 85 pds.

rocky09
11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Rocky is 7 months old and 85 pds.

Belanas_mum
11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Belana is 19 wks (nearly 5 mos) and weighs 42.8 lbs.

She nibbles on Holistic Select Large Breed Puppy Kibble throughout the day and gets a raw chicken leg or slice of liver at dinner time.

Bentbirch
11-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Our Bella Luna is 6 months old and approximately 70 lbs. I'm not sure on her height but she has an impressively deep chest and is very solid...not much fat but lots of muscle! She is 3/4 Great Pyr and 1/4 Kuvasz.

Milu
11-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Went to the vet yesterday-
Kuma @ 13 weeks was 36 pounds.

Topper
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM
We took our boy's on Friday and got them weighted. Topper is 103 LBs and 31 3/4 Height and 13 months.

dsloveswva
11-30-2009, 11:11 PM
i LOVE the name bella luna, white moon. it was actually my first choice of names for joy. anyway, she is now 18 months, about 96 pounds, and about 29 inches at 'the withers'. doesn't that mean the shoulders? :rolleyes:

Milu
11-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Beautiful moon- pretty!

Belanas_mum
12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Belana came to me with only basic vaccinations, and since we live way out in the country, I wanted to add Lepto and Lyme to the list. I brought her in yesterday for her final booster at 21wks of age. She is now 46.6 lbs. She gained 4 lbs in two weeks!

fluffylove
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
DO NOT DO LEPTO!!!! There are over 200kinds of lepto, unless you have the extact strains, it's not effective at all and it's horribly toxic to dogs. Autoimmune diseases etc. Ugh.
My female is 15mth and she's only had her first set, that's it! Nothing else. She'll get her rabies next year sometime. She has hep, parvo, distemper, influenza. She's never had ANY problems and is very healthy with a kick rear immune system.
My male has had his first three shots, that I seriously regret doing and only one rabies. Vets are about money a lot of the time. Dogs are way over vacinated, they do not need so many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milu
12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I would ask the vet how many cases of Leptospirosis there have been in the area in the last few years before deciding to withhold that vaccine. There are definitely places where the risk is high (like the area I live) and areas where the risk is minimal.

rocky09
12-10-2009, 09:14 AM
this is rocky almost 8 months old now and my 8 yr old daughter.. he's 26 inches tall and 90 pds

Belanas_mum
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM
DO NOT DO LEPTO!!!! There are over 200kinds of lepto, unless you have the extact strains, it's not effective at all and it's horribly toxic to dogs. Autoimmune diseases etc. Ugh.
My female is 15mth and she's only had her first set, that's it! Nothing else. She'll get her rabies next year sometime. She has hep, parvo, distemper, influenza. She's never had ANY problems and is very healthy with a kick rear immune system.
My male has had his first three shots, that I seriously regret doing and only one rabies. Vets are about money a lot of the time. Dogs are way over vacinated, they do not need so many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a time and place for all vaccinations - each one to be considered by informed individuals whom all have the best interest of their dogs at heart. Thank you for the warning, but I have done my research and while there is a risk with the vaccinations, I am confident that we made the right decision for us.

Belana came to join our family because we just purchased a new waterfront home surrounded by 78 acres of untouched forest. We have three children I am trusting her to help protect and there are many coyotes and bears in the area. Belana is most certainly loved and kept safe to the best of our ability, but she will most definitely not be a sheltered dog. My vet said that lepto is common in areas frequented by coyotes. All she needs to do is drink from a puddle that an infected coyote has urinated in. Given the fact that 50 metres from our house we found an explosion of partridge feathers which undoubtedly was a result of said coyotes... I will sleep more soundly knowing she is protected from the disease.

Obviously not an issue in Toronto, I realize... but we live in a very remote area.

Belanas_mum
12-10-2009, 03:45 PM
this is rocky almost 8 months old now and my 8 yr old daughter.. he's 26 inches tall and 90 pds

What a beautiful boy!

Topper
12-10-2009, 03:59 PM
You can also tell he love the girl. :D

DaisyMae
12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Daisy will be 5 months old in a week, she weighs 40 lbs.

RoxysMom
12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Our Mario is 7 weeks old and 15 lbs. He seems like he is growing right before our eyes!

toyotaholland
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Rami is 4 months and weighs 43lbs

Andrea
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Luca turns one year on 01/08. She weighs about 80 lbs. now. I guess she'll be a more petite pyr

dsloveswva
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM
joy's birthday is may 24, 2008, which makes her about 19 months. she is about 96 pounds. her mom is about 140, her dad 180. that's almost 320 pounds of love! she was one of a litter of nine; still trying to post pics of
that. peace.

Tsunibear
12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Missy is 9 months and 91 lbs, though she doesn't look it. She looks scrawny and awkward right now.

Jewel
12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow, everybody's got big dogs! Bijou's 18 months and weighs about 75 lbs. She's a bit over 26 inches at the shoulder so she's within breed standard and while she's thin, she's not bone skinny. I am not starving her!! I remember her brother at 9 months was around 80 lbs.

toyotaholland
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
well Male dogs will get bigger than females. So i wouldnt worry

Bunchie
12-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I had Sam weighed and measured at the vet yesterday... he is 7 months old now and weighs 85 lbs. He is 25 inches at the withers... his dad and uncles were all 150 or more so he will probably get even bigger... cant wait!

toyotaholland
12-29-2009, 01:14 PM
150lbs....wow... I only thought they would max get up to 130
i hope mine gets big.

Milu
12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Ragingbull's George is 180 :)
I don't really care about size, I just hope his bone structure is sound.

toyotaholland
12-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey, did you just say your dog is 180 lbs......If that is what I was reading, wow......If you have pictures please send them to me, my email is Toyotaholland@Live.com

NH Romie
12-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Romie went to the vet last night and at 10 weeks old she is 20.5 lbs, she gained 9lbs in three weeks. Vet says she's doing great :)

bubs
12-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Is there any info online as to an average healthy weight gain/growth chart for the pups? Apollo was 50lbs at 4mo but always seems to be hungry! He gets about 6 cups of food a day and still looks kinda of gangly? Thanks!

Jewel
12-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi there! I have never seen an average weight/height chart for pyrs (but other might have), and I don't think they would work that well. Some lines of pyrs produce very large dogs, George and Joy's dad both at 180 lbs, while other lines aren't quite so big, like Bijou's dad, grandfather and various male relatives are around 110-120. Some lines grow slow and some lines grow fast.

Your pup's body condition would be the best measure. You should be able to feel your pup's ribs. However, if you can easily feel each rib the pup probably needs more food. A young pup or youg dog looking gangly is quite normal. Especially with a breed as large as a pyr, it is best to keep them on the thinner side while they are growing so not to overload their still developing bones.

lotus88
12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
We just got back from the vet today and at 13 weeks Hercules is 39 lbs :D I swear he grows mammothly everyday!!

Winterlude
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello Everyone,

Been lurking here since last spring and it's so informative to read everyone's posts. It'a amazing to see the varying sizes of everyone's pups. Each one is so beautiful in their own right. Our little ;) girl is just at seven months, and is somewhere in the sixty pound range right now. She stands at a bit over 24 inches and there are days she eats like a house on fire, others that she just nibbles at her food. She lets you know if and what she wants. <g> Thanks for all your shared information, everyone! Great Pyr reading!

dsloveswva
01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
hi--wanted to comment to lotus that we got joy at 7 1/2 weeks and 12 pounds in july '08, and there were some weeks where she gained 5 pounds a week. peace.

Milu
01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Welcome, Winterlude!

So we went to the vet today and at 4 and a 1/2 months Kuma weighs in at a whopping 57 pounds! I knew he was a big one, but I honestly did not expect him to weigh that much, I estimated that he weighed 45 pounds :eek: However, he isn't fat or even close to pudgy. He's rather scrawny and you can still feel his ribs and his legs are beyond gangly. He does have a enormous head though.
Anyways- the vet said she was very surprised at how healthy he was- she said a lot of the giant breed pups she sees don't get enough exercise. Hooray for good health!
These were taken today:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/KaiserMimiVII_2008/Kuma45months003-1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/KaiserMimiVII_2008/Kuma45months006.jpg
This last one was taken when he was exactly 4 months old. His head is almost the same size as mine, and I feel like I have an average sized noggin.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/KaiserMimiVII_2008/Kuma16weeks008-1.jpg

toyotaholland
01-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I weighed Ramissee a around 4 months and he weighe 43 lbs. My neighbor said he was a little under weight. So I made some changes in his dog food. I will weigh him again at 5 months on the 14th of this month to see how it has changed.

toyotaholland
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I have taught mine how to sit,shake,laydown,get off things,and to drop things out of his mouth when he is not suspose to have it. I use a spray bottle with water to not let him jump up and down on use when were out side. It ususally does not work when we tell him not to. Any advice on teaching them to stay for as long as I tell him to and not to get him to jump on us. Also he is a puppy so if were sitting down on the couch I really don't want him trying to nibble at us. Lol....I want him to be calm. Is this to much to ask at almost 5 months?

Dreamweaverrdc
01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
My Abbey is now 9 months old. I would say she comes in at between 90-95 lbs now. She is growing everyday!
Abbey knows sit, lay down, shake (with both paws) trying to get her to sit pretty now. She is now starting to play fetch with my corgi (McGee) and flat coat retriever mix (Gibbs).

Meaghan
01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
We have two pups (brothers) Sampson and Brutus... at 4 months they were 60 and 64 pounds, but now a month later I'm banking they weigh close to 80 pounds easily. Brutus is the bigger one but the baby for sure! Sampson on the other hand is the naughty, mischevious guy.... always looking for something to chew!!!

We love them to death though and they love each other, as well as my pugs and kitties too. Their father, Atlas, was HUGE so I hope they are big too. I walk them every morning, 2.2 miles, and at times it seems I have to coax them to keep going.

Right now though I'm trying to find a dog food that they like, is good for them and more importantly helps with the "end result".... They weren't too interested in Iams and they like Blue Buffalo but their stools are really loose....any suggestions?

The pic is from the night we brought them home... they were 12 weeks old.

Milu
01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm feeding Blue Buffalo too (I had to pick a chicken based product really quick after my pup was allergic to Solid Gold Wolfking) and I've noticed that Kuma has really loose stools as well. I just don't think it agrees with him somehow, at least he isn't biting his fur off. I supplement his meals with organic plain yogurt, raw bones and other protein and that's definitely helping. I think in a couple of months I will switch to a better quality food though, like Orijen.
They're really great looking, where'd you get them? :)

Autumn & Jax
01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a 3 &1/2 mo old pyr pup who weighs 32 lbs. He is healthy and active, eats good and the vet said he is fine. His parents were on the smaller end of the spectrum esp his mom. She was a little bigger than a golden retreiver. And how much exercise is enough at this age. I walk him about a mile & a half a day, split into two walks.

NH Romie
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM
We have two pups (brothers) Sampson and Brutus... at 4 months they were 60 and 64 pounds, but now a month later I'm banking they weigh close to 80 pounds easily. Brutus is the bigger one but the baby for sure! Sampson on the other hand is the naughty, mischevious guy.... always looking for something to chew!!!

We love them to death though and they love each other, as well as my pugs and kitties too. Their father, Atlas, was HUGE so I hope they are big too. I walk them every morning, 2.2 miles, and at times it seems I have to coax them to keep going.

Right now though I'm trying to find a dog food that they like, is good for them and more importantly helps with the "end result".... They weren't too interested in Iams and they like Blue Buffalo but their stools are really loose....any suggestions?

The pic is from the night we brought them home... they were 12 weeks old.
I've been feeding Romie Purnia One for large breed puppies. I know its not the high end stuff, but she eats it like a champ and her stools have been normal.

LewisDeary
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey doggiedoggirl, I have the exact same mix, a anatolian pyr mix, would luv to see pics of him/her. Has anyone heard of a brand of food called Evo?? It has a pic of bernese mountain dog on it...
I have an anatolian pyrenees mix, Lewis 9 months old, weighs about 105, just switched him to EVO 3 days ago, to early to tell how he does on it.

Trenary Ducks
01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
When I had my female pyr in to be spayed at sixteen weeks, she weighed 45 lbs. I feed her Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Large Breed Puppy kibble, a little canned dog food, kitchen scraps, and duck carcasses from slaughter.

Meaghan
01-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Your pup is adorable! He looks like our brood!!! We got ours in Napa, CA.... actually the day after my husband had to put his beloved Golden Retriever down... just bizarre circumstances but definitely fate! They were on a 2000 acre ranch and the woman was not a 'breeder', but happened to breed her two Pyr's ~ we got the only boys.

I was going to try EVO or actually Innova for puppy food, but my husband went to the store to buy the food and was talked into buying 'Professional' large breed puppy food instead.... not just one bag to try either, he came home with 4 (buy 3 get one free?!). Hopefully it's decent food, we'll see!

I walk my guys every morning around our ridge - hilly 2.2 miles, they are great for the most part but sometimes I feel like I'm pulling them up hill!

QUOTE=Milu]I'm feeding Blue Buffalo too (I had to pick a chicken based product really quick after my pup was allergic to Solid Gold Wolfking) and I've noticed that Kuma has really loose stools as well. I just don't think it agrees with him somehow, at least he isn't biting his fur off. I supplement his meals with organic plain yogurt, raw bones and other protein and that's definitely helping. I think in a couple of months I will switch to a better quality food though, like Orijen.
They're really great looking, where'd you get them? :)[/QUOTE]

Milu
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
If he's healthy, there's no reason to be worried about it. Some lines of pyrs are just smaller in size than other pyrs.

Milu
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Actually, that's why I asked where you got them- I get curious every time I see a pyr pup that is the same age as mine. It's not entirely far fetched- my breeder told me that she had brought pups from the litter to all around the US, so I never know where Kuma's siblings will turn up.

Andrea
01-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I feed her Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Large Breed Puppy kibble

So do I and I am very pleased with it. She eats it pretty well and her stool is not too soft and not too firm, just right. Actually Luca turned 1 year old today so I am thinking about switching to the Diamond Naturals Adult Large Breed Lamb and Rice.
I am still not sure about that, because people on here say this breed needs a higher level of protein and this one only got about 24%.

Any suggestions on that??

Trenary Ducks
01-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Actually Luca turned 1 year old today so I am thinking about switching to the Diamond Naturals Adult Large Breed Lamb and Rice.
I am still not sure about that, because people on here say this breed needs a higher level of protein and this one only got about 24%.

Any suggestions on that??

I don't have any. When the time comes I'll probably go to Diamond Naturals Adult Large Breed kibble also. My dog loves chopped up raw duck carcasses the best, though. She even gets cheap raw meaty chicken legs from Wal*Mart. Sometimes I'll pour a little duck grease into her kibble, and she will eat it with zest.

I keep telling her that she has a job with great benefits. :)

ad_mn81
01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey LewisDeary, Rochester MN here grew up in Edina so I'm familar w. Woodbury. Mine loves the EVO food, I heard food too rich in protein can cause problems so I mix EVO w/ Natural Balance. Anyway, where did u get your dog from? If it was from Scandia we have pups from the same litter :)

Autumn & Jax
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
u can build a dog house with a sideways hall before they get to the actual house. They are supposed to be really warm, just build the roof on a hinge so u can clean it out. Hay makes great cold weather bedding.

Autumn & Jax
01-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Check the labels on the diamond food. The regular Diamond puppy chow is higher in protein & my & my grandmas pyrs love it. Its a very small kibble but they like it

our*CinderELLIE
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
:) My husband and I brought our Ellie home at 8 weeks old (2 months), weighing 17 pounds. Now, she is 16 weeks old (4 months) and weighs 35 pounds. She has grown in height too now reaching 18 inches tall..although we are constantly worrying that she is too small and maybe not a pure bread. We adopted her from the SPCA in Roseville, CA so we're not sure. Also, she doesn't have double dew claws, just single ones. She was spayed at only 8 weeks old by the SPCA. Way too soon. Unfortunately we had no control over the matter. :( We are now feeding her 4 times a day, 2 cups a serving, as we learned only yesterday! Up until yesterday she got 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. hopefully we have not stunted her growth.

Is this typical for a female? what are your experiences?

Jewel
01-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Welcome Ellie and mom! A girl this time, yea! It seems more people own male dogs on the forum :p While you still can, pick her up and snuggle her often, because all too soon they get too big to pick up!!

8 weeks and 17 pounds for a female I would say is well within normal range. Bijou was 16 lbs at the same age. 16 weeks and 35 lbs sounds right too, Bijou was 30 lbs at 15 weeks. Did your vet say she's too thin? 8 cups a day for a 35 lb pup seems a lot??

There is a wide range in weight among the different lines of pyrs. Certain work lines produce very large dogs, males up to 180 lbs (George and Joy's dad :)) and females 100 lbs and up. Show lines dogs are generally not that big, males 110-125 lbs and females 85-100 lbs.

We expect Bijou to top out at about 85 lbs when full grown. Our first pyr, also a purebred, though from totally different lines than Bijou, stayed between 80-85 lbs as an adult.

Milu
01-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome!
Wow! 8 cups? That's a ton of food. But then again, I don't know what kind of food you are feeding her- lower quality food requires more to get the same nutrients.
Your girl is perfectly normal, and a cutie too! (hint: we would looove more pictures)
Hooray for shelter rescues!

tvonalt
02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Clarke had his vet visit today. He is 18 weeks and 51.8lbs. He is a tall boy with no chub :D -Thelma

Meaghan
02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Brutus has been limping, so my husband took him to the vet... he weighs 94.5 pounds and is just 6 months old... Sampson is close behind.

Typically I feed them 8-10 cups of food a day ~ we feed them Innova or Evo Adult large breed food... they are not "greedy" eaters either, which is so nice after my husband's last dog (golden ret.) was crazy about food!

Milu
02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow- 8-10 cups of food?!

tvonalt
02-02-2010, 04:55 AM
8-10 cups!! I am a happy camper when Clarke eats 4-5 cups a day!

Jewel
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
8-10 cups is quite a bit of food, especially as Evo is over 500 calories per cup. But then, if they are extremely active and does a lot of different activities everyday, then they may be able to handle that many calories. Though at 6 months you want to be careful about giving them too extreneous of exercise, such as jogging, as it may put too much pressure on their joints. Just make sure you can easily feel their ribs and hip bones, otherwise they may be carrying extra weight which is not ideal for their growing bones.

kimba's momma
02-02-2010, 10:51 PM
:) My husband and I brought our Ellie home at 8 weeks old (2 months), weighing 17 pounds. Now, she is 16 weeks old (4 months) and weighs 35 pounds. She has grown in height too now reaching 18 inches tall..although we are constantly worrying that she is too small and maybe not a pure bread. We adopted her from the SPCA in Roseville, CA so we're not sure. Also, she doesn't have double dew claws, just single ones. She was spayed at only 8 weeks old by the SPCA. Way too soon. Unfortunately we had no control over the matter. :( We are now feeding her 4 times a day, 2 cups a serving, as we learned only yesterday! Up until yesterday she got 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night. hopefully we have not stunted her growth.

Is this typical for a female? what are your experiences?
Ellie is Beautiful love her sooo cute.my kimba also a female pyreness weighed 12 pounds at 6 weeks old.when we first brought her home.now she was at the vet at 6 months old and weighed 65.9 pounds.we're not real sure if shes a pure bred pyr either as they're was another male dog on the farm we got her from and he was a merrama sheep dog.they had him and the male and female pyreness and some of my kimba's sibblings had blue eyes too.and the male sheep dog also had blue eyes but my kimba does not.I don't think shes that big or big enough for a pure bred pyreness but who knows.good luck with ellie...

mom2two06
02-05-2010, 06:36 AM
When we took them to be fixed, we found out they were younger than we originally thought. Vet said at that time they were less than 3 months and they weighed 30 (Panda) and 38 (Bandit). Just took them in last week, which would make them just under 4 months. Bandit was 53lbs and I missed Panda's weight while trying to manage kids and dogs. :)

GPGoldie
02-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Liberty is 12 weeks, and weighs 35 lbs. She feels lean, but I think she is tall for her age.

Here she is with our 8 yr-old Shih Tzu, Gracie:
http://i49.tinypic.com/iw0ugn.jpg

We don't feed her puppy food, for fear of her growing too fast. She gets canidae, with added olive oil or drippings from meat I cook, and a raw egg every couple of days.

Milu
02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
She is really tall! It sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of her. Post more pictures!

GPGoldie
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Milu. :)

You better not get me started on pictures! LOL I think I have more of her and my Shih Tzu than my teenaged sons. :o

Seriously, I'll be posting a couple of youtube videos of them in another thread soon, as I have a question about their relationship. ;)

Milu
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Ohh! Vids would be great- we don't really see any of those. Your Shih Tzu better enjoy the pyr's small size while it lasts- they'll never be close in statue every again! I'm like you- there are more pictures in my camera of my boy than of my fiance or immediate family.

erikavonb
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a 14 week pyr and she currently weighs 32lbs. I can feel her ribs, but she seems healthy. Cali sleeps about 4 hours during the day (spaced out between a few naps) and all night long. She eats 5 cups of dry food per day and lots of treats (milkbone type, and homemade wheat bran & carrot biscuits). My neighbor owns her sister, and Cali is much bigger than her, by like 5-6lbs and an inch taller. But I still feel like I need to feed her more. I read another post that says they should eat 7-8 cups per day, but that seems like alot. She walks with me every day about a mile and she seems to be doing well. Cali does have a pretty bad over-bite. It's not affecting her eating, but she snores ALOT. Just wondering if I should change anything in her routine. This is the first Pyr we've ever had.

Milu
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Quality of food plays a big role in how many cups a pup needs to eat. If you are feeding low quality food (the kind most commonly found at grocery stores) and it contains mostly fillers, then 7-8 cups would be the amount it takes to fulfill her nutritional needs. However, if you're feeding a good quality large breed food (dogfoodanalysis.com is a pretty good site that compares foods of all quality) and you feel like your pup is healthy, there isn't too much to be worried about.

fluffylove
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Again, stop worrying about the weights, pups from out crossed litters WILL be very different, and you can't predict what you will get, which I am sure your breeder did. Make sure she is 'having fun' and doesn't have worms, other than that, let it go, seriously. People worry far too much. Pups should not be fat, shoudl be lean, feel the ribs etc. They are not labs.

Jewel
02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree with fluffylove. If you can feel the pup's ribs without feeling the hollow between each individual rib, and the pup's hip bones and back bone's aren't jutting out of its skin, then the pup is fine. You want the pup to gain weight on a steady basis, but you do not want the pup to be overweight. During extreme growth spurts, the pup can look pretty gangly, that is pretty normal.

erikavonb
02-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Fluffylove, what are out crossed litters? I've never heard that term before.

kristenleigh127
02-10-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a nine month old male pyrenees and he weighs about 95-100 pounds. I work at a specialty pet store so I can compare a lot of the foods out there and decided on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy. Its amazing. He loves it, his coat is beautiful and his energy just where it should be. I guess with a good large breed puppy formula it slows down the growth of the dog to give every aspect of the developing body a chance to reach its full potential. Pretty cool, huh?

lovely mornings
02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
My husband took a snow day and carried the big guy to the van as he was trying to lay down in protest 3 feet from the open door.. ugh....

He is 29 inches at the withers 36 to top of head AT 2 plus years.
He weighs 95 lbs which I think is still a bit thin because I can feel his spine still.
But he has filled out since we have been feeding him and is no where near as thin as he was a few weeks ago.

The doctor said he thought his weight was good and that he felt good to him.
He thought he was a beautiful dog and said he had never met a pyr he did not like. :D

Does 95 lbs sound about right? or could he use a few more lbs. for his size.

I took pix a couple of minutes ago, so this is what he looks like now.
I gave him a bath yesterday for the first time as well.

heyitstay
02-21-2010, 05:44 PM
kujo went to petsmart with me today and weighed in at 66 pounds, at 5 and a half months. He loves petsmart, only because he gets to show himself off and stare down the hamsters lol:)

Davey Benson
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Mine weighed in this morning at 47 lbs for the female, and 49 lbs for the male. They are right at about 20 weeks (5 months).

isabellak
02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Lily is 10 weeks old and 17 pounds.

Autumn & Jax
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Jax is 55 lbs at 4 1/2 months. He is a big boy

toyotaholland
02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I took rami to get nutered last week and he was 6 months and 2 days and weighed 65 lbs... so he's gained little over 10 lbs a month

Meaghan
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Our pups are at the vet right now... we're neutered this morning. They are a week shy of 7 months old; Brutus is our bigger guy weighing in at 105.5 and Sampson is 95.5.

Brutus was also going to be x-rayed as his left, front shoulder is causing him to limp. More than likely the vet thought that it may be a piece of cartelidge that had broken off and floating around - guess we'll find out if he'll need surgery to remove, but we're pretty sure he will ~ anything at this point to get him more comfortable.

They've become such a "huge" (ha ha! literally!) part of our lives... they are such love sponges and we love them so much!!!

kimba's momma
02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
I took rami to get nutered last week and he was 6 months and 2 days and weighed 65 lbs... so he's gained little over 10 lbs a month
wow!!! hes a big boy.when I took my kimba in to get spade, she then weighed in at 55 pounds at 5.5 months old.shes now 10 months old and I'm not sure how much she has gained.shes not real tall yet but bulky looking.shes almost as big as my kuvasz boy is.hes 2.5 yrs old and weighs 125 pounds....

kimba's momma
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Our pups are at the vet right now... we're neutered this morning. They are a week shy of 7 months old; Brutus is our bigger guy weighing in at 105.5 and Sampson is 95.5.

Brutus was also going to be x-rayed as his left, front shoulder is causing him to limp. More than likely the vet thought that it may be a piece of cartelidge that had broken off and floating around - guess we'll find out if he'll need surgery to remove, but we're pretty sure he will ~ anything at this point to get him more comfortable.

They've become such a "huge" (ha ha! literally!) part of our lives... they are such love sponges and we love them so much!!!
sheesh brutus and sampson are huge at only 7 months old and tipping the scales at that much already.my kimba only weighed 55 pounds at 5.5 months old when I took her in to get fixed.shes not real tall as of yet and not sure if she'll get much taller.but shes bulky and now is 10 months old and I'm not sure how much shes weighing in at now.shes almost caught up to height with my kuvasz.shes a few inches shorter but slowly catching up...hes tall and lanky almost as tall as a great dane but he only weighs 125 pounds or so.I would love to see your boys.I'll bet they are big beautiful giants...hugs for them and hope their surgey went well...

kimba's momma
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
My husband took a snow day and carried the big guy to the van as he was trying to lay down in protest 3 feet from the open door.. ugh....

He is 29 inches at the withers 36 to top of head AT 2 plus years.
He weighs 95 lbs which I think is still a bit thin because I can feel his spine still.
But he has filled out since we have been feeding him and is no where near as thin as he was a few weeks ago.

The doctor said he thought his weight was good and that he felt good to him.
He thought he was a beautiful dog and said he had never met a pyr he did not like. :D

Does 95 lbs sound about right? or could he use a few more lbs. for his size.

I took pix a couple of minutes ago, so this is what he looks like now.
I gave him a bath yesterday for the first time as well.
hes Beautiful and looks good to me at his weight 95 pounds.I have a great pyr female.she weighed in at 55 pounds at 5.5 months old.my kuvasz/lab cross weighed in at 17 pounds at just 6 weeks of age.he was a big boy when he was a pup.hes now 2.5 yrs old and is tall and lanky almost the height of a great dane and 125 pounds...my boy looks kinda thin but my vet said hes looking great to him,when I asked him bout my pyr pup weighing 55 pounds at 5.5 months old he said for a female that is pretty good.I don't know much bout weights with the pyreness's but think you're boy looks great.I do think my female is kinda small for a pyreness though,but my vet said shes bout right for a girl...kisses n hugs for you're big boy...

Meaghan
02-27-2010, 05:57 PM
sheesh brutus and sampson are huge at only 7 months old and tipping the scales at that much already.my kimba only weighed 55 pounds at 5.5 months old when I took her in to get fixed.shes not real tall as of yet and not sure if she'll get much taller.but shes bulky and now is 10 months old and I'm not sure how much shes weighing in at now.shes almost caught up to height with my kuvasz.shes a few inches shorter but slowly catching up...hes tall and lanky almost as tall as a great dane but he only weighs 125 pounds or so.I would love to see your boys.I'll bet they are big beautiful giants...hugs for them and hope their surgey went well...

Thanks so much! Surgery was done and they are back to their routines! Guess they took Sampson first and Brutus barked the whole time... the office must have enjoyed that ~ he's the "barker" and loud too. Apparently Brutus has a problem in both front shoulders (left worse than the right) so we're taking him to the surgeon on Tuesday (with xrays) to discuss the surgery. It's orthoscopic and they'll do both at the same time....poor guy, but whatever is necessary to get him comfortable and able to go for walks.

I guess our boys are big....when we first brought them home, I knew Brutus would be big because he was such a tank, but Sampson has really filled out. Their father, Atlas, is huge but mama seemed to me, to be on the smaller side. At first I was feeding them Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy but have switched to Innove Large Breed Adult - to get their stool solid (gross, but true!). They are kind of indifferent to their food.... would much rather eat the "weight control" pug food?!

I'm thinking maybe their growth will taper off, but who knows.... my husband jokes about getting a double harness cart to have them tote around!

Here are a couple pics... last one is when we first brought them home at 12 weeks and the first two were taken I think on 2/15/10.... Brutus loves the bed.. the couch... chairs - even if he doesn't fit!

Brutus is on the left in each photo and Sam on the right (the floor in one). Brutus is the big baby and Sampson the trouble maker!

kimba's momma
02-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks so much! Surgery was done and they are back to their routines! Guess they took Sampson first and Brutus barked the whole time... the office must have enjoyed that ~ he's the "barker" and loud too. Apparently Brutus has a problem in both front shoulders (left worse than the right) so we're taking him to the surgeon on Tuesday (with xrays) to discuss the surgery. It's orthoscopic and they'll do both at the same time....poor guy, but whatever is necessary to get him comfortable and able to go for walks.

I guess our boys are big....when we first brought them home, I knew Brutus would be big because he was such a tank, but Sampson has really filled out. Their father, Atlas, is huge but mama seemed to me, to be on the smaller side. At first I was feeding them Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy but have switched to Innove Large Breed Adult - to get their stool solid (gross, but true!). They are kind of indifferent to their food.... would much rather eat the "weight control" pug food?!

I'm thinking maybe their growth will taper off, but who knows.... my husband jokes about getting a double harness cart to have them tote around!

Here are a couple pics... last one is when we first brought them home at 12 weeks and the first two were taken I think on 2/15/10.... Brutus loves the bed.. the couch... chairs - even if he doesn't fit!

Brutus is on the left in each photo and Sam on the right (the floor in one). Brutus is the big baby and Sampson the trouble maker!
they are beautiful great pictures.I also have a white german shepherd from a bad breeder.hes had trouble first when a puppy with his front legs and now at almost 4 yrs old its his back legs.I've had him to several vets in the past and also now.and the x-rays said he had dwarfish some type of bone deformity.they wanted me to have him put to sleep.and that was not an option no way....with pain meds and special food he grew out of the problem with his front legs but now hes having trouble with the back ones.they also told me he wouldn't live past a year old.they told me I'd have to have him put to sleep by the time he was a year old.so we're taking him back to the vet this week to see whats going on with his back legs now.he was also attacked by a saint bernard as a puppy and that caused back injuries.I'm glad the surgery went well with your dog...take care....wish me luck with my shepherd....

Meaghan
02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Wow ~ I hope you get some encouraging news at the vet for your shepard.... it's so hard with these animals... they become your children. Actually the day before we got our pyr pups, we had to put my husband's golden retriever down... (he had him before we married). Spinner was an awesome dog - had tplo on his right hind leg with great results, then a year later was having the left done, but the surgeon found a cancerous lump in the joint. A week later we had his left hind leg removed. He was great for about 6 months and then one day went completely blind.... 4 days later we had to put him down. He was my husband's first dog and having to go through this (for the first time) at 54 was so difficult for him... the pups have really eased his sorrow though - it's hard to be so sad when you've got 2 puppies begging for your attention!

Anyway, my heart goes out to you and I'm sending you good vibes and prayers for you and your pup!

kimba's momma
03-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Wow ~ I hope you get some encouraging news at the vet for your shepard.... it's so hard with these animals... they become your children. Actually the day before we got our pyr pups, we had to put my husband's golden retriever down... (he had him before we married). Spinner was an awesome dog - had tplo on his right hind leg with great results, then a year later was having the left done, but the surgeon found a cancerous lump in the joint. A week later we had his left hind leg removed. He was great for about 6 months and then one day went completely blind.... 4 days later we had to put him down. He was my husband's first dog and having to go through this (for the first time) at 54 was so difficult for him... the pups have really eased his sorrow though - it's hard to be so sad when you've got 2 puppies begging for your attention!

Anyway, my heart goes out to you and I'm sending you good vibes and prayers for you and your pup!
that's so sad bout his golden.my first dog was an alaskan malmute and luckily I had him 16 wonderful years.he had a severe stroke back in march 2006 and I sadly had to have him put to sleep as well.then I got my shepherd and havn't had anything but bone troubles with him.the poor guy thanks for the prayers.my great pyr kimba's pictures are on here under kimba's momma.shes much bigger then my white shep and her fur is so long now and beautiful....we're taking my shepherd into the vet sometime this week.right now we are snowed in again and my dogs love it but we don't..lol.take care....so sorry bout you're husbands golden

kimba's momma
03-01-2010, 01:47 AM
that's so sad bout his golden.my first dog was an alaskan malmute and luckily I had him 16 wonderful years.he had a severe stroke back in march 2006 and I sadly had to have him put to sleep as well.then I got my shepherd and havn't had anything but bone troubles with him.the poor guy thanks for the prayers.my great pyr kimba's pictures are on here under kimba's momma.shes much bigger then my white shep and her fur is so long now and beautiful....we're taking my shepherd into the vet sometime this week.right now we are snowed in again and my dogs love it but we don't..lol.take care....so sorry bout you're husbands golden
you should come join the daily puppy.com all 7 of my dogs are on this site and its a nice place for dog lovers....

tvonalt
03-01-2010, 12:52 PM
5 months 9 days - 63lbs.

I am surpised I thought he weighed less and that the hair was just adding to his buk. aparently he has grown more this month then I had realized.

Cybil
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Thor weighed 18lbs at 9wks.

llundquist
03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
7 months 58 lbs. Sugar is just a petite girl I guess! Her coat is getting long and thick and she is healthy so that is all that matters. Such a sweet and lovable ball of fur. :)

Kaspyr
03-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Everyone! This is my first post, but I have been reading and re-reading all posts for the past month! We brought our first Pyr puppy home 3 weeks ago.
When we got Kash at 10 Weeks he weighed 18lbs. He is now 13 weeks old and 26 lbs. After reading everyone elses puppy weights I think he may be at the low end of the scale. He seems to be just right for his size though, not too chubby or too thin! Thanks for all the great posts on this website, extremely helpful!!!

Davey Benson
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Congratulations on the new GP puppy. They will grow on you...(sorta like a wart) :D

nick's spirit
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Congratulations on Kaspyr....love the name and the spelling!!
And if you think he looks just right for his size..then he is. What made you decide on a Pyr? They can be great dogs, a bit frustrating at times with their stubborness, but they can also be very goofy, sweet, protective and loving.
Looking forward to hearing more about Kaspyr!!
Nancy & Holly

Kaspyr
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks! I considered several differant breeds before deciding on the Great Pyr. We are building a home out in the middle of nowhere. I am a city girl and was a little nervous about not having neighbors close by.....so, I needed a protective dog that would look intimidating and still be great with my 3 young children! Plus we have 3 pet pygmy goats, so the Pyrs ability to protect livestock is a great bonus!

Autumn & Jax
03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Took Jax to get his rabies shot yesterday. He's doing good, no reaction. According to the "official" vet scale he is 55.7lbs. Makes me think my bathroom scale is pretty accurate as he weighed 55 lbs on it.

grtpyrlvr
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
We have owned Pyr's all our life and recently added a Pyr mix to the family. Not exactly sure what she is mixed with but she is going to be a fair good size girl I think. From what the vet thinks she is about 4 months old and 35 lbs and 17 inches tall at the withers.

GPGoldie
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
In my first post, I posted that Liberty was 12 weeks and 35 lbs, but that was wrong - probably bad math - she was most likely 25 lbs, because a week later, the vet weighed her at 28 lbs. :o

She just hit her 16 week marker today (she is probably a week or two older - still trying to find out the day of her birth), so I weighed and measured her today.

So at 16-18 weeks, she's a tall and gangly 36 lbs and 20" at the withers. (21" at the hips. Last week, they were level. So funny to watch her morph.)

ShantiaColes2005
03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Our baby Angle Marie is 10 months old and weighed 51.6 pounds at the vets office last week she keeps growing. But, right now she's not feeling too good shes feeling a little sick.

Kaspyr
03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Kash went to the vet today. At 14 weeks he weighs 29.5 lbs. So in 4 weeks he gained 11.5lb. Does that seem like an okay weight gain?

TexasKat
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Scout's just back from the vet. 8.5 months... 83 pounds. He's pretty solid, but not fat. Bathing him the other night, I was quite surprised at how slim he was under all that white fuzz.

Sorry I've been sort of distracted (and posting a lot) 'cos Gypsy is at the vet's getting spayed -- I'm very distracted and nervous that everything will go well. I haven't been able to get ANYTHING done today at work.

john86a
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I've been curious about this. I've been keeping track of Juneau's weight just for comparison's sake. He's going back to the vet in another month so I'll update his info then.

Age (weeks) - Weight (lbs)

10 - 17 lbs
13 - 31 lbs
17 - 44 lbs

Seems pretty much on par with the mid-range for this thread. The jump from 10 weeks to 13 weeks was pretty shocking as I'm new the breed, but it seems typical.
________
Live *** (http://live***webshows.com/)

fluffylove
03-09-2010, 12:08 PM
That's pretty much what my male was at the time. Mine is now around 95lbs or so. Slower growth is better than fast.

TexasKat
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm officially shocked. My little Gypsy is back from the vet's and she weighs 77 pounds. She's quite a bit shorter than Scout, but only a week younger. I expected her to weigh 65 lbs. Not sure where it all is, since she's at least as slim as Scout under all that fur.

DaisyMae
03-10-2010, 07:26 AM
At 7.5 months old Daisy weighed 53 lbs. She got spayed a week ago and is back to her crazy ol self. She wont be the biggest and were fine with that. We offer her food twice a day, sometimes she eats a lot sometimes a little we let her decide how much she will eat. If she doesn't want to eat we dont worry about it.

kimba's momma
03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
At 8.5 months old Daisy weighed 53 lbs. She got spayed a week ago and is back to her crazy ol self. She wont be the biggest and were fine with that. We offer her food twice a day, sometimes she eats a lot sometimes a little we let her decide how much she will eat. If she doesn't want to eat we dont worry about it.
my kimba weighed 55 pounds at 5 months old when i took her in to get spade.the spay didn't seem to bother her any at all.she did however rip her E-collar off and tore it to pieces.and she chewed her stitches out so I had to take her back into the vet right away.but he said it would heal up on its own and it did.shes not the tallest pry but she sure is getting bulky though.my girl is wormed once a month and treated for fleas too.and let me tell you she will eat as much as you put in front if her face.she is a hog she gets 2 small meals a day.we give her 3 cups in the morning and 3 in the evening along with some treats throughout the day.and she is always ready for more vittles no matter what.lol.guess I just have a pig pyreness...lol. gonna take her in again soon to see what her weight is now.as she is going on 11 months now...

Davey Benson
04-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Just got back from the vet this morning. Took the entire goof troop there. The only reason the GP's went was to get a nice 6 month weigh in for them.

Sissy Girl (sister) weighed in at 62

Polar Bear (brother) weighed in at 64

I'm not supprised, since he is physically just a little bit bigger than his sister is now.

Kaspyr
04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Kash got his last set of puppy shots at the vet today. At 18 weeks he is 43 lbs. That was a big jump in weight these past 4 weeks. 13.5 lbs gained!

Cybil
04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
At 14wks my little guy weighed in at 32lbs. This is my first Great Pyr and it's amazing to see how quickly he's growing. He gained 14lbs in 4wks. Crazy. I wanted a big dog and it looks like he'll be one! :p

Amatrine
04-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Im kinda worried, now mind you I did pick the runt, but he had the best personality. I had pick of the liter and picked the runt, my husband wanted to kill me , but he had the personality I was looking for.

He went for his vet today. Shots, wormer, heart guard. He is 6 weeks, and only weighs 8 pounds. The vet said he is on the thin side, but is healthy as can be.

I think maybe it is just because he is the runt and maybe did not get enough food from mom? He is the mellow guy so maybe the liter bullied him away from the tit. He is eating well here. Hopefully at his next two week visit he has put on some pounds!

His mom was only 90 and father was 110 so he probably will not be the biggest guy anyway. His parents had a WONDERFUL disposition though, and that is what I want over size.

ad_mn81
04-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd pick disposition over size anyday of the week that ends in "Y". My dog Ace is 1year and only weighs about 103lbs, but is healthy and happy so thats all that I care about!

heyitstay
04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
don't worry about your dog being the runt! We have the pick of the litter and the runt, from the same litter and the runt has caught up pretty much, he is only a little behind the pick. Runts just have different growth spurts, but he will catch up. Our friends have a runt from small parents and he is 130 pounds at 4 years!

on another note kujo and kieran are now 7 months old.
kujo (the pick) weighs 97 pounds
kieran (the runt) weighs 89 pounds.

big boys, great personalities(:

mimihen
04-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Hello Everyone,

My name is Kimberly and I am new to this site. I have a new Great Pyrenees puppy named Bella. I live in N.E. Ohio and we got her from a Boer Goat farm in the lower part of the state. She is 12 weeks old and we brought her home when she was 6 weeks old. She went to the vet on 4/6 for her 1st check-up/shots and I told her doc that I thought she is on the small side. She weighed 18 pounds then and she is 21 pounds now. The doc said she is a little on the small side, but she would rather see puppies underweight vs. overweight. Okay, does this sound like she is small to you guys/gals? I've read that girls can sometimes be smaller than boys, but I just think she is too small. We feed her Purina Puppy Chow because that is what she ate on the farm and give her 1 1/2 cups 4 times a day. If we give her anymore, she throws up, but sometimes she seems like she is just plain starving. We give her puppy treats during the day too. We just love her so much & I might be worrying for no reason. She goes back to the vet on May 6 for her second set of shots & the doc said she may double her weight in the month between appointments---it just doesn't seem like it to me. I didn't think to ask the people oh the farm where we got her is she was the runt in the litter or not because we had a dog who was the runt in his litter and he ended up being small for his breed. Can you tell me what you think and give me any advice that you might have? I'm sorry this post is so long, but I am a little worried. Thank you so much for your time...

Peace & Puppy Kisses...

grtpyrlvr
04-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Honestly that does not sound underweight. I am pretty sure around 8 weeks our pure bred pyrs were about 20lbs. We have always kept our pyrs on the leaner side because of their hips. Without extra weight their hips do not take the beating that they might if the dog was overweight. I would just keep an eye on her weight over the next month or so. If she is gaining then she is doing good ;)

DaisyMae
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Im kinda worried, now mind you I did pick the runt, but he had the best personality. I had pick of the liter and picked the runt, my husband wanted to kill me , but he had the personality I was looking for.

He went for his vet today. Shots, wormer, heart guard. He is 6 weeks, and only weighs 8 pounds. The vet said he is on the thin side, but is healthy as can be.

I think maybe it is just because he is the runt and maybe did not get enough food from mom? He is the mellow guy so maybe the liter bullied him away from the tit. He is eating well here. Hopefully at his next two week visit he has put on some pounds!

His mom was only 90 and father was 110 so he probably will not be the biggest guy anyway. His parents had a WONDERFUL disposition though, and that is what I want over size.

Dont stress about your pups weight, my girl Daisy was the runt and weighed about 5 lbs at her 7 week checkup. She also had worms when we got her so thats probably why she was so small but now she is healthy and is the best dog that we have ever had. I think when she turns 2 she will get up to about 80-90 lbs. She turns 9 months in 10 days and probably weighs about 60 lbs maybe 65 at the most. Everyone always ask me if she is a white golden lol.

LewisDeary
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Lewis will turn a year on tax day, and he weighs 124 pounds, We bathed him last night and it amazes me how lean he is under all that fur, He has definetly building some nice muscle!
We also brought home a Pyrenees/Husky two months ago, She was the runt of the litter, got her at 9 weeks, she was weak, had worms, and only wieghed 8 pounds. Now at 17 weeks she is 27 pounds of solid muscle, and she is alpha (or thinks she is)anywhere we bring her. So I believe yes runts start out behind the growing curve of the other littermates, they will catch up, Even though I got the runt, I would not be suprised if she would have been alpha over the rest of her litter mates, Oh and yes she even boss's Lewis around, (but I think he would put her in her place if he wanted too!)

Jewel
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree whole heartedly with ad_mn81 and Amatrine that disposition should be the #1 criteria.

mimihen, are you worried that your pup is underweight from a health point of view or that she might not grow up to be a 130 lb female? I should think that your vet would have told you if your pup is clinically underweight. If your vet is not concerned then you probably have no reason to worry. As for her size at maturity, does it truly make a difference on how you would love her if she's 85lbs as opposed to 110 lbs? ;) Moreover, a 85 lb, 25" female pyr would be right within the correct size under the breed standards.

I've come across so many pyr owners who proudly tell me that their pyrs are "huge", 130, 140, 150, 160 lbs. What I've actually seen in a number of these cases are quite overweight dogs. Heavier means only more propensity to health problems, it is not in the best interest of the dog.

I have 22 month female. She was about 17 lbs at 8-9 wks. She is now 26" at the withers and about 72 lbs. She's undoubtedly thin but she's quite healthy and full of energy and moves beautifully. That's more important to me than how much she weighs. :)

Tsunibear
04-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Missy is 27 1/2" tall at the withers currently and only weighs 95 lbs which she has weighed for well over two months now. She turned a year old on March 11th and from the looks of it is still growing. She is a mutt so I don't know what to expect from her. Her mother and grandmother were both pure bred Great Pyrenees and both were 27" at the withers and 100lbs. Her dad was a Bernese Mountain Dog and he was at least 30" at the withers and at least 110lbs. So when I brought Missy into my family it was like picking a surprise goodie bag from a party. At least with her Mom's side of the family there are no surprises I was offered to meet Grandpa and siblings, all of them were working dogs and were darn good at it too from what I got to see. They all had full thick beautiful coats and were really healthy. Missy's litter was an accident though the neighbors dog got to her mom and bam there was Missy's litter. Dad was a cart puller though and guarded the house. I remember driving past him on my way to see Missy and saying to my boyfriend "Now that is a big dog." Missy would look so much bigger if she had a full thick coat but since it just started growing back in she currently looks like a Golden Retriever mix.

Davey Benson
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
... The doc said she is a little on the small side, but she would rather see puppies underweight vs. overweight. Okay, does this sound like she is small to you guys/gals? I've read that girls can sometimes be smaller than boys, but I just think she is too small. We feed her Purina Puppy Chow because that is what she ate on the farm and give her 1 1/2 cups 4 times a day. If we give her anymore, she throws up, but sometimes she seems like she is just plain starving. We give her puppy treats during the day too. We just love her so much & I might be worrying for no reason...

Don't appoligize for writing long posts, reading is good exersize.

I have also read that females GP's tend to be smaller than males do.

My two puppies are just a hair over 6 months old now. When I got them they were on Purina puppy chow, but I transitioned them over to Science Diet Large Breed puppy formula dog food. I've heard that it's better to feed the puppys a large breed formula dog food when they hit their growth spurt so their joints and bones grow at a proper rate with the rest of their body. My dogs currently polish off 4 cups of food a day each. (I use a quart pyrex measuring cup and divide half that twice a day into their two bowls) Even at that amount they are growing quite well, and maintaning a healthy weight.

Great Pyrenees generally don't eat untill they bust like some breeds can. Just keep an eye on their gut and belly, make sure you can see some rib definition. If they are shaped like a barrel then they are over weight, and if you can see their spinal bones, they are under weight. A lot of people let GP's just self feed, but if they don't get a ton of excersize it's easy for them to start accumulating some excess baggage. Then you just cut them back a bit on the food.

Also don't fret too much about their size, from what I have seen of this breed, they can very quite a bit in size from one parrent to the next. My first Great Pyrenees was a very large framed girl. If she would have lived she would have been easily in excess of 130, I don't know if these two pups will break 110. But like everyone else says, being healthy is more inportant than being a fat giant. :p

suttongal
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I was at the vet last week for Chloe and asked if Hurley could come in for weighing. I shocked that he only weighed 92lbs at 15 months. His last weight was 90lbs at 9 months. So he has only gained 2lbs in 6 months. He is 31" at the shoulders and I can feel his ribs and spine, but I thought he was a least 110 lbs. My dogs get a off leash run every morning for 1 hour and 1 hour leash walk in the evening. The vet assistant said that male dogs that aren't fixed, seemed to have large heads and leaner bodies. I do plan to get him fixed soon. I know he is healthy, but I would like to fatten him a little, so I don't feel the ribs and spine. Any suggestions?

lilylove
04-15-2010, 07:48 AM
lily is 7 1/2 weeks and 11.5 pounds. she has hookworms and roundworms though, so hopefully once she gets all those out she'll put some weight on. found a six inch worm in her poo this morning BLECH

Jewel
04-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Poor Lily! Hookworms can be very bad for young puppies. Hope she will recover soon!!

Hurley's mom, from what I've seen, it is not unusual for an intact male to stay pretty thin. With the testosterone, they seem to more intense and thus have higher metabolism. What do you feed him now? If you up his food, would he eat more? At 15 months he's still a teenager and, like humans, sometimes teenagers just don't gain weight no matter how much food they eat!!

lilylove
04-15-2010, 08:33 AM
lily gets 1/2 cup of wellness large breed puppy and 1/3 can of natural balance canned food 3x a day. she was getting purina puppy chow before i got her. i'm thinking about adding some yogurt to her diet because she has puppy vaginitis, i've heard that plain low fat organic is the best to feed. sometimes she gobbles it up and sometimes she isn't interested and we put it in the fridge and try again later. if she eats all her food i usually give her more until she's full.
love this forum so much :] its so nice to know all the people out here with pyrs are willing to help

Amatrine
04-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Arn't those wormies so grose,lol I have not seen any worms in this guys poo, even after deworming, but I had a foster once that had tape worm. That gave me the heebie jeebies,lol

He is already starting to pick up weight and get more feisty. My dachshund is afraid of him, not sure what to do about that. The other dogs are fine, and he ignores the cats.

Topper
04-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Harry is 8 years old as of today he weighs 105.9 lbs.
He is at the vet today getting his teeth cleaned and a couple pulled and a couple of big bumps removed.:)

suttongal
04-15-2010, 12:59 PM
So true Jewel.........My son is 15 and keeps getting taller and thinner. I feed raw and I also make doggie stew with ground beef, rice, eggs, carrots, turnip and spinach. I always keep kibble out for extra, but the kibble is only eaten once or twice a week.

Davey Benson
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
So true Jewel.........My son is 15 and keeps getting taller and thinner. I feed raw and I also make doggie stew with ground beef, rice, eggs, carrots, turnip and spinach. I always keep kibble out for extra, but the kibble is only eaten once or twice a week.

ROFL!!!

Thanks alot Suttongal, I just spit energy drink on my computer screen. :D

Feeding your teenager raw and doggie stew? it's no wonder that your son is tall and skinny. :eek: I'm supprised he even touches the kibble, but then again, kids will eat about anything.

...The vet assistant said that male dogs that aren't fixed, seemed to have large heads and leaner bodies. I do plan to get him fixed soon. I know he is healthy, but I would like to fatten him a little, so I don't feel the ribs and spine. Any suggestions?

If you plan on getting the dog fixed soon, the weight issue will take care of itself.

Amatrine
04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
My guy is already putting on the pounds. As I suspected, being the runt i think he was pushed away. He is getting heavier every day!

lilylove
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
lily is 11.8 lbs this morning! she's growing like a weed, i swear sometimes i think she grows during a two hour nap.
-kirsten

Amatrine
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Well Rooster just got his second shots. He is 8 weeks and 14 and a half pounds. He gained 5 pounds in a week.

lilylove
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
lily's vaginitis seems to be getting worse, but she got her second set of dewormers last week and has been PACKING on the pounds. she's 15 lbs @ 9 weeks (and a couple days). im interested to see how much faster her weight gain and growth is now that she is (hopefully) worm free. and i'm also hoping the vet has some sort of treatment for her next week for her vaginitis.

grtpyrlvr
04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
lily's vaginitis seems to be getting worse, but she got her second set of dewormers last week and has been PACKING on the pounds. she's 15 lbs @ 9 weeks (and a couple days). im interested to see how much faster her weight gain and growth is now that she is (hopefully) worm free. and i'm also hoping the vet has some sort of treatment for her next week for her vaginitis.

aww poor thing!! So young to go through all of that! Sounds like she is growing pretty good :)

King
04-28-2010, 03:43 PM
King is 9 wks. old he is great pyrenees and anatolian shepherd is weighs 19.7 lbs...

albert
04-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Now he's 130 at 2.5 yrs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEoLOyE3i1w

nick's spirit
04-29-2010, 06:54 PM
What a handsome, loveable guy Albert is!!
And "mommy" has a great sense of humor...Albert not only taking up the majority of the bed, but interrupting her nap too!!
Thanks for sharing that...really loved it.
And welcome to the forum...let's see more of that boy!
Nancy & Holly

lilylove
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
lily is 10 weeks and a couple days and weighs in at 18.2 pounds tonight. the vet gave me another dose of dewormer on friday just to be safe and i have to flush her vagina out every day with 10 cc of a nolvasan water mix. seems like a really harsh thing to flush with...but hopefully it will put a stop to the vaginitis and it's preferable to antibiotics as far as i'm concerned. anyone had experience with this?

Chicag0_Red
05-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Hank was 50.2 lbs at his 4 month checkup.. And yeah you can almost see them grow while they are sleeping... LOL

He put on 17 1/2 lbs between his 3 month and 4 month checkups. We'll see what he weighs @ 5 months in a couple of weeks.

_Red

Amatrine
05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Doc is 9 and a half weeks. Here is a pic of his first kong today.
He is weighing in at about 18 pounds rite now.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs545.snc3/29839_391920359905_508254905_3845405_1856213_n.jpg

Chicag0_Red
05-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Doc is looking good there. It is amazing how fast they grow. Almost as fast as they worm their way into our hearts.
How wide are his paws?

_Red

grtpyrlvr
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
I love the Video!!! Looks like our house LOL

Amatrine
05-07-2010, 09:35 AM
His back paws are so fat they look like duck feet!! LOL I will have to get a photo of them, I almost named him Ducky,lol His front paws are not wide like his back ones.
They are smaller than Roos though. He will be smaller like his mom I think.

fluffylove
05-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Love the markings!!

Amatrine
05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
When you look at him looks like he got in the paint,lol A lot of his markings are a golden type color that I think will fade.

Roo had strong grey. Doc has a little grey on the ears and a stripe on his nose.
They funny thing, on his butt, going down in a straight line from where he goes number 2, is a grey marking line that makes him look like he has pooped himself,lol

toyotaholland
05-09-2010, 07:03 AM
How do you measure where a dogs shoulders should be, Mine is at almost nine months so is there a range?

Madhatter
05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Puppy No Name (so far) is 7.5 weeks old and is 16 lbs. I expect him to grow pretty fast too, because when I got him he had flea anemia :( He came from a sheep barn and came h ome with some extra friends.

Amatrine
05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Well My guy was at the vet today because he chewed up the baby gate, swallowed a piece and choked it back up then got a cough.
He will be ok, but is only 20 pounds at 10 weeks. I think hes gonna be on the smaller side. He does not seem to have them large bones I have seen in other Pyr puppies and his mom was pretty small. I would be surprised if this guy tops 70 but we will see.

Jewel
05-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Well He does not seem to have them large bones I have seen in other Pyr puppies and his mom was pretty small. I would be surprised if this guy tops 70 but we will see.

Oh, I am pretty sure he'll top 70. :) I've got a fine boned female. She was about 19 lbs at around 9 wks. She's now a month short of her second birthday and about 26 inches, and does not have an ounce of fat on her. Even she weighs 72 lbs! She is from a slow to mature line and so I don't expect her to fill out completely until she's about 4. I think she'll be 80-85 lbs at maturity. Doc is a male so he'll most likely be bigger. ;)

indypyrenees
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Well we just got our girl today and she is almost 5 months and weighs 40 lbs.

Cybil
05-13-2010, 01:00 AM
He's probably gained quite a bit of weight since but... At 17 wks Thor weighed 39lbs. Apparently the growth spurt slowed down. Which I'm guessing is a good things since (from all of the reading I've done) it seems that the slower they grow the better.

zoeysparents10
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Zoey is 15 weeks this week and hubby weighed her last night and she is 30.6 lbs. I think she is doing well, not eating as much as we thought she would but that's ok. She's a happy pup and surprisingly LOVES to go on walks in the neighborhood with me. She is doing sooo fantastic on the leash!! And FOR NOW she isn't too bothered by the goings on in the neighborhood or chasing after dogs and cats. I'm kinda anxious to see if that will happen when she gets older :p

Lilmamamudd
05-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Emma was weighed last night at 29 lbs, she is 14 weeks now :D

Chicag0_Red
05-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Hank went in yesterday to be weighed and have a quick look over by the vet since we were going in with the Maxi.

at 5 months he is 60 lbs. 20 in neck and 30 inch chest.

Oh and we just got our first "big dog tooth"... here we go with the teething all over again. With the heat around here he has slowed his weight gain ... only picked up 10 lbs last month.

indypyrenees
05-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Is there any way to predict how large your puppy will get? Dotties almost 5 months and she weighs 40 lbs? Is their any way to know?

Davey Benson
05-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Is there any way to predict how large your puppy will get? Dotties almost 5 months and she weighs 40 lbs? Is their any way to know?

Size of parrents.

indypyrenees
05-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Size of parrents.

I do not know how big they were we adopted her and the woman we adopted her from adopted her from someone else, who bought her from the breeder,

Chicag0_Red
05-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Like Davey said the best indicator is the size of the parents and even then there is no guarantee. Hank's dad was a pretty good size dog... even for a Pyr. his mom average larger female Pyr. But also they will fluctuate in their weight gain; it comes in spurts like the rest of the growth cycle. Hank gained 13 lbs between 2 and 3 months, 17 lbs between 3 and 4 months and 10 Pounds between 4 and 5 months. But he is solid without being fat and that is what I am watching. That and his body proportions. IF he grows into those 4 inch paws and that 20 " neck he is going to be like his dad... solid would be an understatement, but not an ounce of fat on him.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WSMRElhL9aQ/S6G2XafCDiI/AAAAAAAAAFU/MX4H0VatYnc/newt.jpg

Here is big daddy Newt @ work.

I wouldn't overemphasize weight... just how are they proportioned and are they healthy.

_Red

Yellowvespa
05-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Mishka, at 9 weeks weighed 17 pounds

grtpyrlvr
05-23-2010, 07:13 AM

As a general rule with the giant breeds they are about 40% of their weight and 60% of their height at 4 months. Once again that's just a round-about but it seems to work.

Madhatter
05-23-2010, 09:52 AM
at 9 weeks Loki's coming in at about 29 lbs. Is that on par for a good sized dog? Hes got some anatolian in him I think, so I'm hoping for a large dog. My labs are about 90-100lbs and that is a healthy weight for them, but they still seem small to me! I love giant dogs. My husband said a pyr is big enough, and drew the line at a Newfie. lol

grtpyrlvr
05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
at 9 weeks Loki's coming in at about 29 lbs. Is that on par for a good sized dog? Hes got some anatolian in him I think, so I'm hoping for a large dog. My labs are about 90-100lbs and that is a healthy weight for them, but they still seem small to me! I love giant dogs. My husband said a pyr is big enough, and drew the line at a Newfie. lol

My husband keeps asking as a new foster dog comes in "If I let you keep this one will you stop?" So I always tell him "When I can have an Irish Wolfhound or dane I will stop" He just looks at me and says something along the lines of "Nevermind......"

He doesn't get why a 5'2 women who's about 100 lbs wants dogs taller and weigh more than her LOL. It makes quite the comments when people see me walking 300+ lbs of dogs down the road.

Andrea
06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
We went to the vet today for Luca's rabies shot. She is 17 months old and weighs 83.5 lbs. But she is not too skinny, she is just a little petite girl compared to her other relatives :).
Unfortunately he also found a fungus in her left ear :mad:

pyr haven
06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
mine at age 14-16 mths weigh pretty constant about 80-83lbs, the male slightly lighter. they are very lean and muscular, esp so the male.

i recently met a pug which i fell in love wit, have never b4 this quite develop a thing for small dogs either...

andrea, ear infection is easy to eradicate wit early diagnosis and med. just a tip to apply topical and not orally for a fungus infection, nor any jabs pl. i learnt the hard way 15yrs ago. i believe there is natural preventive and cure too (was discussed an an older thread)

fishy_chicky
06-06-2010, 11:41 AM
My puppy is 9 weeks old, and she weighs 21 pounds.

Jewel
06-06-2010, 01:40 PM
She is 17 months old and weighs 83.5 lbs. But she is not too skinny, she is just a little petite girl compared to her other relatives :).

Andrea, with my first pyr, she put on 10 lbs bewteen the time she was 2 and when she finally reached full maturity at 4 yrs-old. The 10 lbs was weight of her chest and hips filling out. The same thing is happening with Bijou, who will turn 2 in a couple of weeks. Bijou's truly fined boned, she weighs about 75 lbs now, and should put on another 10 lbs in the next 18 months to 2 years.

So, your Luca may eventually fill out topping 90 lbs at full maturity.

Cybil
06-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Thor was 53lbs at 22wks when I took him in to the vet last week to be checked for coccidia. It's amazing how fast they grow! 14lbs in a little over a month.

meadhead
06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
My pyrenees is very very very small and I wondered if anyone has had experience with runts. The parents are normal sized working pyrs.

When I first picked him up I thought he was mellow, but now that I look back, I think he was listless from lack of nutrition.

At 9 weeks, he was 2.2 lbs. He was very skinny, with a fat belly. I suspected worms so he has now been dewormed. I have had him for almost 2 weeks now and I suspect he has doubled his weight in the last week. I need to weigh him again so I will provide that update later. He has a ton of energy now and is always hungry and I can't feel his ribs as much.

So my question is, as long as he is gaining weight, should I not worry about the health implications? I am particularly worried about a liver shunt.

And to answer your question, why would I have purchased this dog when I knew there was something wrong - I believe he would have died if I hadn't.

I also just wanted to share, I think my little buddy is really special!

jdrazetic
06-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Libby is 5 months old and weighs 50 lbs. I worry though she really doesn't eat alot. Sheis so funny

Jewel
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
My pyrenees is very very very small
At 9 weeks, he was 2.2 lbs.

2.2???? Really? By 9 weeks pups are normally 15-20 lb range. Pictures, please??

Curious
06-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Possibly a dwarf?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Pyrenees-dwarfism-Research-and-Information/116872714989914.

Yellowvespa
06-11-2010, 06:56 AM
weird!!!!!!!

Amatrine
06-11-2010, 10:04 AM
My guy that died of a liver shunt was not that small at all.
He did have other signs though, besides not wanting to eat, he was anemic and his gums were pale, his tounge had an orange tinge to it. He had urinary problems.

That is VERY small. I was thinking dwarf too?

Ama

meadhead
06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Here's a picture of him at 9 weeks. This was week ago and he is a bit bigger now - maybe a gain of 2 pounds? I need to buy a scale!

Thanks for that facebook link - I had no idea a dwarf was a possibility!

Sorry to hear about your pyr amatrine, I appreciate your help - his appetite is great, but he has been urinating more lately it seems, and the diarrhea hasn't really stopped since I brought him home...

Sorry if this is out of order, still getting the hang of posting!

jellybiehn
06-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Hank was about 13 lbs when we picked him up at 8 wks old, Today at 11 wks he is about 24lbs, can't believe how fast he is growing. His little legs are getting so long!

Amatrine
06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Mine is 11 weeks tomorrow and 24 pounds today. Hes growing like a weed. Here is a pic of his back end two days ago. Could not get him to stand still for a photo, LOL

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs584.snc3/30792_403456384905_508254905_4113421_7139198_n.jpg

Amatrine
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow Mead, he is a small one! He looks like a long hair Chi/ Pry, but that is not possible! LOL He does look like a dwarf. Have you taken a stool sample in to be tested ?

grtpyrlvr
06-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Where the other puppies in the litter "Normal" size?

meadhead
06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Wow Mead, he is a small one! He looks like a long hair Chi/ Pry, but that is not possible! LOL He does look like a dwarf. Have you taken a stool sample in to be tested ?

Hi, weighed him today and he is at 4.4 lbs!

They can tell if he is a dwarf off of a stool sample? I will have to ask my vet about it next time.

His litter mates were normal sized - about 4 times his size.

Amatrine
06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
No , mentioned the stool sample because you said he has constant runs. Could be worms or anything.

meadhead
06-12-2010, 10:32 PM
OH....yes I had the stool sample done. For 50 bucks they told me he did not have worms, even though I saw them on the day of the deworming....

Sometimes it is more solid, probably the best it will get on total wet food. I started mixing dry food in but found that he wasn't chewing them! So I will wait a couple weeks to try that again.

Could it just be stress of a new place and the switch of food? It's been 2 weeks since both of those, should it be getting better by now?

Thanks!

Amatrine
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
She may have really small teeth and need a small breed puppy chow. Especially if she is a dwarf. Mine did not want his hard food until his molars came in.
I had to water it down, mix it with hamburger at first, and then slowed down the hamburger until it was chow . When he got the molars, he went from hardly eating to eating bowl fools. This was just last week.

Contact me by email and I can give you a contact with someone who has a dwarf and can tell you her experiences. I understand just like human dwarfs, they can have problems.

Soft food will make the poops runny. Make sure you feed a good quality food too. I feed Natures Recipe, as it has no corn, and gives my dogs good poops the flies hate, and a nice sheen to the fur. It is the only food my dog with allergies can eat without a reaction and I have tried many.

Taste of the wild is good if you can get it in your area. We do not have that here.

Being such a small thing , and the low metabolism I can not imagine she is going to eat that much anyway. My little chihuahua who was 4 and a half pounds when I got her, ate two handfuls a day. More than that and she got fat.

Lilmamamudd
07-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Emma is 21 weeks tomorrow, and at 52 lbs :D her head is up to my hips now :D

Andrea
07-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Here's a picture of him at 9 weeks. This was week ago and he is a bit bigger now - maybe a gain of 2 pounds? I need to buy a scale!

Thanks for that facebook link - I had no idea a dwarf was a possibility!

Sorry to hear about your pyr amatrine, I appreciate your help - his appetite is great, but he has been urinating more lately it seems, and the diarrhea hasn't really stopped since I brought him home...

Sorry if this is out of order, still getting the hang of posting!

Hi, I was thinking about your little boy today. So how is Abraham doing right now and did he put on any more weight?? Please keep us updated he is such a sweet little bundle of hair :)

Amatrine
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
37 pounds today, he was 14 weeks yesterday. He is getting to big too fast!

meadhead
07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi!

Abe is doing really well! Thanks for asking. He is now on hard food and has been growing like crazy. He is now 14 weeks and is 15 pounds I'm guessing. I know it's still small but it's much better than where he was. He looks great too and seems to have no health problems. He just seems to be behind. He looks like an 8 week old pyr. I've attached a couple of pictures....

Jewel
07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Abe is doing really well! Thanks for asking. He is now on hard food and has been growing like crazy. He is now 14 weeks and is 15 pounds I'm guessing. I know it's still small but it's much better than where he was. He looks great too and seems to have no health problems. He just seems to be behind. He looks like an 8 week old pyr. I've attached a couple of pictures....

From the picture with you in it, he looks like a normal pyr pup; can't tell that he's small from that picture. Please do keep us posted on his progress, I am sure I am not the only one who is very interested to see how big he will get, given how small he was!!

mips
07-28-2014, 04:15 AM
I have a question,

I just heard my 7 week pup is 9.25 pound, is this normal? I saw they should be between 10 and 15?

nick's spirit
07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
It has been mentioned in several converstions, what is "normal" weight for one dog may not be the same for another. So the question is, does he look healthy, does he look overweight or too thin??
I know you can't answer those questions until you go & get him, but to be concerned now is a bit premature....relax!!!

mips
07-28-2014, 12:05 PM
I am a little freaking out yes :p It's very tensive especially with the airplane and the sending and such. He looks healthy, no dirty eyes, always a happy face...

Jewel
07-28-2014, 02:15 PM
my 7 week pup is 9.25 pound, is this normal? I saw they should be between 10 and 15?

Out of curiosity, are these pups raw fed? If so, they may not carry as much weight as the kibble fed pups though of course no less healthy. He is 7 weeks old, by the time he is 11 weeks and ready to ship, he will likely be quite a lot bigger. There is a big difference in size between a nearly 2 month old and a nearly 3 month old.

mips
07-28-2014, 03:04 PM
He's not raw fed - yet - he's getting kibble at the breeder, but I don't know what kind. Could be that he's not getting puppy kibble, which I would only find good. Maybe that's the difference in pups...

Bluegrassboy
08-27-2014, 08:49 AM
My boy Denver is 14 weeks and weighs about 35lbs he has grown a lot in the last month about 3 inches in height and about 15-20 lbs his dad is about 175 or so (huge) so he is gonna be a hoss...lol

Janet
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Hello! I just joined the forum today! My name is Janet, and this is our Zoie. She is 14 weeks old and weighs 32 lbs!5769

nick's spirit
09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Welcome Janet & Zoie!!
She looks like she is full of fun & mischief & love!
Do you know how large her parents were?? Just never know how they are going to grow up. Our Rudy started out at a very nice weight, gaining slowly throughout his first year. Now at almost 2, he seems to have stopped growing as far as his height goes, and I am sure, as he matures, he will get broader & fill out. I call him my "pocket" Pyr, but what he lacks in height & weight, he makes up for in his sweet personality!!
Looking forward to hearing how this new little fur ball continues to become part of your family!
Nancy, Holly & Rudy

Janet
09-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the welcome! My husband and I have always owned collies (we currently have a smooth coat sable male (Pax) and a rough coat blue merle female (Lily). The Great Pyrenees was sort of a "bucket list dog" for us, lol! We've really enjoyed Zoie! Her personality is very different from any of our collies, and it has been very interesting. Her dad was roughly 130 lbs, mom was 100.

mips
09-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Chico is 14 weeks now , and last Friday he was bit over 35,3 pound, he was 14 weeks exactly then. He's also 21,6 inch. We wonder if he shouldn't weight more at 21,6 inch. Is there a height-weight chart somewhere for pyr-puppies?

Here a picture of last Friday.

http://lindochico.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/0/7/24072105/3277738_orig.jpg

nick's spirit
09-15-2014, 11:08 AM
He looks like he is at a healthy weight in that photo to me!!
remember, try not to put too much weight on him as he grows & his bones & muscles are developing.

mips
09-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Is it normal then that we can feel his hipbones so easily?

Jewel
09-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Yes, with a giant breed dog, in the first 12 months it will be going through phenomenal growth in height and length. Thus most of its food intake will be used to facilitate this growth. Because of the speed at which they are growing taller and longer, it is quite normal to be able to feel the dog's ribs and hips - they are being stretched out and up. Think of an human boy between 11 and 15 of age. I don't think anyone is surprised at seeing a boy that age to have skinny body, long thin arms and legs.

You don't want a giant breed pup to have big muscles and a lot of flesh during its 12 months. It adds unnecessary stress on their very immature still growing bones and joints. It's the similar logic as not walking them at a steady pace for a prolonged period of time at this age.

Weight in itself at this age is kind of irrelevant. You pay attention to body condition, not what that number is on the scale. If you can feel each rib individually and separately without even having to do any pressing down on the pup's sides, then the pup can use more food. But if you can feel the ribs but not the indent between each individual rib when you run your hand along the puppy's sides, and the puppy is bright eyed and full of energy, then you are probably doing just fine. Being able to feel a little bone is more healthy for giant breed dogs.

mips
09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Thank you Jewel,

It's just a bit hard with Chico, he's hungry a LOT lately! I talked to a GP breeder which feeds raw, she told us to just look at if he's looking healthy and not too skinny... but we kept feeling his hipbones, and sometimes seeing them through his fur, we were quite worried about that. At the moment he just grows very hard. And he's hungry all the time, he'd bounce his sister away to get all hér food too.

According to the vet (we changed to a pro-raw vet today) he's getting more than he should, but with less he's even more hungry and more skinny! So we got the advise to add vegetables especially green beans.

It's just so sad to see he's so hungry, every time you get up, he hopes he gets food and rushes to the kitchen. So today we're starting on the green beans. I really hope that helps with his hunger.

Jewel
09-15-2014, 03:24 PM
but we kept feeling his hipbones, and sometimes seeing them through his fur

To be quite honest, being able to feel hip bones is very normal, even for adults. If you can't feel the hip bones easily, the dog is definitely overweight whether it's a pup or an adult. Chico's skin is literally being stretched this way and that and very quickly, so he's not going to keep much flesh over the top of his hip bones. How much of a dent can you see between the top of the two hip joints? If there is a very distinct hollow between the top of the to hip bones, then he can use more food. But if you can see the protrusion of the top of the hips but there is really not a obvious deep indent between the top of the two hip bones, then he's probably in adequate condition.

Chico is going to be going through periods where he is terribly hungry because of growth spurts. Green beans is a good filler but it has no fat or calories. If you are worried that he's not getting enough to eat, check with the vet if you can give him some bananas along with the green beans. Some holistic people feed bananas because it is also packed full of nutrients and fiber without fat.

Lancelot
09-16-2014, 08:03 AM
He looks great to me. Right on target for weight. You are very lucky to have a food motivated Pyr. Will be easier to train. The green beans should help him feel full.

Cabot
09-16-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm new also, about a month. It's been very helpful to read others' posts on puppy growth. My boy, Cabot, is 41 lbs at 16 weeks. He's doing well & is thin, but not skinny. It was suggested that calcium was important, so I've been adding cottage cheese (Cabot brand) to his kibble. My other dogs don't mind that either.