PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to compare puppy weights?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Lancelot
09-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Welcome. Cabot's first picture just melted my heart. Cottage cheese is Lance's most favorite food in the world.

Cabot
09-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Just looked at Lance & Lacey's pics - they're so gorgeous. How do you keep dark blue carpets clean? :)

Jewel
09-17-2014, 02:18 PM
It was suggested that calcium was important, so I've been adding cottage cheese (Cabot brand) to his kibble. My other dogs don't mind that either.

No, no, please don't do that!! There is absolutely no need to supplement calcium if the puppy is on kibble. Calcium is an important issue because a lot of brands of kibbles have TOO MUCH calcium for giant breed pups. You want less calcium, not more. Calcium promotes faster growth. Fast growth increases the risk of joint & bone defects. You want your pup to grow at a slow steady pace.

Cabot
09-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Oh, my. I certainly don't want to cause problems with his joints & bones. Thanks for telling me, much appreciated.

packmom
10-06-2014, 06:12 AM
My Lucy is gorgeous. She will be 8 months old in a couple of days. She weighs approximately 85 lbs. She is going to the vet today for a limp that she got over the weekend (hopefully just a nasty bruise). She eats 6 cups of Fromm adult food a day, but she gets extras. She loves her veggies, dried cranberries, olive oil, or applesauce on top of it. :)

Snowolf
10-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Bailey just turned 9 months old and he is 112 lbs but still has a defined waist. I think he is going to be a big boy. What do you all think?

nick's spirit
10-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Welcome Snowolf & Bailey...and 112 at 9 months...yup...he's gonna be a big guy!!!
From the little I can see in your avatar, Bailey looks very slender, he must be on the tallish side also.
Look forward to hearing more about you & him & all of the fun things that will happen in your lives!

Nancy, Holly & Rudy

mips
10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Welcome Snowolf, sure sounds like a big boy!

Chico was 18 weeks and 52 pounds last friday.

mips
10-29-2014, 02:16 AM
Yesterday Chico was 62 pounds and 20 weeks already.

Christi
10-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Apollo was 9 weeks and 8.8 pounds on Friday. Just a tiny bit behind, but I am sure he will catch up

Janet
10-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Zoie is now 21.5 weeks old, and weighs just a touch over 46 lbs. She gets 2.5 cups of food, twice daily. She is always ravenous, and gobbles it down within 3 minutes. Are we feeding her enough? she is petite, and I can feel her hip bones, but she is extremely energetic and healthy in every regard. I am always worried about her gaining weight too fast, but I don't want to deprive her either! Should I be feeding her more?

Christi
10-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Now Apollo doesn't eat fast or much at a time. Not sure if it is just in his nature, or if his system is still not up to par after the parvo. Not sure if your girl should be eating more or not. But what kind of food are you feeding her? I did quite a bit of research and not all food is created equally, one thing that stuck with me was No Wheat, No Corn and No Soy. I have Mr Picky Pyr on an organic, Holistic giant breed puppy food, was not my choice but his. I had a heck of a time getting him to eat and got a free sample of this food and he liked it so I went with it for now. I will be slowly transitioning him back to the food I had chosen in the first place.

nick's spirit
10-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Janet
Zoie sounds like she is on the right track growth wise....but as christi asked, what are you feeding her?
Our first male, Nick, used to fall asleep in his bowl after he emptied it...wish I had taken pictures of it!!
It could be that she is ready for adult food if she is still on puppy formula.

Janet
10-30-2014, 05:34 AM
She is on Taste of the Wild, the puppy formula. That is what she was being fed when we got her. This girl just inhales food! And she knows when it is time to eat, she sits by the pantry door that the food canister is in and waits, lol. Do you think I should start transitioning her to an adult formula?

Christi
10-30-2014, 06:08 AM
She is on Taste of the Wild, the puppy formula. That is what she was being fed when we got her. This girl just inhales food! And she knows when it is time to eat, she sits by the pantry door that the food canister is in and waits, lol. Do you think I should start transitioning her to an adult formula?

I am no expert, but my opinion would be yes. Seems to me if she is this hungry its time to change her up. But I would wait for people with more experience than I have to weigh in. I know there are lots of "extras" you can give them but I have 0 experience.

mips
10-30-2014, 06:52 AM
What about her ribs and spine? Are they VERY easy to feel, or just normal to feel?

With Chico I can feel a thin layer of fat, but I can still feel his ribs. We think he's on his perfect 'size' now. He used to be too skinny too when we got him.

I don't know about changing to other kibble, I don't feed kibble so I can't help you there.

By the way, I just measured Chico's withers, he's 25 inch now! And almost 5 months. He's gonna be a big boy we think... Tomorrow he's in for measuring his weight again.

Janet
10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the responses! Though I can feel her spine and ribs, they are not at all prominent. To me, she looks like she has a nice body composition. I think I will try a slow transition to the adult formula, and see how she does.

bjorn
10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi i recently got a new great pyrenees named bjorn he is 10 weeks and is only 16.4 pounds his dad was about 130 and mom 105 he is going to by my service dog for stability and needs to be tall because i am roughly 6 foot 3 and still growing(15). is he underweight?

Jewel
10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Though I can feel her spine and ribs, they are not at all prominent.

I was going to say that being able to feel a pup's hip bones is really not a good indication that the pup is thin. The hip area is one of the two major areas where the pup is going through the fastest growth - they are growing tall at a phenomenal rate in the first 10 months, and so the skin around the hips are constantly being stretched and that would contribute to one being able to feel the hip bones. Now, if one can't feel the hip bones on a 5 month old pup, that pup is very likely very overweight.

If you can feel ribs but they are not prominent, then your pup is most likely in fine physical shape. If the pup is in good shape, I wouldn't worry about her acting hungry all the time. Some pups just love to eat. When my male was a pup, he used to attack his food bowl so hard that he had to put a foot in the bowl so that it wouldn't keep sliding all over the place. He'd clean his bowl within a minute, swallowing kibbles whole, no chewing.

Also, a reminder, folks, there is a "rule" round here that prohibits the use of weeks to indicate a pup's age beyond 16 weeks. For those of us who do not have human children, we can manage to remember that 16 weeks is about 4 months, beyond that, a calculator is needed to figure out what does it mean by 21.5 weeks?! 25 weeks?! :redface-new: Please, once the pup hits 4 months, use months to tell us how old your pup is! thank you much! :becky: :big grin:

edit to add:

About switching to adult food. Some breeders say switch at 6 months, some breeders insist using large breed pup food until 18 months and then there are other breeders that don't use pup food at all, so everyone is different. As for Janet, I would read the calorie count and the fat content of the TOTW adult food and compare that to the pup food. If the adult formula has less calories per cup and/or less fat content, then what you would be having to do is to feed more in order to give Zoie the same amount of energy intake. Giving more food also means giving the pup more calcium as well. So you want to compare the calcium content between the pup formula and adult formula as well. Ideally you want to pick the food with less calcium content that you can feed less of, rather than the food with the higher calcium content that you need to feed more of. Does that make sense?

Janet
10-30-2014, 11:38 AM
It makes perfect sense, thank you for the great advice Jewel! (And no more weeks! Months from now on!! lol!)

Christi
10-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi i recently got a new great pyrenees named bjorn he is 10 weeks and is only 16.4 pounds his dad was about 130 and mom 105 he is going to by my service dog for stability and needs to be tall because i am roughly 6 foot 3 and still growing(15). is he underweight?

My puppy is 10 weeks old as well and weighs 8.8 pounds. Now he had parvo and lost weight and the vet would have liked him to be roughly 12 pounds at this age. So no your pup shouldn't be underweight at all.

bjorn
10-30-2014, 12:29 PM
thanks so much for the reply so sorry to hear about your pup hows he doin?

Jewel
10-30-2014, 12:36 PM
he is 10 weeks and is only 16.4 pounds

Why do you think he might be underweight? A 10 week old at 16.4 lbs is not small. Can you feel, see and count his ribs? A number on a scale means little because what that number says must be considered along with the dog's height and density of structure to make sense. It's like a small framed man could be 6 ft tall and weigh 150 lbs and not be too skinny. But if the person is a big framed 6 ft tall guy, he can weigh 180 lbs and not be fat. What you want to focus on is the puppy's body condition, not what the scale says. You want to keep a giant breed puppy on the thin side, not chunky monkey. You want to be able to feel its ribs without being able to count each individual rib.

Christi
10-30-2014, 12:48 PM
If you look around at different topics you will see lots of me whining about how hyper, picky and bratty he is. In other words he is
Pyr-fect! 5 days in ICU and another week of meds and he is full of energy and into EVERYTHING! He has gained weight, I can tell cause his collar fits a little better. It was far looser when he got home. Not sure how much he weighs though. I might take him to the vet just to get him weighed, he doesn't go back for shots for another couple of weeks.

bjorn
10-30-2014, 01:38 PM
I can count all his ribs feel his spine fairly well and the tips of his hips and he isnt eating much food

bjorn
10-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Thats great good luck with everything!!

mips
10-31-2014, 04:22 AM
Our 10 week old is 25.6 pounds last tuesday... Born on the 19th of August.

Christi
10-31-2014, 05:26 AM
Our 10 week old is 25.6 pounds last tuesday... Born on the 19th of August.

Wow, he is a lot bigger than mine, born on the 15th of August,But Apollo is eating well, did I ever say he wasn't food motivated? I think he still didn't feel well because now he eats a lot more than he did and all of a sudden he likes his treats. Now I don't let him gorge or nothing like that, but his kibble stays down all day. He tends to nibble here and there rather than eat a large portion all at once. He still doesn't eat as much as the food suggest's but I am not concerned with that end of it. He is active and bright eyed so I think he eats enough.

mips
10-31-2014, 05:44 AM
I think Apollo had a real big hit from the parvo and needs time to catch up. Nando weights more than Chico did too at 10 weeks. Chico was 25 pounds at 11 weeks.

Both the boys were on the skinny side when they got here to be honest. Chico was a lot taller than Nando is and people were asking us if he was about 4 months old. Nando is about the same age now from when we got Chico, and Nando is a lot more baby and fluffy.

Chico caught up on being a bit underweight in no time and grew as weed, he's getting less fed now cause he's becoming a bit too heavy now. Nando is catching up as we speak.

I think the European lines are just growing differently than the American lines, we won't know how they 'dry up' until they're adults ;)

http://pyrpalace.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/0/7/24072105/5538813_orig.png

bjorn
10-31-2014, 06:01 AM
wow how big were the parents

Christi
10-31-2014, 06:12 AM
I think Apollo had a real big hit from the parvo and needs time to catch up. Nando weights more than Chico did too at 10 weeks. Chico was 25 pounds at 11 weeks.

Both the boys were on the skinny side when they got here to be honest. Chico was a lot taller than Nando is and people were asking us if he was about 4 months old. Nando is about the same age now from when we got Chico, and Nando is a lot more baby and fluffy.

Chico caught up on being a bit underweight in no time and grew as weed, he's getting less fed now cause he's becoming a bit too heavy now. Nando is catching up as we speak.

I think the European lines are just growing differently than the American lines, we won't know how they 'dry up' until they're adults ;)

Yeah he did. He not only didn't gain anything he lost a lot of what he did have. Now what I have noticed is his coat has changed a lot. Now I do brush him daily. and he loses hair not as much as the first few times but his fur has gotten a lot softer that could be the conditioner I use on him, or it could be his overall health. Or both. I am going with both. I do not use the conditioner everyday, only when he has played in wet grass and seems kinda knotty to me. I have noticed the fur on his rump tends to be shorter and denser and will form small mats, which is why the daily brushing. I would rather take the time to keep his coat nice and brushed then to worry about big mats in his hair.

mips
10-31-2014, 06:19 AM
I don't know how big exactly, Nando's father was at least over 30 inches.

With Chico I know his grandfather is 32 inches. I'm clueless about the parents to be honest.

Jewel
10-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi i recently got a new great pyrenees named bjorn he is 10 weeks and is only 16.4 pounds

My apologies bjorn, I quite obviously had a brain fart yesterday. For some reason I read 10 weeks but in my brain I kept thinking of 8 weeks and an 8 week old at 16 lbs would not be small. But for a 10 week old, 16 lbs would be on the light side. Especially if you can actually count his ribs, then he is likely too thin. How long have you had him and what has his weight gain been since you got him? What are you feeding him? Has he been wormed?

Mips, there isn't that huge of a difference between the growth rate of Europe v American dogs. 10 week old pups are are usually in the 20-25 lb range. Even Bijou was 19 lbs at 10 weeks (she was about 13 lbs at 8 wks) and she's a full grown adult of 26" and 80 lbs.

Christi, don't even think of freaking out, Apollo will catch up in time. As long as he is eating fine and eating a good quality food, he will be catching up in the next couple of months.

Christi
10-31-2014, 08:54 AM
My apologies bjorn, I quite obviously had a brain fart yesterday. For some reason I read 10 weeks but in my brain I kept thinking of 8 weeks and an 8 week old at 16 lbs would not be small. But for a 10 week old, 16 lbs would be on the light side. Especially if you can actually count his ribs, then he is likely too thin. How long have you had him and what has his weight gain been since you got him? What are you feeding him? Has he been wormed?

Mips, there isn't that huge of a difference between the growth rate of Europe v American dogs. 10 week old pups are are usually in the 20-25 lb range. Even Bijou was 19 lbs at 10 weeks (she was about 13 lbs at 8 wks) and she's a full grown adult of 26" and 80 lbs.

Christi, don't even think of freaking out, Apollo will catch up in time. As long as he is eating fine and eating a good quality food, he will be catching up in the next couple of months.

Yeah I know my boy is behind the curb, but he is gaining I am sure. I know when i put his collar on after leaving the vet it could almost slip over his ears, now I have loosened it a bit as it was a little to snug for my taste. Now most likely it was the correct fit, but I tend to be super cautious anyway and now especially with Apollo.

For the moment Puppy is eating like the god I told him he was. Pure-vita Duck and Oatmeal kibble, this is an organic holistic food that just so happens to be the most expensive brand at my local pet store. 17.99 for a 5 pound bag. I stuff his kong with cream cheese daily. And give him around 6 of the evolve salmon and sweet potato treats a day. He may get a little more than that as there are 3 of us in the house and he does turn on the sad, I am starving to death eyes often.

I see his energy level and know he is getting enough food.

bjorn
10-31-2014, 09:08 AM

bjorn
10-31-2014, 09:16 AM
its no problem he has just been switched to orijen large breed puppy food beforehand he was on taste of the wild. he eats maybe 3 cups a day. I have had him for exactly 2 weeks. we just tookm hime to the vet recently and he had no parasites. when we got him the breeder said he was 20 pounds (which i doubted) he actually weighed about 13. im really worried because he has a perfect service dog temperment and he needs to be big because i weigh about 200 pounds and am 6 foot 3 and he will be for stability to help me from falling when i pass out.

Jewel
10-31-2014, 09:22 AM
its no problem he has just been switched to orijen large breed puppy food beforehand he was on taste of the wild. he eats maybe 3 cups a day. I have had him for exactly 2 weeks. we just tookm hime to the vet recently and he had no parasites. when we got him the breeder said he was 20 pounds (which i doubted) he actually weighed about 13. im really worried because he has a perfect service dog temperment and he needs to be big because i weigh about 200 pounds and am 6 foot 3 and he will be for stability to help me from falling when i pass out.

I wouldn't worry just yet. If he's eating 3 cups of Orijen a day, that is not too bad as it is a high calorie food. I would watch him closely to make sure his eyes are bright, he's alert and his energy level is good. Not all pups are going to be growing at the same rate but you do want to see steady growth from week to week.

bjorn
10-31-2014, 09:26 AM
thanks so much he sleeps for a lot of the day but at the same time for a good portion he is running around playin with my other dog!

Christi
10-31-2014, 09:37 AM

Now keep in mind that the strength of a dog is different than a human. Even if he is on the small side, Pyr's are very powerful and strong. It has to do with muscle and body structure more than how much he weighs. I have seen Newf's do water rescue exercises and a 140 pound dog got a 200 pound person out of the water and onto a bank. Didn't seem like it was difficult for the dog either. I was quite impressed with the demonstration.

bjorn
10-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Ya it really is amazing my main concern is really his height becuase i have seen a 120 poun pyr and it was super tall and all muscle

mips
10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
How tall were the parents? If you have a tall mother and a tall father you can expect (if all goes well with the pups health) that the pup will be high too.

The dogs here below are the parents of the father of Chico. I know Izan (grandfather) is 82 cm (32 inch), Cassandra (grandmother) I don't know the height of, but I can see she's not much under Izan. Therefor I think Chico's father isn't tiny either. His parents didn't differ much from each other in height either. If you put a large mom and a large dad together, usually the children are even larger, or so I heard.

Breeders normally take a bit smaller father with with a tall mom and the other way around (if they use tall parents) to ensure they stay below the 32 inch, above it the dogs get disqualified. In Spain they still do a lot of breeding as work dogs and then they like to put two tall parents together. If you know the parents heights you can 'guess' a little what your little one will grow up to be like.

http://www.gandaradebarrantes.es/images/giganteizan16.jpg

bjorn
10-31-2014, 11:08 AM
62086209 the dad and puppy in question the dad was roughly 125 at 2 so still some filling out time for him and mom 105 at 2 the parents were lean i have no clue about all specifics but i would guess from how much the dad weighs he was at least 29-32 inches. im also assuming that he would probably be bigger because he will be neuterd at 4 months because he will be a service dog.

mips
10-31-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't think neutering benefits growth... if it does, it would do the opposite of what you think it will do. Also by weight you can't tell how big a dog is. If the build is more elegant the dog can weight less and yet still be the same height as a dog build heavier. Weight also depends on muscle/fat percentages etc. If the dog has more muscle, he'll weight more than the same size dog who isn't that muscled. Muscles weight more than fat.

Based on weight you can really tell nothing. Izan is 132 pounds (60 kilos). Which is actually the average weight for an adult male GP. But with height he's just much taller than the average GP.

If I judge on the fencing (the squares) I guess they're about 15cms. If I count it and look from the withers it looks like the father is about 70-75 cms. So between 27-30 inch. 27 is the smallest a male may be for shows judging on Dutch show standards. But if he has a really big mother, your boy could easily outgrow his father. But if the mother is also on the small side, don't expect a real huge dog.

You say the dad was roughly 125 pounds, but they also said your pup was 20 pounds and turned out to be 13. I wouldn't rely on those numbers too much.

Long story short, without the parents exact height it's very hard to estimate an adult size for your puppy.

Just curious about this one. If you need a service dog to keep you from falling when passing out, why didn't you get an adult pyr? I know there's rescues in America that have a lot of Pyrs and I would imagine there would be one that would be perfect for being your service dog right away. Else there might be breeders with good socialized adult pyrs that might need rehoming and could perfectly serve as a service dog. A puppy wont keep you from falling yet, I suppose you know that. Or will your pup receive special training for it?

I've fallen once (I tripped) and my puppy did try to get help. This week I fell again cause Chico had walked around me with his leash and made me trip, and I fell but this time Chico got in on the fall, and I hurt his leg, it luckily only hurt for a short moment, but I felt very guilty. So yea, kind of curious about the question ;)

bjorn
10-31-2014, 12:09 PM
he will be getting special training because i have specific tells that show i am going to pass out i have dysautonomia and autonomic dysfunction so it can be quite random and training him from a puppy would work better. i also have another question the pup is about 14-15 inches tall is this normal because i keep getting told he is very big and i am worried he is too skinny

mips
10-31-2014, 01:54 PM
Sounds about normal height. But for a puppy in general he's very tall ;)

Christi
10-31-2014, 02:10 PM
he will be getting special training because i have specific tells that show i am going to pass out i have dysautonomia and autonomic dysfunction so it can be quite random and training him from a puppy would work better. i also have another question the pup is about 14-15 inches tall is this normal because i keep getting told he is very big and i am worried he is too skinny

I wouldn't worry so much about him being thin, you actually want your pup to be kinda lean. I kinda suck at explaining it, but basically if the pup is allowed to become to heavy it can have a detrimental effect on bones and joints. Giant breeds of dogs grow at a fantastic rate and they need less body mass so as not to hinder the growth of his bones. If you go through different areas of the forum there is a lot of info on this. Many of the members here have had pyrs for many years and have a tremendous wealth of knowledge. And many are great at explaining this whole concept.

bjorn
10-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Thank you soooo much i just made my account today and im not regreting it one bit all of you have been super helpful and i have to say thank you for thAT:RpS_biggrin:

Christi
10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Thank you soooo much i just made my account today and im not regreting it one bit all of you have been super helpful and i have to say thank you for thAT:RpS_biggrin:

Welcome to the forum, and we are glad to have you. I am pretty new too and everyone has be very helpful and I have been given lots of support and advice.

Jewel
10-31-2014, 07:23 PM
the pup is about 14-15 inches tall is this normal because i keep getting told he is very big and i am worried he is too skinny

Body condition. You said you can actually count each of his ribs separately, do you mean that you can feel each rib separately and actually see the indent between each rib visually? If that's the case, that would mean he can use more food. You said he eats about 3 cups a day and I think you said in two meals. Maybe add a extra half meal if he needs it. BTW, the people that are telling you he is very big, are these experienced pyr owners?

bjorn
10-31-2014, 07:29 PM
noand he eats about 4 meals a day i can somewhat see the indentation if i look for it. though he is very fluffy

mips
11-01-2014, 01:16 AM
The fluff can be very concealing, if you can see his indentation, I would feed him a little more, you want your pup lean, but not underweight skinny. Maybe try to imagine him without the fluff, would you think he would be too skinny then?

Christi
11-01-2014, 04:06 AM
The fluff can be very concealing, if you can see his indentation, I would feed him a little more, you want your pup lean, but not underweight skinny. Maybe try to imagine him without the fluff, would you think he would be too skinny then?

Yes it can. you look at Apollo and he looks like a chubby little puppy, but I can count each rib, and feel every bone in his rump area. However you would never know it if you did not touch him. And if you can see the indention then for sure feed it more.

bjorn
11-01-2014, 06:36 AM
yes i think he would

mips
11-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Then most definitely feed more.

I've noticed with Chico that he eats way more than average. According to average he should eat 600 gram on a day (I feed him raw meat), but if I would feed him thát, he'd become incredibly skinny. He gets 1350 gram a day now, but when he was as old as your pup, I fed him 1500 a day. The last few weeks he can use less food and I made his portions smaller. Could be that your pup needs more too! Just feed him on the eye, not on the scale. Every puppy is different, just like every human is. One person can eat a lot and hardly gain anything while the other eats less and gains weight quicker.

Feeding 4x a day is perfect though ;) You did a good job there!

Most people switch to 3x a day between 12 and 16 weeks, we did it at 16 weeks I believe cause Chico was incredibly hungry, he's been on 3 meals a day since, in a few weeks we'll start switching him over to 2 a day. Somewhere between the 5th and the 6th month, but I think it'll be more to the 6 months than the 5.

Our Nando is already at 3 meals a day cause he had a real lack of interest in food if we fed more times. Now he's a bit hungry during the afternoon and eats his portions better then. This morning he ate 200 gram out of the 350 he gets per portion. He's not into food at all. He eats cause he needs to eat and that's it.

bjorn
11-01-2014, 02:17 PM
it worries me because i try to slowly increase his food but he never ever finishes it

Christi
11-01-2014, 03:13 PM
it worries me because i try to slowly increase his food but he never ever finishes it

Now that is something I have noticed with Apollo as well. He tends to like treats, and cat food, but is extremely picky when it comes to his food. What I have done is left his food down. One thing I did notice is that he tends to nibble a lot but doesn't really eat a lot all at one time.

bjorn
11-01-2014, 04:13 PM
okay i have tried stuff like putting chicken broth on it and that worked well but i will try leaving it out longer just makes it a bit challenging i have 3 other dogs.

Jewel
11-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Here is how I look at it, I understand an owner wanting SO MUCH to have a well-fed looking puppy, but the thing is, barring illness, the pup is going to eat whatever he needs to fulfill his body's needs. Even if the pup is thin, his body is still using all the nutrition that he's taking in. I believe Bjorn will still grow to to the fullest extent intended by his genes even if he grew up as a thin puppy if he's fed a high quality food. If you can get Bjorn to eat more with broth added to his kibbles, then great. But if he just won't eat as much as you provide he's probably still going to get as big as he will get anyway, just on the thin side. A thin dog doesn't mean he's a weak dog. Good quality food like Orijen will provide the dog with good lean muscles. Heavy bulk that results from foods with lots of fillers & carbohydrates doesn't necessary mean the dog is stronger/healthier. My two are kept thin their whole lives fed on grainless kibbles and home cooked foods. Bro is 10 and is a stringy, thin muscular guy still competitive in agility against much younger, smaller dogs. Bijou is a purebred pyr and at 6 is still competing in agility at the highest level, unheard of for a pyr.

bjorn
11-01-2014, 04:39 PM
okay thanks so much just got him weighed a few minutes ago and now he is 17.8 pounds

mips
11-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Chico is 22 weeks (5 months) and 67.7 pounds!

We're guessing he'll be about 84 pound at 6 months, and according to the averages he's on half his adult weight with 6 months. Which would mean he'd be around 167.5 pounds as an adult?

Can anyone with more experience in this give me some guesses on his adult weight?

bjorn
11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
got bjorn weighed for 11 weeks and he is now slightly over 20 pounds do you think he is catching up because my vet thinks he will be absolutely huge

Christi
11-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Got Apollo weighed today and he is 14.2 and 12 weeks. Bjorn I don't think he is behind. My puppy is behind, yours is right on track. You have to take into account Mips is from Europe, her Chico has french lines, so he will be sized different, she also feeds him raw food. Honestly, I think you are worrying about something that is a non issue.

mips
11-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Actually, Chico has Spanish lines and the Spanish lines are huge. Raw food means he grows slower (so would be a bit behind on the kibble pups), but over a longer period. So him being so much over the average line for the Dutch standards means he'll get even bigger.

Nando is now 11 weeks and 2 weeks with us, last tuesday he was 28.9 pounds... he's had puppy kibble until 2 weeks ago. Nando is from the French lines ;) They're a bit more elegant than the Spanish lines I hear, we don't think he'll be as huge as Chico to be honest.

@Bjorn, I wouldn't worry too much about his weight if he's not too skinny, you can only feel if he's really catching up if you're feeling his ribs, he shouldn't be skin and bones, but lean is perfect. So how does he feel this week? He's grown the average for a week (2.2 pound according to Dutch averages).

@Christi, Apollo gained 5,4 pounds in 2 weeks! That's what the average puppy should gain in that time period! I know he's still a bit behind, but it's still amazing ;) I hope he catches up soon. In the Netherlands we say they should gain around 2.2 pound each week, so I'd say Apollo is definitely catching up! :cheer2:

Does the American Kennel Club for Great Pyrenees give some kind of average for puppy growth? I know that Averages don't mean anything, but it's nice to compare your puppy to something, you know? Like I did in my puppy weight tracker chart, then you could see with Apollo if he's getting closer to average or not. I could give you the Dutch averages, but I think that's not really a fair scale, I think the American lines are different, so if you can find any American average weights that would be so much better for tracking Apollo's weight.

http://pyrpalace.weebly.com/pyr-growth-chart.html

Christi
11-08-2014, 04:58 AM
I will check into that, wasn't really worried about his weight so much as how he acts. He eats very well, he is active and energetic and his fur has gotten so soft and silky. Sorry for confusing the French-Spanish lines. I know that Chico is big was my point.

And yeah he isn't going to be little for much longer. I can already see that he is bigger, his legs are longer for one, that much is obvious, he is still thin I can count his ribs, but with him getting taller I expect that. I am going to do measurements today because I think he is longer too. While I am brushing my yard out of his coat I should be able to measure him.

mips
11-08-2014, 07:26 AM
I believe they're supposed to grow about 1.2 inches a week.

mips
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Nando (12 weeks) was 33.7 pound today.

bjorn
11-11-2014, 10:49 AM
bjorn is now 10.5 weeks 23 pounds

Christi
11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Apollo goes to the vet friday so I will have an update then.

Jewel
11-12-2014, 08:50 PM
bjorn is now 10.5 weeks 23 pounds

I am a bit confused, just about 2 weeks ago you said Bjorn was 10 weeks old and weighing 16 lbs, and now he's 10.5 weeks and 23 lbs?? What was Bjorn's birthday? If 2 weeks ago he was actually 8 weeks old and weighing 16 lbs and now at 10.5 weeks he's 23 lbs, then he is pretty much on track.

bjorn
11-13-2014, 06:40 AM
I am a bit confused, just about 2 weeks ago you said Bjorn was 10 weeks old and weighing 16 lbs, and now he's 10.5 weeks and 23 lbs?? What was Bjorn's birthday? If 2 weeks ago he was actually 8 weeks old and weighing 16 lbs and now at 10.5 weeks he's 23 lbs, then he is pretty much on track.

ya that is what i thought but somehow i did my counting wrong and he is actually a week younger. ugh i can be a bit stupid some time:ambivalence:

Christi
11-14-2014, 08:45 AM
So went to the vet today, Apollo now weighs 16.8 pounds and is 13 weeks old. He has had his second round of shots, Vet says he looks great and is now off quarantine!! He was very well behaved, gave everyone Kisses and sat very prettily. Even after getting his temp taken, a shot and Micro-chipped. The dirt and rock eating is a puppy is bored thing, Vet doesn't think any kind of nutritional deficiency is the cause. With the way he is gaining weight and the condition of his coat and teeth he thinks Apollo needs playmates and as such he can now go to the dog park. Obedience training still has to wait till after the 3rd round of shots, but the dog park is good for me!

mips
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
@Christi: Woohooo! Celebration :party:

Chico was weighted today, he's 71.4 pounds now! And a little over 5 months!

Christi
11-14-2014, 03:31 PM
@Christi: Woohooo! Celebration :party:

I am very happy, and they are impressed with how well he is doing. I am apparently a good puppy parent after all. I am quite pleased at how well behaved he was today :RpS_biggrin:

And how big Chico is getting!!! He is going to be huge!!!

Jewel
11-14-2014, 07:01 PM

He is going to be GIANORMOUS. That is HUGE growth in the short few months.

mips
11-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Tell me about it! We're guessing he's going to be about 80-84 pounds at 6 months... So 160-168 pounds when he's an adult. His grandpa is 132 pounds though, I'm very happy if he's going to be that. But since our kennel club says 6 months = half the adult weight... I'm having to brace myself.

I think his father is maybe around the same as his father (so about 132lbs/32inch), but his mother was about the same height as the father, but 40 pound lighter according to the breeder, she haven't told me their exact weights/heights... But tall mom+tall dad = an even bigger offspring, although, that's how other breeders have explained it to us. That if they put a tall mom with a tall dad the offspring would be too big for shows, so they rather put a tall mom/dad with a bit smaller dad/mom.

He's huge already, but healthy, and that's what counts. People hardly believe he's 5 months when they pass him in the street, they have started to ask if Chico is Nando's mom... :RpS_glare: Not sure how that's going to happen, with two boys ;)

When we tell him he's only 5 months they're like "What?! He's going to be huge!"

Jewel
11-15-2014, 12:24 PM
32 inches at bit over 130 lbs is a really good weight. The two part French breds I saw at Nationals one year were about that size and they looked great, very proportionate.

My experience has been to take the 6 month weight then add 2/3 of whatever they weighed at 6 months and that's about the weight they end up at maturity. If I were to apply that formula to Chico's estimated 6 month weight of 82 lbs, then he would end up around 135 lbs. But the dogs that I've had experience with have not been the super large dogs, so the formula may not be applicable to the bigger sized dogs.

mips
11-15-2014, 01:13 PM
That sounds better to be honest, that kind of math. The 'averages' given in the Netherlands are the following, here you also see that they say they double in size, but there's only one way to know what his weight will really be, and that's wait. I think he'll be at least 130 lbs, but he could as well be more. We're glad he's started needing less food, he still wants as much as he did though :p but he's getting a bit too chubby on it now, so we're giving him a little less.

Average weight for: Males, Females
3 months 35.2 pounds, 33 pounds
4 months 48.5 pounds, 41.8 pounds
5 months 57.3 pounds, 50.7 pounds
6 months 66.1 pounds, 59.5 pounds
7 months 74.9 pounds, 66.1 pounds
9 months 83.7 pounds, 72.7 pounds
12 months 99.2 pounds, 88.1 pounds

male adult dog 2,5 years old 120-132 pounds
female adult dog 2,5 years old 100 pounds

mips
11-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Nando is 13 weeks and was 37,5 last Tuesday! He's ahead of Chico when he was that age. Chico was 33 at 13 weeks.

bjorn
11-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Bjorn is 27.2 pounds at a day before 12 weeks today

Christi
11-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Apollo is 14 weeks and weighs 20.4 pounds. 4 pounds in a week!!!! He is catching up fast, still lean though. I have not turned him into roly poly puppy, can still fell his ribs and hips, which i know is good, bugs me that I can still feel the gap between his ribs, but he is growing so fast that I imagine its hard to get that fat layer built. But anyway wow 4 pounds in 7 days!!!!!

Christi
11-21-2014, 01:21 PM
OH and he had a fun outing today, got to take a drive to the country and breath clean air, meet lots of new people and got a cheese burger from Hardees :RpS_love:took a minute for him to figure out but then begged for more all the way home

bjorn
11-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Got bjorn weighed he is now 28.6

Christi
11-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Got bjorn weighed he is now 28.6

And 13 weeks right? Wow good growth rate going there :)

slick61
12-01-2014, 09:35 AM
at 8 weeks plus 2 days, Wiley weighed in right at 20 lbs... both sire & dam came from working lines, so was expecting a leaner pup... was quite shocked when I showed up at the breeder's... the difference in appearance between 4 and 8 weeks was astonishing. First reaction was... "they're so BIG!" yea... and gonna get bigger! The breeder told me they were "chubby little chowhounds"... and he wasn't kidding! Although... he was free-feeding the pups, so that kinda explains things.

Christi
12-01-2014, 11:02 AM
at 8 weeks plus 2 days, Wiley weighed in right at 20 lbs... both sire & dam came from working lines, so was expecting a leaner pup... was quite shocked when I showed up at the breeder's... the difference in appearance between 4 and 8 weeks was astonishing. First reaction was... "they're so BIG!" yea... and gonna get bigger! The breeder told me they were "chubby little chowhounds"... and he wasn't kidding! Although... he was free-feeding the pups, so that kinda explains things.

Apollo is 2 days shy of 16 weeks and is 23.5 pounds. Still have a way's to go to catch up but are getting there fast.

mips
12-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Nando 14 weeks was 41.5 pounds already... tomorrow (15 weeks) we're going to weight him again!

Christi
12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Nando 14 weeks was 41.5 pounds already... tomorrow (15 weeks) we're going to weight him again!

WOW Big boy ya got there! He is gonna be huge when he is grown.

mips
12-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Chico was 77.6 last Friday and this Friday he's 6 months...

We think they're both going to be enormous!

Christi
12-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Chico was 77.6 last Friday and this Friday he's 6 months...

We think they're both going to be enormous!

I think, your right, not sure about mine yet, I figure by 6 months he should be caught up and we will have a better idea of what he will be like as an adult.

Cabot
12-02-2014, 06:29 AM
6315Cabot at 6 months at his new feeding station that I made from an old crock.6314

bjorn
12-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Bjorn just shot up to 33.4 pounds

Christi
12-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Wow Cabot and Bjorn are both growing tremendously.

mips
12-04-2014, 05:09 AM
Nando is 45 lbs at 15 weeks.

bjorn
12-10-2014, 04:18 PM
bjorn is now 37 pounds

mips
12-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Nando was 49.6 today at the vet! He had his last set of shots now... we're ready for Germany next week!

Snowolf
12-13-2014, 04:00 AM
Hi all - been a while since I've caught up with all the fur babies. Bailey has just turned 11 months and is weighing in at 122 lbs. Prior to hitting 115 lbs Bailey was eating about 6 cups of food per day - 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. For several weeks now I am lucky to get 2 to 3 cups per day into him. Some days he won't eat at all! He is still gaining and healthy but is this something any of you have experienced? It doesn't seem like enough food for such a big guy!

Christi
12-13-2014, 07:07 AM
Hi all - been a while since I've caught up with all the fur babies. Bailey has just turned 11 months and is weighing in at 122 lbs. Prior to hitting 115 lbs Bailey was eating about 6 cups of food per day - 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. For several weeks now I am lucky to get 2 to 3 cups per day into him. Some days he won't eat at all! He is still gaining and healthy but is this something any of you have experienced? It doesn't seem like enough food for such a big guy!

My understanding is that Pyr's have a very slow metabolism and once they get to adulthood they eat less than one would think. Are you still feeding puppy food or have you switched to adult food? If he is healthy and active and still gaining I wouldn't be overly worried. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in and offer more in depth knowledge.

Christi
12-13-2014, 10:27 AM
SO went to the vet for advantage and Apollo is now 4 months 1 weeks and weighs 32 pounds! He is catching back up faster now.

Snowolf
12-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Christi - yes, he is still eating puppy food. I thought his slow down was due to the decrease in rapid growth but just thought 2 to 3 cups was a little low. He will be going for his 1 year check up soon so I'll inquire with his vet.

Christi
12-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Christi - yes, he is still eating puppy food. I thought his slow down was due to the decrease in rapid growth but just thought 2 to 3 cups was a little low. He will be going for his 1 year check up soon so I'll inquire with his vet.

Ok you should be transition him to adult food at this point I will include a link to another thread where it is explained far better than I could do it.
http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showthread.php?35041-Need-Feeding-Advice-for-my-7-month-old-Pyr

Christi
12-14-2014, 08:22 AM
:bump2: past the spam

bjorn
12-15-2014, 01:35 PM
bjorn is 40 pounds now cant believe hes growing so fast

slick61
12-20-2014, 07:08 PM
at 11 weeks, Wiley weighed in at 26 pounds when at the Vet for his shots today... so has only gained 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Of course, we've been trying to wear him out, so he's working off quite a bit of his food intake.

Cabot
12-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Cabot is now bigger than his father & at 7 months weighs 71 lbs. It's amazing how quickly they grow.:couch2:

Windy
12-26-2014, 09:10 AM
My Great pyr Cat is now 5 months old and weights 33lbs. When I was picking her out I looked for temperament first and then bone structure. She had a nice quiet calm personally and still does, but wow I knew she would be smaller her bones were just finer then her siblings when I was feeling them out. I wanted a bit of a smaller pryranees. She eats 4.5 cups of food a day. She was not the runt of the litter either. I'm a little shocked by how well I felt out her body type.

Jewel
12-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Ok, being the owner of a smaller female, I can say 5 months and 33 lbs is pretty petite. Bijou was 41 lbs at 6 months but she had been sick and was nearly 10 lbs underweight. Bijou matured out to be just over 26" tall and 77 lbs (I keep her thin on purpose).

Do you know anything bout your pup's parents' lineage? In my experience (and this is totally non-scientific and may not work with the REALLY large pyrs), if you take the weight of the pup (assuming the pup is in appropriate weight for its size), you can get pretty close to adult size by adding 50% of the weight at 6 months to the pup's weight at 6 months. Like, Bijou should have been about 50 lbs at 6 months, and if I were to take that and add 50% of that weight, that would mean Bijou would be an 75 lb adult - that's pretty much right. With my boy, he was about 46 lbs at 6 months, and using the same formula, he would mature out at just under 70 lbs - that's the case with him as well.

Windy
12-27-2014, 07:43 AM
She is healthy. Cat is a tiny bit shorter then my border Sadie (who weighs 50lbs). My vet care is not expensive because I work there. Cat has had fecale test and blood work done when I did her first shots at 8 weeks. She is health. I did these test because her stole was soft and I wanted to make sure it was just a combination of a change in diet (she was on Costco puppy chow. I changed it to Acana large breed) and stress from the long ride home/ change from farm puppy to house puppy and training. Her stoles are normal now. I expect her to be the size of a large golden. The only thing I can think of that would make her smaller for her age is if she was not the age the breeder told me she was. If she was 6 weeks instead of 8 weeks when I got her. Which would explain why she has not lost a single puppy tooth yet. Though the vet believes she is the correct age. I'm questioning. Questioning it or not it doesn't change anything about her or her life..... Well I might be feeding her more then the recommended amount. Lol but she isn't over weight so I'm not worried about it.

mips
12-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Is she a fullbreed Pyr, or is it a mix? If there's something smaller in the mix it might explain her being on the small side.

Our 4 month old (18 weeks) old is already 56 pounds... My 6 month old (28 weeks) was 81.3 pounds.

Jewel
12-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I expect her to be the size of a large golden.

LOL, that made me chuckle because, over here, it is not unusual for large golden retrievers to be over 100 lbs... If your pup grows up to be over 100 lbs, that would not be small for a female pyr at all :biggrin1:

The only thing I can think of that would make her smaller for her age is if she was not the age the breeder told me she was. If she was 6 weeks instead of 8 weeks when I got her. Which would explain why she has not lost a single puppy tooth yet.

If you think she is 5 months and she hasn't lost any puppy teeth then she may very well likely to be a LOT closer to 4 months old rather than 5 months.

As for size, if the pup is truly 5 months old, she is very small. Having said that, however, I know that there are certain lines in Canada that produce smaller size dogs. There was a member from Canada on the boards a few years back and she had two from show lines. Her male was less than 90 lbs full grown and her female was in the 70s. In 2013 I saw the top Canadian female pyr at the U.S. National show. I love that bitch. She has a beautiful head and is beautifully structured. I've always seen her in pictures and when I saw her in person, I was surprised that she's actually smaller than my own female (I had Bijou there the show with me so I did a good comparison), so she's pretty petite. I would say she is just about 25" tall, the minimum for breed standard.

Mip's boys are from European lines. The European dogs are on average taller than the North American line pyrs.

Windy
01-02-2015, 08:09 AM
I found something interesting. I don't know how accurate it is. It's a weight calculator it apparently it will give you your puppies expected adult weight. You just fill in the fields. http://www.puppychart.com

Windy
01-02-2015, 08:28 AM
I'm well aware of how big a large golden can grow. I'm just not expecting her to weigh 160lbs. Lol unless I over feed her. The larges golden I have worked with weighed 130lbs. Mind you he was over weight.

Herecomesspot
01-02-2015, 10:11 AM
My puppy Odin weighed 13.7 pounds at five weeks and four days. It seems hes gsining 3/4 pound a day. He was 7.5 pounds at twenty eight days wonder how big hewill be?
:))

Christi
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Wont work right for Apollo, says his adult weight will be 80 pounds. It doesn't take into account the massive weight loss. He goes to the vet on Monday for last shots for a year and I will get a weight then. He has been steady on the freeze dried raw food, and I swear I can see that he is taller and broader in the rear end. I can still feel his ribs but not the spaces between. And I can barely feel his hip bones. I can't remember if that is too heavy or not, I will have to look through and find the post, seems to me that he starts to look a bit chunky then gets taller and leans out though. His walks are longer, his choice, after a ten minute walk he wants right back out he is now walking about 20 minutes, now a good 10 of those minutes are nothing more than sniffing. Its a slow leisurely walk, we don't let him run. Now he runs in the back yard here and there. But I notice he tires fairly quick and takes a good 1 to 2 hour nap afterwards. I think I am a little off on his age the last few posts here. He was born on Aug 15th so he is just 4 and 1/2 months now.

queenb113
01-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Marley @ 8 months is 85.4 lbs and 26 3/4 inches tall. He's gaining weight at about 10 lbs/month. Think his growth is slowing down though because he doesn't eat as much now as he did a few months ago.

tucker
01-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Tucker turns 6 months on the 9th and is weighing in at 65 lbs.

bjorn
01-03-2015, 12:09 PM
bjorn got weighed and is about 47 pounds at eighteen weeks that being said the vet told me he was fairly underweight so more likely according to the vet should be around 53

Janet
01-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Zoie is weighing in at 62 lbs at 7 months of age. :RpS_biggrin:

chicknshrimp
01-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Ill play! Toby is 51 lbs at 18 wks, the vet said he is slightly underweight but he's so active he forgets to eat. Sebastian is 7.9 lbs at 4 wks.

Christi
01-04-2015, 09:40 AM
man you people with your gianormous puppies are making me feel bad about my puny little guy

chicknshrimp
01-04-2015, 10:24 AM
man you people with your gianormous puppies are making me feel bad about my puny little guy

He'll catch right up :)

Christi
01-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I am excited for his vet visit tomorrow, I wanna know how much he weighs now. He is getting so big now. Granted he is a pocket Pyr still, but I swear every day he seems to be bigger than the day before.

mips
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
I found something interesting. I don't know how accurate it is. It's a weight calculator it apparently it will give you your puppies expected adult weight. You just fill in the fields. http://www.puppychart.com

That puppy chart thing is really not accurate.

My puppy weighted 9.3 pounds on the 28th of July (born on the 6th of June). According to THEIR estimations he would become 42 pounds as an adult. (laugh laugh)

He's now 81.3 (at the 23th of December) and according to their estimations he would become 106 as an adult. Which can't be right cause he comes from a big line with dogs that are all around 130 LBS. Our estimations are that he gets over the 130, cause both his father and mother were really tall.

Jewel
01-04-2015, 04:38 PM

Agree with Mips, that thing is totally wrong for the giant breed calculations. Someone else brought it up some time ago and I had great fun playing with it then, getting all the wrong answers. :biggrin-new:

Christi
01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
I don't think it does either somehow I think Apollo will weight more than 80 pounds.

mips
01-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Being a male, he most probably will!

Christi
01-05-2015, 08:10 AM
SO Apollo is now fully vaccinated for the next year, and weighs in at a whopping 44.3 pounds. Still low, but closing the gap nicely. He is 10 days shy of being 5 months old.

Jewel
01-05-2015, 09:05 AM
SO Apollo is now fully vaccinated for the next year, and weighs in at a whopping 44.3 pounds. Still low, but closing the gap nicely. He is 10 days shy of being 5 months old.

Don't know how big Apollo's parents are but quite a lot of pyrs are not in that 160 lb range. I have actually never met one that is 160 lbs. I've met males that are in the 140 lb range that are obviously overweight. The males that I've met in the 28"-30" range that are in good weight have been at 100-120 lbs.

Christi
01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Don't know how big Apollo's parents are but quite a lot of pyrs are not in that 160 lb range. I have actually never met one that is 160 lbs. I've met males that are in the 140 lb range that are obviously overweight. The males that I've met in the 28"-30" range that are in good weight have been at 100-120 lbs.

Now his parents are fairy big, Mom is 97 pounds Dad is 140 pounds. Now I will say that both of them were bought from other farms and there could be something else in the mix. No one has papers so no way to really know. Now that i have been here a while and seen many different pyrs, wouldn't surprise me to find out that somewhere down the line there is a bit of anatolian in the mix. the ones that were badgers, sorta had the look one would expect of an cross there. Vet seems to think Apollo will be right about 120 pounds. Doesn't really matter to me, i just want him to be healthy and happy.

mips
01-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Chico is already in the 28 - 30 range... We think he's about 86 pound now. Tomorrow we'll weight him again.

It's hard to measure him to be fairly honest, but he's somewhere in between 28.7 and 29.9. One day we measure him on 29.9, and the next 28.7, probably depends on which position he's standing in.

He'll be approx. 32" when done growing. So I think guessing that he's going to be a bit over 130 pounds is not too weird.

@Christi, Apollo still has a lot of catching up to do, this might not even be fully done until he's an adult. He might grow a bit longer because of him being behind.

Christi
01-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Yes he does, but ya know looking at him he is in great health. His coat is thick and healthy, he is nicely proportioned not to thin, and not to chunky. Either way I am happy that he is making good progress and the weight will work its self out.

mips
01-05-2015, 04:36 PM
He might surprise you, and become bigger than you've imagined!

I love the thick coat on Chico, Nando is still a bit... puppycoated, adult hair is setting in slowly now. With Chico I'm always running my hands through his hair :D

Christi
01-05-2015, 04:53 PM
now I am wondering about Apollos coat, its really a lot softer and fuller, I noticed after the parvo his hair was a bit wiry but now its gotten very nice, I think its the raw food I am supplementing him with. I think maybe the parvo cause his coat to be rougher and its now getting back to normal. He gained 11 pounds in about 2 and a half weeks, and I know that is the raw food. Once we started giving him that, he started to eat a lot more. It is freeze dried and I wet it then mix it with his kibble. He was eating maybe 3 cups a day and now with adding this he is eating total including the raw about 4 and a half. That is a little more than he should be eating, but his body condition is still good, he is not chunky, I can still feel his ribs but they are no longer prominent.

bjorn
01-06-2015, 05:46 AM
so when i went to the vet with bjorn the vet told me he was fairly skinny (to which i agreed) and that i should try feeding him more. Now previous to this the big guy was getting about 4-5 cups of food a day four times a day of orijen large breed puppy food which is pretty much as close to raw as you can get in kibble with several freeze dried raw treats and freeze dried lamb lung through out the day. now he is eating close to 6 cups and somedays 8! this makes me question how much im feeding him he is by no means fat if anything he is still on the skinny side but 6-8 cups a day makes me wondering if im fattening him up because everything i read is that pyrs usaully eat 4-5.5 cups a day throughout their life. Last thing i want to do is overfeed him and give him hip problems. could this be a growth spurt thing? he is now close to 25 inches at the shoulder.

Christi
01-06-2015, 05:58 AM
so when i went to the vet with bjorn the vet told me he was fairly skinny (to which i agreed) and that i should try feeding him more. Now previous to this the big guy was getting about 4-5 cups of food a day four times a day of orijen large breed puppy food which is pretty much as close to raw as you can get in kibble with several freeze dried raw treats and freeze dried lamb lung through out the day. now he is eating close to 6 cups and somedays 8! this makes me question how much im feeding him he is by no means fat if anything he is still on the skinny side but 6-8 cups a day makes me wondering if im fattening him up because everything i read is that pyrs usaully eat 4-5.5 cups a day throughout their life. Last thing i want to do is overfeed him and give him hip problems. could this be a growth spurt thing? he is now close to 25 inches at the shoulder.

I have noticed with Apollo that some days he eats a lot, then other days not much at all. He doesn't always eat first thing in the morning, unless its a Stella and Chewy day, yesterday he didn't eat much but he got shots and slept most of the day. Today he is ravenous. It is a Stella and Chewy day so he ate all of his 2 1/2 cups of food and now has more down.

mips
01-06-2015, 09:51 AM
@Christi: When Nando first got here his hair was very wiry too, very coarse. We washed him and that took off some of the coarseness, but now if I feel him, he's really soft. Could be the raw diet, they get it here too. Chico has always been soft.

Today Chico (7 months) was 85.5 pounds and Nando (4 and a half months) was 64.1 pounds.

Christi
01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Man your dogs are big!! Ya know i think you are right with the raw food. I do think it has gotten softer since I started adding that too his food.

mips
01-06-2015, 12:07 PM
I think it's the raw protein and the fats in there, they do wonders for fur. I think hairs are thicker too than of dogs without raw meat in their diet.

Antonia
01-07-2015, 02:41 PM

When pups are growing there can be a lot of changes in the amount of food they will eat. You definitely don't want to overfeed but it is important that you feed based on the condition of the dog and not the actual amount of cups he is eating. For a period of time my young Pyr boy was eating 8+ cups of kibble a day but he was not overweight at all. I keep my pups on the slender side when they are growing but every pup is different in the amount they will eat to maintain good condition. Does Bjorn have any GI issues that might be contributing to his not gaining weight?

Jewel
01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
so when i went to the vet with bjorn the vet told me he was fairly skinny (to which i agreed) and that i should try feeding him more. now he is eating close to 6 cups and somedays 8!

If you had said he's eating 8 cups of Orijen a day and still very thin, I would be a little bit concerned if there is anything off with his nutrient absorption. But if he's eating 6 cups a day on average, he's not particularly getting fed overly much for a pup his age and being a male. My female Bijou is not big for a female (she's less than 80 lbs full grown) and for a period she was eating about 5 cups of Orijen a day and was still rail thin. But she is a particularly active pyr.

Each dog has a different metabolism and so some pups will burn more calories than others. Just watch that if he's put on weight you want to adjust the kibble amount as needed so that he's not overweight.

mips
01-08-2015, 01:46 AM
I'm not sure if Orijen is beef-based, but around 16 weeks we found out Chico doesn't progress beef well at all. We've noticed he wasn't processing something well, but then we found out it was beef. Since then he hasn't gotten it anymore and eats a LOT less and got a little chubby due to the fact we had to figure out what he had to eat now. Now at 7 months, he's on the right weight again.

I do have to say that Chico has a raw meat diet and that unprocessed beef is of course different than processed beef, but maybe Bjorn has more problems processing beef.

bjorn
01-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Boneless chicken*, chicken meal, chicken liver*, whole herring*, boneless turkey*, turkey meal, turkey liver*, whole eggs*, boneless walleye*, whole salmon*, chicken heart*, chicken cartilage*, herring meal, salmon meal, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, chicken liver oil, chicken fat, sun-cured alfalfa, yams*, pea fiber, chickpeas, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*, blueberries*, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium. these are all the ingredients of orijen large breed puppy food no beef

mips
01-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Maybe it's not beef for Bjorn, but chicken. And there's a lot of ingredients in his food, and each one of those could cause digestion to go wrong. With Chico it was fairly easy to figure it out and yet it took time. He gets raw meat, so I knew exactly what I was putting into him and when. And even then it took me a while.

queenb113
01-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Marley went through a phase like that where it seemed like we couldn't satisfy his appetite. I cut him off at 5.5 cups because I was following the guidelines on the bag, but judging by the way he would devour his food in less than a minute, I'm sure he would have eaten much more than that if we had let him. About 1.5 months ago though he stopped eating that much. Now about 3-4 cups seems to be all he will eat in a day. Anything more he will just leave in his bowl. So my two cents about what your dog is going through is that it could be just a growth spurt. Perhaps just follow the feeding guidelines on the bag if you are worried about Bjorn becoming overweight.

mips
01-09-2015, 01:37 AM
Perhaps just follow the feeding guidelines on the bag if you are worried about Bjorn becoming overweight.

But the vet said Bjorn was too skinny right? Why feed him less and let him become even more skinny? Yes I see that Bjorn's owner is afraid he'll overfeed and give him hip problems, but people really should feed on the 'eyes', you feel him every day if you must, feel his ribs, if he feels skinny, feed a bit more, if he feels like he's 'perfect', start feeding a bit less so he wont be too chubby. Obviously the guidelines on the bag are too little for Bjorn. Every dog is different, that's why it's guidelines.

And I would definitely try changing the main protein income see if he'll start doing better on a different one.

Also, how is Bjorns poop? Maybe a gross subject, but is it fast? Or very runny? Poop says a lot about how a dog is digesting his food.

bjorn
01-09-2015, 12:18 PM
most of the time i would say dark and firm every now and then something a little soft but 99 percent of the time its the previous.

mips
01-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Chico had diarrhea a lot while on fresh meat the poop should be very firm (sometimes it's like rocks!) and small... Cutting out the beef, did wonders for him.

If his feces is dark and firm, maybe he just eats more than normal... I wouldn't worry too much about overfeeding him if you're feeling him frequently.

Jewel
01-09-2015, 01:41 PM
I am with Mips that feed pups according to their body condition. If Bjorn is eating 6 cups a day and still appears hungry AND he is still too thin, then up the kibble amount. Then if he starts to fill out, then you can adjust amounts down accordingly.

Dogs that have sensitivity to a protein source usually will have really icky poop. If Bjorn's bowel movements are firm and regular, and he is not itching or breaking out somewhere, then he's probably not having issues with the food. Some dogs really just require more food than others, it's like that with humans as well. Bijou is fed 1/3 less than what I feed Bro. Bro is 10 lbs lighter but eats more because he has a higher metabolism. Even at 10 yrs old, he burns calories faster than the younger Bijou.

slick61
01-10-2015, 12:16 PM
at 14 weeks (plus 1 day)... Wiley's at 33 pounds...

Christi
01-10-2015, 01:50 PM
So I have a question about feeding, It is not my Pyr but my lab, we have come to the conclusion that she will be a very large dog based on the weight and approximate age she is now. Should I be feeding her like a giant breed? I worry cause she is a roly poly puppy and I can't feel any bones on her at all, and if we are correct in thinking that she will be 70 to 80 pounds does this constitute a giant breed, or are the weight guidelines for any breed of dog? Sorry this is not Pyr related, but she is an im-Pyr-sonator.

bjorn
01-10-2015, 02:12 PM
im-pyr-sonator... (sigh):applause: that was awesome

Jewel
01-10-2015, 02:37 PM
if we are correct in thinking that she will be 70 to 80 pounds does this constitute a giant breed, or are the weight guidelines for any breed of dog?

Yes, she would be considered large breed and thus the same too fast growth, should stay thin kind of cautions would apply o her. Those giant breed concerns apply to Bijou, who is 77 lbs.

Christi
01-10-2015, 03:10 PM
im-pyr-sonator... (sigh):applause: that was awesome

HEHE I thought so :RpS_thumbsup:

Yes, she would be considered large breed and thus the same too fast growth, should stay thin kind of cautions would apply o her. Those giant breed concerns apply to Bijou, who is 77 lbs.

So I need to thin her down. She is really chunky. Can't feel any bones in her body except her skull and lower leg bones.

MadMaxMama
01-10-2015, 03:50 PM
So my little guy I just took in a couple of days ago. The guy I took him from claimed he was pure blooded and the daddy was a BIG boy.

Well either way when I got my hands on him he wreaked of farm animals (which I suppose given the breed is acceptable). But he was also covered in fleas, had a belly full of worms and seemed extremely small for the 9 weeks this guy was claiming the pup to be. I immediately took him to the vet for shots, flea treatment and dewormer but when they weighed him, he was only 8 lbs... Now clearly I am very happy to have rescued this puppy from less than savory conditions but does this mean he's going to be a total shrimp forever? They were feeding him Beneful (ew) I feed him Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy now...

mips
01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
You have good pictures of him? He might be way younger than they said he was.

My big boy Chico was 9 lbs at 7 weeks, which was pretty small for his age too. Could be your pup is 6-7 weeks. What did the vet say about his age?

Now Chico is 7 months and 86 lbs, which is extremely big for his age. I wouldn't worry too much about his weight if he's not too skinny, he should have some fat on his ribs, but you should still feel his ribs quite good.

Antonia
01-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Congratulations on your new pup! He looks adorable. Many pups that start out small will more than catch up in size as they mature. I raised a runt puppy that was 10lbs at around 11weeks of age and she ended up being normal size as an adult and despite having intractable Giardia for months as a pup...

Jewel
01-10-2015, 04:31 PM
That pup in the pic looks awfully babyish. Not sure he's actually a 9 week old. Maybe closer to 7 weeks. If he's 7 weeks then his weight is about where the range is.

Antonia
01-10-2015, 04:46 PM

We were advised to manage Pippy's food intake as a giant breed also despite the fact she is only 1/2 Pyr. She turned out to be a much smaller girl than any of our other dogs but she has topped the scale at 72lbs. Since her knee issues I've taken her weight down to about 65lbs. She looks tiny to me but I think I've lost perspective when it comes to sizing dogs... I still think of Tyro as my baby and everyone's eyes drop out of their heads when they see the size of the boy! :)

Christi
01-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Now Nya is small, in height and length, but girth? She is super chunky, and just from reading here I knew it couldn't be good for her. I have an online friend that lives in Canada and he was looking at the close up pictures of her face and her paws and he seems to think she could be an English or Canadian lab, they are a lot bigger and have stouter frames than the american lines do. He has also said to thin her out some, as they have some of the same issues with bones and joints. I figure someone was feeding her food with lots of filler or something. I have had to just feed her Apollos food so we have had a bit of gastric issues but she seems to be doing better with that.

I am still giving Apollo the stella and chewies but have not introduced it to her at this point. I have no idea what she was eating before but I am certain that I have given her stuff she hasn't had before. We do the Blue chicken soft training treats, the taste of the wild hard treats, and i bounce between the duck and the salmon flavored ones. Still feed the 4health kibble, so I am sticking to the soft treats and kibble with her till we have her poo in the right shape. Then I will slowly add the others. Apollo is doing quite well on this regimen so I want to keep to it. We do the raw food every other day with his breakfast kibble and he is at a good growth rate.

Herecomesspot
01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Odin was born Nov 11 2014 he now weighs 20 pounds.:) I was thinking mixing puppy food taste of the wild with nutro grain free salmon and or venison. He is also on nuvet vitamin 1 a day and sprinkling powdered milk on his dry food. I just got him from breeder thursday night. Any duggedtions on getting him crate trained without him being so upset?. His tounge was out of his mouth after 20 min:( After losing my last pyr to congestive heart failure i donf want him to have stress.

Jewel
01-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Crate training is in many cases tough love. Thus for some pups, it would cause some stress. Congestive heart failure is in many cases a genetic issue. If you are careful and got your pup from a breeder that responsibly stayed free of that genetic problem, your pup should not have that problem.

MadMaxMama
01-12-2015, 08:09 AM

This is my rescue puppy. From everything I'm reading, he's super tiny for his age (supposedly 9wks and only 8 lbs). However, he also does NOT boast the double dews, in fact, his dews feel wierd- more like a flap of skin with a bib of nail- certainly not attached to a bone or anything. Now I really couldn't care less if he isn't pure bred, but perhaps someone with a trained eye could tell me if he's a mix and if he perhaps looks a bit younger than I was told? I was really hoping he'd be a big war horse-dog when grown.

MadMaxMama
01-12-2015, 08:36 AM
AND if he is younger than thought, if there's anything I should do for him to make sure he's healthy- like a certain food brand or vitamin supplement or something. I don't want my poor itty to suffer because he was taken away from mama too early.

nick's spirit
01-12-2015, 09:44 AM
herecomesspot
How are you trying to crate train him?
can you feed him & gradually move his food into the crate during the day, leaving the gate open?
give him a high quality treat when he's in the crate. we used to give Rudy a pigs ear or something for him to really chew on when he was in his crate, it served 2 purposes, it was the only time he got that treat & the other dogs couldn't take it away from him so he was safe & secure.
and the other....put the crate in your bedroom, by your bed if possible & tough it out for a couple of nights....7-10 days.

nick's spirit
01-12-2015, 09:51 AM
MadMaxMama
He's a cutie!!
Hard to say about age & weight. In Rudy's litter he was the average size pup...but one of his siblings was extremely large (weight & size ) and the girls were smaller. How is his appetite? Does he devour everything in his bowl & look for more? I think even tho he may look small to you now, I would keep him on a large breed type of food, feed him 3-4 times a day & not mess too much with his digestive system as it is still probably adjusting to solid foods.
Rudy's dews are firmly attached, Holly's flop around...both are pure Pyr...so all are different
so what is the new pups name?!!!

MadMaxMama
01-13-2015, 07:59 AM
His name is Max, we call him Mad Max :)

Thank you, I guess I'm just paranoid when it comes to my pets' health. I want him to grow big!!

Pjg8r
01-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Welcome to you and Max.

You have mentioned a couple of times that you want a "big" dog. The size ranges for a pure great pyr vary quite a bit. Not only that, he may have some Maremma or something else in him and they tend to be smaller.

If Max is given a nourishing diet and is healthy he will grow to whatever size is right for him. That may be 70 pounds or well over 100. Enjoy the baby days. When they do start to have growth spurts I think they literally grow over night.

Jewel
01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
AND if he is younger than thought, if there's anything I should do for him to make sure he's healthy- like a certain food brand or vitamin supplement or something. I don't want my poor itty to suffer because he was taken away from mama too early.

If you are feeding a good quality food, I would refrain from supplementing the pup with extra supplements. It is MORE important for giant breed pups to grow in a even manner for the health for their bones and joints. There is absolutely NO need to try to speed up growth. If the food is decent quality food, like Pjg8r said, the pup will grow as large as his genes dictate at the rate his body is designed to do.

Even assuming your pup is actually a couple of weeks younger than 9 weeks, being taken away from mom at 6-7 weeks is usually not an issue with respect to lack of nutrition since pups are usually weaned at 4 weeks and by the time they are 6 weeks they are eating solid food. The issue of removing pup from its mom and littermates at younger than 8 weeks is about missing out critical socialization that the pup would otherwise get from its mom & littermates.

MadMaxMama
01-21-2015, 04:21 PM
I had to take my little man to the vet yesterday- he had coccidia(?spelling) :( But tons of meds later, he's already bounced back to his typical awesome self! But he went from just under 7.6 lbs last week, to 12.4 lbs this week- even with the sickness. And honestly I think he's still too thin, I can feel his ribs pretty clearly, and his hips seem overly pronounced through his fur... I feed him 3 times a day, I'd say a 1 1/2 cup each of the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy... I'm thinking that isn't enough? But don't want to over feed him?

Christi
01-21-2015, 06:50 PM
That sounds about right to me. Apollo is the picture of good health, and I can feel his ribs and up until now (at 5 months) I could feel his hips clearly. Now he is starting to fill out and I can just feel his hips, but his ribs are more pronounced. Are you keeping track of his height? Because they grow tall quite fast and that will keep them on the lean side body wise. Much as I would love to have a huge dog, I do not want a huge dog with severe pain from bone and joint damage. In my opinion you are feeding him a quality food, and quite a lot of it, so he will grow. Give him time and you will soon see the growth spurts we are talking about. 5 pounds in a week is a big weight gain. Stop worrying about it and just enjoy him :)

Jewel
01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
That sounds about right to me. Apollo is the picture of good health, and I can feel his ribs and up until now (at 5 months) I could feel his hips clearly. Now he is starting to fill out and I can just feel his hips, but his ribs are more pronounced. Are you keeping track of his height? Because they grow tall quite fast and that will keep them on the lean side body wise. Much as I would love to have a huge dog, I do not want a huge dog with severe pain from bone and joint damage. In my opinion you are feeding him a quality food, and quite a lot of it, so he will grow. Give him time and you will soon see the growth spurts we are talking about. 5 pounds in a week is a big weight gain. Stop worrying about it and just enjoy him :)

:applause: :RpS_thumbsup:

Apollothegreat
01-22-2015, 06:11 PM
My baby boy apollo is 10 weeks last weight at 7 weeks was 23lbs. He's a big chunk and will be going to the vet tomorrow for a well exam

Christi
01-22-2015, 06:30 PM
My baby boy apollo is 10 weeks last weight at 7 weeks was 23lbs. He's a big chunk and will be going to the vet tomorrow for a well exam

My boy is named Apollo as well, welcome to the forums, and pictures, we LOVE pictures!!!

queenb113
01-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Marley @ 9 months = 89 lbs.

bjorn
01-24-2015, 03:35 PM
bjorn 21 weeks about 60 pounds he put on about 15 in 3.5 weeks

Antonia
01-24-2015, 04:36 PM
bjorn 21 weeks about 60 pounds he put on about 25 in 3.5 weeks

Really? 25lbs in 3 weeks? I guess he just wanted to scare you into thinking he wasn't gaining and then make up for it all at once?!!

queenb113
01-24-2015, 05:02 PM
bjorn 21 weeks about 60 pounds he put on about 25 in 3.5 weeks

Wow that is amazing!!! Holy smokes gonna be a big pup!

bjorn
01-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Woops ment to say 15:RpS_ohmy:

mips
01-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Nando, 5 months (23 weeks) is now 72 LBS!

Antonia
01-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Mips, those are some seriously big boys you have!!

mips
01-27-2015, 02:51 PM
I know! We love it :RpS_blushing: We did pick big parents (with good hips) for a reason! There's so much difference in size... Chico is nearing the max. of 32" already, we don't know how tall he is exactly. We just measure the things he walks past. And sometimes we try and take his height with a pen, but he doesn't want to stand still. I think Chico is somewhere between 90-100lbs... We'll measure him next week Friday (the 6th) when he's 8 months old.

Nando is only 0.44 lbs (200 gram) heavier than Chico was at this age, while he has been almost 3lbs ahead of Chico so far.

Christi
01-28-2015, 07:10 AM
I will take apollo to the vet for a weigh in most likely next week but I am sure he is over 50 possibly nearing 60 at this stage. He has gotten quite tall as well, in pictures It is kind of hard to show just how tall he is his head is even with my dining room table, and the table is 30 inches. So at his shoulder he must be about 26 inches or so. With his rapid growth we have to get a weight before giving him his heart worm preventative. He is due on the 13 so right around then he will go in to be weighed, so most likely next friday, that should be fairly close.

slick61
01-31-2015, 12:16 PM
at 17 weeks, Wiley tips the scale at 44 pounds...

Moose
02-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Hello, We are new to this forum, we have our sweet Moose who is 13 weeks old tomorrow, just went to the vets yesterday he is 31.8lbs. We just wanna make sure he is on a good weight track & what might his adult weight be?

Jewel
02-01-2015, 12:42 PM
31 lbs at 3 months is average. He will grow up to be as big as his genes dictate. The most important thing is to make sure he doesn't get chubby. Extra weight is not good for a giant breed pup. :)

Moose
02-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Thank you Jewel, he grows daily..lol. we go back to the vet in 4 weeks. What is the averyage weight he should gain weekly, we are feeding him 4.5 cups a day, which we just bumped up to last week and he seems happy with that? It that to much or to little?

Jewel
02-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Thank you Jewel, he grows daily..lol. we go back to the vet in 4 weeks. What is the averyage weight he should gain weekly, we are feeding him 4.5 cups a day, which we just bumped up to last week and he seems happy with that? It that to much or to little?

Feed according to his body condition. You want to be able to feel his ribs but you don't want to be able to count the ribs individually. The average is about 10 lbs a month up until they are about 7-8 months then some start to slow down but others continue to grow at a fast rate. Either way, body condition is key.

Moose
02-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks, apprectiate your input. Have a good week.

mips
02-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Nando, almost 6 months (25 weeks) is now 75 lbs. Chico, just 8 months is 92.6 lbs.

Damn these boys grow fast and big... :RpS_cool:

MadMaxMama
02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
At 12 weeks Max weighs 27 lbs now! This booger has sent me to the vet multiple times by eating dirt and getting sick too. I love him to the absolute bottom of my heart though, and even Chance is warming up to his puppy antics! He's an amazing dog all around.

nick's spirit
02-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Those are great photos MadMaxMama....the two of them together is precious!!

Christi
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Apollo was 67 pounds the day he turned 6 months :)

chicknshrimp
03-06-2015, 06:06 PM
An update on my big boys...

Toby is 73lbs at 6.5 months
Sebastian was 22lbs at 9wks, is now 12 wks and I would guess 35lbs

MadMaxMama
03-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I can't hold this monster anymore, he's not too heavy yet- just too big! While I'm unsure of weight currently, I just felt a need to post pics :) Max now rolls his eyes at the camera- ma takes too many darn pictures!!6920

This guy also does love his mulch to dig into... I need to replace it with something, not sure what, but he eats it too- UGH!!6921

I apologize for the poor quality photos, I just have a cell phone- no fancy cameras.

mips
03-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Chico, 9 months is now 95.3, he's growing a lót slower now... Last month he gained 2.6 pound. He's still going up though! And still far above average :bounce:

Christi
03-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Apollo will be 7 months on the 15th of this month and weighs 77.3 pounds. The vet says he is now at his proper weight. So after 5 months of good quality foods, and a good healthy lifestyle we have taken a puppy who was over half his body weight underweight, to being right back on track with his weight and body condition. They also commented on how beautiful his coat is, and how lovable he has become. Everyone is very happy with the progress he has made since I got him and I have to thank you guys, I got so much good advice and support and do not doubt that you were a huge part of him being the dog he is today.

Antonia
03-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Apollo will be 7 months on the 15th of this month and weighs 77.3 pounds. The vet says he is now at his proper weight. So after 5 months of good quality foods, and a good healthy lifestyle we have taken a puppy who was over half his body weight underweight, to being right back on track with his weight and body condition. They also commented on how beautiful his coat is, and how lovable he has become. Everyone is very happy with the progress he has made since I got him and I have to thank you guys, I got so much good advice and support and do not doubt that you were a huge part of him being the dog he is today.

Yay, Apollo! I knew you could do it! :cheer2:

Christi
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
I am so proud of him! He is such a big lovebug. We went to the pet store and got his most favorite cookies and a bully stick for him and Roxy both! He had to meet everyone there, and was quite the charming gentleman. No jumping, no barking and a big big smile for everyone he saw. The oldest grandson will be here for a visit next week and I can't wait to see them together. Silas is 4 and big for his age, and has not seen apollo since he was about 4 months old. Should be fun.

Jewel
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Apollo will be 7 months on the 15th of this month and weighs 77.3 pounds.

Ha, that's how big Bijou is!

Christi
03-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Yeah he has become a big boy, it doesn't seem like it till we meet other dogs of a normal size, then I am like wow what a huge boy he is!

mips
03-12-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm like that too! He's my baby boy until we meet a labrador... then suddenly he's HUGE.

Fun fact: 75lbs for 7 months is considered average in the Netherlands! Go figure ;)

Christi
03-12-2015, 02:49 PM
That is what my vet says, he is average for his age. Not overly big not overly small just right back on track :)

Sunny
03-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Momo is 15 week and weight 24 pounds..it she a little under weight?6960

NewPyrFan
03-12-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm all stressed out about my Apollo (who will be 5 months old on Sunday) because when he was last weighed, about 5 days ago, he was only 37 pounds. I had no idea that that was low until reading these kinds of threads. He doesn't look unhealthy and has plenty of energy and appetite. He has never left a scrap of food in his bowl when we feed him. But now I'm all concerned that he isn't as big as he should be and I'm not sure why? He did have coccidia and giardia for about a month (he came to us that way) and he just got the clean bill of health last week, so maybe that has had something to do with it? I'll attach a picture for reference. It's not a great picture of size and it's from a few weeks ago but it's the best I've got with me at work and it's also very cute haha.

Christi
03-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Momo is fine. I would say she is right on track. Now your Apollo is a little small for his age. Both of those conditions cause some serious runs, and will make the puppy lose weight. However I can tell you he will catch back up and be fine. More important than weight is his body condition. What you are looking for is a thin but not skinny pup. You should be able to feel ribs with slight pressure, but not the spaces between them. Not sure what you are feeding your pup but food is also important. You need to have them on a high quality kibble, and really look at ingredients. Calcium should be between 1% and 1.5% I will also link a comparison chart here for you to look over. I won't drag out the soap box but I will say my dogs do not get corn soy or wheat.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ What I have done was look at nutrition, and value. I feed mine a mix of 4health and Taste of the Wild. And just so you know that being small is nothing to really worry about at 8 weeks my Apollo weighed 8.8 pounds. At that point he should have been around 20 and at 7 months of age he has caught back up and is back on track. It was hard to not stuff him full of stuff so he gained faster, but that is not good for them at all and sticking to good quality food did it for us.

Antonia
03-12-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm all stressed out about my Apollo (who will be 5 months old on Sunday) because when he was last weighed, about 5 days ago, he was only 37 pounds. I had no idea that that was low until reading these kinds of threads. He doesn't look unhealthy and has plenty of energy and appetite. He has never left a scrap of food in his bowl when we feed him. But now I'm all concerned that he isn't as big as he should be and I'm not sure why? He did have coccidia and giardia for about a month (he came to us that way) and he just got the clean bill of health last week, so maybe that has had something to do with it? I'll attach a picture for reference. It's not a great picture of size and it's from a few weeks ago but it's the best I've got with me at work and it's also very cute haha.

I had a pup that was the runt and also had Giardia that we weren't able to clear up for months. A real nightmare. She ended up gaining her proper weight over time and was a normal sized adult. I think you will find that like Christi's Apollo, your boy will catch up in time and get to a very normal weight. Might just take him a few months to get back on track. He is very cute. :)

Dakota
03-12-2015, 06:47 PM
My Dakota weighed in at 38 pounds at 18 weeks. She is healthy in every way according to the vet and though tall and lanky at this stage has just enough meat on her bones. I don't concern myself with her weight or her eventual size. My only concern is that she is happy and healthy. If I knew how to attach a picture I would. You can see her most recent pictures in my album. I think she looks great although bear in mind that is her Momma talkin.

Christi
03-12-2015, 07:48 PM
I think Dakota looks great! Apollo went through the lanky kinda stage too. Seemed like he was all legs and head! Now he looks pretty bulky because he has a super thick coat. You can still feel ribs but not bad, just the way he should be. I think the reason i was so worried about weight was how terribly small he was because of the parvo. Back then you could feel every bone in his body and it was just horrifying. You would never know it now though. He is the poster child of good health.

Dakota
03-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I have been following Apollo's story for quite a while now. He is beautiful. I have a longhair mini doxie named Luke. He weighs under 10 pounds and is 6 years old. Last year he barely survived the Chinese Treat disaster. He spent 2 weeks at the vets office and I was convinced I was going to lose him. The vet put his chances at 10 percent survival and told me to prepare to make a very hard decision. I had spent hours each day at the clinic holding him in my arms and rocking him in a chair that they provided. When hope was lost, I was told to take him home for the night and cuddle with him. The next morning he lifted his head and wagged his tail. Turned out he was a warrior. He made a full recovery and is the light of my life. I mention this because I marvel constantly how courageous and resilent our furbabies are. I marvel also at the power of our love for them. I am so happy that Apollo proved himself a warrior too. I have added a picture of Luke to my album.

Christi
03-12-2015, 08:28 PM
I am constantly amazed by how strong animals are! And because of stories like yours I have never given my furkids anything made in china. And on a totally unrelated note, I have fallen in love with Dachys and plan to get one sometime later in the year once Apollo is a little more in control of himself. I like the wire coated and also the long hairs and am in love with the dapples!

Dakota
03-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Finally managed to post Luke's picture. We have 4 longhair minis. Luke, Tucker, Sofie and Trouble. Trouble is our only double dapple. I will post pictures of them as well. In our little doxie family we have a total of twelve, incuding siblings, cousins, son's and daughters. Fortunately all are owned by immediate family and best friends so we get together often. Luke is the patriarch of all of them but 4. What a joy they are. They are so entertaining that TV becomes an afterthought. They get along great with Dakota and serve as her exercise and chew toys. Don't need a flirt pole in this house. Each Halloween we are asked to participate in the city pet parade. Max, our Tibetan mastiff dressed as Santa and the Doxies were all reindeer for his sleigh. Next year Dakota will be playing Santa. We have a lot of fun with them.

Jewel
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
I don't concern myself with her weight or her eventual size. My only concern is that she is happy and healthy.

:RpS_thumbup:

This day and age, a puppy that is fed decent quality food and is eating regularly will not suffer malnourishment. On the contrary, more attention needs to be paid to not push a puppy to grow too quickly. Over-nutrition is more of an issue rather than malnutrition these days. Focus on your puppy's body condition rather than what that number is on the scale. Like Christy said, you want to keep your pup on the leaner side where you can feel its ribs without having to press down on its sides. If you are having a hard time finding ribs, then cut back on the food. If you can easily feel each individual rib and the indent between the ribs, then up the food amount.

If you pup suffers from digestive issues then it's important to find out why as the pup may not be absorbing the proper nutrition from the food you are feeding. It is common for pups to be suffering from giardia or coccidia which can take a while to clear. Some pups have worms that are not properly diagnosed. For some it is food sensitivity.

Moose
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Moose was weighed today, 18.5 months old and weighed in at 60lbs..Is he on track for his age?

Moose
03-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Moose is 18.5 weeks today and weighs 60lbs, is he on track?

Jewel
03-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Moose is 18.5 weeks today and weighs 60lbs, is he on track?

If he's been growing at a steady pace and he is not overweight, meaning that you can feel his ribs easily without having to press down on his sides, then he is growing normally. It is very important to keep them thin rather than "solid".

Moose
03-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Thanks Jewel, always appreciate your info!!

slick61
04-04-2015, 10:53 PM
at 6 months plus one day, Wiley weighs in at 66 pounds. Temporary lull in the growth spurt, but doing good!

mips
04-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Tomorrow I'll be weighting 10 month old Chico, I think he'll be about 101 pounds tomorrow... He had somewhat of a growthspurth cause his harness got a bit tighter. Last month he was 95.3, anyone else want to place some bets? :pound:

mips
04-07-2015, 01:30 PM
So Chico was 98.1 today, which is about 2.8 pound more than he was last month.

Christi
04-07-2015, 03:32 PM
At almost 8 months Apollo is 84.1 pounds. He is also taller than my dining room table. Well his head is higher than the table, so now he can lay his chin on it and give me the sad, I am starving to death Mom and I NEED a taco, look. He did go through a bit of a humping phase, but Roxy put an end to that issue. He also now lifts his leg to pee, which is super funny because he doesn't quite know how high to lift it and inevitably pee's on his foot. I found one of those turtle sandbox's with a lid on craigslist for free, brought it home and disinfected it and so far he thinks its a giant water dish. I will eventually use it as an actual sand box but for now its a pool. I will be giving both dogs a bath this weekend and will share some pictures then.

Puppykins
04-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Christi, the foot peeing and giant water bowl are so funny! Are you going to turn the sand box into a digging place for the pups? I should do this for Annabel, she's already shown she loves to dig.

Annabel weighed 15 1/2 lbs at 9 weeks. She goes to the vet again on Saturday for her 11 week shots, I will share how much she weighs then!

Goliath
04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
My newfoundland boy Moses weighted in at 63.3 at 4 months 19 days. Vet said he looked right where he needs to be. I don't free feed.
Caleb

Jewel
04-08-2015, 11:35 AM
My newfoundland boy Moses weighted in at 63.3 at 4 months 19 days. Vet said he looked right where he needs to be.

It's important to note that newfies and pyrs are complete separate breeds. It's not just a color difference. The newfie is a mastiff breed, which is SUPPOSED to have dense, heavy bone structure. Pyrs, on the other hand, are not mastiffs, and are NOT supposed to have heavy bone structure. Pyrs are supposed to be medium boned dogs. This makes them lighter and more agile to be able to go up and down mountainous terrain to protect the flock.

Christi
04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
My newfoundland boy Moses weighted in at 63.3 at 4 months 19 days. Vet said he looked right where he needs to be. I don't free feed.
Caleb

Only reason I was free feeding is because mine had Parvo and needed all the food we could get him to eat to regain his weight. Took several months to get him back to where he needs to be and I have now went to 2x a day feedings.

queenb113
04-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Marley celebrated his 1st birthday yesterday:applause: with a visit to the vet:miserable: He is now a lean (but not skinny) 93.4 lbs.

mips
04-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Happy birthday, Marley!

I'm all the way pro in the free-feeding department.

Puppykins
04-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Aww, Happy Belated Birthday, Marley!

Today Annabel turned 11 weeks old and she had a vet visit in the morning. The scale kept bouncing around between 16 lbs and 22 lbs (thank you, random person in the vet lobby who chose to pet my puppy when she was sitting on the scale!), I'm guessing she's 19 or 20. That's a 5 lb gain since I got her 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Pendragon
04-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I have a 'new' puppy, female, named Solstice. She was 9 lbs at 7 weeks, small, skinny wormy. Tried different foods and
had her wormed twice more...the diarrhea stopped. She's from a farm from an unexpected litter from livestock guardian parents..unexpected because the mom was a 'teenager' under a year old. I have a large adult neutered male so didn't care if pup ended up small. She grew slowly first month or two but that changed and she grew so fast the Vet and assistants barely recognized her next visit. She's just over 6 months now and 61 lbs. leggy, can feel ribs, body looks long, big paws, always hungry even at six cups a day. I feed Fromm adult, high quality food. (she had diarrhea on puppy kibble) I've read not to overfeed due to bone/joint problems but also to make sure rapidly growing pups get enough to eat. I don't know if I should feed more. I've never had a Pyr pup that needed this much food. She has *lots* of energy, slightly hyper compared to laid back pups I've had... maybe her metabolism is just burning the food faster? Or she isn't getting enough and is always hungry? Any suggestions? Should I up her kibble or try filler like pumpkin in her kibble?
Three weeks ago she was 51 lbs. She seems to want more food...never leaves kibble in her dish. Original
owner found she couldn't free feed her, even at 6 weeks pup would eat until sick. If I can figure out how to include a photo I'll do that in next post. I'm considering changing her name to 'Bottomless'. Her mother is at 90 lbs with another year of growing to do, her father is a small 75 lb Pyr but was bitten by a copperhead as a puppy, owner things growth could have been stunted. There is a giant grandfather in the mix. Solstice
might not end up a 'small' Pyr...she may have aspirations of making as much of a Pyr of herself as possible.
Pendragon

nick's spirit
04-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Welcome Pendragon & Solstice...she sounds like a hand full!! You know they make puppies cute for a reason!!
Please check out the post under this heading "Information on Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition" this might help you to get Solstice the correct nutrients she needs.
I would ask the vet to look at a stool sample again, it sounds as if it's possible she has tapeworm, not unusual as puppies tend to put everything in their mouths!
Rudy is two years old, came from some great lines. His Mom is tall & thin, his Dad was of average height & weight. Rudy is about 73 pounds, not extremely tall, still in tact & all muscle!!

Jewel
04-12-2015, 05:26 PM
She's just over 6 months now and 61 lbs. leggy, can feel ribs, body looks long, big paws, always hungry even at six cups a day.

I generally focus on the dog's body condition, and am much less concerned with the dog asking for more food. If I let my boy dog eat as much as he wants he'd be at least 10 lbs heavier than he is. He is ALWAYS hungry. Has been like that since he was 8 weeks old. As a pup he used to have to put a foot in his bowl to keep it from moving around while he literally attacked his kibbles. He is 10 yrs old now and he is still hungry all the time.

You want to keep your girl in a body condition where you can feel her ribs without having to press down to find them. If you can feel ribs easily but not count them, she's in fine body condition and doesn't need more food, even if she says she can eat more.

Here is the thread Nancy mentioned: http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showthread.php?36025-Information-on-Giant-Breed-Puppy-Nutrition

Pendragon
04-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Good point Jewel and thanks Nick's Spirit, I needed common sense reminders. I'll ignore pup's seemingly insatiable appetite and continue feeding amount that I think is appropriate..might cut down 1/2 cup on the kibble. She looks healthy, has tons of energy, ribs easily felt on touch. She's probably just in the middle of a growth spurt. Solstice is just piggy...even makes piggy grunting sounds when excited or happy. She often carries her empty bowl around (so pitiful!) then on purpose spills the water bowl and carries that around. I want her thin/ slender rather than rotund. Compared to posts about rapid weight gain and high lbs of some pups, I think Solstice's growth spurts have been a month or two later than average. Doesn't matter to me if she is 80 pounds at maturity or 100+, as long as she's a healthy weight for her frame. House training is pressing concern just now. She still hasn't 'got it'.

nick's spirit
04-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Pendragon....that "piggy" noise, if it is the same one I am thinking of (it kind of sounds like a snort from way deep) is known as a "Pyr Snort"..really...so far the only one of our Pyr's who hasn't done it yet is our current boy Rudy. Or maybe we just haven't made him happy enough!!!

mips
04-14-2015, 01:46 AM
I'm all the way pro in the free-feeding department.

I've mistaken here, I thought with free-feeding we meant feeding on the eye. I am pro feeding on the eye, but not every dog can free-food, almost no dog can free food.

My boys would eat on and on and on if they could!

And welcome Pendragon! Wow that's a young mother! I can't imagine my boys fathering another dog right now! They only just found out they're is something going on with their body xD Just don't know what yet.... And they're 10 months and almost 8 months old.

Pendragon....that "piggy" noise, if it is the same one I am thinking of (it kind of sounds like a snort from way deep) is known as a "Pyr Snort"..really...so far the only one of our Pyr's who hasn't done it yet is our current boy Rudy. Or maybe we just haven't made him happy enough!!!

Is that snort often followed up with a sneeze? Just wondering? Nando does it when laying on his back when I pet him on his chest, and soon after he always sneezes. If he snorts he sneezes it's a given xD

Pendragon
04-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Yes, mother way too young. It was an 'improper workplace relationship'. Solstice grunting: it's not a snort or sneeze...but piggy throat grunting...she does it when contented or happily excited. When my (adult) son grunts
back at her she grunts back. I've been trying to get pics of her today but none are good. Trying to get a family
member to hold her so I can get a good side shot. Want to show her build.
Pen

Pendragon
04-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Solstice today, 6 1/2 months. 61 lbs. (same as weekend but taller) probably because I've cut
back on her kibble... from 6 cups a day which, after reading posts here seemed too much,
down to 5 to 5 1/2
daily. She is is not fat or skinny but seemed to be getting more 'solid'. I thought cutting back
just a bit while she's growing so fast might be best for her bones. I'll try to load a photo I took today
and get feedback from some of you. I just tried twice, to attach a photo and upload but both failed.
I'd appreciate advice or help. Or, anyone who would like to see what Solstice looks like..
I could send photo directly to your email.
Pen

slick61
04-18-2015, 07:52 AM
the photo uploader doesn't appear to be working, but if you upload the pics to another site (photobucket or other), you can paste the link into your reply...

Pendragon
04-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Thank you slick61, but I'm not a member of Photobucket or any other site of that sort. Maybe
there will be another way, or whoever is in charge here will fit the photo upload feature.
Pen

mips
04-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Photo uploader never worked right for me, if I use it I click 'Basic Uploader', then uncheck 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally', then I can upload one picture, but I have to do it for all the pictures separately.

MadMaxMama
04-21-2015, 12:33 PM
I can't get the photo uploader to work either, it always has before though :(

Max is now 5 months and 49 lbs. It's crazy how fast he's grown. Almost as large as my 7 yr old Golden Retriever!

Rebbetzin
04-23-2015, 04:38 PM
My Cherokee, turned 6 months old on Tuesday 4/21/15 he is 26" at the shoulder, and weighs 73 to 75lbs. Not at all fat, or skinny either, just leggy and awkward looking at the moment. He is eating about 5 to 6 cups of a good quality kibble with a bit of raw meat added in for grins.

I was never able to upload any photos or an avatar on this site since joining it a couple of weeks ago now.

Rebbetzin
05-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Update on Cherokee as of 5/6/15 he is now 26 3/4 at the shoulder, and 87 lbs

So, in the two weeks since my last post, he has grown 3/4 inch taller,
and has gained about 12 lbs! ( I wasn't sure of his weight on the last post, just guessing
since he has been close to 70lbs at his last vet appt. which was over a week or so before
the first post I put up here.)

TheBradley's
05-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Kcoda was just weighed this past Saturday at 52.8lbs. He is currently 17weeks 3days old and hasn't stopped growing since we picked him up.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/jr_ss/Kcoda%205-19-15%20019_zps1k9pwqbi.jpg

Rebbetzin
05-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Kcoda was just weighed this past Saturday at 52.8lbs. He is currently 17weeks 3days old and hasn't stopped growing since we picked him up.

Hmmmm I see that is a photo bucket image... is the photo upload working again? I think I will try it...
Here is Cherokee in a series of comparison photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/2015/Cherokee%202015/2%207%20to%205%2014%202015%20Watch%20Puppy_zpsh56l 9lrv.jpg

Lancelot
05-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Wow, Did Cherokee spout or what. Are you putting miracle grow in his water??????????

Rebbetzin
05-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Wow, Did Cherokee spout or what. Are you putting miracle grow in his water??????????

No.. and he is on a "slow grow" giant puppy food too! He is going to be a big fellow!
Today he is 7 months old! I need to take a new photo of him by the back fence...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/2015/Cherokee%202015/1%2018%20%20to%204%2020%202015%20email_zpscohykx9r .jpg

It appears if I edit the photobucket information, I can post photos! Still can't get an avatar to up load....

nick's spirit
05-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Cherokee is developing into quite the hand some boy!!!
as you found, photo bucket or similar is the only thing that will work right now
have asked the web master to look into working on the avatars...
guess it takes awhile...sigh...

Janet
05-21-2015, 05:54 AM
Zoie will be a year old next week and she is still right around 75 lbs. Such a petite girl! She is beautiful and active and happy, and we love her to bits. I wish I could post an updated photo of her!

Rebbetzin
05-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Here is a series of photos to show Cherokee's growth. I took the first photo the day we got him.
And now I take on his "birthday" each month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Rebbetzin/2015/Cherokee%202015/1%2018%2015%20to%205%2020%2015%20Back%20fence%20em ail_zpstaasq2bc.jpg

mips
05-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Chico is now 31.5 inch on his withers... and almost a year old. He's also about 101 pounds and a little too skinny at the moment, we think he had a growthspurth, so he's getting a bit more food again than he did the last few months.

Nando is about 29.5 inch on his withers and 9 months and almost 90 pounds. He's closing in on Chico it seems :p They're both getting HUGE.

Janet
05-24-2015, 03:31 PM
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/Janet01_photoalbum/Zoie/IMG_7593.jpg (http://s579.photobucket.com/user/Janet01_photoalbum/media/Zoie/IMG_7593.jpg.html)

Trying to post a current photo of Zoie, lets see if this works...

Janet
05-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Yay, it worked! That is our girl! Here is another one, of her obedience training graduation photo, lol! :-)

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/Janet01_photoalbum/Zoie/ZoieGrad.jpg (http://s579.photobucket.com/user/Janet01_photoalbum/media/Zoie/ZoieGrad.jpg.html)