PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up our new Pup.

Andgott
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
We just picked up our new Great Pyrenees puppy Saturday-

http://www.agott.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/IMG_9360.JPG

He's 2 1/2 months old. He's a purebred, but not registered- He parents live on and guard a farm in North Georgia. I had a Pyrenees when I was a kid- And have always wanted another one.

Although it's only been a few days, he's been a great puppy so far- Although I am sure I'll be around asking questions and looking for advice! This is my first male, too- The other one was a Female.

And, Since I happen to be a photographer, too- There will probably be a lot of pics-

http://www.agott.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/IMG_9358.JPG

-Andrew

ragingbull83
08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Thats funny he kicks his front and back legs out what a good looken GP

2ndPyr
08-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Oh my gosh! He is adorable!!!!!
Enjoy! They don't stay "little" for long!
But they always will have that puppy expression.

Kris

Samsmom
08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh my gosh! He is adorable!!!!!
Enjoy! They don't stay "little" for long!
But they always will have that puppy expression.

Kris

He's just the cutest puppy. And I remember that look. Oh wait, Sam gave me that look this morning when I asked/made him come in. Enjoy, Kris is right they don't stay little for long. Speaking for my "baby" who is 8.5 months and 90lbs. Lovely guy. :)
Chris

SgtBaxter
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
He's adorable! What's his name?

Andrea
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
It's amazing, my Luca looked the same when I got her in march. Pure white hair and just a bundle of fur. And now she is 7 month old and weighs 65lbs.
He looks so adorable, just like a little polar bear. Just enjoy him being around you and following you wherever you go. They just grow so fast.

Andrea

DPW
08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
What a great looking pup! And doubles as a throw rug too. :D

Bunchie
08-04-2009, 08:13 AM
What a handsome guy! Our Samson is three months old today, and weighed in at 35 lbs yesterday at the vet. Vet said he wont be surprised if hes 60 lbs by 4 1/2 months. Always wanted a pony! :eek: How much does your boy weigh? How do you upload pictures with your message?

dsloveswva
08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
what a beautiful puppy! and everyone's right; he will grow so fast-- my joy was 12 pounds at 7 1/2 weeks when we got her, and she's now 96 pounds
and a little over 14 months. some weeks she gained 5 lbs. a week. she's on a wheat-free diet for her skin, and no begging at the table. best of luck to you! :)

Andgott
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks... His name is Henry.

He's a charmer, for sure! I'm not sure about the weight- I haven't put him on the scale yet, and since we're going to the Vet this afternoon I figured I'd just wait 'till then.

He's doing well so far, although he doesnt quite understand the whole leash thing-
http://www.agott.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/IMG_9377.JPG

NickRonnette
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Wonderful looking Pyr. Now is the time for all those wonderful experiences that you can expect from a puppy...chewing your favorite items around the house, having to change your life completely around to accommodate your new addition. But I will tell you that it is all worth it. Never a finer breed of dog have I had. Enjoy!

nick's spirit
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like he understands the leash thing perfectly....he leads, you follow!!
He is a Great looking Pyr, makes me want to get another one!! What am I thinking!!
I'm not sure if they are the greatest when they are puppies or when they finally become that wonderful loving,trusting companion that you waited for them to become.
Hope you have a wonderful, full, fun life together.

Andgott
08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
We were at the vet a few days ago, But I've been having some computer issues...

Henry is a healthy boy- Weighing in at just above 15 lbs. He's probably put on 5 more since then, though. Since he was living in a barn on a dirt floor, he had intestinal worms (as we expected!), so has been treated for that, and of course had his second 'round' of injections. He's a tough guy- Didn't even flinch when they pricked him with the needle!

He had the whole vets office in an uproar, though- Something about a super-cute great pyrenees puppy that causes work to come to a stop. Everyone had to come see him.

But, between him and my parrots- I might as well just sign the deed to my house over to the vet- 4 trips this week alone!

-Andrew

Jewel
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi Andrew, what a cute little (for now) guy Henry is!! My pup was that size this time last year!

I have a similar vet story... Everyone at my vet loved our first pyr who passed away a year ago June. When I made an appointment for our new puppy a few months later, it was apparently the talk of the office and vet techs fought over who would get to work the appointment. The first thing we were told when we walked into the office that first appointment was that they've been looking forward to meeting Bijou ALL WEEK! The vet tech wasted no time in taking Bijou to the back and passed her around for everyone to hold!

rosemary1978
08-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Henry is a very handsome pup! Congrats!!! We just got a pup too, his name is Bruce! He is 8 weeks right now...and was 13.5 lbs at 7 weeks. He is a riot. When we took him to the vet last week everyone just loved him!

nick's spirit
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Reminds me of when we got our first Pyr, we took her everywhere with us, and many places allowed us to bring her in. One place was an outdoor sports shop. I was trying on a pair of cross country ski boots sitting on a circular couch with my husband next to me & Spirit sleeping curled up in a ball next to him. Well a lady came over, ready to sit down to try something on and almost sat on Spirit! My husband saved her by putting his hand over Spirit (but under the lady's rear)!! The woman looked at him as if he were a pervert, and he calmly said..."I didn't want you to sit on my dog" which is exactly when Spirit woke up, yawned and wagged her little tail and we all laughed! All curled up she just looked like a fur hat or muff.

DrABS27
08-12-2009, 12:29 PM
I just picked up my Pyr puppy on Saturday, and my guy, Chewy, is soooo cute and sweet, but also does not get the whole leash thing! He just looks puzzled when i try and take him places on it! Sometimes when i take him out to go to the bathroom he just sits and looks at me, and i don't want to pull him or choke him, so i usually end up picking him up....but it won't be long till i won't be able to pick him up anymore....any advice on how i can get Chewy to walk on the leash?

rosemary1978
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
@DrABS27 - not sure what the trick to walking is yet....? Bruce, my "almost 9 week" old pup will either sit there and stare at me or he will go where he wants to go...which is usually the opposite direction. I got him a little harness because I felt so bad pulling at his neck with the collar... However, I did notice that when my sister was walking in front of us one night..Bruce began to follow her and was walking nicely in front of me. So, tonight we're going to try a walk with my sister walking her Pyr (8 year old) in front of us...and we'll see if Bruce will just follow.

Does anyone know the best age to take a Pyr pup to training/obedience school?

:confused:

Jewel
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
rosemary, having another dog with you on the walk is the easiest way to get a puppy used to walking on a leash. The last two pups we raised both had the benefit of having an adult dog already in the family when each of them joined the family. So neither went through the leash fighting phase. They automatically followed the big dog, and had to work hard just to keep up in the beginning :p, and so there was no time to fight with the leash!

John W. JOHNSON
08-13-2009, 07:45 AM
You have a beautiful pup there! He will chew through that leash in a few more minutes though. Walking on leash for our pyr was difficult at first as well I don't think they enjoy this as a breed, (the independance thing), as someone else said another dog works wonders and we got one of those double leash conectors and sometime we walk both dogs using it and it promotes cooperation between the dogs. I will say that anything will be chewed by the puppy that is why they are born so qute so pick up or move or make bitter or sour anything he will be left alone with and get him a bone to chew, (our vet recommended to overfeed slightly and this can help with the drive to chew); if you are crate training then not to worry until he has the run of the house.
Have great luck!

Topper
08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
After six months is the best time to start take to training class. Before that they are more into playing. Now you want to be working with them before that. Puppy training stuff.

DrABS27
08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Ok excellent, as soon as he has had his second set of shots I plan on socializing him with my friend's dogs, so maybe we'll try going on walks together. He's doing pretty good with "sit" and "down", but almost flat-out refuses to "come". Very odd...

Jewel
08-13-2009, 11:26 AM
He's doing pretty good with "sit" and "down", but almost flat-out refuses to "come". Very odd...

Ah, on the contrary, pyrs are notorious for not obeying the "come" command! This is why you will rarely find pyrs at obedience trials... This is the prime example of their independnce, they won't come if they don't see a point to. With enough consistent training, you can teach them to come on command, albeit it will likely to be at a leisurely pace. Don't expect a pyr to react immediately to that command unless you happen to be at the spot where they WANT to be at.

ragingbull83
08-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Ive had better luck talking to my Gp like you and I talk that Command stuff doesnt work with GPs just like if I gave you Commands you wouldnt listen right because thats disrespectful and you can make your own desions Gps are the same way they think for their selves and I think doing what you say is something they do because they love ya not because they have to.
They out weight the average human or or close to it so if they desire not to listen they wont and what are you going to do about it nothen as long as theres a mutual respect between you and your gp you treat them good dont hit um youll never have any trouble at least thats been my experience. ;)

DrABS27
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Chewy has made great improvement on the commands in the past week, he seems to be really smart! He's coming almost all the time now, and follows me around the house and the yard....today as a test i was doing stuff in the yard and had him with me off the leash (i don't have a fence), watching him very carefully, and he followed me around and when he got distracted and started to wander off, i would call him and he would come bounding over to me and look all pleased with himself....and when he got tired he just layed there and watched me....11 weeks old today! Kenny is your pyr really 180lbs?? i thought they maxed out at like 150?

John W. JOHNSON
08-20-2009, 06:27 AM
The talking part to the Pyr does work for us as well especially about things that are new or different say on a walk a car will be parked where it was not the day before and so you just talk to the dog when you see his head go down and his tail go up, because my guy can get quite upset with the parked car or even the garabage cans. Commands really do need a purpose to be followed with any high percentage e.g. 100% for "sit" at meal time ha!ha! 50% for "come" even when he has started to bark in a way that means I need to go out, I ask twice and then just get the leash and when he sees that he comes right over as if to say thats what I mean walk me so don't call me without that leash thing????

dsloveswva
08-21-2009, 07:10 PM
good advice here, as usual. i have also found that my pyr joy, 15 months and 100 lbs., has always responded well to being spoken to like the intelligent being that she is. she is sensitive to tone of voice and eye contact/ facial expressions as well. very strong-willed breed, fabulous!

ragingbull83
08-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Well dsloveswva cant expect nothing but the best advice got to be good people to own a Great Pyr LoL ;)
15 months and 100 LBS be a good match for my Gp hes almost 5 years old and 186 LBS and hes in great shape

dsloveswva
08-22-2009, 06:47 PM
thanks for the comment, really appreciate it. could seriously use some good advice; my joy is fabulous except for persistent food agression and guarding issues. i really can take her anywhere, and pretty much have, but when she has her nose in a food bowl or gets ahold of something she really wants, she morphs into a beast. i have so far been able to bargain with her to get things
away from her that she's not allowed to have, but i know it's a problem and god forbid she bites me or anyone else; she will immediately go back to the breeder i got her from. they're in virginia, i'm in florida; i met her parents 2 years before i got her and they are very mellow. i have had her in training classes; she's very smart and kind but this guarding behavior is a problem.
she must 'sit' to be fed, she is very obedient especially for a great pyrenees,
but this is an issue. do i need to hire a professional? i will be reading the book "mine--a guide to guarding behavior in dogs", but this is pretty much
frustrating to me and my family. thank you, peace.

rocky09
08-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Well that explains why rocky ignores me when i say come lol.. I thought i was doing something wrong.. I had him sitting ,staying ,and shaking hands within jus a few days, but he looks at me like i'm stupid when i walk off and say come.. even with his beloved bacon treat he still wouldnt do it lol.

Jewel
08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks for the comment, really appreciate it. could seriously use some good advice; my joy is fabulous except for persistent food agression and guarding issues. i really can take her anywhere, and pretty much have, but when she has her nose in a food bowl or gets ahold of something she really wants, she morphs into a beast.

i have had her in training classes; she's very smart and kind but this guarding behavior is a problem.

I do not have advice for you to work with Joy's resource guarding, but I would definitely encourage you to read different books on working with this issue. I also think it is a good idea talk to professionals and find someone that you feel can really help. Resource guarding in a dog the size of a pyr is very worrisome. While her breeder may be very responsible and take her back as a last resort, unless the breeder has the time and the skills to correct her resource guarding, the breeder would not likely to be able to safely rehome Joy if she were returned and therefore there may be limited options for Joy if returned. Good luck and please keep us posted.

John W. JOHNSON
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
We have had to work hard with our Axel for both food agression toward our other dog and this gaurding behavior toward us. The food agression has settled and we still do feed them in separate areas but without any barrier. It is infrequent that he does more than bark at the other dog but we do keep an eye out, (sometimes we get busy in the morning and that will be the morning Axel is not eating his food), Tessa the other dog came over and he just barked and blocked her way and I was able to get to the food and put it up. The gaurding is less predictable and a bit scarry at first as we did not see the signs for he would have something and has a tendency to chew anything so we investigate and take it if not something he should eat. At about 6 months I went to look in his mouth and he let out a short growl and half hearted snap, and I pulled back in a bit of shock and then went straight in a pinned him down with loud no and took the item away; next time was with my wife, (we had talked about this and we tried to figure out the signs for the behavior, chewing away then when you approach he lowers his head), that for us is the main warning from him that he is gaurding this item so don't try to take it. My wife got the growl and pinned him and took the item and then being more brave then I am gave it back and took it back seveal times, like we did with his food when we first noticed the food agression. He now responds to no when he lowers his head. I know the pin move is not easy but the behavior is dominance with aggression and they are big boy and girls but if your situation is to the point of feeling you need to give up the dog they it may be something you want to try as it is effective, (I can only say that your pup will probably start to generalize the dominance to other areas), as they have won at this one. If you are fearful then read and get pro advise, We have had large dogs and when dominance and or aggression are involved toward people, (us), we always employ the pin to re-establish our dominance over the dog. This easy for me to say but you need to be sure you can do the move and follow through and hold the dog until they are submissive.
Best of luck!

dsloveswva
08-27-2009, 06:59 PM
hello,again--about the resource guarding, ordered the book from amazon--also, my mom (who adores joy) reminded me that when i was about six our neighbor's dog bit me in the face and i had to get stitches, so that's probably a big part of maybe denying this behavior at first. we'll see about the pinning her down; she's about 108 lbs. now, i'm about 5'2". will be bringing a professional in and i WILL have a successful outcome from this. she's not the boss; she needs some tough-love. thanks for the help.

Jewel
08-28-2009, 01:58 AM
GOOD FOR YOU!! You obvious love Joy quite a lot and I am certain she's worth the work! In the end it will not be your physical size that matters but your mental resolve will be key. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

dsloveswva
08-29-2009, 05:17 PM
hello to all, thank you to jewel for the reply. started resource guarding 'boot camp' with joy yesterday, beginning with she has to eat her supper from the bowl with me holding it the whole time, occasionally petting her, taking it away and giving it back. got the book today 'mine....', also started 'trading' with her with items she is guarding, starting slowly. she is my good friend and we'll get this done, whatever it takes! also praying about it to st. francis of assisi. thanks for the encouragement. peace.