PDA

View Full Version : Chattering??

Budsprout
07-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Frosty loves his treats....big time! I've been working with him on some of basic commands (just sit, stay and we're making the attempt at leave it but we'll see just how far that will go, lol). I've noticed that he makes a chattering/******* noise right after he gets a treat that he really likes like his plain boile chicken bits. It's kind of hard to describe the sound. Does anyone else have a pyr. that does this or is this a type of reaction to something?

Just curious :)

Samsmom
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Frosty loves his treats....big time! I've been working with him on some of basic commands (just sit, stay and we're making the attempt at leave it but we'll see just how far that will go, lol). I've noticed that he makes a chattering/******* noise right after he gets a treat that he really likes like his plain boile chicken bits. It's kind of hard to describe the sound. Does anyone else have a pyr. that does this or is this a type of reaction to something?

Just curious :)

Yes, My Sam does it too. I have never had a dog do this and the first time he did it I was kindof freaked out. :) He only does it with something he really likes, i.e. cheese or meat treats. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that had a chattering pyr.

Chris

Kate53
07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, never have heard of or seen chattering....but I just might try to see if Queenie will do it with some favorite treat of hers. She's not a big food "whore" but I'll bet a piece of leftover grilled steak, med. rare would do it!!

Budsprout
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Uh-Oh...I just noticed that one of the words I typed has been replaced by astericks...I'm sorry if I posted something by accident. It was supposed to say like a suckeling (sp?) sound but I'm hoping that I didn't type an "f" by mistake. I'm sorry if this happened and offened someone. I truley didn't mean to type anything inappropriate. Sorry!

Thanks Chris! I'm glad to hear Frosty's not an odd-ball :)
You're right...it was really strange and my other dogs had never done something like this before so I'd thought I'd check with you folks here. Glad I did!

Topper
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Our little guy makes noise when he is enjoying his walk. Almost sound like he is smacking his lips together. We think he is whistling because he is happy on his walk.

FLTammiee
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Mya does it mostly when we are eating and she REALLY wants a sample. I think it sounds like teeth chattering when it's really cold outside?!? First time she did it ... it scared me too!

Jewel
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey, my first pyr did it and my year-old pup (also pure pyr) does it too, and only with something really delicious (pieces of meat, cheese, ice cream)!! I don't spcifically remember the first time I noticed my first pyr doing that, but I remember thinking it was cute. My pup started doing the same thing quite young.

I can't recall for sure whether my pyr mix has ever done this. He might have, but for sure it's not something he does regularly. He mostly just drools.

Budsprout is it just your pyr does it and not the other breeds? That's how it is with us!

TwoPuppies
07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Drac grunts and chatters all the time, when he is excited for treats and cuddling. I asked the vet and he said it was okay and that it is just air that gets trapped. Raz doesn't "talk" but every time we come into the yard (and only at this time) he smiles. At first I thought he was baring his teeth but he just shows the front teeth. It is hilarious.

Budsprout
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Budsprout is it just your pyr does it and not the other breeds? That's how it is with us!

Yup. Just Frosty. Neither my pom or my rough collie/pyr mix ever did this so I thought that it was pretty bazaar. It really freaked me out the first time he did it but now that I know that it's okay I think it's just the funniest thing I've ever heard! Frosty is also the only "talkative" one of the bunch. When it's time for bed and I put him and Sally (the collie/pyr mix) in the kitchen for bedtime Frosty always "grumbles" and quietly "complains" when I shut the gate. I just figure he's voicing his opinoin about having to go to sleep when he'd rather do something fun instead.

I have to admit there is nothing like owning a pyr. The breed is soooo different from any other breed that I've ever had before and Frosty is such a pleasure to have.

Andrea
07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Since some of you already know that 'English' is not my mother's language could you please explain what you guys mean by 'your dogs are chattering'. I know what 'to chat' means but I have no idea about that dog chattering thing. :confused: Maybe then I can say if my GP makes that noise or not. ;)

Thanks a lot
Andrea

Budsprout
07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
For Frosty his chattering is when he quickly chomps his teeth when he gets super excited about his treats. It alomst looks like he has something vibrating in his mouth. Sorry if it's a bad description. Hopefully one of the others will be by soon with a better one :)

ragingbull83
07-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Humm never heard of that before thats funny

pyr haven
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
my pup chattered! tried to think of a better description but none come to mind.

like us clicking our tongue against the roof of mouth when tasting something. One of the pup sort of grind its teeth too

twas a very tasty piece of aged cheddar and another pup it was sweet coconut wit brown sugar. Very minute amount. I was incrdulous and it is so cute but they dun do it anymore. I think it's new puppy taste bud.