PDA

View Full Version : Grooming "The Area"

SgtBaxter
07-21-2009, 05:25 AM
I've always been under the impression to shave a male dog's "privates" with clippers mainly for sanitary reasons. The wife disagrees with me.

Bear's got some long hair around down there, and it's frequently covered in nasty dried pee and other unmentionables. I've been shot down a few times on "dogscaping" if you know what I mean, but I think it'd be a good idea to get rid of that hair.

Anyone got any grooming tips for that area?

vin63
07-21-2009, 05:41 AM
We clip our male from time to time on the inside of his hind legs and his stomach area - just the long tufts. We use hand shears (not the electric clippers), but I guess using the electric clippers wouldn't be a bad idea. We do it mainly to prevent the matting.

Kate53
07-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey, even the females get that "yellow-y" look to the britches area...at least mine does occasionally. I just use a plastic pin brush and a little detangling spray to freshen up the area. I also lift out her unbelievably thick tail every so often to check for any "cling-ons" in the poop-shute area. They comb out nicely too. :D

Bunchie
07-21-2009, 08:02 AM
This conversation is hilarious... we were just talking about this the other day. I took Sam to the vet to get his nails clipped and he was a complete gentleman. The vet said the "unmentionables" come from inside the shaft and are perfectly normal. Usually I can remove any gunk by brushing, but I am tempted to clip off that long bit of hair on the tip, but then where will the gunk go? Speaking of grooming, Sam fights me to the death whenever I try to brush him. Don't most dogs love being groomed? Our golden could sit for hours and be brushed. Sam even barks at the brush when it is just sitting there....even tried taking him a long walk before, and he still fights...anyone????

Budsprout
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm sure the others will have some adice here in a few but I thought that I would chime in in the mean time...
At first Frosty absolutely HATED being brushed (and he's still not all too fond of it now but it's much better...at least he's better than my 3 year old daughter when it's time to brush her hair in the morning, lol!). He used to be bad about nipping at the brush and trying to take it away from me as a chew toy. Now I think I have him convinced that it's not all that bad (phew!)
I try to brush Frosty after walks in the evening when he's pooped from the walk. After he's had his water and dinner he's usually ready to plop on our floor vents so I take this time to brush hime. I first started with just brushing his back and his chest and I made sure to give him plenty of treat tid-bits to reward him when he was being a good boy. Now I've got him where I can brush his head, under his chin and if I'm lucky his belly. By the time his brushing is over with he's starting to get a little anxious b/c it's his potty time so that's usually my cue to call it a day. I've just been taking baby steps and so far so good.

Topper
07-21-2009, 08:52 AM
My guy topper hates his head to get brushed. Have to fight on that. The rest id OK we have to play to get it done. We chase each other around the tree. When I get him I get to brush him a little. It is fun to run around the tree. Topper has been the funnest dog I have ever had. We play ball, chase each other and love each other up. I have found you have to have the right brush or comb of the different areas.

Jewel
07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Bunchie, my pup reacted similarly when I started brushing her as soon as we got her, but I continued on anyway. On the one hand you are teaching the pup to get used to being brushed and at the same time you are teaching him to tolerate being handled. You do want to make sure the brushing isn't hurting him. If you want, you can try to incorporate giving him treats while being brushed. Show brush, no bark, give treat kinda thing.

Kate53
07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Queenie tolerates being brushed and only for so long. As soon as I get to the "britches" part, I have to make an effort to get it done quickly because she will just get up and jump off the bed and high tail it to the livingroom. I find using a detangling spray on the thickest areas helpful. Also, if I remind myself to use slow, gentle strokes with the rake and brush, she is fine and actually enjoys it. If I encounter any difficult areas, she gets a bit antsy. Now, clipping her nails???Forget it. She hates it...and I bought one of those "PediPaw" things....waste of money unless you have an ankle biter for a dog. Her nails stop it from turning...just gag it up! I have to fight to get her nails trimmed.

SgtBaxter
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Usually I can remove any gunk by brushing, but I am tempted to clip off that long bit of hair on the tip, but then where will the gunk go?

I know plenty of it goes on our walls. :eek:

I've carefully cut that hair down a few times, but I think after next bath it's getting buzzed off altogether, along with the longer tufts around there. He's mainly bald down there anyway, and it'll help keep him neat and tidy.

Although he does enjoy bathtime when you have to scrub there :D

nick's spirit
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
All my Pyr's have tolerated brushing to a point...then it's "bar the doors" if I want to get any mats out in those "private" areas. I've found that if I start out slow & nice they relax, then when I get to the matted sensitive areas, they start decideing we are done! Well...I can't let them dictate that, so I change to another area that they somewhat like and they decide it's better than what I was doing before & relax a bit. A little bit every day (if possible) really helps.
I once had my male dog shaved on his tummy & "privates" he was cool, but the hair growing back must have been very itchy, he licked & chewed that area until he had red welts....so no more shaving. But a clip of the scissors might be what you need.
And in regard to the tail area, I've had some great groomers who cut out a nice "shoot" that really keeps that area clean without being concerned about "hanger oners"
What we do for our dogs!!!

risestar
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Usually unless you are showing your dog, in which case clipping in the wrong area is a no no, most people do whatever it is that makes life easier. I used to trim up the backside of my female and I usually trim up the underside of the male as they usually don't take a liking to you combing out mats later on in that particular area

JenMeg
07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
A great product is Show Sheen, usually used for horses. I think I mentioned it in a bathing thread. It was recommended to us when we adopted Meg as the people we got her from also have 9 Pyrs they show & use it for grooming. It is an AWESOME detangler and also repels dirt after grooming. And Miracle Groom (a different product by the same manufacturer) helps to "clean up" the "area" and works wonderfully to spot clean.

Our girl does great with grooming & she will let me know when/if I'm pulling. But just so long as I mist her coat with the Show Sheen, let it sit about 20 mins, grooming is a breeze.

nick's spirit
07-21-2009, 05:04 PM
JenMeg
Can you give me the manufacturer of this product.
Also does the Miracle Groom also take away odors??
Holly likes to swim in the salt water, I try to rinse her with fresh water & towel dry her...but she takes awhile to completely dry, so there is always a bit of an odor about her. Giving her a complete bath at this point in the season is not really worth the effort.
Thanks

JenMeg
07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
JenMeg
Holly likes to swim in the salt water, I try to rinse her with fresh water & towel dry her...but she takes awhile to completely dry, so there is always a bit of an odor about her. Giving her a complete bath at this point in the season is not really worth the effort.
Thanks

Absorbine is the manufacturer and the only place I can find it is Tractor Supply, pet stores don't seem to have it. The Miracle Groom (also by Absorbine) does take away odors but I'm not sure if it would take away an "all over" odor like that as I bet some of that is in her pores. I have used the sprays you can get at pet stores for odors as Meg loves the rain, but tends to get that stinky, wet hair smell, and they work well.

Kate53
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
JenMeg
Thanks

Try looking here
http://www.absorbine.com/products
Type in your zip code and it will give you distributors.
I used it for my horses manes and tails...great stuff!

It's also available on Amazon.com

Kate53
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
That "PediPaws" gadget I bought for Queenie's nails was pretty useless....her nails would stop it when I placed them in the little guide hole. Well, surprise of all surprises...I unscrewed that guide cover and used it just like a regular dremel and she let me do all of her front nails!!! I was so surprised I couldn't stop praising her! I'm going to shoot for the back feet this afternoon......

Bunchie
07-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone for all your advice - I have been putting Sam on top of our hot tub to groom him so he cant get down, but soon he may be too heavy - I have a question about water... maybe I should start a new thread? Here goes... I am house sitting a friends place on the Sandy River and they have a beautiful spread (unfenced) and private beach area... do pyrs like to swim? I am concerned about him getting in over his head in the water and not being able to get back, (and them mom has to jump in to save him)... the neighbors have 3 black labs that fetch obsessively and I am afraid Sam will follow them into the water? Any suggestions?

nick's spirit
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
All of my Pyr puppies were very good around the water. Investigating, but never going in for an actual "swim". Then came Holly...the Ester Williams of Pyrs! One day when she was about 6 months old, I looked out the window & there she was, pretending to be a Lab! I was more concerned with her getting too close to a sea lion than her tiring, she was definately enjoying herself. She is now 4 1/2 years old and a strong swimmer & loves to cool off that way. She doesn't go out too far and won't jump into water when she is near a pool. She prefers to wade in, almost like she needs to know what is under her paws.

nick's spirit
07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks JenMeg and Kate53, I will look for this product & hopefully ease the pain of getting the mats out for both us !!