PDA

View Full Version : Aging pyr

rrose
07-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi all,
I've got an 11-yr old (non-working) pyr whose condition is getting harder and harder for me to ignore. He's been getting "Happy Hips" (chicken strips with glucosomine) and Ascriptin for a while now. But now it's getting to the point that I can't get him to go outside without practically picking him up -- no small feat.
Yesterday, however, he decided to go downstairs to the basement...he's been peeing down there...and he fell on his way down. Didn't injure himself, but my husband is saying it's time. I'm really having a hard time with this. Am I fooling myself into thinking that I can keep dragging him outside as long as he seems to not be in pain (I am hoping because of the Ascriptin)?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.

nick's spirit
07-18-2009, 01:02 PM
rrose
They never last long enough.
However...have you thought about getting him on some Rimadyl or any other anti-inflamitory? Sounds like the glucosamine isn't working anymore and I'm not sure about Ascriptin.
Right now my Aussie is going through some shoulder problems and he is on Rimadyl along with Tramadal for pain whenever he needs it. You might ask your vet about pain management. This may be all your boy needs.
If you don't have too many steps to the outside, it might be easier for him to go pee out side.
When is the "right" time. When you and your dog decide it is. They will let you know when they don't want to live in this world any longer. Hope you don't have to make that decision.

rrose
07-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks nick.
Actually we've been letting him out front (no steps) to pee for about a year now, but he goes to the basement, maybe out of habit as that is how he used to get out.
We tried him on Rimadyl but that for some reason caused a lot of vomiting and diarhhea. The vet said if he tolerates the Ascriptin (which I believe is basically buffered asprin) that that's fine. I just wonder, is the slowness to get up from pain, stiffness or both? He will get up during the day to go outside, but waking up in the morning...he just doesn't want to do it.
I also wanted to mention that he is eating and drinking fine...still enjoys barking, though he might just stay where he is to do it. But he doesn't run along the fence line after cars anymore. So the quality of life issue is tough for me to decipher.
I know dogs have high pain tolerance; I just wish he could tell me, ya know?

nick's spirit
07-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I know that Rimadyl doesn't agree with all dogs, but there are so many other non steroidal anti inflamitories out there, it sounds like your guy would benefit from one of them. And the Tramadal, from talkig with my vet, is an excellent pain med and tolerated quite easily by most dogs. I'd talk with your vet again.
And you're right, it's hard to know where his slowness is coming from. Unless you want to get xrays to see if there is any arthritis, and I don't know many people with a big dog at an advanced age who might want to do something like that. We all get achey as we "gracefully" age! Or at least I'm noticing it!
Sounds like he still has his quality of life, all you have to do is find something that will help ease his pain. (sounds easy huh!?!)
Another thing to try, if you want to, is acupuncture. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but hey, it helps people why not dogs.

vin63
07-18-2009, 06:40 PM
As our dogs have aged, we've used Deramaxx instead of Rimadyl. Just an alternative to consider. Be careful of the Tramadal because it can lead to seizures. Good luck.

ragingbull83
07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear that Rose its ashame to have a pet you love so much get so old and not beable to help themselves anymore.
I'm not looking foward to Gerorge getting old on me hell be Five this year hoping to get 12 years out of him love that dog to death hes my sidekick goes everywhere with me even to work.

Vin where ya been? have seen a post from ya in a while Didnt know one of your Pyrs was name Duramaxx thats awsome they are just like diesel trucks arnt they? Especally when they get that head down and start pushing.

Kate53
07-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I've been through the aging/quality of life thing with my other dogs and it breaks my heart to think of going through it again with Queenie. I'm just a sucker for dogs in general and never think of what issues I'll face as they age, just the present moment of how wonderful they are. I had a terrible experience with Rimadyl and my male GS dog. He developed such a severe case of gastritis with vomiting and diarrhea (including the blood and mucus!) that I vowed never to use the stuff again. My vet recommended prednisone when things got real difficult. I figured at that stage of his life it couldn't be that harmful. It did make it easier for him to move around for a while. The synthetic opiate that is given to people for pain management is called Tramadol, what they call a SNRI ( seratonergic noradrenergic reuptake inhibitor). Yes, taking too much can result in seizures so taking only the amount prescribed is important. I had no idea it could be used in dogs...we do learn something every day!

rrose
07-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I can't tell you all how much your words have helped. In short, he's staying with us for now--hooray! Otherwise, plans:
1. Check with vet regarding all of your advice on painkillers/anti-inflammitories, making necessary changes;
2. Making sure that basement door stays closed tight;
3. I've been enticing him outside to do his business by offering him treats...it's working!
4. No-brainer, I guess, but giving him all the love and attention he deserves for whatever time he's got left...I was brought to tears when he came up to me and put his paw in my lap--I know that took effort. He got an Ascriptin wrapped in turkey for that.

Thank you all so much for everything. I've gone from being very downhearted to feeling like I can deal with this. As long as he can walk, eat, bark and push his fuzzy head against me while giving that slight tail wag, I'll do all I can to make what's left of his life pain-free, as easy as possible and loved.

As soon as I can figure out how to use the gallery, I'll post pictures of my "little boy". :)

Jewel
07-20-2009, 08:25 AM
rrose, perhaps you already use it, but have you tried assisting your senior one to move around with a mobility harness? There are different types of these harnesses available, depending on the kind of assistance your dog needs. We have friends that are currently dealing with their boxer who is quickly losing control of her back legs. They are doing everything they can to help her move around so long as she doesn't seem to be in pain and her spirit remains good. From what I've heard, she seems to still be the happy go lucky boxer that she has always been.

Sending lots of love to your old boy and strength and courage to you!

vin63
07-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Vin where ya been? have seen a post from ya in a while Didnt know one of your Pyrs was name Duramaxx thats awsome they are just like diesel trucks arnt they? Especally when they get that head down and start pushing.

Hey there. My two current Pyrs are named Sebastian and Isabella. Deramaxx is in reference to an alternative anti-inflammatory arthritis medication to Rimadyl. We've had much better luck with Deramaxx. Rimadyl really wreaked havoc on our German Shepherd many years ago until we switched her to Deramaxx.

When our Newfie was around 13 years old his arthritic pain level increased, so our vet gave us permission to use small doses of phenybutazone (bute) that we had on hand for our horse. Bute is also a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and you can get it from your vet in canine dosage.

rrose
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
rrose, perhaps you already use it, but have you tried assisting your senior one to move around with a mobility harness? There are different types of these harnesses available, depending on the kind of assistance your dog needs. We have friends that are currently dealing with their boxer who is quickly losing control of her back legs. They are doing everything they can to help her move around so long as she doesn't seem to be in pain and her spirit remains good. From what I've heard, she seems to still be the happy go lucky boxer that she has always been.

Sending lots of love to your old boy and strength and courage to you!

I hadn't thought about a mobility harness. I'll look into it, thanks!

Kate53
07-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Yes, great idea on the mobility harness...I know Drs. Foster and Smith has them online...