PDA

View Full Version : How much

BooBoo
05-18-2009, 05:26 AM
does your great pyr weigh???? We went to the vet on Saturday and we were in shock that he gained 30 pounds in 6 months!!! He is mixed with either German Sheppard or Chow. When we rescued him in Nov. he was 110 pounds and they said that he was neglected, needed TLC (he now gets alittle too much attention,) and abused (poor thing has scars everywhere, severe shyness and fearfulness-but his heart is truly a gentle giant.) He does not eat alot, he is very picky so I feed him pro plan dry (2 1/2 cups in the morning and evenings and half a can of mervick.) We walk 2 miles every day and he plays all the time. Vet said that he is a big boy and it is difficult to see with all his fur that he is "fat" and just to cut back on treats. I read that male vary in weight and health conditions become more of a problem with over weight dogs?

risestar
05-18-2009, 08:35 AM
My male is 130, but he is almost 32" at the shoulders tall. The female was 110, she was very muscular and 28"

Jewel
05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
As additional context to risestar's information, our neighbor's male pyr is about 27 inches at the shoulders and he's right around 100 lbs. Our female was just about 25.5 inches at the shoulders and she was between 80-85 lbs.

jmanz6
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I think Leo is about 26" at the shoulders and he is right about 85 lbs. He is just a year old though so he will fill out some more and possibly get a little taller.

If your dog was severely neglected and under weight then 30 lbs in a month isn't unreasonable. However, you need to monitor him closely and adjust his food accordingly. I would maybe drop the canned food and stick with the dry. He should be getting what he needs from the dry (Purina would not be my first choice as dry food, but that's a different story) and adding a can of Merrick on top of it may be too much. Now that he's filled out you can stop feeding him like he's underweight. We've had many neglected foster dogs in our house and once we get them up to a healthy weight, we always re-evaluate their feeding amount. Go with a good, high protein dry food and he should be fine.

Shayla
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Reading this thread actually makes me even more concerned about Kael's weight. He is 28" and weighs 65 pounds. The vet said he is underweight but thinks that he'll be fine at 80 pounds. If you haven't read my first post he's underweight due to an acid reflux problem.

So since he's 14 months old does 80 sound right for now? Maybe he'll fill out another 20 pounds by the time he reaches 3 years old.

I guess one positive thing out of this is that he will be less likely to develop joint problems.

~Shayla

Jewel
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey Shayla,

Enjoyed reading about your boys in your other post. A pyr at 14 months old is far from filled out. But 65 lbs is pretty light for a male at 28". My 11 month-old female is probably around 25" and she weighed in at 59.9 lbs last Friday. She's pretty thin at that weight.

But with Kael's reflux problem, I don't think there is a whole lot you can do to try to get his weight up quickly. Hopefully with medication you will be able to control the reflux and he will be able to be put on a higher calorie food soon. I also have a theory that once he's able to eat normally and gain weight, you may see a difference in his redirect aggression.

Kudos to you for putting all the efforts to give these boys a good life!

Shayla
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Jewel!

We were told just recently by our vet to add in a little puppy food to Kael's diet. I think it's working. I'll find out for sure on Monday when he goes in for his teeth cleaning. Hopefully he's put on a pound or two.

Kael first reached 65 pounds at 11 months old, he was 26". That's when this whole mess with the acid reflux started. I was shocked to see that he grew two inches in the last 3 months. I wasn't expecting that at all, especially since he wasn't eating well.

~Shayla

nick's spirit
05-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Every Pyr is different. When I sent a photo to the breeder of my one year old male, her response was...is he that fluffy or that big?!!
She thought that 130 pounds and the way he looked was a little too much weight.
I think this has been mentioned before, but green beans work great to take off the weight. I kept Nick on his regular dry food schedule and cut out the wet, and began giving him about a 1/2 of a can of green beans. It took awhile, but eventually he slimmed down to a svelt 120. He did look better, and ran faster too!! And loved the green beans.
He was always a "big boy", but I could feel his "waist" and ribs. the breeder & the vet were happy to see the "new" Nick.