PDA

View Full Version : She's a snapper!

FLTammiee
04-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Mya, my 6 month old GP is the first I've ever owned. I was wondering if her little behaviors are typical for this breed.

Doesn't matter who it is, family or strangers... she loves to walk behind snapping at the back of legs or the seat of our pants. I've told her NO! loudly, even spanked her for it and then she'll snap at you for doing that. I know it's not to hurt us, it's more a play type thing...but I can't get her to stop!!

Also, she HAS to be with me 24/7 (I don't mind) except when I'm trying to walk from room to room she gets in front of me and almost trips me. Most dogs follow, she stands in front and doesn't move!!

DPW
04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
I had read somewhere that a deep voiced GRRRRR!! worked better than saying NO!!! Tried it on our 6 month old for various behaviors and it really did make a difference. He respected the growl much more than the word no.
Also read that a can with some rocks in it thrown near the dog will stop unwanted behavior. When I was first introducing Cider to our goat herd he would occaisonally run at them. Always carried his lead, one of the chain types, with me when we went out to the goats. When he started to run I'd throw the balled up lead at his feet and he would stop immediatly. He did not like that one bit. So maybe you could find something noisy like a can with a few rocks or marbles in it that you could drop next to her when she began nipping at you from behind then give her a low growl.

2ndPyr
04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Good idea!
I'm going to give that a try for our Sebastian who takes great pleasure in chasing our cat through the house. When Rascal retaliates with swatting his nose, claws and all, Sabby in his typical Pyr stoicism takes it as a challenge.

Sebastian also does the stopping in front of me deal, I don't know why he does this, whether it's purposely to block me or not. He also does the rear end thing, as our female did too when she was a young pyr. Maybe it's their size?

fluffylove
04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Bark Busters uses a growl, the BAAAHHHH!!! in a growly tone. If it is not used correctly it will not work. Make sure you stand tall, shoulders back, and growl when the dog is about to make a mistake, not when it's already made it. Check them out on You Tube and varies bark busters websites. Get great info there. They also have books out, generic.

Make sure you igore demands for attention, patting, playing. You start it all, otherwise the growl will not work. Ignoring=respect from the dog. Ignore your dog completely for two weeks and you will not recognize your dog. Be forwarned, some dogs are so eager to be dominant, that the ignoring will make them worse in some areas. Good to call in a trainer if you have serious issues.

Remember, if the growl is not used properly, it will stop working. NOt to say it won't ever work, it will, but if your dog gets in many wins then it will stop, and only a trainer will help you get it back.

DPW
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Glad you chimed in Fluffy. I had known about but forgot to mention the importance of anticipating the behavior and stopping it before it starts. I learned this from the book you told me about. "Livestock Protection Dogs - Selection, Care and Training."
Another good point is not letting the dog "win." A few nights back Cider did NOT want to go back into his pen where he spends the night. His bedroom is an 8'x10' pen inside the barn where the goats sleep. He's still too young to let roam about on his own at night. Too many coyotes come around while the rest of us are sleeping.
But that evening he did not want to even go into the barn let alone his pen. I called, whistled and cajoled him. Tried to lead him in using one of his favorite tree branches he's brought home. No luck. He'd sit just outside the barn and look at me. If I got too close to him he would run up the hill behind the barn a little ways and bark while facing up hill. I'd call and he'd come back near the barn and sit again. I would walk toward him and up the hill he'd run again barking at some real or imagined threat he felt was up there. He did this eight or nine times.
I don't know. Maybe he was trying to show me that he knew what his job was and he couldn't do it locked in the barn. Like I said, I don't know. I do believe he is that intelligent though.
Anyway, I knew I couldn't just give up and let him have his way. It took about twenty minutes to a half hour of coaxing to get him to go into his pen. Most nights he still doesn't want to go into his pen but after taking the time that one night to calmly talk him into going in he reluctantly goes in fairly quickly now. The last thing I wanted to do was put a lead on him and drag him into his pen. I didn't want him to think that being put in his pen was punishment.
Although this example of changing behavior was relatively fast as far as training a dog goes I still thought maybe this little story of not letting the dog get it's way shows that it is well worth the time and effort.
I wish to apologize FLTammiee, for hijacking your post. Sorry.
DPW.

Cheech
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
What I do to get Noggin in her crate, when she is being stubborn, is lure her in with a treat & praise her. It works everytime and in a matter of a minute or two. I not talking about some of her dry food or cookie, I talking a piece of hot dog. :)

fluffylove
04-15-2009, 11:04 AM
A crate should be their den, a place of safetly. When dogs don't feel safe, and we fail to take control as 'alpha' then they do not want to be in their crate. After we did the BB training, my boy finally went into his crate, he knew we had it under control and the poor bugger could finally sleep!

Feed the dogs in the crate, cover the crates up. Set dogs up to correct them, and correct them early. The more you do it, the better. Ignore their demands for attention, play food, what have you, walks...etc...ignore before leaving and after you come home. Good start for respect from the dog. Hard thing to do, but it's well worth it!

Be proactive, not reactive, calm, stand tall, crouch if the dog does not come. Be consistent, very black and white, dogs are never grey, it's either right or wrong. Do not use punishment rather disciplin, there is a VERY big difference.